PDA

View Full Version : Amazing sportsmanship story

oregonpackfan
04-30-2008, 10:21 AM
In a recent softball game between Western Oregon and Central Washington, WOU Sara Tucholsky came up to bat with two runners on base. She hit an apparent home run over the center field fence.

She was rounding first with her eyes on the ball clearing the fence. Realizing she had missed the bag, she stopped suddenly to go back for the tag.

At that instant, her knee buckled under her with an ACL tear. Writhing in agony, she dragged herself back to the bag and touched the bag with her hand.

Her first base coach realized he or Sara's teammates could not touch her or she would be ruled out. The umpire discussed the situation and ruled that a pinch runner could take her place but could not advance beyond first base. The two runners could advance to home plate but not her.

In an amazing display of sportsmanship, two Central Washington players came over, picked up the injured Western Oregon player and began carrying her around the basepath. They stopped at each base allowing her to touch the bag with her uninjured leg.

Western Oregon ended up winning the game 4-2. A senior at WOU, it was Sara's first and only home run of her collegiate career--an experience she will never forget.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1209525916199200.xml&coll=7

Harlan Huckleby
04-30-2008, 10:57 AM
wouldn't have happened in boys softball!

MadtownPacker
04-30-2008, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't have happened with people like you involved HH.

Great story OPF.

Harlan Huckleby
04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
oh no, I would have been good Samaritan too.

You would have used the distraction as opportunity to steal wallets from the locker room.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Good story OPF.

http://thesituationist.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/kirk-gibson.jpg

the_idle_threat
04-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Great story. Thanks for sharing, OPF.

Bretsky
04-30-2008, 09:26 PM

No way would guys have shown sportsmanship like that :!:

Harlan Huckleby
04-30-2008, 09:30 PM
OK, here I come, again to piss in the punch bowl.

I was listening to a discussion of this scene on the radio. Apparently the girls had trouble completely their inning,
they were all filled with emotion and crying over the beautiful gesture.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sorry. It was a lovely gesture, I'm all for it. But having a giant, self-congratulatory weeping session!!?? :lol: :lol:

My blowup doll NEVER cries. A perfect woman .

Bretsky
04-30-2008, 09:38 PM

I was listening to a discussion of this scene on the radio. Apparently the girls had trouble completely their inning,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sorry. It was a lovely gesture, I'm all for it. But having a giant, self-congratulatory weeping session!!?? :lol: :lol:

Ya, it's a cool chick sportsmanship story

Now guys, if that occured the 1st baseman would've kicked sand in the guys face after he fell down

oregonpackfan
04-30-2008, 11:27 PM

I guess the girls did not listen to Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own when he said, "There's no crying in baseball!" :lol:

Zool
05-01-2008, 07:51 AM

I assumed your perfect woman would have an adams apple and a secret.

woodbuck27
05-01-2008, 11:47 AM

No kidding. Nice story though. :)

oregonpackfan
05-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Here is a video describing the event. Just click on the video icon.

http://www.katu.com/sports/18406659.html

oregonpackfan
05-11-2008, 10:35 AM
This is an older thread. I just had a relative forward me the best version of this sportsmanship display.

http://www.komando.com/videos/5-6.asp

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Oregon, I thought I might be watching a parody from the Onion. They really layed it on thick with that soundtrack.