PDA

View Full Version : Record Flooding in Northern Maine-Fish and St. John Rivers

woodbuck27
05-02-2008, 08:32 AM
May 2, 2008, 6:43AM

Maine river crests after surging to record high

By DAVID SHARP Associated Press Writer
© 2008 The Associated Press

Video Report FORT KENT, Maine — The rain-swollen St. John River crested early Thursday after hitting a record high, forcing residents to flee to higher ground as more than 100 homes flooded.

Rain and melting snow raised the St. John to more than 30 feet — about 5 feet above flood stage — causing widespread flooding. The previous record crest of 27.3 feet was set in 1979.

Floodwaters flowed down streets and swamped homes, businesses, yards and the landmark St. Louis Catholic Church in the center of town.

At Quigley's Building Supply, the waters filled the lumber yard in less than half an hour, sending lumber downriver and putting the yard under 12 feet of water.

Manager Justin Dubois was philosophical about the losses.

"It's frustrating but at least everyone's OK. Everything is replaceable," he said.

Nearby, Christine Chasse used a snow shovel to push water and debris out of her two-car garage. A hastily made berm protected her home from the Fish River on one side while the town levee protected her home from the St. John River on other side.

Still, the waters managed to flood her basement and turn her yard into a lake. Her family moved the furniture to the second floor when they were told to evacuate.

"I'm very sad to see the church under water, and I realize there are some people worse off than us," she said.

About 1,000 residents were told to leave and as many as 140 homes were flooded. Authorities said it could be this weekend before people are allowed to return to their flooded homes, and driving around Aroostook County was a challenge because so many bridges and roads were closed.

But officials sighed with relief that water did not spill over a levee. Also, the International Bridge that connects Maine and Canada held up, despite fears that the raging waters could drag it down, choking the fast-moving river and sending more water into the town.

"If the bridge had let go, that would've been the end for Fort Kent. The whole town would've washed out," Police Chief Kenneth Michaud said Thursday. No one was hurt, he said.

The spring flooding realized the worst fears of emergency management officials after a winter in which some parts of northern Maine saw more than 200 inches of snow. Despite the melting snow, it seemed that the region had dodged heavy floods until 3 to 4 inches of rain fell on Tuesday.

That deluge, combined with melting snow, sent rivers and streams rising across northern Maine.

Elsewhere, flood warnings were issued for portions of the Penobscot, Kennebec, Aroostook, St. Francis and Mattawamkeag rivers. Small numbers of evacuations were reported in Van Buren, Wallagrass, Milford and Masardis.

More than 100 state roads and dozens of local roads were shut down or had lanes closed, said Lynette Miller, a spokeswoman for the Maine Emergency Management Agency. Four bridges were also closed.

Forecasters predicted the St. John River would fall below flood stage on Friday morning. But residents won't be allowed to return to their homes near Main Street until the water recedes enough for engineers to inspect the levee and bridge, Michaud said.

Associated Press

woodbuck27
05-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Maine river crests after surging to record high

SLIDESHOW

Http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/01/AR2008050100228.html

oregonpackfan
05-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Badgerinmaine,

Many years ago, I spent two summers as a camp counselor at Embden Pond, Maine near North Anson. I led weekly canoe trips down the Kennebec River and an occasional one down the Carabassette River.

Did those rivers flood as well?

woodbuck27
05-05-2008, 10:48 AM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/photo/04052008/2/photo/national-resident-talks-cellular-phone-barbecues-power-boat-home-along.html

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/photos/sm/events/ca/20060108_weather/p:1

woodbuck27
05-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Badgerinmaine,

Many years ago, I spent two summers as a camp counselor at Embden Pond, Maine near North Anson. I led weekly canoe trips down the Kennebec River and an occasional one down the Carabassette River.

Did those rivers flood as well?

I don't believe that the Kennebec was really affected to the degree we saw flooding in the St. John and Fish Rivers in Maine and New Brunswick, Canada oregonpackfan. We saw flooding crest over the weekend in the Fredericton, NB area and things get back to more normal in N. Maine.

Still lots of water overflowing the The St. John River banks with more rain Sunday. There's still snow in the fields oregonpackfan. We suffered a bad winter here in Eastern Canada in southern Quebec and Northern Maine and New Brunswick. Montreal came within 20 cm's of a record snowfall that was set in 1970-71.

There will be snow in the woods even in June.

I'm going to provide some LINKS for you on the Kennebec and Carrabassett Rivers, including historical natural environmentle impacts (ice etc.) on communities along the Kennebec River.

http://me.water.usgs.gov/kenmon.html

http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=gyx&gage=skom1

Carrabassett River:

Link (http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/river.php?wfo=gyx&wfoid=18714&riverid=204441&view=1%2C1%2C1%2C0%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1&toggles=10%2C7%2C8%2C2%2C9%2C15%2C6&pt%5B%5D=144102&allpoints=144102&data%5B%5D=hydrograph&data%5B%5D=crests&submit=Make+my+River+Page%21)

woodbuck27
05-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Reuters - Tue Apr 22, 5:08 PM

This image from the U.S.-French Jason oceanographic satellite (Click on LINK ) released by NASA April 21, 2008 depicts one of the strongest La Ninas in many years as it is slowly weakening but continues to blanket the Pacific Ocean . . .

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ca/20060108_weather/im:/22042008/6/photo/photos-n-usa-space-image-jason-oceanographic-satellite-depicts-la-nina-condtions.html?sp=-1&lsp=6000

Badgerinmaine
05-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Things seem to be getting better, but the St. John Valley took a real beating. Central Maine where I am made out a lot better, though there have been years where the Kennebec has had massive flooding. How are things where you are, Woodbuck?

oregonpackfan
05-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the websites, Woodbuck! Those images brought back fond memories. :)

Iron Mike
06-09-2012, 08:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF43P-FJrFo

Joemailman
06-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Meanwhile, here my grass is turning brown.

Little Whiskey
06-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Mike, you randomly dug up a thread from 2008 and posted a triumph video? :lol:

Iron Mike
06-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Mike, you randomly dug up a thread from 2008 and posted a triumph video? :lol:

There is no method to the madness......

Little Whiskey
06-10-2012, 08:29 PM
There is no method to the madness......

you got the mailman to think it was current......or so it appears. NICE!

easy cheesy
06-10-2012, 08:38 PM
you got the mailman to think it was current......or so it appears. NICE!

HAH! Sidebar- Triumph nailed it. I guess you could say he was Triumphant in his FC assessments! God Bless Robert Smigel and God Bless America and God Bless the Queen and God Bless Dandruff Shampoo...