PDA

View Full Version : Security risk warning from JSonline

GoPackGo
06-02-2006, 11:10 PM
http://www2.jsonline.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=34077&catID=7&sessionID={6A3F8F2B-1B6E-4EFD-9A55-758BB5DA8A7D}

MadtownPacker
06-02-2006, 11:30 PM
http://www2.jsonline.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=34077&catID=7&sessionID={6A3F8F2B-1B6E-4EFD-9A55-758BB5DA8A7D}Total BS.

GBRulz
06-02-2006, 11:30 PM
hmmm, someone putting down packerrats, but of ALL sites to say it was ok, they mention packerforum.com

I would guess it's a poster from that site indeed. In fact, didn't that packerforum dude who registered say he heard about our site from JSO?

It's not exactly rocket science, but hey, thanks for the additional advertising.

swede
06-02-2006, 11:48 PM
After all your kindness to me here at Packerrats I at least owe you the warning that, having been informed of your little world wide web of deception and fraud, I have reported your ass to the Department of Homeland Security.

And I thought you were nice people.

packerforum
06-03-2006, 12:00 AM
GBMichele or anyone else...

That had nothing to do with me or my site. I came across this site today on JSO and the member that did the "sweep" is no one I recognize from my member list.

MadtownPacker
06-03-2006, 12:21 AM

That had nothing to do with me or my site. I came across this site today on JSO and the member that did the "sweep" is no one I recognize from my member list.

From jso "This forum has officially started to suck." thread:
"Thanks fläñ glad to hear packerforum.com came out clean. I own and maintain the site so if the results would have come back different than that, I would have had to question myself as to what the heck I have been doing in the wee hours of the night on there!"

You posted that on a thread in reply to the idiot that is talking bad about PackerRats then you come on here to clear your name?

Merlin
06-03-2006, 12:57 AM
As someone who develops software, I can say that the you run the same security risk on this site as you do on any other site. 100%, 1% it doesn't matter. The only secure thing on the internet is you. You have to be smart enough to limit the personal information you share online. If you share it all, it isn't the websites problem. As far as backdoor applets and script, if you don't have a hardware firewall and you don't run anti-virus (and keep it current), then you deserve what you get. It isn't like any of that is anything new. It's always nice to get free advertising though :oops:

Remember: There is ALWAYS someone smarter then you who will pray on your inocense. I live by that every day of my life...

GrnBay007
06-03-2006, 01:15 AM
The best thing for Packer Rats members to do is to NOT respond to that thread in JSO at all. To respond is to give them what they want. After everything many of the old members of JSO went through before having enough and calling it quits, we should be above what they are trying to do.

Merlin
06-03-2006, 01:20 AM
I agree with that...

RashanGary
06-03-2006, 01:48 AM
The best thing for Packer Rats members to do is to NOT respond to that thread in JSO at all. To respond is to give them what they want. After everything many of the old members of JSO went through before having enough and calling it quits, we should be above what they are trying to do.

I agree as well.....

We have almost 300 members. The closest thing to drama we have is me wanting OT threads....I'm not trying to be an elitist or anything liek that, but I could care less what anyone does over there. I think this place is going to grow fast becuase the structure is the bomb...Sure, I like an OT thread here and there, but overall, I think this place has the best of the forum policy's. some of the best peoeple too.

red
06-03-2006, 07:49 AM
OMG

it was you guys all along.........................

i thought everyone thats here were the good guys over there, and it was other that tried to ruin that site.........

but it was you guys all along.......

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (sobs)

i thought you were my IPB's (internet posting buddies), but you're not, you can't be trusted...

(more sobbing)

you guys are whats wrong with the internet

my worlds turned upside down, and is fading to black

with my last breath i would like to say, i longed for the day when we can all live as one and get along.

(death)

FIN

.......and, scene

thank you, thank you. i would think the internet daytime emmy is all but locked up for this site. of course thanks to my bone tingling performance

Patler
06-03-2006, 08:15 AM
Sure, sure, you all laugh now.....just wait. :D

In all seriousness, it intriques me that someone finds it necessary, satisfying, whatever to start a thread like that on the JSO board. If it prevents a few people from joining here, that's not good, but it certainly isn't going to kill this board. New members are good, but there are enough vets who won't be swayed about this board to keep it going, and other new ones will show up.

Anyone who visits the JSO board with any regularity at all will soon discover who can be trusted and who can not. When a poster's true colors show, some may come here simply BECAUSE certain ones on JSO tell them they should not.

WAIT! MAYBE I'M ON TO SOMETHING HERE! -- Mad, Harlan....one of YOU is posting as "flan" on JSO. Trying that old reverse psychology trick to get others interested in this site. You clever dogs, you! (at least Harlan). I have exposed you for what you really are !!!!! :mrgreen:

Scott Campbell
06-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Well somebody is posting as Flan, but I doubt it's Mad or Harlan.

JSO has pretty much been left in the dust by this site. I think it's better here now than it ever was even in it's hay day over there - and it's not even football season yet. That place is a shell of it's old self. And that only makes sense. The people that are here now are the same people that provided 95% of the content over there.

Tarlam!
06-03-2006, 11:01 AM
I came to JSO after wandering around on the CBS forum that was not specifically Packer fans, but NFL fans.

I'll never forget my amazement when I discovered JSO and the general high quality of posts there. That was April last season. 98% of the people that welcomed me on JSO are here, so I am delighted to be here as well.

But JSO then, was as this place is now, except the service here is far better!

I admit that before this was up, I registered on another site before everyone gathered at CE to regroup. I don't post there at all, but it has some F&Bs that we collectively should assess....

The thing that PR has going for it is the sheer knowledge of the posters(excluding me on football).

Anti-Polar Bear
06-03-2006, 11:27 AM
This "Flan" guy is LJ. It doesnt take a Phd in Comparative Posters to see that.

Badgepack
06-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Just want to say that this flan guy is an idiot.

Also I checked out Packerforum and think the format is way to busy and appreciate the way this site is layed out.

Thanks to all involved with Packerrats.com

Scott Campbell
06-03-2006, 01:05 PM
I admit that before this was up, I registered on another site before everyone gathered at CE to regroup. I don't post there at all, but it has some F&Bs that we collectively should assess....

I give up. What's F&Bs?

Franks and beans?

Jimx29
06-03-2006, 03:16 PM
OK, I admit it
I did it all :cool:

No wait....maybe it wasn't me http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/numbnutz/smilies/smilie_shutup.gif

Bretsky
06-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Flan is and always has been an idiot over at JS well before his latest ludicrous post. Anybody that gives that guy any credibility in the world needs some serious brain surgery.

Bretsky
06-03-2006, 07:33 PM

Good Eve Packerforum.com

I was a long time member with over 5G posts in JS; I just lurk there now since mutiple hacker attacks occured and little support form JS followed.

I will let you know that Flan is one of the poorer long time posters at JS who very few pay any attention to. And many in here lurk in JS and know of Flan and his character.

IN reading over there it certainly looks suspicious that a long time negativist who holds little credibility in that forum would praise another site like yours.

But since I'm an optomist and glass half full guy, I believe you that you are not him or have no affiliation with him.

But he's the last organism in the world you want supporting your work if you want a good following.

Cheers,
Bretsky

Bretsky
06-03-2006, 07:38 PM

Another thought; I know the leaders of this site have always been supportive of posters registering and contributing while running another website and looking for new members to join it .

Is your take the same so if myslef or somebody wanted to register under packerats.com or another name and promote this site it would be OK as well ?

B

Bretsky

packerforum
06-04-2006, 12:36 AM

Good Eve Packerforum.com

I was a long time member with over 5G posts in JS; I just lurk there now since mutiple hacker attacks occured and little support form JS followed.

I will let you know that Flan is one of the poorer long time posters at JS who very few pay any attention to. And many in here lurk in JS and know of Flan and his character.

IN reading over there it certainly looks suspicious that a long time negativist who holds little credibility in that forum would praise another site like yours.

But since I'm an optomist and glass half full guy, I believe you that you are not him or have no affiliation with him.

But he's the last organism in the world you want supporting your work if you want a good following.

Cheers,
Bretsky

Bretsky,

I appreciate the info on this Flan user from JSO. If I would have known this was the case I would have simply ignored his/her post and went along with my business. I never frequented the JSO forums (as anyone can see from my post count and join date - if that's even displayed there) so that could have been my bad in thanking him so quickly. Perhaps this Flan person is bitter about something between the founders of this site and the stuff that went down there (or from what I have read here and on the JSO site about the split) at any rate, I don't know much about that so I can only speculate.

Like I said, this Flan user is not me, trust me (yeah funny thing to say on the net, I know). Heck the first post I made on this site (which was deleted along with another thread I made about our site GM Challenge) was stating how I liked the theme and apparent work that went into this place. I have nothing bad to say about this site, looks great!

Ryan - PackerForum.com

packerforum
06-04-2006, 12:38 AM

Another thought; I know the leaders of this site have always been supportive of posters registering and contributing while running another website and looking for new members to join it .

Is your take the same so if myslef or somebody wanted to register under packerats.com or another name and promote this site it would be OK as well ?

B

Bretsky

If a user would register under "packerrats.com" or the like, and contributed to packerforum.com in a positive way, I would have no problem with that.

Heck for that matter, I would be willing to change my username on here (if that's allowed) it doesn't mean that much to me!

Bretsky
06-04-2006, 01:31 AM

B

Bretsky

If a user would register under "packerrats.com" or the like, and contributed to packerforum.com in a positive way, I would have no problem with that.

Heck for that matter, I would be willing to change my username on here (if that's allowed) it doesn't mean that much to me!

Appreciate the responses Ryan; I lurked a bit on your forum today and you have some nice topics and some of the posters are very knowledgable. It's a nice set up as well

Bretsky

Harlan Huckleby
06-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Ryan,

When somebody new joins the site, the first impression you get of them is their user name. And so when I saw your user name, I jumped to negative conclusion, "this is an aggressive guy here just to promote his website." Probably if I knew you for a while, and had a favorable impression, I wouldn't care if you started promoting PackerForum.com.

Anyway, I accept your explanation about the Flim-Flan man, and you seem OK to me, and I don't care if you promote PackerForum.com here. I think PackerRats is in a nice groove and won't have problems keeping its membership up. But that's just one opinion. Madtown is the Godfather, I'm just a hit man.

packerforum
06-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Ryan,

When somebody new joins the site, the first impression you get of them is their user name. And so when I saw your user name, I jumped to negative conclusion, "this is an aggressive guy here just to promote his website." Probably if I knew you for a while, and had a favorable impression, I wouldn't care if you started promoting PackerForum.com.

Anyway, I accept your explanation about the Flim-Flan man, and you seem OK to me, and I don't care if you promote PackerForum.com here. I think PackerRats is in a nice groove and won't have problems keeping its membership up. But that's just one opinion. Madtown is the Godfather, I'm just a hit man.

Thanks Harlan, if you have the power to, or if I need to speak to Madtown that's cool too, I will be more than happy to change my username - "Ryan" would be perfectly fine with me.

I certainly don't want to make anyone mad, I'm not out to do that! I know the drama that comes a long with running a site like this so the last thing I want to do it be "that a-hole" that causes it!

Scott Campbell
06-04-2006, 12:08 PM
It might be a nice gesture to recipricate by plugging this site over there. For most visitors it's not an "either or" decision.

Bretsky
06-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Ryan has a nice site over there; way better than what JS has turned into.

It might be prudent to change his name from packerforum.com though and he said he'd be fine with that.

Thinking along the same lines he any any site would look at, IMO we'd welcome contributions to this forum but would not want anybody in here to just promote another site, good or bad.

If he decides to hang out in here and we treat him well, he will say good things about this site and that can only benefit this site as well as his since I'm sure there are a few who read and post at both.

Just my two cents worth.

B

Badgepack
06-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey Partial, you are a stud.

Way to find that fake screen print that idiot Flan used to show are at risk we are.
I was also looking for that on Google when I saw your post.

Great work.

Partial
06-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks, he just went ahead and changed his pic to something different. I didn't look at it closely but he at the very least changed the file extensions. He probably just took a different pic, but who knows.

hurleyfan
06-07-2006, 06:54 AM
I see on JSO user "neicy" or something like that all over the last few threads(not that there are many threads to cover :wink: )

Is that another reincarnation of LJ, or Flan??

Bretsky
06-07-2006, 07:49 AM
I see on JSO user "neicy" or something like that all over the last few threads(not that there are many threads to cover :wink: )

Is that another reincarnation of LJ, or Flan??

That was flan, who posted some offensive stuff and then changed his alias to niecy.