PDA

View Full Version : VIKES BRACING FOR MCKINNIE SUSPENSION?

packers11
05-02-2008, 11:42 AM
pft.com

VIKES BRACING FOR MCKINNIE SUSPENSION?
Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2008, 12:19 p.m.
Lost in the recent Jared Allen/John David Booty horn-blowing hysteria in Minnesota is the fact that a major question mark still hovers over the franchise — the status of left tackle Bryant McKinnie following a February arrest in Miami.

We’re hearing persistent rumors that the Vikings are preparing for the possibility that they’ll begin the season without McKinnie, due to a suspension.

One month from today, McKinnie stands trial on various charges, the most serious of which is that he played tennis with a bouncer’s head as the ball, and a metal pole as the racket.

McKinnie previously pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct due to his, um, actions on the Love Boat.

It’s possible that McKinnie has been summoned to meet with the Commissioner even before his trial, for a review of the situation pursuant to the Personal Conduct Policy. However, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to provide information as to McKinnie’s case, citing normal league policy. “We do not generally comment on the timetable or other details of a specific review, including what steps the commissioner may or may not take,” Aiello recently told us via e-mail.

Although the Commissioner normally doesn’t take action under the Personal Conduct Policy until the underlying case is resolved, the policy plainly states that this approach applies only in the event of a “first offense,” and to cases that don’t involve “significant bodily harm.” We don’t know whether the bouncer suffered “significant bodily harm,” but since it clearly wasn’t McKinnie’s first offense, the policy permits the league to impose discipline based on its own investigation, with or without a prior conviction or guilty plea.

Chase Johnson is listed as McKinnie’s backup on the team’s online depth chart. They did not add any offensive linemen in the draft. (A prior version of this item indicated that they selected Carl Nicks in round five. I was looking at the wrong team at the time. Sorry about that.)

Lurker64
05-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Losing McKinnie would be a big problem for that offense, they don't have much depth at tackle and they kind of need that side of the OL to be able to move earth and people in order to set up that running attack. if they lose him for very long this could be a big problem for the Vikes.

BlueBrewer
05-02-2008, 12:00 PM
McKinnie is very over rated. They would be fine without him.

Lurker64
05-02-2008, 12:11 PM

He's overrated, but they don't really have anybody else at tackle. They have four Tackles on the roster: McKinnie, Ryan Cook (who is a converted Center and starts by default), and the Johnson boys Chase and Marcus who haven't really shown much of anything.

McKinnie is at least a starting caliber tackle in the NFL, something they otherwise lack.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2008, 12:12 PM

He is overrated. I think it would hurt them, but it wouldn't be devastating--although they don't have much backing him up.

mngolf19
05-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Honestly, they don't seem to be worried about this at all. Chilly says he believes the role McKinnie played in this event is being exaggerated and will likely show that way. And when asked how he would deal with a suspension, he said he felt fine with Chase Johnson or Hicks filling in. I guess I'm not going to worry about it then.

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Honestly, they don't seem to be worried about this at all. Chilly says he believes the role McKinnie played in this event is being exaggerated and will likely show that way. And when asked how he would deal with a suspension, he said he felt fine with Chase Johnson or Hicks filling in. I guess I'm not going to worry about it then.

Of course, Chilly is always right. There's nothing that can slow the Vikings train this year.
:D

Zool
05-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Will the offense "kick ass" this year?

Fritz
05-03-2008, 07:19 AM

No, but it sounds like if McKinnie is playing they might bust some heads...

Rastak
05-03-2008, 07:52 AM

Nope....but it should be better and it was good enough for 8-8. With their defensive moves it's an improved team.

Fritz
05-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Ras, the Vikings are once again the champions of the offseason. They win it every year.

Rastak
05-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Ras, the Vikings are once again the champions of the offseason. They win it every year.

Hey, I'll take what ever friggen wins I can get!

:D