PDA

View Full Version : Raiders cut rb Rhodes

Sparkey
04-29-2008, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Green Bay bring in Dominic Rhodes. If anything else, just to see if he has any gas left in the tank.

He only started the last two games of the season last year and ran for 100+ in each of those games. Never hurts to add competition to the mix. Plus he has superbowl experience.

The Leaper
04-29-2008, 08:14 AM
I would have interest in Rhodes...simply based on the fact that we have NOTHING behind Grant. I expect Jackson to improve, but he still is going to be inconsistent.

Rhodes has proven that he probably is best in a role as a third down back...who can also spot start if necessary. That is precisely what we need.

To me, dumping Morency and adding Rhodes is a no-brainer at this point.

3irty1
04-29-2008, 08:16 AM
I think its more likely we pick up Alexander if no one else has simply because he's one of TT's guys.

KYPack
04-29-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm sure I'm wrong, but...

Rhodes makes sense to give competition to Herron as 3rd down back.

Shaun Alexander can't run and can't play Spec teams. Some team may pick him up, but I don't think we have a spot for him.

Tarlam!
04-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Stop dreaming everyone. We got Da Beaver coming in. All 5'7" of him. He's gonna be our change up back.

SkinBasket
04-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Anything would be better than Herron still being on the roster.

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2008, 09:15 AM
With McFadden, Fargas and the rest, they had a surplus of RBs in Oakland--so he wasn't necessarily cut because the Raiders thought he was through. But with his substance suspension last year, do you think he's the kind of guy TT would bring in? Then again, he brought in Koren Robinson, so maybe he would.

Joemailman
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
If TT didn't try to bring in a retread veteran RB last year, he sure won't this year. The Packers are stronger at RB now than they were a year ago. Grant was one of the best in the league in the second half, and Jackson finished strong. Either Wynn, Morency or White will be the other back.

Zool
04-29-2008, 09:30 AM

I wonder if I could take Herron in a foot race.

SkinBasket
04-29-2008, 10:22 AM

I wonder if I could take Herron in a foot race.

I'm guessing yes, sight unseen.

DonHutson
04-29-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm sure I'm wrong, but...

Rhodes makes sense to give competition to Herron as 3rd down back.

Shaun Alexander can't run and can't play Spec teams. Some team may pick him up, but I don't think we have a spot for him.

If a RB were to be added at this point (and I'd be surprised if one was), I don't necessarily think it needs to be a 3rd down type guy. Jackson looked pretty comfortable catching the ball, and I think he could fill that role or the backup everydown role just as well. So there's some flexibility as to what kind of guy we need for the third spot.

I think the point about versatility is a good one, regarding special teams play. That's something that might actually give Herron or Corey White an advantage over the Midol Twins. White in particular has a lot to offer, and he's a good darkhorse candidate for a job.

As for Beaver, why not? He's a great athlete for a D-III guy. 5-8 RB's are rare, but you see them. Ray Rice, Maurice Jones-Drew, etc. Is 5-7 such a big difference by comparison? Again, if he can offer something on special teams and show some versatility, he might stick through training camp anyway.