PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate the first day...NFL as a whole

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 08:03 AM
What 3-5 teams do you think did the best?

What 3-5 teams do you think stunk it up?

What players taken on the first day will make the biggest impact in 2008 with their new team?

red
04-27-2008, 08:12 AM
i don't know about every team

but i like what KC did they got 3 great players

the queens i'll put near the bottom. they only had the one pick, and i think they should have done what we did by drafting a qb

BallHawk
04-27-2008, 08:14 AM
I thought KC, PIT, and CAR all had great drafts. Yeah, Carolina got raped in the trade by Philly, but they got their guy and a potentially very good RB to go along with DeAngelo.

I think DET screwed up big time by not picking Mendenhall. Apart from that I don't see any teams that screwed up badly.

I think J-Stew will make an immediate impact in CAR and I think Keith Rivers will make an immediate impact, too.

red
04-27-2008, 08:18 AM
i also like the 2 guys arizona drafted

but i think that teams a lost cause, so it doesn't matter

Rastak
04-27-2008, 08:27 AM
i don't know about every team

but i like what KC did they got 3 great players

the queens i'll put near the bottom. they only had the one pick, and i think they should have done what we did by drafting a qb

Spending a 2 on a qb would have worked for me but I'm not disappointed...

#1 - Jared Allen
#2 - Tyrell Johnson

They really needed to get younger at safety and he was a good value where they picked him. They ranked dead last against the pass last year and most likely won't again this year.

I really like KCs draft. It's one thing to have lots of picks and another thing to turn them into good players and I think they did that.

I also liked Pittsburg's draft. Dallas did ok.

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 08:36 AM
What 3-5 teams do you think did the best?

There are 4 teams that I thought did very well.

The Chiefs had a great first day IMO. Landing Dorsey at #5 was a nice steal...similar to the Vikes getting AP at #7 last year. Albert will be a very solid OG in the NFL, and is another impact starter from day one. Flowers is a solid CB as well.

I like what the Steelers got. Sweed should be a good target for Big Ben, and Mendenhall was a tremendous pickup for a run oriented offense at #23. With the AFC being led by teams like NE, Indy and SD...all with multiple superstars on offense...Pittsburgh needed an offensive upgrade and got it.

Washington surprised me...and I kind of like it. Most people thought they would focus on defense with their first pick. Instead, they trade down and really bulk up their offense. Thomas and Kelly instantly give Campbell some huge targets...although both are very raw. You have to think one of them will pan out. TE Davis is a nice pick for a team that likes to run, as he can block and should be effective enough on play action.

Miami did well also...the team with the top pick should. Long is going to be a capable OT for a long time in the league, Merling is a capable starting DE who will excel against the run, and Henne was an important grab as the last remaining top shelf QB.

What 3-5 teams do you think stunk it up?

I thought Atlanta had a poor first day. Ryan might be a decent QB, but who on earth is he going to have to work with? Baker was a reach at #21. LB Lofton lacks the speed to be an impact player for a team that plays in a dome.

Denver gets a poor grade from me. Eddie Royal? For a team in desperate need at WR, I think Royal is a bad choice. Clady, while a good OL prospect, went somewhat high for a ZBS team.

The Bears continue to regress. Their pick at #14 is a guy who is somewhat of a project when other more impressive prospects were still on the board. RB Forte isn't going to scare anyone either. For a team needing some offensive weapons, they didn't really get good value for where they were picking.

Seattle struggled as well IMO. DE Jackson isn't a first round talent IMO and TE Carlson doesn't have any kind of speed to attack the seam at the next level.

What players taken on the first day will make the biggest impact in 2008 with their new team?

Chris Long should make an impact for STL, but I think Sedrick Ellis has the potential to get NO back to the playoffs.

pack4to84
04-27-2008, 08:38 AM
according to
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/rankings.html
Packers combined with 10 stars between the 3 players
KC combined 3 players 11 stars

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 08:38 AM

They took two guys very high on the athletic meter...who have that boom-or-bust label. Could turn out to be a very good or a very bad draft for AZ.

red
04-27-2008, 08:40 AM

They took two guys very high on the athletic meter...who have that boom-or-bust label. Could turn out to be a very good or a very bad draft for AZ.

yup, but both have a decent chance of being pro bowlers if they reach their potential

i think campbell was a real steal in the middle of the second round

Fritz
04-27-2008, 09:22 AM
I think KC did very well for themselves, set up by the rip-off of Minnesota.

Atlanta had an opportunity to do well but bumbled.

The Bears seemed pedestrian.

The Lions took a slow-footed mauler in the first round, a way-undersized LB in the second, but seem to have a good running back in the third.

The Eagles' draft doesn't impress me.

These are my fairly baseless opinions. In three years I could be totally, completely wrong.

red
04-27-2008, 09:34 AM

could it be that minnesota has built another future powerhouse by trading for one player?

K-town
04-27-2008, 10:50 AM

could it be that minnesota has built another future powerhouse by trading for one player?

Aren't you glad that Minnesota can build powerhouses for teams not in our division? :?

Bretsky
04-27-2008, 10:51 AM
1. KC
2. Dallas on day one