PDA

View Full Version : Why did we do it?

Brando19
04-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Why did the Packers trade picks with the Vikings? That enabled the Vikings to get John David Booty. If he ends up being a great QB...we'll have to wonder why we traded with the Queens.

Carolina_Packer
04-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Why did the Packers trade picks with the Vikings? That enabled the Vikings to get John David Booty. If he ends up being a great QB...we'll have to wonder why we traded with the Queens.

As stated on the 2nd Day Draft thread, the Vikings might have found another trading partner and gotten Booty anyway. Glass half full outlook says we got an extra pick out of it, which turned out to be Matt Flynn. If Flynn sticks and Booty flops, what then?

gbpackfan
04-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Come on. If we didn't do it, the guys right behind us would have. The Vikings wanted Booty, the got him. Oh well.

hoosier
04-27-2008, 08:06 PM
John David Booty < Cade McNown (by a long shot)

Tony Oday
04-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Because any QB the Vikes try to develop fails...badly! ;) hehe

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Booty has smaller hands than Culpepper, scored 14 on his wunderlic, and doesn't have a strong arm. Also, Leinart had an incredible career at USC, and hasn't done anything at the pro level.

Now, he may turn out great, but chances are Thompson didn't give the Vikings the final piece to their Super Bowl puzzle. There's probably a reason he was passed until round 5.

oregonpackfan
04-27-2008, 11:18 PM
I watched Booty play against the Ducks, Beavers, and a couple of other games. He is a solid Division I quarterback. I doubt if he will make it as a pro.

BF4MVP
04-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Time will tell how good he'll be I guess, but there's a reason he lasted til the 5th..

I'm just surprised they passed on both Brohm and Henne..

MadtownPacker
04-28-2008, 01:57 AM
Souped up USC teams make all their QBs look good. Not worried about this at all.

Lurker64
04-28-2008, 03:45 AM
In his post draft press conference Thompson explained his thoughts about trading in the division. He says that if it's for a player, he'd never even consider it under any circumstance, but in the draft it's just numbers so if you think the numbers you're offered are better value than the numbers you have currently, you make the trade no matter who you're trading with.

I think this makes sense. After all, there's no guarantee that Booty wouldn't have been there for the Vikings when they picked later on in the fifth, and there's no guarantee the Packers wouldn't have taken Breno at 137 anyway. So maybe the Vikings gave up a later round pick for nothing. Maybe they got a great deal, there's no way to tell. But since all you're trading is numbers, you don't get too hung up about it.

twoseven
04-28-2008, 04:38 AM
You would think the Vikes would have exhausted themselves trying to find a way to trade with ANY other team first before calling GB. Why would they want to give us extra picks if they could so easily trade with another team between 137-149? ATL, DEN, KC, CAR, CHI, DAL, NO, CIN, BUF were there, and I could see JDB realistically garnering interest from any of those teams.

Also, to suggest they could stand pat at 150 and get him calls to question the idea of trading up 14 spots to begin with. Say what you want, but just looking at things logically, there's no way you can sit back and say the Vikings get JDB anyway without GB agreeing to the trade. It is just as likely that they called every other team and we were the ONLY one that agreed to swap.

I don't like the trade for the simple fact that Tavaris Jackson may be the only real weak link on that team at this point (I thought they were foolish to pass on Brohm and Henne in the second), and I am an advocate of playing draft defense within your divison. Other than that, big deal, and very funny name I'll also enjoy taunting the MNs about.

Rastak
04-28-2008, 08:41 AM
You would think the Vikes would have exhausted themselves trying to find a way to trade with ANY other team first before calling GB. Why would they want to give us extra picks if they could so easily trade with another team between 137-149? ATL, DEN, KC, CAR, CHI, DAL, NO, CIN, BUF were there, and I could see JDB realistically garnering interest from any of those teams.

Also, to suggest they could stand pat at 150 and get him calls to question the idea of trading up 14 spots to begin with. Say what you want, but just looking at things logically, there's no way you can sit back and say the Vikings get JDB anyway without GB agreeing to the trade. It is just as likely that they called every other team and we were the ONLY one that agreed to swap.

I don't like the trade for the simple fact that Tavaris Jackson may be the only real weak link on that team at this point (I thought they were foolish to pass on Brohm and Henne in the second), and I am an advocate of playing draft defense within your divison. Other than that, big deal, and very funny name I'll also enjoy taunting the MNs about.

Here's what Minnesota GM had to say ablout dealing with the Packers:

Trading with the enemy: The Vikings sent their seventh-round pick to Green Bay to move up 13 spots for Booty. Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said it wasn't unusual to deal with a divisional rival.

"I think it is if it's a player involved," Spielman said, "but the draft, the picks are your currency. ... Now, if it's a player involved, that might be a whole different ballgame."

MadtownPacker
04-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Didn't the Packers use the pick from the vikings to draft Flynn? If so then this topic works both ways.

SD GB fan
04-28-2008, 12:58 PM
i say we use flynn only against the vikings. he will beat them twice a year with JDB sitting on the bench looking dumb