PDA

View Full Version : Draft Grades

GrnBay007
04-27-2008, 11:51 PM
There will be all kinds of Draft Grades coming out in the next day or two...maybe we can keep them all together in one thread to compare.

And yeah, yeah, I know you guys say you can't grade a draft for a couple years....but it's still fun to see what they say.

I'm sure most of you won't like this one......

draft grades for NFC teams
by John Czarnecki

Chicago

The Bears may have been tempted to replace departed receiver Bernard Berrian in the first round, but instead may have found their slot receiver in Vanderbilt's Earl Bennett in the third round. Bennett is the first SEC receiver to have 75 receptions for three straight seasons. Top pick Chris Williams has the ability and feet to be a starting left tackle — he allowed only two sacks over a two-year period and almost 1,600 plays. The Bears allowed 43 sacks last season. Williams dominated most drills at the Senior Bowl. Arkansas DT Marcus Harrison was a need, and he played last season on a tender knee that had surgery in the spring. Harrison has first-round talent, but seventh-round character. LSU safety Craig Steltz will remind older Bears fans of Gary Fencik with his tremendous run support. Tulane RB Matt Forte was a need, considering the injury history of Cedric Benson.
Grade: A

Detroit

Matt Millen seems to be getting a handle on this draft business. After wasting picks on wide receivers in years past, Millen needed a right tackle and got one in Boston College's Gosder Cherilus. Of course, Millen will be questioned for trading with Kansas City and giving them Branden Albert. With the loss of Boss Bailey, the Lions had a need for an outside linebacker, and Jordan Dizon averaged 13 tackles a game at Colorado. Millen loves his instincts and nose for the ball. Central Florida RB Kevin Smith was very productive in college and could move right into the lineup with always injured Kevin Jones no longer on the team.
Grade: B

Green Bay

Well, the Packers definitely believe that Brett Favre is retired, and they sent him a message just in case he was reconsidering his situation when they picked Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm with the 58th overall pick in a trade with the Browns. Brohm slid this season even though he started the year as a potential top 10 quarterback. The Packers went for value, much like Ted Thompson did when he grabbed a sliding Aaron Rodgers a few years back. The Packers spend their first choice on Kansas State WR Jordy Nelson, who caught 122 passes last season. Nelson has track speed, but the Packers already have a lot of youth at this position. Young defenders Jeremy Thompson, an end from Wake Forest, and Patrick Lee, a cornerback from Auburn, are very athletic guys who figure to stick and compete on a very young defense.
Grade: C+

Minnesota

The Vikings didn't have much firepower after trading many of their top picks for Kansas City pass rusher Jared Allen and giving him the richest defensive contract in the NFL. Top pick Tyrell Johnson of Arkansas State is a very physical cornerback who could even play free safety. With Tarvaris Jackson as quarterback, the Vikes grabbed John David Booty, who started 20 games for USC, in the fifth round. Booty figures to know the system and is an accurate passer. Florida State DT Letroy Guion is a run stuffer with little pass-rush skill. With center Matt Birk moaning about his contract, Notre Dame center John Sullivan provided some insurance in Round 6.
Grade: C

For the rest of the NFL teams:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8079936/Handing-out-draft-grades-for-NFC-teams

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2008, 12:00 AM
That's the lowest grade for us that I've seen. Can you post the ones that liked our draft please?
:D

GrnBay007
04-28-2008, 12:06 AM
By Larry Weisman, USA TODAY

GRADE: B

• Minnesota Vikings: Count DE Jaren Allen as their No. 1 pick (and two No. 3s). He had 15½ sacks last year to lead the NFL and he brings a missing element to this defense, which ranked first in the NFL against the run. So even minus an influx of young talent, they used choices well. QB John David Booty in the fifth round is a great value play for a team with issues at the position. Also like S Tyrell Johnson.

GRADE: B
• Chicago Bears: Helped their offense with first three picks but no QB, alas. OT Chris Williams solidifies a weak position and should start immediately. Bit of a stretch in second round for RB Matt Forte but the Bears cannot go solo with Cedric Benson. WR Earl Bennett has decent size. Love SS Craig Steltz for what he'll bring to Chicago's standout special teams.

GRADE: B-
• Green Bay Packers: Skipped out of the first round in deal with New York Jets. Grabbed WR Jordy Nelson in second round and this could be a steal though a bit mystifying since the Packers aren't short of talent at this position. The kid can fly, runs 4.5 40-yard dash. Filled needs later with CB Patrick Lee and TE Jemichael Finley. Stole DE Jeremy Thompson in fourth round. QB Brian Brohm could have gone higher.

GRADE: C-
• Detroit Lions: Need position at RT seems to have dictated choice of Gosder Cherilus, who should have gone lower. Bit of a reach but he plays with the sort of ferocity this team can use, especially after allowing 117 sacks over last two seasons and losing Damien Woody as free agent. LB Jordon Dizon is undersized but fits the Tampa-2 scheme and will play hard for them. RB Kevin Smith probably not the answer in a troublesome spot.

Rest of the NFL:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-04-27-draft-grades_N.htm

the_idle_threat
04-28-2008, 12:29 AM
I like how both of these commentators make positive remarks about Jordy's speed, while he is described elsewhere as average in that department, and was even described by McGinn in his pre-draft rankings as well below average. People can't quite get a handle on his speed.

I get the impression he's fast enough. Jennings' and Jones' speed was described as average and below average, respectively, when they came out, and they are fast enough. IIRC, Jennnings was clocked at 4.45, and Jones at 4.55. Jordy's right in the middle.

The Leaper
04-28-2008, 07:48 AM
I like how both of these commentators make positive remarks about Jordy's speed, while he is described elsewhere as average in that department, and was even described by McGinn in his pre-draft rankings as well below average. People can't quite get a handle on his speed.

How can you watch him blow past Talib...one of the most athletically gifted CBs in this draft...on a play where both guys are neck and neck when the QB releases the ball and think he is well below average in speed?

Rastak
04-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Here's Kipers:

NFC North
Chicago Bears: GRADE: B
Chris Williams is the left tackle the Bears need from a pass-protection standpoint, and he'll start as a rookie. Matt Forte is a hard-nosed running back. He's not flashy, but he's elusive. I like what the Bears did on Day 2, starting with Vanderbilt WR Earl Bennett, who reminds me of Hines Ward. Arkansas DT Marcus Harrison lasted until the third round because of some off-field concerns, and Nebraska's Zack Bowman is a big corner who was once projected as a first-round pick, before he suffered injuries to both knees. LSU safety Craig Steltz -- who reminds me of former Bear Doug Plank -- will be a solid special teams player and could push for a starting job. With his height, Arkansas WR Marcus Monk could be a red zone threat and he qualifies as a very good seventh-round pick. He looked like a second-rounder after his junior year, and ran a 4.42 in the 40-yard dash, which is excellent for a 6-foot-4, 220-pound receiver. Tight end Kellen Davis has tremendous athletic ability but he needs to be more consistent.

Detroit Lions: GRADE: C+
Gosder Cherilus is a right tackle who is an effective run-blocker, which is why the Lions drafted him in the first round. But third-round pick Kevin Smith is the key player in the Lions' draft class. Smith proved at Central Florida he could carry the load, and in my opinion, he'll be the Lions' starting running back in Week 1. Jordon Dizon is undersized for a middle linebacker, but he has a chance to be productive in Detroit's scheme, because he has the ability to cover the deep middle. Fullback Jerome Felton is more effective as a runner than a blocker, but he's a good value pick in the fifth round. Army safety Caleb Campbell went in the seventh round and is big at 229 pounds. Campbell could be an OLB if he puts on 10 to 15 pounds. Cliff Avril could be a decent pass-rusher, although he had only six sacks in 2007. DT Andre Fluellen flashed big-time ability early in his career at Florida State but never lived up to it.

Green Bay Packers: GRADE: B-
The Packers took a QB on both days of the draft: Brian Brohm in the second round and Matt Flynn in the seventh. Brohm is cerebral and accurate, but can he stay healthy? Flynn is big, has good arm strength and can run for a first down if he has to. Flynn has intangibles, something you must have to lead a team to a national title. Second-round pick Jordy Nelson is a great athlete, and will be a faster version of former San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Dwight Clark. Patrick Lee is a very good cover corner and a solid second-round pick. Tight end Jermichael Finley has a ton of talent, he just has to make strides in terms of catching the ball and blocking. Defensive end Jeremy Thompson has a similar attitude and motor to current Packer Aaron Kampman.

Minnesota Vikings: GRADE: B
They had only one pick in the first four rounds. I had safety Tyrell Johnson going in the first round, so to get him in Round 2 (43rd overall) is a great pick because Johnson has big-time skills. In the fifth round the Vikings took John David Booty, an accurate quarterback who is great at throwing on the move and sees the field extremely well. Letroy Guion is more of a developmental defensive tackle, and center John Sullivan was average in 2007, but at times looked very good in his career. Factor in the addition of DE Jared Allen, and this was a good draft for the Vikings.

RashanGary
04-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Scout Lenny McGill (the guy who was the primary scout in the region) had a comment on it. I'll try to paraphrase as best I can, but if you want to hear it yourself go to packers.com

Anyway, he said Nelson had "average" speed. He said there are very few 4.3 or 4.4 guys and that 4.5 is good enough. He went on to say that his short area burst and very good size combined with average speed make him a very capable weapon. When you're a big guy and are very hard to cover on short routes, CB's have to start selling out to stop you. The size and sudden route running set up the deep stuff with Nelson. IT's the opposite with Jennings. I think they're a good pair.

Tarlam!
04-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Factor in the addition of DE Jared Allen, and this was a good draft for the Vikings.

Factor in the addition of Ryan Grant and I say we get an A-.

The Leaper
04-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Factor in the addition of Ryan Grant and I say we get an A-.

If you factor that in, and you should, we get a damned A+.

red
04-28-2008, 09:12 AM
i really don't think the bears had that great of a draft

The Leaper
04-28-2008, 09:18 AM

I agree with you. I thought after day one that the Bears perhaps had one of the worst drafts to that point. They did improve it a little on day two...but it was still a relatively mediocre draft for the Bears IMO.

red
04-28-2008, 09:30 AM
so, nfl reports that a paper was reporting that chris williams had a serious neck injury and that because of that some teams were taking him off their boards

he did slip, and the bears scarfed him up, he quickly laughed and said there is no problem with his neck

the source of the original story?

the chicago sun times

is this not the biggest pussiest bullshit move you've heard of?

those fucks down there have no class what-so-ever, they'll stoop to any level to try and win

oregonpackfan
04-28-2008, 09:41 AM
I find it difficult to apply a grade to any team's draft until at least 3 years after that draft has been completed.

We all have seen many examples of where "can't miss" first round picks flop in the NFL while at the same time some 7th rounders turn out to be all-Pros.

For that reason, I suggest any sportswriter or blogger hold off grading the effectiveness of a team's draft until 3 years after the draft.

run pMc
04-28-2008, 10:16 AM
the_idle_threat wrote:

I don't think a 4.5 is slow. I also think some players can't run fast in pads. It looks like this guy can. I thought it was interesting how Talib gave up on the play once Nelson got past him and caught the ball. Either he knew he couldn't catch him or he just didn't care.
I wouldn't put too much into one play...it's the 122 catches that jump out to me. This guy was averaging 10 catches a game, so I'd think he saw some bracket coverage. He knows how to get open...I'd rather have a guy who can do that and catch the ball than a Troy Williamson.

Also agree with JH about how a bigger WR that is dangerous in the short/intermediate stuff can help to setup the deep routes.

Counting Ryan Grant into this draft should bump the grade up higher.

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Kind of funny. Writers aren't too quick to give the Packers a low grade on the draft now. You see a lot of comments like this now: "but it’s hard to rip him for a methodology that has worked in the bigger picture". This was from Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports.

Green Bay Packers
Picks: WR Jordy Nelson, QB Brian Brohm, DB Pat Lee, TE Jermichael Finley, DL Jeremy Thompson, OL Josh Sitton, OL Breno Giacomini, QB Matt Flynn, WR Brett Swain
Positives: Nelson, Brohm, Lee, Flynn
Negatives: No tackles drafted until the fourth and fifth round.
Bottom line: B. GM Ted Thompson was active as usual and produced a robust class size of nine picks. He once again used his first pick on a position that didn’t seem to be a huge need (wideout), but it’s hard to rip him for a methodology that has worked in the bigger picture. Getting Brohm so late in the second round is a coup. He’ll create competition with Aaron Rodgers, and if they both develop well, the Packers have some capital at the position for future trades. Flynn likely won’t make the team but is good value late. Overall, it was a good class for depth.

mngolf19
04-28-2008, 12:45 PM

I agree with you. I thought after day one that the Bears perhaps had one of the worst drafts to that point. They did improve it a little on day two...but it was still a relatively mediocre draft for the Bears IMO.

I've been thinking that too. How could anyone think the Bears draft was good? I wouldn't put it any better than Det and that wasn't great either.

Patler
04-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Kind of funny. Writers aren't too quick to give the Packers a low grade on the draft now. You see a lot of comments like this now: "but it’s hard to rip him for a methodology that has worked in the bigger picture". This was from Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports.

Green Bay Packers
Picks: WR Jordy Nelson, QB Brian Brohm, DB Pat Lee, TE Jermichael Finley, DL Jeremy Thompson, OL Josh Sitton, OL Breno Giacomini, QB Matt Flynn, WR Brett Swain
Positives: Nelson, Brohm, Lee, Flynn
Negatives: No tackles drafted until the fourth and fifth round.
Bottom line: B. GM Ted Thompson was active as usual and produced a robust class size of nine picks. He once again used his first pick on a position that didn’t seem to be a huge need (wideout), but it’s hard to rip him for a methodology that has worked in the bigger picture. Getting Brohm so late in the second round is a coup. He’ll create competition with Aaron Rodgers, and if they both develop well, the Packers have some capital at the position for future trades. Flynn likely won’t make the team but is good value late. Overall, it was a good class for depth.

What makes me chuckle about "analysis" like this one, is that the positives were who the Packers picked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but the negative was not drafting O-linemen until the 4th and 5th round. So what were the Packers supposed to do, draft the guys they did in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, AND draft a bunch of linemen in those same rounds?

How can you give them a positive for what they did in certain rounds and a negative for what they didn't do in those same rounds?

GrnBay007
04-28-2008, 01:10 PM
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Green Bay Packers

Best pick: Taking quarterback Brian Brohm in the second round will turn out to be a great pick. He will be the starter in a few years.

Questionable move: They drafted Kansas State receiver Jordy Nelson in the second round, higher than most expected. There were also some bigger-name receivers still on the board.

Second-day gem: Fourth-round pick Jeremy Thompson, a defensive end out of Wake Forest, can help liven up the pass rush.

Overall grade: B-. The pick of Brohm brings their grade up. They did add some depth and competition at positions (OL, TE, CB) that needed it.

Minnesota Vikings

Best pick: I love the selection of Arkansas State safety Tyrell Johnson in the second round. He is that speedy safety all teams want.

Questionable move: Trading their first-round pick to get Jared Allen, who has off-the-field issues. What happens if there is a misstep?

Second-day gem: If defensive tackle Letroy Guion can get his weight in check, he could be a steal in the fifth round.

Overall grade: B. Johnson helps the defense and fifth-round pick John David Booty might end up pushing Tarvaris Jackson for the starting quarterback job.

Chicago Bears

Best pick: Third-round pick Marcus Harrison will become a force in the middle of their defense. Some off-field issues prevented him from being a higher selection.

Questionable move: Taking tackle Chris Williams with the 14th pick in the first round came after several teams took him off their boards for medical reasons (back). Chicago better hope that doesn't become a problem.

Second-day gem: I love tight end Kellen Davis, whom the Bears selected in the fifth round. He's a strong, athletic player.

Overall grade: B+. Aside from the questions about Williams, they did a nice job. Harrison will make this draft.

Detroit Lions

Best pick: They have issues at running back, so trading up in the third round to take Central Florida's Kevin Smith was a nice move.

Questionable move: They took Boston College tackle Gosder Cherlius in the first round instead of Jeff Otah, who was still on the board.

Second-day gem: Third-round pick Cliff Avril, a pass rusher from Purdue, is the kind of edge player Rod Marinelli likes.

Overall grade: B+. Give credit to Matt Millen. He added a lot of good football players in this draft. He had a lot of picks and did a nice job with them.

hoosier
04-28-2008, 01:25 PM
so, nfl reports that a paper was reporting that chris williams had a serious neck injury and that because of that some teams were taking him off their boards

he did slip, and the bears scarfed him up, he quickly laughed and said there is no problem with his neck

the chicago sun times

those fucks down there have no class what-so-ever, they'll stoop to any level to try and win

Considering how much time and money NFL teams invest in scouting, I have a hard time believing that a media rumor would have any effect on how teams look at a player at draft time. If a team considering picking him had concerns about a serious injury they could always have their doctors start poking and prodding.

Badgerinmaine
04-28-2008, 01:28 PM
From draftseason.com:

Green Bay Packers
Packers didn't waste any time giving Aaron Rodgers some competition by adding 2 quality quarterbacks in Brohm and Flynn. Jermichael Finley was a great pick in round 3 and could be one of the steals of the draft.
FINAL GRADE: B

Chicago Bears
Chris Williams was the right choice in round 1 as he can add some youth to an aging offensive line. Forte and Earl Bennett were solid additions to their offense as well. They found value throughout the entire draft but it's almost shocking that they didn't address the quarterback position.
FINAL GRADE: B

Detroit Lions
Millen made another interesting pick when he took Gosder Cherilus over Jeff Otah, only time will tell how that works out. The Lions then reached for Jordan Dizon in round 2, and made another iffy pick when they took Kevin Smith over Jamaal Charles. They got a nice pass rusher in Cliff Avril in the 3rd, and the rest of their draft was suspect.
FINAL GRADE: D+

Minnesota Vikings
When you add Jared Allen their already solid draft it was a great 2 days for the Vikings. Tyrell Johnson was rated by many as the top safety in the draft. USC quarterback John David booty will be very interesting to watch compete with Jackson in training camp.
FINAL GRADE: A-

Top grade for the pack I have seen so far is from Mike Mulligan of the Chicago Sun-Times, who gives Green Bay a B+. But yeah, it's a little early to judge...

HarveyWallbangers
04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
So, when looking back, will Ryan Grant get added to the grade for last year's draft or this year's draft. They made the trade last year, but they used this year's 6th round pick.

Badgerinmaine
04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Wait, there is a higher grade for the Packers from NBCSports.com:
Green Bay Packers

GM Ted Thompson knows what he’s doing. The Packers used their usual best-player-available strategy at No. 36 (receiver Jordy Nelson) and No. 56 (quarterback Brian Brohm), and came away with a solid cornerback prospect (Auburn’s Patrick Lee) at the end of the second round. Porter is experience in press-man coverage.

Third-round tight end Jermichael Finley can stretch the field. Defensive end Jeremy Thompson should replace Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila as a situational pass rusher by 2010. LSU quarterback Matt Flynn, who the Packers nabbed in round seven, was a worthwhile investment that late.

Grade: A-
That was highest in the division.

Tarlam!
04-28-2008, 01:41 PM
I find it disgusting that the critics are valuing Jared Allen and ignoring Ryan Grant when dealing out their grades.

So what, we pe picked two QBs. Big fuckin' deal. We also picked a starting RB with our 6th round pick.

Brohm
04-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah. it's funny how EVERY grade/report out there fails to mention that. If the add the Allen trade in to the Vikings, they should add the Grant pick-up. Hell, Grant has already played for us as well....

Guess we'll just have to go 13-3 again :P

sheepshead
04-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Grading a draft carries as much folly as predicting one.

Carolina_Packer
04-28-2008, 02:30 PM
I heard on Mike and Mike, but have not read Peter King's MMQB column where he says regarding the Bears not choosing a QB that it wasn't just curious, it was negligent. Perhaps Angelo knows something the critics don't. If they struggle at QB this year, who will they have to blame? Rex? Orton? Angelo...yes. I'm not saying that a rookie is going to be better, but the draft is about the future, so how's that future at QB looking right now Bears fans? Geez, you could have stolen the kid from KY who ended up going to the Giants. I have no idea if he fits the Bears offense, but come on, do something.

sheepshead
04-28-2008, 03:14 PM
I heard on Mike and Mike, but have not read Peter King's MMQB column where he says regarding the Bears not choosing a QB that it wasn't just curious, it was negligent. Perhaps Angelo knows something the critics don't. If they struggle at QB this year, who will they have to blame? Rex? Orton? Angelo...yes. I'm not saying that a rookie is going to be better, but the draft is about the future, so how's that future at QB looking right now Bears fans? Geez, you could have stolen the kid from KY who ended up going to the Giants. I have no idea if he fits the Bears offense, but come on, do something.

The Bears wouldn't know a QB if a Montana,Favre,Unitas,Starr clone was made for them. As Napoleon said, Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake.

Scott Campbell
04-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Maybe we should start grading the analysts.

Scott Campbell
04-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Kiper - F
Mortenson - D-
Clayton - F+
Pascarelli - D
PFW - D-
PFT - F+
William Henderson - B+

Patler
04-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Maybe we should start grading the analysts.

Now THAT is a great idea for an in depth article by some aspiring writer. Analyze the analysts over the last 10 years. Analyze the "grades" they have given to the teams.

LL2
04-28-2008, 04:23 PM

King was basically saying the Bears are stupid, because they haven't drafted a QB in 3 years and continue to put their future in Rexman and Orton. Smart teams always draft QB prospects.

GrnBay007
04-28-2008, 05:13 PM

Wonder how all the Bear fans feel about that. Anyone talk to a Bear fan since the draft?

A co-worker Bear fan called me today and was just furious they didn't draft a QB.....and had lots of good things to say about Brohm.

GrnBay007
04-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Peter King

(team drafts he didn't like)

1. Chicago. The Bears had 12 draft choices this year. No quarterback picked. Chicago had nine draft choices in 2007. No quarterback picked. Chicago had seven draft choices in 2006. Three years with a quarterback need, 28 draft choices, and never a passer picked. This isn't odd. It's negligent.

The thing that drives me craziest about the draft is when you see a team with talent not doing enough to bolster the most important position on the field, over and over and over again. With Chad Henne, who absolutely should have been a first-rounder, and solid guy Brian Brohm on the board, the Bears passed on both and picked a very productive running back from Tulane, Matt Forte.

There's a slight chance -- maybe 20 or 25 percent, I'd say -- that the Bears have their quarterback of the future on the roster in either Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton. Maybe. But whether you believe it or not, you have to admit it's silly not to backstop the most important position in sports. What is it about the undying love of Grossman that makes Chicago unable or unwilling to turn the page?

pack4to84
04-28-2008, 06:44 PM

Wonder how all the Bear fans feel about that. Anyone talk to a Bear fan since the draft?

A co-worker Bear fan called me today and was just furious they didn't draft a QB.....and had lots of good things to say about Brohm.The ones I talked to today said they where shocked that the bears didn't draft a QB in the first 3 rd.

Lurker64
04-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Rotoworld gives us the second highest grade in the NFC:

Green Bay Packers
Grade: A-

GM Ted Thompson knows what he's doing. The Packers used their usual best-player-available strategy at No. 36 (Jordy Nelson) and No. 56 (Brian Brohm), and came away with a solid cornerback prospect (Auburn's Patrick Lee) at the end of the second round. Porter is experienced in press-man coverage. Third-round TE Jermichael Finley can stretch the field. Jeremy Thompson should replace Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila as a situational pass rusher by 2010. LSU QB Matt Flynn, who the Packers nabbed in round seven, was a worthwhile investment that late with uncertainty at quarterback.

Source (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=174&articleid=30257)

red
04-28-2008, 09:25 PM

the chicago sun times

Considering how much time and money NFL teams invest in scouting, I have a hard time believing that a media rumor would have any effect on how teams look at a player at draft time. If a team considering picking him had concerns about a serious injury they could always have their doctors start poking and prodding.

they wouldn't have time to check him out when the "report" claiming he had a serious neck injury came out the morning of the draft

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Clifton Brown of Sporting News graded the Packers well:

A-

Packers. Brian Brohm gives the Packers insurance at quarterback if Aaron Rodgers falters. Jordy Nelson is a deep-threat receiver who also returns kicks. They got great value for a team picking near the bottom.

Not sure I like it though. Seems are picks do the best when they are panned. When the experts think we had a good draft, it usually ends up bad, so I'm happy the Packers haven't gotten universal praise.

oregonpackfan
05-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Peter King

(team drafts he didn't like)

1. Chicago. The Bears had 12 draft choices this year. No quarterback picked. Chicago had nine draft choices in 2007. No quarterback picked. Chicago had seven draft choices in 2006. Three years with a quarterback need, 28 draft choices, and never a passer picked. This isn't odd. It's negligent.

The thing that drives me craziest about the draft is when you see a team with talent not doing enough to bolster the most important position on the field, over and over and over again. With Chad Henne, who absolutely should have been a first-rounder, and solid guy Brian Brohm on the board, the Bears passed on both and picked a very productive running back from Tulane, Matt Forte.

There's a slight chance -- maybe 20 or 25 percent, I'd say -- that the Bears have their quarterback of the future on the roster in either Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton. Maybe. But whether you believe it or not, you have to admit it's silly not to backstop the most important position in sports. What is it about the undying love of Grossman that makes Chicago unable or unwilling to turn the page?

I am baffled as well why the Bears haven't picked a QB in the past 3 years given their struggle at that position. Fortunately, that situation has not been, and continues not to be, a problem for the Packers.

Can you imagine the threads on this forum if the Packers were in the same QB situation as the Bears? Heck, I would be one of the posters continually bitchin' and complaining about it!

Let the Bears have this self-destructive problem. They deserve it.

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2008, 10:02 AM
The Packers draft QBs when they don't appear to need them. The Bears don't draft QBs when they really do need them.

Freak Out
05-15-2008, 11:40 AM
The Packers draft QBs when they don't appear to need them. The Bears don't draft QBs when they really do need them.

It amazes me that Bears fans aren't marching on Soldier Field with torches and pitchforks. After the QB debacles of the last few years and they still act like Grossman/Orton will get it done? The Emperor has no clothes.

hoosier
05-15-2008, 12:12 PM
It amazes me that Bears fans aren't marching on Soldier Field with torches and pitchforks. After the QB debacles of the last few years and they still act like Grossman/Orton will get it done? The Emperor has no clothes.

We need to put things in historical perspective. The best that Bear fans have seen at QB in the last four decades has been Jim McMahon (not including visiting team QBs). Maybe they have simply become accustomed to mediocrity. But it is kind of remarkable how long the Bears have gone without a quality QB. Is there any other NFL team that has such a long record of futility at that position?

K-town
05-15-2008, 12:19 PM
How about Detroit?
Greg Landry was serviceable, but nothing really special.
Fainting Goat Boy Scott Mitchell? Blech.
Jon Kitna, Garcia, Majik at the end of his career, Joey Heatherton...
That's a realllllly crrrrappy QB lineage.

K-town
05-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Dang. Forgot about these Detroit QBs:
Milt Plum
Bill Munson
Gary Danielson
Eric Hipple
Mike McMahon
Rodney Peete

Pop Quiz: When did a QB from the Lions last go to a Pro Bowl?
For bonus points, same question for a Bears QB.

CaliforniaCheez
05-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Sometimes you just have to consider the circumstances.

I know no one will say the NY Giants had a great draft, but I think they did a lot with what they had to work with. They didn't screw it up.

The Chiefs had a lot to work with and used it well.

The Lions and Dolphins had good drafting position and to some degree squandered it.

Generally, the Packer picks are developmental. They are not yet ready. Finley is typical. They all need at least 2 years to show something. The Packers have the luxury to go for higher potential guys than ready to go players.

Sitton is compensation for Ahman Green who was on the downhill side of a career.

Brohm was the trade for Corey Williams (a 6th round pick).

It is a a bit of a gamble but some of them are going to far exceed expectations. Some will be cut and forgotten soon enough.

The Packers did well with what they had to work with. They missed one or two chances at cornerbacks. One with the trade up(Penn St) and possibly one with the first round trade down.

This won't be a bad draft.

Zool
05-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Eric Hipple - Det

Steve Walsh - Chi

What do I win?

Guiness
05-15-2008, 01:34 PM

the chicago sun times

He laughed it up, 'he' being Williams?

Why the heck would he do that? If his draft position slipped because of this, it cost him a lot of money. If this did happen, I'd be suing the paper for libel if they had no source.

Unless for some reason he wanted to get drafted by the Bears, and the Bears only.

K-town
05-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Eric Hipple - Det

Steve Walsh - Chi

What do I win?

The undying admiration of your fellow Packerrats.
And a drink. Some day.

hoosier
05-15-2008, 02:28 PM
How about Detroit?
Greg Landry was serviceable, but nothing really special.
Fainting Goat Boy Scott Mitchell? Blech.
Jon Kitna, Garcia, Majik at the end of his career, Joey Heatherton...
That's a realllllly crrrrappy QB lineage.

Yeah, that's a pretty good history of futility too. But I'd still take Mitchell or Kitna or Landry over the Bears' QBs.

Badgerinmaine
05-16-2008, 06:50 AM
Yeah, that's a pretty good history of futility too. But I'd still take Mitchell or Kitna or Landry over the Bears' QBs.

Greg Landry wasn't that bad--he'd run rings around what the Bears have now. Heck, Joe Ferguson at the end of his career in Detroit might be better.