PDA

View Full Version : Brett speculation from LeRoy Butler

KYPack
04-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Don't shoot me, I'm only the messanger dept...

This from PFT

"Rumor Mill
BUTLER STIRRING THE BRETT POT
Posted by Mike Florio on April 30, 2008, 4:06 p.m.
Former Packers safety Leroy Butler is convinced that former Packers quarterback Brett Favre wants to play.

And Butler thinks it will only be a matter of time before Brett makes it known that he’s ready to return.

So says Butler in an interview with WTMJ in Milwaukee.

Butler speculates that, once Brett says he wants to play, the Packers likely won’t welcome him back. So then the question becomes whether he gets traded to another team.

That’s where Butler’s theory falls apart. He mentions the other NFC North teams — Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit — as the possible destinations for Favre.

There’s no way that the Packers would trade him to any of those teams. In fact, it’s possible that the Packers won’t trade him to anyone.

But Brett still has some leverage in this regard. He can show up at pretty much any time before the late November/early December deadline for coming off the reserve/retired list and say, “I’m here. Deal with me.”

If the Packers decide they don’t want him, they’ll either have to trade him or release him. And if they release him before the trade deadline, he becomes an unrestricted free agent, and can play for any team."

Great Gack!

Help me brothers and sisters!

make it stop!

The Leaper
04-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Favre made his decision, and he will stick with it. I'm sure he wants to play again, but he sure as hell doesn't want to go somewhere else to learn a new system. He also isn't interested in putting in the effort to play. As a guy pushing 40, it will take a lot of effort to be in good enough shape to play week in and week out.

Will he regret the decision he made down the road? I think he will...he may already regret it. That's something he will have to live with. I don't see him holding the Packers ransom to play elsewhere...and I don't really see Green Bay welcoming him back now.

hoosier
04-30-2008, 04:16 PM
I am less inclined to believe that Favre is seriously contemplating coming back (thought it's possible he doesn't know what he wants) and more inclined to think that he's addicted to the media spotlight. If that's the case, he doesn't need to come back at all, he just needs to keep dropping these tantalizing hints...until November comes and it's time to get off the pot. I think we just need to be patient for the next six months or so. and then the whole thing will just die its quiet little death.

neil38133
04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't think Brett is coming back, he has said he doesn't want to do all the preparation, and I believe him.

I also don't think he's a media hog. Reporters and others keep asking him about this, what is he supposed to do, ignore them, or lie to them? Sure, he has second thoughts - he is walking away from a game he loves, and a team that he gave a large portion of his life to. But the fact that he has doubts doesn't mean he's coming back.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
I just heard Brett on WKRP in Cincinnati speculating about LeRoy Butlers return to football.

Lurker64
04-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Why won't this stop?

cpk1994
04-30-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't think Brett is coming back, he has said he doesn't want to do all the preparation, and I believe him.

I also don't think he's a media hog. Reporters and others keep asking him about this, what is he supposed to do, ignore them, or lie to them? Sure, he has second thoughts - he is walking away from a game he loves, and a team that he gave a large portion of his life to. But the fact that he has doubts doesn't mean he's coming back.He can stop agreeing to do interviews, so they can't ask him questions. Brett just needds to shut up already.

RashanGary
04-30-2008, 06:31 PM
I just called 107.5 today and asked Havel what he thinks happened. Havel is very loyal to Brett and won't say anything that would hurt his buddy, but he did say a few thigns.

First off, the reason I called was because Havel has been hinting here and there that Brett didn't really know what he wanted to do. He also hinted that the Packers were luke warm on having him back.

I'll do my best to paraphrase Havel here, but here's what he said. He said from what he understands, the Packers gave him a timeline and Brett didn't want a timeline. Rather than making a commitment to something he wasn't 100% sure of at the momen, he retired. Havel didn't say what Brett is feeling now, but what he did say pretty much tells me that Brett does want to come back. Havel said Brett should have said he was coming back and then in August if he really wasn't into it to retire (basically making a situation that keeps him out of the predicament he's in now which is wanting to play but being backed in a corner). The feeling I get from Havel is that Brett wants back in and Havel is a pretty darn reliable source for Brett Favre info.

Anyway, I believe this story. I think Brett is strongly reconsidering his decision. I think he wants another year. I don't know how open the Packers will be to taking him back. If I had to guess, I'd guess they are ready to move on. On a side note, I'd love to trade him for a 2nd round pick.

RashanGary
04-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Also, Havel has said over the last week or two that the Packers didn't even make an effort to ask him to come back. From everything I am piecing together, they made the deadline and told him he had to have an answer. He told them on that day that he had to retire becuase he wasn't sure. They said "OK". It all happened very fast. I don't even think Brett realized they were serious. He's used to being given more time, given mini camps off and being coddled. Instead they hung up the phone and let the story out before he could change his mind, then called him in for a retirement presser. Just like that, he was done. In his mind, I think he was just posturing to have mini camp off. In McCarthy's mind it was over on that day.

Freak Out
04-30-2008, 06:42 PM
I just heard Brett on WKRP in Cincinnati speculating about LeRoy Butlers return to football.

Who was doing the interview?

gbgary
04-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Why won't this stop?

YES!! enough already!! i can't believe he'd come back and create a hugh mess like that. he's done. i wish reporters would stop the repeated, goading questions.

packers11
04-30-2008, 07:26 PM
On a side note, I'd love to trade him for a 2nd round pick.

I hope that was a sarcastic remark...

If not that should be nominated for the dumbest post ever... :lol:

swede
04-30-2008, 07:31 PM

I think Brett is worth at least as much as John Hadl.

And he has more hair.

GBRulz
04-30-2008, 07:35 PM
He can stop agreeing to do interviews, so they can't ask him questions. Brett just needds to shut up already.

I bet if you count the media stories, there are more articles about possible scenario type things vs Brett conducting interviews. I mean, take this one for example, Butler is blabbing his mouth...just one of many. Really has nothing to do with "brett needing to shut up already."

BTW, I'm still waiting for this big free agent announcement that Butler said was going down last off-season. Now THIS is a guy who sometimes has a yapper that never shuts up.

Kiwon
04-30-2008, 07:50 PM
When Brett says that he's not going to keep in shape I believe him.

Last year was a great run for him and the Packers came very close to getting into the Super Bowl. He left the game on a high note.

Besides, even if he wanted to come back, my guess is that his family would put the brakes on. Sharing their husband and father with everyone else for 17 seasons is enough.

Bretsky
04-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Also, Havel has said over the last week or two that the Packers didn't even make an effort to ask him to come back. From everything I am piecing together, they made the deadline and told him he had to have an answer. He told them on that day that he had to retire becuase he wasn't sure. They said "OK". It all happened very fast. I don't even think Brett realized they were serious. He's used to being given more time, given mini camps off and being coddled. Instead they hung up the phone and let the story out before he could change his mind, then called him in for a retirement presser. Just like that, he was done. In his mind, I think he was just posturing to have mini camp off. In McCarthy's mind it was over on that day.

None of this surprises me one dam bit

I've listened to several radio sports guys note NFL sources have told them over and over that the Packers would welcome Brett back.........but at the same time they were ready to move on without him.

That is what I believe to be true; so I'd tend to believe everything you stated.

Bretsky
04-30-2008, 08:01 PM
My father, who is a huge Packers fan as well as a Favre fan, is of the belief that Favre still wants to play but the Packer brass didn't really care if he returned or not

Had supper at his joint tonight, and Papa Bretsky joked how it would be funny if Tom Brady went down in the first game of the season to injury, Bellichek called up the Packers for permission to deal with Favre, traded for him........and he ends up in New England and leads them to a SuperBowl Victory.

Sounded like a classic story.

rbaloha1
04-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Always felt if MM treated BF like Mike Sherman BF would still be playing in GB.

I would venture to guess Bus Cook is seeking teams that meet BF's treatment criteria.

Should one be found what is wrong with collecting draft pics for BF? After all BF can still play.

Packnut
04-30-2008, 08:08 PM
It's pretty obvious by now that Favre knows he made a HUGE mistake. He let the sour ending in the Giants game guide his emotions. His retiring was just plain dumb and un-called for. How many times in how many sports have we seen a basically young team get to the mountain top only to get pushed back and then make it back all the way.

Had Favre come back, the SB was a very possible reality. But ya know what?
It's to late. I love Favre more than words can express, but it's over now. He's the one that screwed up and now he has to take responsibility for it.

This is now the A-Rod show and Brett need's to enjoy his lovely wife, beautiful daughters and all that cash and just fade away.............

cpk1994
04-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Always felt if MM treated BF like Mike Sherman BF would still be playing in GB.

I would venture to guess Bus Cook is seeking teams that meet BF's treatment criteria.

Should one be found what is wrong with collecting draft pics for BF? After all BF can still play.If MM treated Brett like Mike Sherman did, the Packers never would have made the NFC title game because Brett would still have been out of control on the field. It weas Sherman's handling of Favre that was partly the reason Sherman got fired. As for Bus Cook, he is slime and is just using Brett Farve to fuel his issues against TT.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2008, 08:38 PM

Man, you make him sound like the Diana Ross of the NFL.

packinpatland
04-30-2008, 08:49 PM
My father, who is a huge Packers fan as well as a Favre fan, is of the belief that Favre still wants to play but the Packer brass didn't really care if he returned or not

Had supper at his joint tonight, and Papa Bretsky joked how it would be funny if Tom Brady went down in the first game of the season to injury, Bellichek called up the Packers for permission to deal with Favre, traded for him........and he ends up in New England and leads them to a SuperBowl Victory.

OH MY GOD! Bresky......would you be a happy camper or what! :lol:

Joemailman
04-30-2008, 08:52 PM
I suspect Favre will probably change his mind a few dozen times about whether he made the right decision between now and the start of the season. Hopefully he'll find something new to apply his considerable energies to. There is no way a great athlete like him can retire while still playing at a high level and not question his decision to retire.

Bretsky
04-30-2008, 08:53 PM

OH MY GOD! Bresky......would you be a happy camper or what! :lol:

I'd much rather see BF win a Super Bowl for GB

b bulldog
04-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Nick, I heard that call on the radio today. hAVEL DID SAY REPEATEDLY that if he was Brett, he would have just kept saying that he was going to come back and than once camp opened, if he still didn't feel like he wanted to be there, he could have than retired.

b bulldog
04-30-2008, 09:01 PM
I got the feeling that Havel didn't know for sure that he wanted back in, just that he will most likely be changing his mind on a daily basis but once the smell of fall is in the air and he knows he should be getting ready for camp, that is when he will definitely miss the game. One more thing, Chris Havel imo likes to really make it sound as though he and Brett are best buds and I think he would love for all of us Packers fans to think him and Brett are tight. i belive about half of what comes out of his mouth when it comes to his Favre stories.

hoosier
04-30-2008, 09:15 PM

I didn't hear any indecisiveness in his retirement press conference. And why would Brett be so sensitive that he'd retire because of what he thought management wanted? He's not that thin-skinned.

Packnut
04-30-2008, 09:17 PM
This whole thing has the POTENTIAL to turn into one huge mess. If Favre decides he wants back in and Thompson says no thanks (which he should do), I can see a scenario where Favre's competetive juices start flowing and he decides to teach Teddy a lesson in respect.

Favre can force TT to release him. Now no way in hell does Brett go to Chicago. Not out of loyalty but because he would not make a difference here. However, I can see Minny handing him the key to the twin cities. With that run game and that defense, well I get nauseus just thinking about it..........

Lurker64
04-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Favre can force TT to release him.

How?

Bretsky
04-30-2008, 09:23 PM

How?

Won't be any releasing IMO

If it happens it starts with Favre letting TT know he wants to continue playing

TT either accepting Favre back or letting him know thanks....we're set up at QB
and he'll do his best to make a deal to trade Favre.

Packnut
04-30-2008, 09:26 PM

How?

He reports to traing camp. He never filed his retirement papers with the NFL so technically he still is not retired.

Tarlam!
04-30-2008, 09:29 PM
....we're set up at QB

We might be set up, but we're not set.

We have 2 1/2 rookies to play the position. It's conceivable that Flynn hits the PS if Favre comes back.

Packers4Ever
04-30-2008, 09:45 PM
[quote="hoosier"]I am less inclined to believe that Favre is seriously contemplating coming back (thought it's possible he doesn't know what he wants) and more inclined to think that he's addicted to the media spotlight. If that's the case, he doesn't need to come back at all, he just needs to keep dropping these tantalizing hints...until November comes and it's time to get off the pot. I think we just need to be patient for the next six months or so. and then the whole thing will just die its quiet little death.[/quote

I don't think Brett will seriously consider returning although I'm sure it goes through his head at odd times.
I don't think he's addicted to media spotlight either, getting a lot of attention on the football field is one thing - in front of a camera answering questions is quite another. You can tell by the way he answers questions, he doesn't appear too comfortable and it comes out in his speech.

Much as I love Brett and know how much we'll miss him (and that will probably never go away) we're over the hump now and looking forward to
a new season - speaking of which, it was great to see the draft go so well, sounds like Ted had a good time too ! 8-)

The Leaper
04-30-2008, 10:41 PM
I didn't hear any indecisiveness in his retirement press conference.

Whatever.

Favre said the phrase "I don't know" about 100 different times during that week when he retired. When pressed about how he felt, he always said "I don't know.

I heard all kinds of indecisiveness when Favre retired...and was quite vocal about the fact that I thought Favre was making a mistake. That isn't to say that I think retiring was a mistake...but that he made the decision too quickly without allowing himself adequate time to decompress from a whirlwind season.

I also don't buy the bullshit about the Packers putting a timeline on Brett. Why? What the hell was the rush? They had an adequate backup in Rodgers who could step in anytime when Favre bowed out. The Packers were set either way, so Favre's decision really had no impact on them.

texaspackerbacker
04-30-2008, 11:51 PM
It's pretty obvious by now that Favre knows he made a HUGE mistake. He let the sour ending in the Giants game guide his emotions. His retiring was just plain dumb and un-called for. How many times in how many sports have we seen a basically young team get to the mountain top only to get pushed back and then make it back all the way.

Had Favre come back, the SB was a very possible reality. But ya know what?
It's to late. I love Favre more than words can express, but it's over now. He's the one that screwed up and now he has to take responsibility for it.

This is now the A-Rod show and Brett need's to enjoy his lovely wife, beautiful daughters and all that cash and just fade away.............

After reading all the posts of the thread, I think this one has it nailed. Packnut also has the best avatar.

Pacopete4
05-01-2008, 12:03 AM
I dont understand why people are saying it's too late? We are not even to mini camp yet. What is he missing that he would be doing if he did not retire? I understand that Arod would be jerked around but really, who cares? Isn't the best thing for the Packers is to have the best available on the field? Well thats Brett Favre. Even if you want a new era to start (which, why the hell would u?) Brett Favre is our best option at least for this season. Hell the best thing might be him coming back giving Brohm a year to learn and take over.

Sammy4Pack
05-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Nick, I heard that call on the radio today. hAVEL DID SAY REPEATEDLY that if he was Brett, he would have just kept saying that he was going to come back and than once camp opened, if he still didn't feel like he wanted to be there, he could have than retired.

this whole thing seems really F'd up.

that train of thought is stupid. BF would never have strung the team along beyond the draft not knowing if he wanted to return.

sure hope the rumor is not true. my view of TT will be far less if in fact they gave him some deadline.

if all this is true and TT would deny him to return, how would he explain that to the Packer nation? believe it or not, packer fans, seemingly unlike many here, would like to see him return.

pbmax
05-01-2008, 12:29 AM
He will be hard pressed to trade that contract with a large salary in the middle of training camp. If Favre shows up in the 3rd or fourth week of August, he might be able to force a release. And with a large contract and less than a full pre-season to prepare, teams would be wise to lowball and see if he makes it to FA.

And, if Favre needs to renegotiate that contract in order to be traded, he will then be in the driver's seat. He will have a veto over who and when. We'll know sometime after June 1, if Thompson is sitting on his normal cap availability PLUS $10 million, then he is thinking about this too.

On the flip-side, no one will be under more pressure than Murph and the Magictones this season if they are the people who trade/release Favre.

I would back them if he showed up that late, but I am guessing I'd be in the minority. And for the record, the first week of March is not much of a deadline, if indeed Havel has this right. It was the same timing as before, shortly before Free Agency opened.

How?

Won't be any releasing IMO

If it happens it starts with Favre letting TT know he wants to continue playing

TT either accepting Favre back or letting him know thanks....we're set up at QB

Joemailman
05-01-2008, 06:58 AM

Whatever.

Favre said the phrase "I don't know" about 100 different times during that week when he retired. When pressed about how he felt, he always said "I don't know.

I heard all kinds of indecisiveness when Favre retired...and was quite vocal about the fact that I thought Favre was making a mistake. That isn't to say that I think retiring was a mistake...but that he made the decision too quickly without allowing himself adequate time to decompress from a whirlwind season.

I also don't buy the bullshit about the Packers putting a timeline on Brett. Why? What the hell was the rush? They had an adequate backup in Rodgers who could step in anytime when Favre bowed out. The Packers were set either way, so Favre's decision really had no impact on them.

My recollection is the Packers did not set a timeline. In fact, McCarthy did just the opposite. He told Favre to take his time making a decision, and to make sure he was totally committed if he decided to come back. Favre's statement at the press conference which was something along the lines of "I know I can still play. I don't think I want to" suggests he just wasn't willing to make that commitment. Why he felt he had to make a decision as early as he did is not clear to me.

Bretsky
05-01-2008, 07:06 AM

Whatever.

My recollection is the Packers did not set a timeline. In fact, McCarthy did just the opposite. He told Favre to take his time making a decision, and to make sure he was totally committed if he decided to come back. Favre's statement at the press conference which was something along the lines of "I know I can still play. I don't think I want to" suggests he just wasn't willing to make that commitment. Why he felt he had to make a decision as early as he did is not clear to me.

Only a few know what really went on; Havel might be one of them

sheepshead
05-01-2008, 07:20 AM
I think Brett wants to play football. I think we'll see more of this sort of thing over the next few months. As soon as he got as emotional as he did on his March 4 presser, I thought --he isn't done.

I also don't think it's TT's or MM's job to woo him back or kiss his ass in the off season. I coach travel baseball and there is a huge difference in kids that want to be there and in-house kids whos parents sign them up on in-house teams. More specifically I never, unless I have no choice, put a kid on the mound that isn't up for it, one way or another. I think the same thing applies here. QB in the NFL is a big job. You cant have a guy who is under center unless he's in there 110%. Begging a guy to come back doesnt get that result. TT knows it, MM knows it and Brett knows it. It's difficult for him because he's an emotional guy. Wears his heart on his sleeve for all of us to see. There will be drama, no doubt. But what were likely talking about is one more year and if he's not up for everything that's involved in that year, we're all better off with Aaron Rodgers under center.

3irty1
05-01-2008, 08:04 AM
I think Brett wants to concentrate on baseball under the alter ego "Geoff Jenkins." I think its obvious that there is a correlation between his move to the Phillies and Brett's retirement.

The Leaper
05-01-2008, 08:05 AM
I think Brett wants to play football. I think we'll see more of this sort of thing over the next few months. As soon as he got as emotional as he did on his March 4 presser, I thought --he isn't done.

I agree. To me, it seemed like he was forcing himself to make the decision when he really wasn't sure...thus all the tears. He said mostly the right things...that he just couldn't handle it anymore. However, he did not seem to be a man truly at peace with his decision then...and it ain't likely to get any better in the months ahead.

If you truly reach the decision that you can't go on anymore...and have had the great career and success that Favre has had...your retirement should be a moment of celebration, not bawling. Dan Marino had a hell of a lot more to cry about when he retired...did he cry like a busted hooker?

KYPack
05-01-2008, 08:17 AM
I so sick of the speculation and "on again, off again" mentality of this situation.

There is stuff leaking out of the Favre camp. His brothers and Bus Cook have spilled a lot of beans about Brett's frustrations over the years. This stuff is a little unfair, because they get to see the Brett that is "behind the curtain".

I've always felt that Brett made this announcement a little premature. He had that long season. The Giant game really took it's toll on him. He was at a point where he needed to start his off-season work routine shortly and just couldn't do it any more. He could play that fall, but couldn't handle the off-season prep. Now that his head is clear, he's starting to wonder. His appearance on Letterman showed some of that. The Letterman thing also showed a little of Brett's personality. BF is an imp. He likes to joke, kid around, and can be a little goofy at times. Very hard to tell if he's kidding or having second thoughts. Probably both, to an extent.

I guess we have to go thru it with him, but man, this shit is driving me nuts.

Packnut
05-01-2008, 08:20 AM
I think perception will play a big part in this drama (unless Favre has another change of heart and stays retired).

Does Thompson want to be known as the guy who did the nice thing and give Brett his release or would he rather be the guy who traded a legend?

I also really did'nt consider the flip side as to how the Packer nation will view this whole thing. If Favre wants back in, will there be an over-riding scream from fans wanting him back? Would it force Thompson to reverse his current position?

I also wonder what MM really thinks about all this. I mean, from a football perspective, his job is much easier with Favre playing. He can open this offense up and do what-ever he wants. With Rodgers, he's more restricted.

Packnut
05-01-2008, 08:23 AM
I so sick of the speculation and "on again, off again" mentality of this situation.

There is stuff leaking out of the Favre camp. His brothers and Bus Cook have spilled a lot of beans about Brett's frustrations over the years. This stuff is a little unfair, because they get to see the Brett that is "behind the curtain".

I've always felt that Brett made this announcement a little premature. He had that long season. The Giant game really took it's toll on him. He was at a point where he needed to start his off-season work routine shortly and just couldn't do it any more. He could play that fall, but couldn't handle the off-season prep. Now that his head is clear, he's starting to wonder. His appearance on Letterman showed some of that. The Letterman thing also showed a little of Brett's personality. BF is an imp. He likes to joke, kid around, and can be a little goofy at times. Very hard to tell if he's kidding or having second thoughts. Probably both, to an extent.

I guess we have to go thru it with him, but man, this shit is driving me nuts.

Yep, it's like having a bad break-up and then when you finally come to terms with it, the person who dumped ya comes back and brings up all the old emotions.

My biggest problem with the whole thing is it will be a distraction for the team until it is settled one way or another.

Maxie the Taxi
05-01-2008, 08:32 AM
All this Favre speculation is making me a crumpier old man than I already am. Time to move on.

Coach Norman Dale in the movie "Hoosiers:"

"I would hope you'd support who we are, not who we are not. These six individuals have made the choice to work, the choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line twenty three nights for the next four months, to represent you, this highschool. That kind of committment and effort deserves and demands your respect. This is your team!"

hoosier
05-01-2008, 08:32 AM
I think perception will play a big part in this drama (unless Favre has another change of heart and stays retired).

Does Thompson want to be known as the guy who did the nice thing and give Brett his release or would he rather be the guy who traded a legend?

I agree with your sentiment about perception, at least as far as the Packers fan base goes. But it's interesting that you frame the thing in terms of what TT wants. As far as I can tell, TT really doesn't give much thought to how he will be perceived, he just does what he considers to be the right thing or the necessary thing. That ability to separate good judgment from the desire to be liked or loved is a key ingredient for making a great executive.

I also wonder what MM really thinks about all this. I mean, from a football perspective, his job is much easier with Favre playing. He can open this offense up and do what-ever he wants. With Rodgers, he's more restricted.

I see it just the opposite: with Rodgers MM's job becomes much easier, since he's now dealing with a young QB who isn't set in his ways and doesn't have a bigger-than-life reputation to fall back on when he screws up. MM did a masterful job last year (as far as I can tell) of reining Favre in: the two big differences between the 2007 Favre and the 2005-06 version are (1) healthy, deep and productive receiving corps and (2) in 2007 for the most part Favre didn't try to win the game in one play. MM got him to play within himself, but it can't have been easy. With Rodgers, on the other hand, he doesn't have to deal with the gunslinger instinct.

Merlin
05-01-2008, 08:35 AM
I dont understand why people are saying it's too late? We are not even to mini camp yet. What is he missing that he would be doing if he did not retire? I understand that Arod would be jerked around but really, who cares? Isn't the best thing for the Packers is to have the best available on the field? Well thats Brett Favre. Even if you want a new era to start (which, why the hell would u?) Brett Favre is our best option at least for this season. Hell the best thing might be him coming back giving Brohm a year to learn and take over.

I couldn't agree more. Favre has been retired for what? 4-6 weeks? He isn't allowed to change his mind???

The Leaper
05-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Coach Norman Dale in the movie "Hoosiers:"

"I would hope you'd support who we are, not who we are not. These six individuals have made the choice to work, the choice to sacrifice, to put themselves on the line twenty three nights for the next four months, to represent you, this highschool. That kind of committment and effort deserves and demands your respect. This is your team!"

I understand the notion, Maxie...

However, didn't the reluctant star player return to the team and lead them to a title in that movie?

:D

sharpe1027
05-01-2008, 08:56 AM

How?

He reports to traing camp. He never filed his retirement papers with the NFL so technically he still is not retired.

I don't think the retirement papers mean anything more than collecting retirement money. As I undestand it, once he announced he retired, the Packers are the ones who officially list his as retired, which I think they just did. Can anyone confirm this?

That being said, I don't think there is anything that would stop him from un-retiring.

Packnut
05-01-2008, 09:26 AM

I agree with your sentiment about perception, at least as far as the Packers fan base goes. But it's interesting that you frame the thing in terms of what TT wants. As far as I can tell, TT really doesn't give much thought to how he will be perceived, he just does what he considers to be the right thing or the necessary thing. That ability to separate good judgment from the desire to be liked or loved is a key ingredient for making a great executive.

I see it just the opposite: with Rodgers MM's job becomes much easier, since he's now dealing with a young QB who isn't set in his ways and doesn't have a bigger-than-life reputation to fall back on when he screws up. MM did a masterful job last year (as far as I can tell) of reining Favre in: the two big differences between the 2007 Favre and the 2005-06 version are (1) healthy, deep and productive receiving corps and (2) in 2007 for the most part Favre didn't try to win the game in one play. MM got him to play within himself, but it can't have been easy. With Rodgers, on the other hand, he doesn't have to deal with the gunslinger instinct.

Your right about TT now really caring about perception. However, I think Favre is a different matter than draft choices. We're talking about a legend here.

The problem with MM prefering Rodgers for the reasonsyou listed is factoring in his injury history. I mean we have a starting QB now who has missed more time to injury in 3 years than the previous starter did in 17 years! MM would be a fool to want to take that risk. Starting Brohm would severely limit MM's offense.

packers11
05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
OK I HAVE A BRILLIANT IDEA

Lets just make 1 damn thread for all the "FAVRE RUMORS" that happen to POP UP every week... It can be like the "NFL DRAFT THREAD" except this thread will go on for about uhhh 45 more years until hes finally 6 feet under... :lol:

All kidding aside... We will end up having these discussions every other week when another report comes out... I would love to see BF back but until its official that he is coming back then we should put this to bed... :beat:

cpk1994
05-01-2008, 11:08 AM

How?

I don't think the retirement papers mean anything more than collecting retirement money. As I undestand it, once he announced he retired, the Packers are the ones who officially list his as retired, which I think they just did. Can anyone confirm this?

That being said, I don't think there is anything that would stop him from un-retiring.Yes, the Packers put Brett on the Retired list which takes his contract off the salary cap count. Brett WILL NOT be traded becuase no team will take on that contract, especially considering it would probably for one year. The Packers have moved on, its time Brett shut up and move on as well.

Fritz
05-01-2008, 12:28 PM

I also don't think it's TT's or MM's job to woo him back or kiss his ass in the off season. I coach travel baseball and there is a huge difference in kids that want to be there and in-house kids whos parents sign them up on in-house teams. More specifically I never, unless I have no choice, put a kid on the mound that isn't up for it, one way or another. I think the same thing applies here. QB in the NFL is a big job. You cant have a guy who is under center unless he's in there 110%. Begging a guy to come back doesnt get that result. TT knows it, MM knows it and Brett knows it. It's difficult for him because he's an emotional guy. Wears his heart on his sleeve for all of us to see. There will be drama, no doubt. But what were likely talking about is one more year and if he's not up for everything that's involved in that year, we're all better off with Aaron Rodgers under center.

What he said.

Tarlam!
05-01-2008, 12:33 PM
What he said.

I'm not disagreeing with the begging etc.

What I will suggest is that they must have been motivated (TT and M3) by A-Rod's contract status.

BF, maybe 2 more in the tank. AR, contract up next year.

I don't think anybody expected BF to play Pro-Bowl calibre football in 2007. But he did.

I think he was rushed and now, we all have to suffer.

Bretsky
05-01-2008, 12:42 PM
What he said.

I'm not disagreeing with the begging etc.

What I will suggest is that they must have been motivated (TT and M3) by A-Rod's contract status.

I don't think anybody expected BF to play Pro-Bowl calibre football in 2007. But he did.

I think he was rushed and now, we all have to suffer.

What Tarlem Said

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I said I agreed with Packnut's earlier post that by now, Favre was probably regretting his decision. However, I do not agree that he WILL come back--that it will come down to a decision by Thompson to either trade or release Favre.

I think Brett is man enough to live with the decision he made--even though by now, even he realizes it was a bad one. Having a family and a farm that he loves, and a good many million dollars probably makes living with the decison a lot easier.

The only way he would play again would be if a call came from the Packers, and given the probable circumstances of his retirement, it would take having them ask in the right way. That is probably less likely after the drafting of Brohm, but I still think if the unlikely (IMO) circumstance that Rodgers got hurt, Favre would be called, and to the Packers, and only to the Packers, he would say yes.

I still don't think it will happen, though. I think the NFL has seen the last of #4.

Chester Marcol
05-01-2008, 02:10 PM
I think the real test will be when training camp starts and BF has the urge to pull somebody's pants down or rip a nasty ass fart or pinch someone on the back of the arm. Will Deanna be able to take it?

The Leaper
05-01-2008, 03:23 PM

Rodgers signed a 5 year deal prior to the 2005 season, so he's still under contract for the next TWO seasons...through the end of 2009.

As such, why would the Packers feel a need to rush Favre on a decision this offseason? I could see the argument having a lot more cred if Rodgers was going into the last year of his deal, as the Packers would want to see him on the field before giving him another contract.

However, that is not the case.

sharpe1027
05-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes, the Packers put Brett on the Retired list which takes his contract off the salary cap count. Brett WILL NOT be traded becuase no team will take on that contract, especially considering it would probably for one year. The Packers have moved on, its time Brett shut up and move on as well.

Thanks, that's what I thought. So basically, people have been looking for excuses to make this a story. I've read over and over again about how he is coming back because there is no reason why he hasn't filed his retirement papers, but low-and-behold, it has nothing to do with his actual retirement. It only matters if he wants to claim retirement benefits. Considering how much money he's made, I doubt that's high on his list.

I haven't read or heard anything that Brett has said that leads me to believe he is coming back. Brett has said he isn't coming back. Everything else is just people looking for something that isn't there, just like the whole retirement papers thing. :roll:

Pacopete4
05-01-2008, 04:46 PM
thats another thing too.. no need to sign the papers. #1- it doesn't affect the team at all, and #2- it does leave that door open for a return if he does feel so strongly that he did make the mistake.

Too much is being made about what other people are saying about what Brett Favre is thinking.. people need to leave it alone until he, himself says that he is coming back, otherwise it's like he said... HE"S RETIRED!

MJZiggy
05-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I think the real test will be when training camp starts and BF has the urge to pull somebody's pants down or rip a nasty ass fart or pinch someone on the back of the arm. Will Deanna be able to take it?

That's what he's got brothers for...

cpk1994
05-02-2008, 05:43 AM
thats another thing too.. no need to sign the papers. #1- it doesn't affect the team at all, and #2- it does leave that door open for a return if he does feel so strongly that he did make the mistake.

Too much is being made about what other people are saying about what Brett Favre is thinking.. people need to leave it alone until he, himself says that he is coming back, otherwise it's like he said... HE"S RETIRED!

Again, the papers mean NOTHING orther than retirement benefits . He can come back even if he signs the papers. I don't know why people continue to obsess over the papers.

Merlin
05-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Negotiations for Rodgers next contract will start during or after this season as they always do for players who will be within less then two years until the end of their contract. Rodgers I believe is getting paid 1st round #24 pay and has a bunch of high paying incentives in his contract that he hasn't had the chance to escalate to yet. If Favre is here this season, how do you accurately extend Rodgers contract beyond 2009 as you do with most other players during the 2008 season or prior to the 2009 season? Does he deserve more then the vet minimum for being a backup QB or do you continue to pay him his draft status pay when Favre hangs em up after this season?

I can't answer that, no one can. That is a legitimate dilemma right now for Thompson. Did it play into any of the way he treated or didn't treat Favre in the off season? I have no idea. But don't dismiss Rodgers contract so quickly, there is some merit to that.

woodbuck27
05-02-2008, 09:42 AM

I hope that was a sarcastic remark...

If not that should be nominated for the dumbest post ever... :lol:

Ditto. . but I won't say dumb,rather ill thought out JH.Think about it JH et all:

1.Favre was arguably the best offensive player in the NFC in 2007. What, "Air Player of the week five times".

2. He just passed for more than 4100 yards and 28 TD's! Yes he set the All -Time pick record too.

Does it seem right to dump him to whatever team for a lousy hit or miss draft pick?

3. This is a sure fired first round and possibly unanomous HOFer after the voting.

4. This is a man loved by more Packer fans than not.

5. This is a man that owns every important passing record in the NFL.

Favre busted his balls for the team in 2007. He was 110% committed. He did all he could to fulfill his desire to get to the Super Bowl. His reality said " that he needed more rest prior to the 2008 regular schedule ". It's coming out that possibly? The Packer Team Management wasn't "in fact" behind his return in 2008. Why if that's the case should the Packer hide behind falsehoods?

The solution:

Give Favre his outright release if he wants to play again. Let the cards fall from there. Afterall, what would it have cost TT's beanbank to see him return Vs retire?

I hope this doesn't get messy but I do believe Brett Favre is having second thoughts of retiring and knows he can still play. Of course, he wants to play for his team. That's . . . in that man. Brett Favre needs to compete. He knows he can. This story won't go away because Favre maybe felt, he needed more support? Another real talent on offense.

Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers and about $5 Million more in Ted's huge pot of Packer Gold? An easy answer to that question for any fan that wants to win in 2008.

PACKERS FOREVER!

woodbuck27
05-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Bottom line: I want Favre back for the 2008 season.

I want to win. I'm selfish. :D

The Leaper
05-02-2008, 10:02 AM
If Favre is here this season, how do you accurately extend Rodgers contract beyond 2009 as you do with most other players during the 2008 season or prior to the 2009 season?

Even after playing a full season in 2008, I doubt Thompson will be ready to give Rodgers a massive new long-term contract (which is really the only contract Rodgers will be looking to accept at that point) with Brohm waiting in the wings.

The bottom line is that Rodgers' contract situation will probably still be up in the air after this season unless he remains injury free and plays lights out over 16 games. Obviously, that is a possibility (we all hope it happens) but the chances are better that Rodgers will have some struggles in his first season as a starter.

I just think you are reading way too much into it. In fact, if Rodgers has a relatively good year in 2008...but not good enough that you are entirely certain of his potential or durability...I think his contract situation actually becomes MORE DIFFICULT for Thompson to deal with. It will drive his price up, potentially to a point higher than Thompson will be willing to pay.

sharpe1027
05-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Favre is done and Elvis is dead.
End of line.
That's all she wrote.
The fat lady has sung.
Nothing to see here folks, move along.
The horse is dead.
Thanks for coming, be sure to tip your waitstaff on the way out.

Could I be wrong about both? Yes. You can find things here and there to build a case either way, but weighing all the evidence, I've come to the conclusion that it is over.

Packerarcher
05-06-2008, 02:46 PM

I could not agree more,even though unfortunenately I don't think Brett is coming back. If he wanted to it would be the best thing for this team. I have said it before and I will say it again. Those of you that think Rodgers is just going to step in and fill the shoes of Brett Favre are sadly mistaken.