04-28-2008, 09:36 PM
via JSO:

Packers cut QBs Babb, Bell
By Tom Silverstein
Monday, Apr 28 2008, 05:36 PM

NEED TO PUT LINK NOT ARTICLE

But what's better is the first response after the blog entry:

lukechr:

I cant believe TT ran Bell and Babb out of town...

oregonpackfan
04-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Maybe the Bears might pick them up since they haven't drafted a quarterback the last 3 years.

Oh wait, I forget! They already have a pair of all-pro quarterbacks in Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton! :)

RashanGary
04-28-2008, 09:39 PM
TT doesn't want any competition for his pet, Brohm :)

Bretsky
04-28-2008, 09:45 PM
out with the old; in with the new :!:

CaliforniaCheez
04-28-2008, 09:50 PM
SHOCKER!!

Lurker64
04-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Ryan Leaf was Dalton Bell's QB coach in college, so I don't know why the coaches don't think he's destined for greatness.

LL2
04-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Ryan Leaf was Dalton Bell's QB coach in college, so I don't know why the coaches don't think he's destined for greatness.

This is a very good reason why the Bears or Vikes should sign him!

GrnBay007
04-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Where does Nall fit in?

Bretsky
04-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Where does Nall fit in?

He's not signed
I thought I heard TT indicate GB would probably not be siging him either

Chubbyhubby
04-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Where does Nall fit in?

He's not signed
I thought I heard TT indicate GB would probably not be siging him either

I heard that as well.

vince
04-29-2008, 05:04 AM
:lol:

hurleyfan
04-29-2008, 06:27 AM

Is Brohm the favorite pet now? Rogers slip to 2nd fiddle?

RashanGary
04-29-2008, 06:46 AM
TT is a real piece of shit. Nall has been in the league for 7 freaking years. Now Brohm gets drafted and handed the backup role. TT will never bring in an ounce of compitition for his pet Brohm. This team is ruined.

cpk1994
04-29-2008, 07:24 AM
TT is a real piece of shit. Nall has been in the league for 7 freaking years. Now Brohm gets drafted and handed the backup role. TT will never bring in an ounce of compitition for his pet Brohm. This team is ruined.I assume this is sarcasm.

Zool
04-29-2008, 07:35 AM
www.craignallisaverageatbest.com

SkinBasket
04-29-2008, 07:40 AM
via JSO:

Packers cut QBs Babb, Bell
By Tom Silverstein
Monday, Apr 28 2008, 05:36 PM

NEED TO PUT LINK NOT ARTICLE

We need to link blog entries too? Can we paste the text from the blog if we post the link, or can we just post the link?

For the record, Journal Sentinel Communications can lick my balls.

KYPack
04-29-2008, 07:49 AM
It takes 4-5 QB's to run camp. I think this means TT will soon sign a vet. I'd be shocked if Nall was signed.

AV David
04-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Nall said he would not sign if #4 returned. He said he wants to compete for a starting job somewhere. I think he would be a good 2/3. I think TT might be thinking "If you don't want to be here, there is the door."

Patler
04-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Nall said he would not sign if #4 returned. He said he wants to compete for a starting job somewhere. I think he would be a good 2/3. I think TT might be thinking "If you don't want to be here, there is the door."

Bedard sure didn't think much of Nall. In his chat he said Nall is "..not good. At all." and that any fan who wants him over anybody else "really has no idea what they're talking about."

Zool
04-29-2008, 09:28 AM

Bedard sure didn't think much of Nall. In his chat he said Nall is "..not good. At all." and that any fan who wants him over anybody else "really has no idea what they're talking about."

He's really never been very good. If he cant beat out the 2 guys in Buffalo, he's not going to beat out Rodgers. Its probably best to just move on.

Patler
04-29-2008, 09:31 AM
It takes 4-5 QB's to run camp. I think this means TT will soon sign a vet. I'd be shocked if Nall was signed.

I think right now the Packers are fighting a numbers game, of sorts, for the rookie camp this weekend. They signed a lot of nondrafted players for the weekend camp, including several more WRs. It seems clear they want to give the rookie QBs all the work they can at the camp, which explains all the rookie WRs, both drafted and FA.

They will not take all 12 WRs to TC in August. Some will be cut.

Before August they will probably sign a "camp arm" which could be one of the two QBs they cut yesterday.

I also would not be surprised if they re-sign Daugherty before camp. They just don't need him right now and can use his spot for someone they want to look at this weekend. Daugherty punted quite well last year.

Joemailman
04-29-2008, 09:38 AM
I doubt any veteran QB who has anything left would want to come to Green Bay. Most guys at least want a shot at the #2 job. With the drafting of Brohm, that ain't going to happen.

Tarlam!
04-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Most guys at least want a shot at the #2 job. With the drafting of Brohm, that ain't going to happen.

Sorry, but if I can get a 7 figure salary for being a #3, that's enough for me, Joe.

The vets out there are scrambling to make an easy living at this stage. Yeah, it'd be nice if they could play, but that is not first and foremost.

KYPack
04-29-2008, 09:47 AM

I think right now the Packers are fighting a numbers game, of sorts, for the rookie camp this weekend. They signed a lot of nondrafted players for the weekend camp, including several more WRs. It seems clear they want to give the rookie QBs all the work they can at the camp, which explains all the rookie WRs, both drafted and FA.

Before August they will probably sign a "camp arm" which could be one of the two QBs they cut yesterday.

I also would not be surprised if they re-sign Daugherty before camp. They just don't need him right now and can use his spot for someone they want to look at this weekend. Daugherty punted quite well last year.

Who is Daugherty, Patler?

I missed this guy all to hell and back.

Who he?

Tarlam!
04-29-2008, 09:48 AM

Who he?

It's DOugherty, and he was a punter out of ECU. Did really well at college ball. A real star for them.

Patler
04-29-2008, 10:03 AM

Who he?

It's DOugherty, and he was a punter out of ECU. Did really well at college ball. A real star for them.

Ya, sorry about the typo. I grew up with a "Daugherty" and continually type it that way.

In pre-season last year he punted decently, for the most part, and camp reports were that he was somewhat more consistent than Ryan, but not as strong. Coming out of college he was said to be a very good directional punter too, getting the ball out of bounds inside the 20.

KYPack
04-29-2008, 10:13 AM

OK, OK.

They already signed him.

Per Silverstein

Dougherty, an undrafted free agent from East Carolina, originally signed with the team Aug. 3 and spent three weeks in training camp before being released Aug. 24. The Packers signed him Thursday to a "futures" contract that will put him on the 80-man off-season roster.

The 6-1, 233-pound Dougherty impressed the coaches with his strong leg and solid athletic ability. In addition to punting, he can also kick off. Dougherty never really had a chance to unseat incumbent Jon Ryan, who had a superb training camp and nailed down the job early.

However, the Packers kept tabs on Dougherty and presumably want to see what an off-season working with their coaches can do for his punting. Dougherty averaged 44.25 yards on eight attempts during the exhibition season, with two punts inside the 20-yard line.

Consistency will be the primary focus of his off-season work.

The Packers got mixed results from Ryan this past season. He was solid most of the season, finishing ninth in the league in gross average and 12th in net average, but he had a disastrous day in Chicago and averaged just 33.1 gross and 28.2 net in two post-season games played in unfavorable weather.

Friday, Jan 25 08

Patler
04-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Actually, I believe they cut Dougherty again on Monday, which is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if he was re-signed before training camp.

DonHutson
04-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Where does Nall fit in?

Into a cubicle. Mid-level management. Maybe a sales position.

KYPack
04-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Actually, I believe they cut Dougherty again on Monday, which is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if he was re-signed before training camp.

Missed that move, too. I do dimly remember the other punter (Dougherty) in pre-season putting up a battle with Ryan. i thought he desreved another look. This is make or break year for Jon Ryan. For a northern boy, he ain't that good in the wind & cold.

He needs to imnprove in quite a few areas to keep his gig.

KYPack
04-29-2008, 02:02 PM
DP

Patler
04-29-2008, 02:15 PM

Missed that move, too. I do dimly remember the other punter (Dougherty) in pre-season putting up a battle with Ryan. i thought he desreved another look. This is make or break year for Jon Ryan. For a northern boy, he ain't that good in the wind & cold.

I agree about Ryan. If he is going to make a step up, his third year is about when you would expect it. He was better overall last year than in '06. If he makes similar progress this year, he will move into the top half of the league's punters, I think. On the positive side, he has become a pretty reliable holder for placekicks.

KYPack
04-29-2008, 02:25 PM

I agree about Ryan. If he is going to make a step up, his third year is about when you would expect it. He was better overall last year than in '06. If he makes similar progress this year, he will move into the top half of the league's punters, I think. On the positive side, he has become a pretty reliable holder for placekicks.

Ha!

He did improve last year, but he had a ways to go. He was last in the NFL in net yds in '06. Returners were running back those liners he was hitting when pressed for time. He was 12th in '07 in net yds.

If he fails to get better, he could be cut. I'd like to see him stay, I think he can be a force when he is a mature punter.

Patler
04-29-2008, 02:43 PM
This is make or break year for Jon Ryan. For a northern boy, he ain't that good in the wind & cold.

Ha!

He did improve last year, but he had a ways to go. He was last in the NFL in net yds in '06. Returners were running back those liners he was hitting when pressed for time. He was 12th in '07 in net yds.

If he fails to get better, he could be cut. I'd like to see him stay, I think he can be a force when he is a mature punter.

While he isn't "NFL mature" he did play a few seasons in Canada, and will turn 28 this season. He's been a professional long enough that he should put it all together soon, if he ever will.

At one point last year I thought things were starting to click for him, but he tailed off later in the season, and, of course, especially in Chicago.

pbmax
04-29-2008, 04:40 PM
JSO has Ryan Dougherty competing with Ryan and Ken D. If he was off the roster, he was back on as of the 27th of April unless JSO had it wrong.

He is on the roster at packersnews.com, but not at packers.com or jsonline.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2008, 04:42 PM
He was cut yesterday.