PDA

View Full Version : Will the Pack sign a vet QB

KYPack
04-29-2008, 03:24 PM
I guess I'm trying to win a competition for the worst running thread of '08.

I've posted a couple times about who the Packers might get for vet back-up QB. And noboy cares. that's good. I like to shout into the wind. PFT posted this today.

In the week before the draft, the Green Bay Packers were considering signing free agent quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

But when the Packers drafted Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm in the second round on Saturday and then chose LSU quarterback Matt Flynn in the seventh round on Sunday, that seemed to indicate the Packers were set at the position.

Asked about Culpepper, Packers General Manager Ted Thompson said: “I wouldn’t address a specific instance, in general, you know, if something happened, if we could sign another guy we would but at least now we feel like we’ve got two young guys that can come in and compete to make the roster.”

So if Thompson thinks the quarterbacks on the Packers’ roster will be Brohm, Flynn and Aaron Rodgers, where does that leave Culpepper?

Bill Williamson of ESPN.com writes that Culpepper could return to Oakland. The Raiders could be his only option.

I figured Culpepper was a choice in this search, but I don't really like the guy that much, either. I think it's mistake to go into an NFL season wirh ARod and two rooks. But that looks like our direction.

In a way, that might be the right move for now. Other teams have viable QB's they may have to cut, but TT wants to go to the mini's with the Kids.

Patler
04-29-2008, 03:35 PM
When Favre was just a pup, he didn't have experienced backups either. Ty Detmer, then they drafted Brunnell and he was #2. Hasselbeck, etc..

The Packers seem to have a history of being willing to go with real young backups.

MTPackerfan
04-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Didn't Thompson say that they made an offer to Culpepper before the draft but he wanted to wait and weigh his options?

KYPack
04-29-2008, 03:56 PM
When Favre was just a pup, he didn't have experienced backups either. Ty Detmer, then they drafted Brunnell and he was #2. Hasselbeck, etc..

The Packers seem to have a history of being willing to go with real young backups.

Agreed. But those pups were backing up the "Ironman".

Hell, you and I cudda been Brett's back-up QB's.

Well, not us, but the Pack hasn't been pressed to have an experienced guy back there for many moons.

I think it's time we do, but TT and MM don't.

So guess what direction we are headed in?

Lurker64
04-29-2008, 03:57 PM
I think they will, but probably not until the Summer camp cuts start happening. Tampa's has something like 7 QBs in camp right now, I could see Green Bay picking up Chris Simms if (when, most probably) he gets cut and putting him in as the #2 and sticking Flynn on the Practice Squad.

Patler
04-29-2008, 04:06 PM

True, but they didn't know he was an Ironman back then, and they still seemed satisfied with inexperienced backups.

I am actually quite amazed at the QB situation. For year 1AF (After Favre) to have a 1st round pick ready to step in after ample sideline prepartation, a rookie who some thought could have been a first rounder, and another rookie who most believe has a chance for a career at least as a backup/sometimes starter, is really a pretty decent situation. It would be nice if Rodgers had a bunch more game experience, but heck, things can't be perfect! :lol:

At least it gives us hope!

idpackerfan
04-29-2008, 04:08 PM

Well, not us, but the Pack hasn't been pressed to have an experienced guy back there for many moons.

Favre, when he was young was not yet known as the ironman, just a young QB with a hell of an arm. So they were taking a pretty big risk by not having a vet behind him. Later they had Jim McMahon as the vet backup, so I think that they have gone both ways.

As to whether they will get a vet, I think that it might depend on how the rookies look this week and OTAs in may. I don't expect a signing until after june 1st (don't the bucs have like 8 QBs and are bound to cut a few) if at all.

KYPack
04-29-2008, 04:13 PM
[/quote]

Favre, when he was young was not yet known as the ironman, just a young QB with a hell of an arm. So they were taking a pretty big risk by not having a vet behind him. Later they had Jim McMahon as the vet backup, so I think that they have gone both ways.

As to whether they will get a vet, I think that it might depend on how the rookies look this week and OTAs in may. I don't expect a signing until after june 1st (don't the bucs have like 8 QBs and are bound to cut a few) if at all.[/quote]

Tampa Bay loves a lot of QB’s on the roster . They added a seventh quarterback to their roster on Sunday when they used their fifth-round selection to draft San Diego signal caller Josh Johnson.

The Bucs like what Johnson, who tossed 43 touchdowns and just one interception as a senior, did in San Diego's version of the West Coast offense, but head coach Jon Gruden stopped short of anointing the former Div. I-AA star Tampa Bay's quarterback of the future. The Bucs will take only five of them to training camp.
Presumably, no more than three will be on the active roster, so four of the quarterbacks currently in Tampa won’t be in Tampa come September.
The other six are Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese, Bruce Gradkowski, Luke McCown, Chris Simms, and Jake Plummer.

pbmax
04-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Culpepper did get a contract offer but did not accept. Imagine how different the draft would be if he took it? Would we have passed on Brohm or Flynn?

I don't think you will see a vet this summer unless there is an injury. And if either Brohm or Flynn demonstrate that they won't be able to play this year (due to injury or incompetence) then I see them picking up someone late in camp who has been let go. Tampa could easily be that source.

Didn't Thompson say that they made an offer to Culpepper before the draft but he wanted to wait and weigh his options?

HarveyWallbangers
04-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Culpepper did get a contract offer but did not accept. Imagine how different the draft would be if he took it? Would we have passed on Brohm or Flynn?

I'm assuming Flynn, but maybe not even him if Thompson thought he was BPA.

Joemailman
04-29-2008, 05:11 PM
With the Packers having 2 recent high draft choices at the position, I don't think Green Bay likely looks very attractive to most veteran QB's. Of course, a #3 QB paycheck is better than no paycheck, so someone may show some interest in Green Bay at some point. If Brohm and/or Flynn pick up the offense quickly though, TT may just decide to go with the kids.

oregonpackfan
04-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Though I feel Rodgers is ready to start and both Brohm and Flynn are talented rookie(note the emphasis on rookie) QB's, I would feel much more assured if the Packers sign a veteran QB.

Should Rodgers go down, the chances are very unlikely Brohm or Flynn could step in and play effectively as a starter. Nothing against either of their abilities but they are rookies. It is a very rare rookie QB who can play effectively.

sheepshead
04-29-2008, 07:45 PM

This is one large piece of hindsight here my man. Are you saying that Packer brass knew Favre wouldnt go down any given year? That makes no sense. Plus Pederson, MaMahon..I guess I'm not following your thought process at all here.

red
04-29-2008, 08:09 PM
how long did we have the majik man? he was a vet

did he leave after the year when favre took over, or did he stay for a couple years?

edit: majik was just there for bretts first year in GB

he also had chris miller for his one year in atlanta. miller was a pro bowler that year (91)

now, the question is. was brett ever sober to learn anything from those guys?

RashanGary
04-29-2008, 08:12 PM
I don't really care if we bring in a vet. There is nothing out there. Other teams are sort of wierd about not letting good QB's get to UFA or trading them away for nothing.

We're at a point where if Rodgers sucks, our season is shot (vet or not). If Brohm sucks too, we're screwed for at lest two years. Hopefully one pans out, if not, Thompson is going to have to keep spending valuable picks until something sticks.

KYPack
04-29-2008, 08:15 PM

This is one large piece of hindsight here my man. Are you saying that Packer brass knew Favre wouldnt go down any given year? That makes no sense. Plus Pederson, MaMahon..I guess I'm not following your thought process at all here.

Well Sheeps, it wasn't too clearly written, but this is my thinking. When we had two youngbloods backing up Brett, we were lucky. We could've been stranded without a capable QB to lead the team. Something like the immortal TJ Rubley situation.

Yer right, that situation was rectified. Wolf eventually got some vets as back-up.

I don't think we should go "all pup" again. We were lucky once (IMHO), we might not be lucky again. I'd like to be like this:

1. ARod
2. Vwt Back-up
3 Brohm
PS Flynn

I believe in the Lombardi philosophy. Rookies get you beat. You can triple that for Rookie QB's. I think Brohm has the potential to be a solid NFL player, but I don't want him as the primary back-up.

Flynn needs all kinds of experience and I'd like to see him get a year on PS to get a lot more seasoning.

My last comment was that TT & MM seem to be leaning to the "all pup" method. I'd like the vet in the two spot.

Ya know?

red
04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
i don't care if the vet goes in and wins games. i want someone older or more mature that if rodgers or brohm go in and completely suck the place up, this guy can step up and say. ok, i've been there, calm down, heres what i think is the problem

right now if the young guys screw up they have no one to turn to for help. and i don't mean coaches. i mean peers, other players

i think thats important. not a guy that comes in to win games if we need them, but a guy the young guys can turn to for help. thats why i suggested someone like brunell. a guy thats been there and knows he's past his prime, but has seen it all and can help out

culpepper on the other hand, i feel, is a guy who would come here for one reason only. to try and win the starting job, he won't help the young guys beat him out at all

sheepshead
04-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah KY, I'm with ya actually. We have a very good team, no denying that. It would be a cryin' shame if ARod goes down in week 2 for a few weeks or more and the only thing we're missing is someone that knows the playbook and can move the chains.

p.s. Im watching the Cubs and Brewers and I just saw a guy with one of last years Packer knit hats that sold out so fast--ahhh the memories!

StPaulPackFan
04-29-2008, 08:48 PM
I would rather have 2 rookies with potential and possibly hugh upsides rather than a veteran who is "junk".

IMO, just because a guy is a veteran doesn't mean he will be perform well when called upon. Likewise, just because a guy is a rookie doesn't mean he will perform poorly when called upon...

Rich McGeorge
04-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Back when we had Brunell and Detmer backing up Brett we had a coach who knew how to groom QBs. One of the reasons MM was brought in was his ability to groom and manage QBs. I'm a little surprised we didn't draft a young QB last year. IT wouldn't be a threat to AR any more than to Brett in the early days; Ron Wolf was always bringing in QBs to develop, and I'm glad we're going back to that model.

BTW, Majkowski was still pretty young and was a decent QB. We were lucky to have a good, young guy waiting in the wings when he went down. Why not have the same kind of insurance for AR?

run pMc
04-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I'll preface this by saying that I wasn't high on Brohm in general, and especially for GB at 30 or 36, but am warming up to him where TT got him.

Having said that, the thing I've read about Brohm is he's the most ready -- right now -- of any of the big names in this year's QB draft class. Maybe with enough reps in OTAs and TC he could come off the bench mid-season and not completely crap the bed. That assumes Rodgers would have to survive until mid-season...who knows, maybe he'll toughen up now that he's the starter. For this season, that's one of the big questions.

I think right now, there's junk for QB's on the FA market . There should be a few QB's that are cut soon, but there won't be any Mannings. So the theory that we might as well go with the pups (who might be junk) than a vet is risky, but not all that crazy.

Not that TT cares, but my personal preference would be to see them bring in a vet as the #2 and develop Brohm. Flynn is destined for either GB's practice squad or CHI's starting gig.

Culfumbler is crap. He doesn't read defenses well and his turnovers come in bunches.

Patler
04-29-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm a little surprised we didn't draft a young QB last year.

Last year is the only year he hasn't drafted a QB. But he still had Ingle Martin from the draft in 2006, and he signed Paul Thompson. So they had a couple young guys to work with, but neither panned out.

Bretsky
04-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Back when we had Brunell and Detmer backing up Brett we had a coach who knew how to groom QBs. One of the reasons MM was brought in was his ability to groom and manage QBs. I'm a little surprised we didn't draft a young QB last year. IT wouldn't be a threat to AR any more than to Brett in the early days; Ron Wolf was always bringing in QBs to develop, and I'm glad we're going back to that model.

BTW, Majkowski was still pretty young and was a decent QB. We were lucky to have a good, young guy waiting in the wings when he went down. Why not have the same kind of insurance for AR?

Completely agree; we knew Ingle wasn't going to make it relatively soon. If Flynn doesn't cut it I'd be OK if we nab another one in next year's draft.

BTW, Welcome to Packerrats Rich :!:

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Seconded! You've found a great place--one where we even remember who Rich McGeorge was 8-)

MadtownPacker
04-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Seconded! You've found a great place--one where we even remember who Rich McGeorge was 8-)Yeah, welcome to the forum man.

So who the hell is Rich McGeorge? :?:

RashanGary
04-30-2008, 06:46 AM
I just think you have to build your team to win the big game. If you don't think there is a QB out there that has a chance of being good enough tp bring your team to the SB, he's not worth bringing in. If Rodgers goes down we're done. If Rodgers sucks we're done. Sometimes there is nothing that can be done immediately if you don't have a QB. Opportunities present themselves, but you really can't force a champion QB onto your team in a short amount of time. Keep looking. Keep an open mind. Keep trying. Teams that take one and sell out on that guy only get one chance. We now have two chances and if these two don't look promising, I think Ted will keep scowering for more.

KYPack
04-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Seconded! You've found a great place--one where we even remember who Rich McGeorge was 8-)Yeah, welcome to the forum man.

So who the hell is Rich McGeorge? :?:

A TE from the "wilderness period" of the 70's.

A blue collar plodder of a guy who always played hard, if not too well.

Think Bubba blanco.

Welcome aboard, Rich.

We got a real wrecking crew developing here.

cpk1994
04-30-2008, 07:55 AM

So guess what direction we are headed in?You didn't know at the time Favre was an ironman now did you? IT was the same risk then, as it is now.

Chubbyhubby
04-30-2008, 09:54 AM

I was watching ESPN coverage of the draft and thats what Mort was saying about Cullpeper. That he was offered a contract with the packers but Cullpepper waited after the draft to make his desion. Basically TT made that desion for him by drafting 2 QBs? Has there been any team that in recent memory that drafted 2 QB's in the same draft class?

KYPack
04-30-2008, 10:43 AM

So guess what direction we are headed in?You didn't know at the time Favre was an ironman now did you? IT was the same risk then, as it is now.

Well, I tried to explain this once, but here goes.

I agree with you, It's a risk to have 3 young QB's on the roster. I feel a helluva a lot more comfortable with a guy that knows the ropes on the team to come in for injury purposes. Think Zeke Bratkowski, Earl morral, Steve DeBerg, etc, etc.

It isn't always true. NE won an SB with a young baack-up, so did St Louey.

I want ARod, a vet, & Brohem as our back-up QB's. Matt Flynn can do just as much good on PS as he can being on the roster, but we are at a lot more risk carrying him on the 53.

No, I didn't KNOW Brett was the ironman, but iIm sure glad I found out.

Tarlam!
04-30-2008, 10:48 AM
No, I didn't KNOW Brett was the ironman, but iIm sure glad I found out.

He had a foot of his intestine removed after a car crash and returned in time to play college ball.

I think anybody who studied him knew he was a tough SOB.

Zool
04-30-2008, 10:52 AM

I was watching ESPN coverage of the draft and thats what Mort was saying about Cullpeper. That he was offered a contract with the packers but Cullpepper waited after the draft to make his desion. Basically TT made that desion for him by drafting 2 QBs? Has there been any team that in recent memory that drafted 2 QB's in the same draft class?

Broncos in 04.
Texans in 03.
49'ers 2000
Bengals 1999

On a strange side note, the Ravens have been in existence since 1996 and have drafted a QB in all but 3 of their seasons. I think they might want to try some new talent evaluators at that position.

Patler
04-30-2008, 11:31 AM
On a strange side note, the Ravens have been in existence since 1996 and have drafted a QB in all but 3 of their seasons. I think they might want to try some new talent evaluators at that position.

Why is that strange? Wolf was just as aggressive drafting QBs, and said you had to draft one virtually every year because it was the most important position on the team. He said you had to continually look for QBs. Wolf's drafts for QB:

'92-Detmer
'93-Brunnell
'94
'95-Barker
'96-Wachholtz
'97-McAda
'98-Hasslebeck
'99-Brooks
'00-

Thompson has continued that philosophy:
'05-Rodgers
'06-Martin
'07
'08-Brohm and Flynn

BF4MVP
04-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't see the need..A-Rod doesn't need a mentor, he's got coaches to tell him what he should be doing..Plus he already sat behind Brett for three years..I think Brohm is capable of coming in and giving us a chance if need be..And if your first two quarterbacks get hurt you're screwed no matter what anyways so it might as well be Flynn..He did win a National Championship after all..

BF4MVP
04-30-2008, 11:39 AM

Why is that strange? Wolf was just as aggressive drafting QBs, and said you had to draft one virtually every year because it was the most important position on the team. He said you had to continually look for QBs. Wolf's drafts for QB:

'92-Detmer
'93-Brunnell
'94
'95-Barker
'96-Wachholtz
'97-McAda
'98-Hasslebeck
'99-Brooks
'00-

'05-Rodgers
'06-Martin
'07
'08-Brohm and Flynn
Yep. Didn't Wolf say that you should try to take a QB every draft because later on you might be able to trade him for more than the draft pick you spent to get him?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought he said something along those lines..

Zool
04-30-2008, 11:44 AM

'92-Detmer
'93-Brunnell
'94
'95-Barker
'96-Wachholtz
'97-McAda
'98-Hasslebeck
'99-Brooks
'00-

'05-Rodgers
'06-Martin
'07
'08-Brohm and Flynn
Yep. Didn't Wolf say that you should try to take a QB every draft because later on you might be able to trade him for more than the draft pick you spent to get him?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought he said something along those lines..

Strange because they keep picking up FA QB's when they continually draft QB's. Even going back to their days as the Browns, they had Testeverde from Tampa.

The only one they hit on appears to have been Derek Anderson. Now a Cleveland Brown ironically enough.

KYPack
04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
It's also wierd that the Old Browns/ Ravens probably have one of the league's top personnel finding front offices. They get the Ed Reeds, Ray Lewis's, Jon Ogden's, but can't find a QB to save theri ass.

There have been many years, I would have taken one of their top flight DB's just to help our secondary.

That early 2000's Raven D was fulla studs, still is actually.

red
04-30-2008, 06:05 PM
OMG zool

you just fired one right past the mighty patler and he swung and missed bad

for the record, i knew what you were trying to say

Rich McGeorge
04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the welcome, guys. It's awesome to see all the old gang here!

:)

The big difference with the Ravens (IMO) is not the ability to find the right guys, but to develop a QB. Ozzie obviously knows how to find talent. Not too many teams know how to coach a QB. It's the same problem the Brears have had. They put together a pretty good D and had a pretty good O-line. They just couldn't figure out how to teach a young guy how to play in the NFL.

That's where we were lucky with Holmgren, and what TT hopes he brought back with MM. Based on how Brett's play improved dramatically last year, I think he made a good call. We'll really find out now that he has a stable of QBs to work with.

the_idle_threat
04-30-2008, 10:07 PM
The big difference with the Ravens (IMO) is not the ability to find the right guys, but to develop a QB.

Bingo. What's strange is that they've drafted guys practically every year and yet from all those guys they still don't have a competent starter to this day.

Contrast that with Wolf's picks---three of them went on to start for other teams; four if you include Ty Detmer's brief time as a starter.

By the way, welcome to Packerrats Rich. I'll admit I don't remember much of what you posted at JSO, because your avatars were usually too distracting. :lol:

Rich McGeorge
04-30-2008, 11:31 PM
LOL...I'm working on getting another avatar. I'm bored with the last one...

Zool
05-01-2008, 08:10 AM
OMG zool

you just fired one right past the mighty patler and he swung and missed bad

for the record, i knew what you were trying to say

I know. I'll never be posting in another thread with him again. I'm going out on top baby.