PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Packer Draft

GrnBay007
04-28-2008, 11:41 PM
You've seen some of the Grades given for the Packer draft.....now it's your turn. How did they do?

CaliforniaCheez
04-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Some teams had traded away picks and didn't do well.

Some had extra picks from trades.

The Packers had an extra 2nd round pick and a compensatory pick.

They traded a 6th for Ryan Grant.

They traded a late 7th for a 6th next year.

Lots of BPA's.

Until we see them play it is tough to grade. I gave a B+

Not to change the subject but some teams had bad position but did the best they could. No one will rank the Giants high but they did the best they could. Seattle also didn't do anything too squirrelly but did well with what they had.

Joemailman
04-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Sort of hard to give a grade when you don't have a lot of glaring weaknesses which means none of these guys are likely to start this year, but I gave TT a B. Some consider Nelson a reach, but he's an intriguing guy. Brohm and Lee were great value picks as both were considered potential 1st round/early 2nd round guys. Lee will probably get the most playing time of all the rookies. Finley can stretch the field and gives the Packers some options they didn't have with Bubba Franks. Jeremy Thompson should be an upgrade over Montgomery, and could eventually be a starter. My only disappointment is that they didn't draft anyone who is likely to challenge the starting guards this year. Sitton may be tried at Guard, but won't be ready to challenge for a starting spot this year.

Lurker64
04-29-2008, 02:24 AM
Are we counting "The rights to Ryan Grant were acquired for 2008's 6th round pick" in our evaluation of this draft or not?

Tarlam!
04-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Are we counting "The rights to Ryan Grant were acquired for 2008's 6th round pick" in our evaluation of this draft or not?

I am, which is why I gave an A- .

Lurker64
04-29-2008, 02:29 AM

I am, which is why I gave an A- .

That was my reasoning for giving the same grade you gave.

Rastak
04-29-2008, 06:28 AM
B+

Nelson pick wasn't bad, BPA. Brohm pick was smart. Rodgers == unknown and now TT has hedged his bets with 2 good prospects, Rodgers being more than ready to start now. He also picked up the steady stream of guys in later rounds.

Not a bad draft, probably an A- with Grant.

RashanGary
04-29-2008, 06:47 AM
I give it a C, but I reserve the right to bump it to an A if we get a bunch of studs and F if we have a bunch of flops.

No, I'm going to give it a C+ (just a guess). I really can't stand teh Patrick Lee pick and after Lee it was a bucnh of projects as well. The only hope we have is that it was 7 projects so even if 2 of them realize their high potentials, this can be looked back on as a really good draft.

Brohm
04-29-2008, 07:01 AM
B w/o Grant. Good draft for depth.

The Leaper
04-29-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm going to give it a B.

It is very difficult to have an A draft when you are picking at #30. We probably didn't land any franchise players, but we addressed several areas of need while getting several kids that have a lot of potential to improve into excellent players at the next level.

Including Grant in the equation would make it an A- for me.

Tarlam!
04-29-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't see how you can include the Allen trade in grading the Vikes and disregard the Grant trade.

I know Grant was last year, but it was THIS DRAFT's 6th that we gave up. That has to count in appraising this draft.

In 3 years, if Grant sucks, grade the draft a D. But for what we háve seen so far, RG made this draft a B before we even selected Jordy.

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2008, 09:06 AM
I agree with the people that say it depends on how Ryan Grant is counted. Just judging the players taken this weekend, I would give it a B, but if we count Grant and picking up a 6th round pick next year, I would go up to an A-.

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2008, 09:36 AM
I think Grant needs to be included in the draft grade, but I think his grade should go on last year's draft. I just brought it up because I'm sure most of the "experts" in a couple of years will forget about the Grant acquisition when analyzing the 2007 Packers draft.

Harrell, Jones, Barbre, Crosby, Hall, Jackson, Rouse, Wynn, etc. will look even better with Ryan Grant added to the list.

Or this year's class will look even better with Grant added to the list.

MadScientist
04-29-2008, 09:45 AM
I don't see how you can include the Allen trade in grading the Vikes and disregard the Grant trade.

I know Grant was last year, but it was THIS DRAFT's 6th that we gave up. That has to count in appraising this draft.

In 3 years, if Grant sucks, grade the draft a D. But for what we háve seen so far, RG made this draft a B before we even selected Jordy.
Players received for future draft picks count when they were acquired, not when the draft would be. Does Cleavland's picking Quinn count as part of this year's draft (the traded pick) or last year's (when they got him)?

Allen is a change for the vikings this year, as are the picks, so it is somewhat reasonable to include Allen in the grading (with the asterisk).

Tarlam!
04-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Does Cleavland's picking Quinn count as part of this year's draft (the traded pick) or last year's (when they got him)?

Great question. I know I#ll be on the wrong side of this argument, but I'd say, this year's draft. It was this year's 1st.

DonHutson
04-29-2008, 11:11 AM

But then we can't grade this draft. We don't know what we're going to do with the 6th round pick we acquired for '09. I get your point, but how far do you take it?

I'm basing it on, who did we have on the roster on Sunday night that we didn't have on Saturday morning. So I give it a B.

Nelson was a surprise, but not an unpleasant one. I wasn't surprised they took a WR, I just didn't expect Nelson ahead of some of the others. But most of the 'higher rated' WR's sound like complete d-bags, so Nelson might just outlast them all. Kiper (who's kind of a d-bag in his own right) called Nelson a "faster Dwight Clark." I'd take that, sounds great.

Lots of talk in various places that a WR was the last thing we needed. First of all, you need at least three good ones. Looking down the road, Driver is getting older and probably only has another year or two of Pro Bowl level play. Jennings is a rising star. Jones had his moments, and he should be solid. But then Robert Ferguson had his moments as a young player too. Jones can't be considered a sure thing. And you don't make major roster decisions based on guys like Ruvell Martin and Koren Robinson. Nice enough players both, but hardly indispensible.

Brohm fills an immediate need for a #2 QB, and he's probably better right now than any of the vets that are readily available. If he does nothing more than fill that role for a couple years before getting traded for another 2nd rounder, it's a good pick. The fact that he provides some insurance at the most important position is a nice bonus.

Lee sounds like a boom or bust guy. Boom and you probably have a Doug Evans type. Bust and... well... we all know a CB bust when we see one at this point. I have no idea where he'll fall, but he was a good gamble at that point. Will he get the coaching he needs in GB?

Finley sounds like another boom or bust guy. If he harnesses his ability and learns to block even a little bit, he could be a monster.

I kind of like the mid round OL. They sound scrappier than some of the guys we have like Colledge and Coston. So that's a plus. Physically, they don't offer much that we don't have, but what do you want that low in the draft. They get points for infusing some attitude.

Thompson sounds pretty solid. Our DL coaches have worked wonders with guys who have less talent than he does.

Flynn sounds like another scrapper. Nice pick that late.

Swain, how many white dudes do you need playing WR?

So there's nobody that I'm just dying to see out on the field, and most of these guys won't be on the field much this year. I feel good about Nelson, Brohm, and Thompson turning into useful players down the road. If Lee and/or Finley takes off, it should be a good draft.

Gunakor
04-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Even if you count Grant on last years draft, this year's still should get an A- IMO given where Green Bay was picking.

Jordy Nelson is a first round talent, no matter what anyone says. It doesn't matter who you are playing against, 122 catches is an awful lot - especially considering that the NCAA doesn't play 16 game seasons. He's got hands like glue. He won't shy away from contact and isn't afraid to go over the middle. He's almost 6'3" and is an incredible athlete. Has track speed.

Brian Brohm IMO is the second best QB to come out of this years draft next to Matt Ryan, but maybe the best QB fit for our system. I'd have never expected him to fall to us at #56. A-Rod is the guy for at least this season, but I'd hope that in '09 or '10 he'll compete for the starting job. I think he's destined to have a great NFL career.

Patrick Lee is the best of the 2nd tier cornerbacks. He's taller than the corners I had originally hoped for, plays physical at the line and should also be a great fit for our defensive scheme. He'll have at least a year or two to learn the nuances of the league and the position from 2 of the best man to man corners in the NFL. Excellent pick at #60.

Jermichael Finley might be the greatest athlete we picked in this years draft. Very few linebackers are going to be able to cover him. He'll be a threat to stretch the field, so his being on the field should keep that 8th man out of the box - making Grant's job a heck of a lot easier. He's an incredible red zone target - something we've been looking for in a TE for several years now. Line him up in a 2 TE set with Driver and Jennings out wide and Grant in the backfield and watch out. Great things will come from that.

DE Jeremy Thompson is the only pick I have questions about. Not so much the player as the need to trade up to get him. I think Thompson will be a solid football player and will add good depth behind Kampy and KGB. He should also provide good competition with Cullen Jenkins for the full time position as an end rusher once KGB is gone. I just don't know if he's worth moving up 11 spots to select, but then again TT knows alot more about him than I do. TT rarely trades up in a draft, so there must have been a good reason for him to do so.

The two OL that TT selected are both project type players, but both have the frame and physical tools to do the job. Sitton, especially, is extremely versatile. He could be an immediate backup on any of the OL positions, probably excelling best at OT. Given Clifton's durability concerns, and also both OT's age, I think he was a good pick at the end of the 4th round. Breno Giacomini is a beast at 6'7", 303 lbs. I think he could easily take over for either Cliffy or Tauch in a couple years and be an anchor on the line for many more.

Matt Flynn might only be a career backup, but you can't expect much more from a 7th round pick. He did lead the LSU offense to a NCAA championship in January, so the kid knows how to win. Will probably be serviceable at the very least. Has the potential to be the #2 in a few years, once the competition between Rodgers and Brohm is settled and the loser is traded away for cap reasons (I really don't expect both of them to be here for more than a couple years).

Brett Swain won't likely make the roster. Then again, I don't know who was left on the board at the time that would have been. There weren't any RB's left better than Grant or Jackson, and that was the only position I thought they'd address in the draft but didn't. Any other player at any other position drafted in the 7th round was a long shot anyhow, so I'm not disappointed in the pick.

Then with the final selection, TT traded with New Orleans to gain an extra 6th round pick in next years draft - probably the best thing he could have done with that pick.

All in all, I'd say that's at least worth an A-.

Freak Out
04-29-2008, 12:15 PM
I voted Z.

b bulldog
04-29-2008, 08:51 PM
B+ W/O Grant

Maxie the Taxi
05-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Even if you count Grant on last years draft, this year's still should get an A- IMO given where Green Bay was picking.

Jordy Nelson is a first round talent, no matter what anyone says. It doesn't matter who you are playing against, 122 catches is an awful lot - especially considering that the NCAA doesn't play 16 game seasons. He's got hands like glue. He won't shy away from contact and isn't afraid to go over the middle. He's almost 6'3" and is an incredible athlete. Has track speed.

Brian Brohm IMO is the second best QB to come out of this years draft next to Matt Ryan, but maybe the best QB fit for our system. I'd have never expected him to fall to us at #56. A-Rod is the guy for at least this season, but I'd hope that in '09 or '10 he'll compete for the starting job. I think he's destined to have a great NFL career.

Patrick Lee is the best of the 2nd tier cornerbacks. He's taller than the corners I had originally hoped for, plays physical at the line and should also be a great fit for our defensive scheme. He'll have at least a year or two to learn the nuances of the league and the position from 2 of the best man to man corners in the NFL. Excellent pick at #60.

Jermichael Finley might be the greatest athlete we picked in this years draft. Very few linebackers are going to be able to cover him. He'll be a threat to stretch the field, so his being on the field should keep that 8th man out of the box - making Grant's job a heck of a lot easier. He's an incredible red zone target - something we've been looking for in a TE for several years now. Line him up in a 2 TE set with Driver and Jennings out wide and Grant in the backfield and watch out. Great things will come from that.

DE Jeremy Thompson is the only pick I have questions about. Not so much the player as the need to trade up to get him. I think Thompson will be a solid football player and will add good depth behind Kampy and KGB. He should also provide good competition with Cullen Jenkins for the full time position as an end rusher once KGB is gone. I just don't know if he's worth moving up 11 spots to select, but then again TT knows alot more about him than I do. TT rarely trades up in a draft, so there must have been a good reason for him to do so.

The two OL that TT selected are both project type players, but both have the frame and physical tools to do the job. Sitton, especially, is extremely versatile. He could be an immediate backup on any of the OL positions, probably excelling best at OT. Given Clifton's durability concerns, and also both OT's age, I think he was a good pick at the end of the 4th round. Breno Giacomini is a beast at 6'7", 303 lbs. I think he could easily take over for either Cliffy or Tauch in a couple years and be an anchor on the line for many more.

Matt Flynn might only be a career backup, but you can't expect much more from a 7th round pick. He did lead the LSU offense to a NCAA championship in January, so the kid knows how to win. Will probably be serviceable at the very least. Has the potential to be the #2 in a few years, once the competition between Rodgers and Brohm is settled and the loser is traded away for cap reasons (I really don't expect both of them to be here for more than a couple years).

Brett Swain won't likely make the roster. Then again, I don't know who was left on the board at the time that would have been. There weren't any RB's left better than Grant or Jackson, and that was the only position I thought they'd address in the draft but didn't. Any other player at any other position drafted in the 7th round was a long shot anyhow, so I'm not disappointed in the pick.

Then with the final selection, TT traded with New Orleans to gain an extra 6th round pick in next years draft - probably the best thing he could have done with that pick.

All in all, I'd say that's at least worth an A-.

As good an analysis of the Packers' draft as I've yet read.

[I live in SEC country and I've got a sneaking hunch Matt Flynn will pleasantly surprise a whole lotta folks up north before the preseason is through.]

oregonpackfan
05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I still maintain you cannot effectively grade a draft until 3 years after that draft has been completed. You never know how well college players will adapt to the pro level whether they are a 1st rounder or a 7th rounder.

Perhaps there needs to be two forms of grades: one for the initial impression before any of these guys have shown up for camp--which is what the poll seems to imply.

The second grade is for 3 years from now. Are the guys starting? Are they subs but making a significant contribution? Or are they no longer in the NFL?

For the initial grade of before the guys have shown up for camp, I would give a B.

woodbuck27
05-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Including the Grant trade for a 6th I grade this past draft as a c. I'm feeling generous today. :)

The Grant acquisition at RB was vital for us as we were more than weak @ RB till he learned the playbook and got into gear. Again TT's inability to want to spend in FAcy placed pressure on him to make sensible first day picks in the drasft and he could have selected better at CB or covered our neds @ FS.

Who could doubt his pick of QB in the second round @ #56. I won't say any of these three picks won't make OUR Final Roster but we had neds elsewhere. Cover those needs with the likes of a Lito Sheppard at CB and the pressure if off. TT had to roll on that one and he didn't thus in my view came up with zero's in terrms of needs.

The picks below the second round. Who the heck nows. He did get us prospects @ DE and on the Offensive line. He acquired a TE but I thought I saw a better prospect or Davis out of (is it Southern California?). On the draft thread several of us we're assessing playes available at that TE position and TT selected the one I felt looked the weakest.

Yes! What do I really know except to read and anaylize with what is accessable to all of us.

Actually I feel I'm being over generous with that C Grade. If a member here graded TT with an 'F' I'm sure they can back up that grade. It's really a mater of perspective and objectivity Vs subjectivity. Balance.

As I see it. That's TT's problem. Balance.

PACKERS FOREVER!