PDA

View Full Version : Article - Thank you Mike McCarthy

MJZiggy
04-29-2008, 08:26 PM
This is a special article to PackerRats.com. Thank you FavreChild for writing it. Please click here to read it! (http://www.packerrats.com)

PlantPage55
04-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Very nice stuff. Makes me proud to be a Cheesehead

RashanGary
04-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for sharing. It's great when these guys give back. It was always hard for me to see my strong, able little brother close to death with chemo treatments. He also had lymphoma. Sorry to hear about your aunt, but that was a great story. For all of the negative that gets tossed around about these guys, there sure is a lot of postive to be thankfull for too.

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Wow. That was powerful stuff. Thanks for posting it and thanks especially to FavreChild for telling the story. Part of why I love the Packers so is the family legacy it is for me, too. I'm sure many of us feel the same way.

Scott Campbell
04-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Wow. A tip of the hat to coach McCarthy. I'm glad your aunt go so much joy out of his act of kindness. It might have been lost on the casual fan.

MJZiggy
04-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Wow. A tip of the hat to coach McCarthy. I'm glad your aunt go so much joy out of his act of kindness. It might have been lost on the casual fan.

I wonder if he can tell by talking to patients which ones he should spend more time with (meaning which ones appreciate his presence more).

FavreChild
04-29-2008, 09:50 PM
I did not know about McCarthy's charity work until he so generously spent time with my aunt.

From Packers.com, this is apparently something he does on a regular basis, and, for obvious reasons, the team does not publicize:

"On an annual basis, he also visits cancer patients at Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center in Milwaukee, acts as presenter at the Lombardi Award of Excellence Dinner Ball, which supports the Vince Lombardi Charitable Funds in the fight against cancer, and serves as guest speaker at the Green & Gold Gala, a fundraiser for Family Services of Northeast Wisconsin."

Badgerinmaine
04-29-2008, 09:50 PM

I wonder if he can tell by talking to patients which ones he should spend more time with (meaning which ones appreciate his presence more).

I'm sure, from FC's description of the room, that he could tell--plus I would think if the hospital staff was good, they could have told him what a fan she was and mentioned it to him. Sometimes small kindnesses can mean so much. Good for M3. I'll bet there are a hundred more stories out there like this about the Packers.

KYPack
04-29-2008, 10:05 PM
FC, you've always followed our little traveling forum around. You've always been one of my favorite posters, for that great avatar, if nothing else.

I have to thank you for such a great, heartfelt article.

I imagine all of us get our share of teasing from others about being Packer fans. Most of us don't even try to explain why we are fans of the Pack, but this article captures a lot of it. There is so much spirit, heart, & emotion that goes along with the Green Bay tradition, it's dern near impossible to explain to "outsiders".

That fine article goes a long way in explaining what it means to be a Packer fan. Sure it's the team, wins, losses, SuperBowls and all the things that go with the NFL sport.

But it's more than that, it's a feeling, a journey that takes a person thru their whole life, from cradle to grave.

Your Aunt got it.

MM gets it.

And so do you.

Many thanks for that one, I gotta admit, I got sniffly and happy all in the same article.

Good job, FC.

pbmax
04-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Well, you stopped me cold. Here I was, scrolling down the list of topics to add to the collective knowledge of Packer fans (More New Booty Slogans!) and then a reminder that sports is, really, just a distraction.

If there is a redeeming quality about professional sports, it might be that it gives people a chance to make a difference in other's lives. I am glad that the Coach took the time to give your Aunt a visit, which she clearly enjoyed.

I am sorry for your loss FC and my family and I send our thoughts and prayers to you and your loved ones and hope that soon you will most remember the happiest times with your Aunt.

Boy, it sure is dusty in this room.

Bretsky
04-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Great article FC; thanks for sharing it

My best wishes, thoughts and prayers go to you and your family

vince
04-30-2008, 06:02 AM
Thanks for sharing that story FC. It makes me proud to not only share such a strong bond of being a fan of the greatest franchise in sports with so many people like you and your family, but to be a FavreChild fan as well.

Your personal notes about your aunt's father - your grandpa - and his bond with the Packers no doubt made a more meaningful impact on your aunt than even Coach McCarthy's visit.

Now she and your grandpa are resting peacefully and proudly cheering on the resurgent Packers alongside those Coach McCarthy would be excited to meet - Curly and Vince.

packinpatland
04-30-2008, 07:54 AM
My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.
Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm sure each NFL team has similar stories....but it does seem, possibly because of the size of GB, that the Packer organization does an incredible amount of selfless acts for individuals and the community. Thanks again.

Chubbyhubby
04-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Great story FC The Packers are a very special organization and what Mike McCarthy did by spending time with your Aunt proves it. Very touching story. Well done.

oregonpackfan
04-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Fabulous story, FC! Thank you for sharing it with us.

This reminds me of a poster of a boy helping a puppy up a staircase. The caption states, "No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted."

Mike McCathy extended a "small" act of kindness to your Aunt Pat but to her it was a huge act.

May all of us remember to extend small acts of kindness to people in our lives.

MadtownPacker
04-30-2008, 12:11 PM
That's a great story FC. Didnt think it was possible to like M3 anymore but the kindness and time he shared with your Aunt show what a class person he is.

Thank you for sharing something so personal. May your Aunt rest in peace at the big stadium in the sky.

GBRulz
04-30-2008, 01:10 PM
That is like the best article, ever! Thanks for sharing that, FC!!

I wish the media made a bigger effort to print stories like these. So many people just don't realize how charitable the NFL is, much more than any other organization.

If I didn't live here in GB, I would never hear of the local events that so many of the players and coaches participate in. The Packers are def a high class organization.

woodbuck27
04-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I did not know about McCarthy's charity work until he so generously spent time with my aunt.

From Packers.com, this is apparently something he does on a regular basis, and, for obvious reasons, the team does not publicize:

"On an annual basis, he also visits cancer patients at Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center in Milwaukee, acts as presenter at the Lombardi Award of Excellence Dinner Ball, which supports the Vince Lombardi Charitable Funds in the fight against cancer, and serves as guest speaker at the Green & Gold Gala, a fundraiser for Family Services of Northeast Wisconsin."

FavreChild:

Your story was touching with deep feeling.

Thanks for informing us of some of the things that Coach Mike McCarthy stands for behind the scene of Lambeau besides coaching OUR team on to victory.

PACKERS FOREVER.

neil38133
04-30-2008, 04:40 PM
FC, thanks for that article. The Packers are also a family tradition for me. My father died of cancer, and I slipped his Packer keychain into the casket at the funeral, it just seemed right.

Condolences on your loss, maybe your aunt will run into my Dad and Vince.

FavreChild
04-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts, everyone.

It was just a story that I knew you Rats would enjoy and appreciate.

"Packers forever" has a special meaning for us, ya know?

Deputy Nutz
05-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Holy Crap, that was a touching story.

jmbarnes101
05-02-2008, 06:51 PM
I had a hard time getting through that story and typing this post. I am so proud of this organization for all of the great work that they do now, in the past , and hopefully forever. I am also so happy that your ant was able to feel like great again because our coach cared enough to spend time with her. The memories that all of us have of this proud organization power us on to greater things.

FC, I am in no means trying to steal your thunder, your story was wonderful. However, if I could tell a brief story that reminds me of your own it would make me happy. Please skip it or delete it if you find it doesn't belong here, and as with FC I'm not looking for sympathy just sharing another happy occasion that our beloved team has provded.

My dad died in July 2004, at the age of 54, from lung cancer. He was a Packers fan from as far back as he can remember and even through the tough years remained so. I first became a Packer fan because of him. I won't bore you with the details but my dad was living in Duluth, MN during that time. Previously we lived in Superior, WI. A friend of my dad's sent a letter to the Packers organization saying how much of a fan my dad was and went into details on how. After about a month a package arrived and in it was a letter, a bunch of other stuff, and most importantly a christmas ornament. My dad's spirits were lifted as the friend brought it to him on Sunday duirng a Packer game. Even thee non-Packers fans though wow, this is a great organization to send stuff out of state to a fan. My dad died 7th months later but the thoughts and memories of our time watching football together and the generosity of this team made me appreciate them even more. I still hang that ornament every Christmas and I will always love my Green Bay Packers!

sheepshead
05-03-2008, 06:51 AM
There really isn't another them in sports like this one and no other fans like Packer fans. "It's like trying to tell a stranger about rock and roll"