PDA

View Full Version : Packers 2008 Selections

Packgator
04-27-2008, 06:25 PM
The following is from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker#tab:dt-by-team|team-gb

Round 2, Pick 5 (36) (From Jets)

Jordy Nelson WR 6'3" 217 Kansas State

Pick Analysis: After playing defense as a sophomore, Nelson moved to receiver and caught 122 passes in 2007. He can also be dangerous in the return game with track speed. The Packers liked his hands and speed in pads.

Round 2, Pick 25 (56) (From Browns)

Brian Brohm QB 6'3" 227 Louisville

Pick Analysis: If you're Aaron Rodgers, you're probably scratching your head right about now. The Packers are looking to add a little competition to this year's training camp in order to motivate Brett Favre's successor. In his senior year at Louisville, Brohm improved his numbers from the season before, which seems to bode well for his ability to improve going forward.

Round 2, Pick 29 (60)

Patrick Lee DB 6'0" 200 Auburn

Pick Analysis: With some age on their cornerbacks, the Packers went with Lee. He will have a chance to learn from veterans Charles Woodson and Al Harris, while slowly working into the rotation. Lee deflected 20 passes to go with five interceptions.

Round 3, Pick 28 (91)

Jermichael Finley TE 6'5" 243 Texas

Pick Analysis: Finley has a lot of potential, but is somewhat immature and needs time to develop. He was an outstanding basketball player in high school and there is a tradition of tight ends with a basketball past becoming great players in the NFL.

Round 4, Pick 3 (102)

Jeremy Thompson DE 6'5" 264 Wake Forest

Pick Analysis: Thompson holds Wake Forest's record for an interception return at 86 yards. He is a great prospect at this point in the draft. Thompson ranked much higher than this on many draft boards.

Round 4, Pick 36 (135) (Compensatory selection)

Josh Sitton OT 6'4" 319 Central Florida

Pick Analysis: Sitton is a player that was discovered at Pro Day. There were a lot of scouts down there at Central Florida to watch Kevin Smith and he really impressed the teams. This is a good spot for him to go in the draft as his measurables had him soaring up draft boards.

Round 5, Pick 15 (150) (From Vikings)

Breno Giacomini OT 6'7" 303 Louisville

Pick Analysis: Giacomini spent time at tight end and on the offensive line in college, which you can see in his knee bend and athletic ability. He has exceptional size and decent speed. Giacomini loves football and has a passion for the game. He's a project but has a great attitude and promising skills.

Round 7, Pick 2 (209) (From Rams through Vikings)

Matt Flynn QB 6'2" 228 LSU

Pick Analysis: Flynn is a good decision maker, who has played in a successful program at LSU. With Brett Favre's departure, the Packers look to be stockpiling quarterbacks in order to create some competition for Aaron Rodgers.

Round 7, Pick 10 (217) (From Bengals through Rams)

Brett Swain WR 6'1" 200 San Diego State

Pick Analysis: Swainhas decent speed and size, but he's not particularly outstanding in any particular area. But he does have a chance to make the roster as a depth wide receiver. The Packers have done well in the past taking receivers late in the draft with players such as Donald Driver and Ruvell Martin.

Packnut
04-27-2008, 06:30 PM
On paper, this is TT's best draft imo. We'll have to see how it plays out a few years from now.

DRAFT GRADE: A

Lurker64
04-27-2008, 06:41 PM
This is the first one of Thompson's draft where we've gotten players who are offensive weapons that I find exciting. Other years it was "Well, I hope Greg Jennings/James Jones/Brandon Jackson/Deshawn Wynn can step up for us this season", this year I expect Finley and Nelson to be dangerous, it's an interesting feeling.

Packnut
04-27-2008, 06:58 PM
This is the first one of Thompson's draft where we've gotten players who are offensive weapons that I find exciting. Other years it was "Well, I hope Greg Jennings/James Jones/Brandon Jackson/Deshawn Wynn can step up for us this season", this year I expect Finley and Nelson to be dangerous, it's an interesting feeling.

Yep, I know what ya mean. I have no doubt about some of our picks which is a first for me in the TT era.

This does seem like the twilight zone for me though. Some of strongest TT supporters here seem to be a little on the un-enthusiastic side while I'm ecstatic. :lol:

I guess this is role reversal! :shock:

The Leaper
04-27-2008, 09:02 PM
What is the lesson we take away from this weekend?

Give Thompson an arsenal of 2nd-4th round picks and get the fuck out of his way.

b bulldog
04-27-2008, 09:12 PM
TT :bclap:

RashanGary
04-27-2008, 09:14 PM
What is the lesson we take away from this weekend?

Give Thompson an arsenal of 2nd-4th round picks and get the fuck out of his way.

:lol:

vince
04-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Add Ryan Grant to that list and you've got some guys that I think will add serious value.

I really hope Patrick Lee turns out to be part of the answer.

gbpackfan
04-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I love this draft.

A couple points:

1. The two QBs were great choices. We had NO depth and now we added Flynn and by some opinions, the best QB in the draft.

2. Jordy Nelson is packer people all the way. Great kid. Talk about talented youth at the WR position. Jennings, Jones, Nelson, and Martin. WOW! Then add vets like DD and Robinson. Yikes! Cover that!

3. Jermichael Finley is a guy I really wanted. He is raw but maybe the most talented TE in the draft. Watch this kid develop into an unbelievable weapon.

4. When you select o-linemen past the 2nd round, you really have to trust your GM. Let's be honest, it is hard for a fan to judge an OT taken in round 5. I'll trust in TT. We needed some young guys to develop and add depth. TT did his job here.

5. And getting Patrick Lee late in the 2nd, GREAT PICK! He will have time to learn behind two of the games best and may get in on some nickel or dime right away.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
I really liked the first 5 picks. I also liked the Flynn pick. Sounds like the two OL are athletic, but I'm not that happy with those picks. I don't understand the last pick. I know he could have been best player available, but we couldn't find a guy at LB, RB, S, or DT that was comparable in talent?

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2008, 09:33 PM
I didn't realize Swain was white too. What are the odds one team would draft two white wideouts?

b bulldog
04-27-2008, 09:55 PM
A 4.41 guy that they are going to try to use as a returner and possibly and PSquad player.

Lurker64
04-28-2008, 01:11 AM
A 4.41 guy that they are going to try to use as a returner and possibly and PSquad player.

Swain might also be a guy you can showcase in the preseason and trade away to a WR poor team a la Ryan Grant before final cuts. Then again, he might well win a roster spot this year.

Last year we carried 6 WRs most of the year: Driver, Jennings, Jones, Martin, Robinson, and Bodiford/Francies at varying points.

I expect that this year we will keep 6 WRs, Driver, Jennings, Jones, and Nelson are almost assured of roster spots. That leaves two spots for the best of Martin, Robinson, Swain, Bodiford, and Francies. I wouldn't be too heartbroken if we think we can find an upgrade over Robinson and Martin. I like Ruvell Martin personally, but I'm not going to lie to myself about his NFL potential.

packrulz
04-28-2008, 06:13 AM
I like the offensive flavor of the draft, 7 picks, and all of the picks were great value even while trading down. DE Thompson is cut, very impressive looking, I can see why TT traded up to get him. TT is very instinctive on the "runs" in the draft, O-lineman & D-lineman in the 1st & WR's in the 2nd, and easily manuvers around them, trading down while still drafting the guy he has highly rated. Still, he could've taken DE Phillip Merling in the 1st and RB Ray Rice in the 2nd and I wonder if he had waited he would've gotten Jordy Nelson anyway. I like the QB's, good value picks and it's better than teaching an aging vet the playbook and paying him all that money only to cut him in 2 years. ARod should have good protection from the O-line for years to come. Grade: B.

wist43
04-28-2008, 09:08 AM
I like the draft...

They didn't draft a single guy that will start this year, but there is a lot of talent there. If Brohm turns out, it'll look great.

I'm hopeful about Brohm... this team needs a QB to have a chance. So I have no problem bringing in QB's. If a guy proves he can't take you all the way - keep looking.

Thompson will move Montgomery or KGB off the roster... I've read considerably differing write-ups on this guy. One mag says he's a "one dimensional run stuffer", another says he has a good first step, but lacks burst and isn't a finisher".

I've discussed in another thread the Nelson situation... best case scenario would be for Jennings to be extended and step into the #1 wr role, phase Driver out in favor of Nelson over the next couple of years, and keep Jones at #3. If that plays out - I'm happy with the pick... I like Nelson as a player.

Overall, good draft... my initial thought for a grade, as meaningless as it is, is a B.

If Brohm pans out - and I think he'll get his chances as I don't think Rodgers can stay healthy - then this has a chance to be a very good draft class.

Tarlam!
04-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Hey Wisty, howz ticks?

How about that Packer MLB, whassisnameagain?

:P

The Leaper
04-28-2008, 09:12 AM
I like the draft...

What!

No damnation from Wist?

Son of a bitch.

:)

oregonpackfan
04-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Overall, I like TT's picks very much. Yes, I even agree with Wist!

To truly evaluate the effectiveness of the Packer's picks, we need to wait 3 years or so and see how these guys have developed.

wist43
04-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Hey Wisty, howz ticks?

How about that Packer MLB, whassisnameagain?

:P

Hey Tar :)

Super busy these days... trying to get my ass moved down to Florida!!! If I play my cards right I should never have to fire up a snowblower again - speaking of which, anybody need a snowblower??? LOL

Can't remember that LB you're talking about??? Dumber than a rock, but at least he's learned thru rote. He did have a pretty good year - I calls em as I sees em :thank:

Tarlam!
04-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Good luck Wisty! I hope you make it to Florida, but I also hope you make the 2nd Packers Gathering! Love to meet ya!