PDA

View Full Version : Marvin harrison involved in shooting? yeas that marvin

red
05-02-2008, 03:47 PM
can't believe this. but there looks to be a lot of things going against him here

from PFT.

HARRISON INVESTIGATED IN SHOOTING
Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2008, 4:31 p.m.

Who’s the last guy in the NFL that you think would be involved in a shooting? Take a minute to write down a name. (And ignore the title to this article in doing so.)

If you wrote down “Marvin Harrison” (and more than a few of you undoubtedly did . . . especially if you weren’t able to ignore the title to this article), then you win.

The Italian leg lamp will be arriving tonight.

Harrison, per our friends (except one of them) at WIP radio in Philly, is being investigated for his role in a shooting that occurred Tuesday night outside his North Philadelphia bar.

Harrison was involved in an argument with the victim at the ironically-named “Playmakers” bar. As the victim left and was walking to his car, Harrison was following. Shots rang out, and the victim was struck in the hand. A young girl was struck by broken glass from a car that had been struck by a bullet.

Ballistic tests showed that the bullets came from a custom-made Belgian gun. Harrison owns one of the guns in question.

Questioned about it at a Philadelphia car wash that he owns, Harrison admitted that he owns such a gun, but that it has never left his home.

Later, the gun was found in a bucket at the car wash. Tests revealed that the gun was the same gun involved in the shooting, and that seven bullets were fired at the time.

Folks, Marvin is innocent until proven guilty. But unless there’s an autistic cousin (or a dog with a thumb) on whom this thing can be pinned, Harrison’s quest for Jerry Rice’s all-time records might be derailed by something other than bad knees.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

DonHutson
05-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Jerry Jones smells blood in the water... start the bidding.

Hey, Cincinnati - you want in on this too?

HarveyWallbangers
05-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Seems like a lot of conjecture to me. I think I'll wait to hear the facts on the case.

Joemailman
05-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Police are neither confirming nor denying that he is being investigated.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-0502harrison,0,2309855.story?track=rss

RashanGary
05-02-2008, 04:42 PM
I don't believe he did it.

BallHawk
05-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Set-up.

Bretsky
05-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Jack Bauer will save the day :!:

red
05-02-2008, 06:51 PM
well, pft is doing some digging and it turns out the guy might not be a squeaky clean like we all thought

seems like he also has fetish for choking out younger boys too

NOT THE FIRST PROBLEM FOR MARVIN
Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2008, 5:18 p.m.

We’ve been reminded in the wake of the news that Colts receiver Marvin Harrison is under investigation for firing seven shots outside his North Philly bar earlier this week that Harrison previously has been the target of allegations reflecting behavior far different from what his image would suggest.

Three years ago, Harrison was sued for “violently and physically attack[ing]” three boys who were seeking his autograph a day before the Pro Bowl in Hawaii.

Harrison allegedly put one of the boys in a choke hold.

There were never any further reports about the lawsuit, which suggests to us that it was quietly settled for a confidential payment.

YET ANOTHER HARRISON INCIDENT
Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2008, 5:41 p.m.

Maybe we haven’t been paying close enough attention to Marvin Harrison over the years.

Because this week’s shooting potentially involving Harrison wasn’t his first incident. Or his second.

It’s his third.

Granted, the five-year-old incident involving Harrison is a far cry from a shooting. But it’s further evidence that maybe Marvin isn’t the great guy that we’ve been led to believe he is.

In 2003, Harrison allegedly knocked a Jets’ ball boy to the ground because Jets punter Matt Turk was kicking balls in the direction of Harrison and quarterback Peyton Manning prior to a game.

Jets radio analyst Marty Lyons reported at the time that Harrison also put his hands on the boy’s neck before the two were separated.

The Jets confirmed that there was an incident, and the league said it was aware of it. But that was the end of it.

KYPack
05-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Most reports now are stating that Harrison was not involved in this incident in any way.

red
05-02-2008, 09:50 PM
you mean the reports where harrisons agent says that marvin didn't do it?

:roll:

he really must not have done it then

red
05-03-2008, 12:19 PM
more comes out today

it seems odd the 5 of the 6 shells found at the scene came from harrisons gun, the same gun that marvin handed to the police the next day

MORE DETAILS ON HARRISON INCIDENT
Posted by Mike Florio on May 3, 2008, 10:25 a.m.

The Philadelphia Daily News has a lengthy (and excellent) story about the shooting outside the aptly-named “Playmakers” bar in North Philadelphia, which is owned by Colts receiver (and Philly native) Marvin Harrison.

Here are some things we didn’t previously know (or previously hadn’t noticed):

The victim of the shooting had been in a fistfight with Harrison moments before the shooting. The victim had been kicked out of the bar two weeks earlier, and had bickered with Harrison ever since.

The victim initially concealed the fact that he’d been shot. He later admitted it, but declined to identify the shooter.

As to those reports of the Belgian gun being found in a bucket, the Daily News writes that Harrison handed the gun over.

Harrison spent four hours being interviewed at the police station, with his attorney present. Harrison acknowledged being involved in a fight with the victim, but denied any involvement in the shooting.

Detectives are searching for another man who called and claimed that he’d been shot by Harrison.

Five of the six shell casings found at the scene came from Harrison’s gun.

Though police have taken great pains to explain that there currently is no suspect, the Daily News makes clear that Harrison is a target of the investigation.

And why wouldn’t he be? It was his gun that had been fired, and the gun was in his possession the next day. Unless Harrison is in a position to implicate someone else (or if there’s someone else who’ll take the fall), it’s all pointing to him at this point.

the_idle_threat
05-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Harrison didn't do it.

The same guy who killed O.J.'s ex-wife has never been found. I think that's our man.

It's O.J.'s fault, because he said he'd find the guy, but he really hasn't spent much time following up on that promise. Now the guy almost kills somebody else.

digitaldean
05-03-2008, 12:58 PM
The other 2 accounts listed on PFT have severely changed my opinion on MH.

I thought he was a squeaky clean dude. Boy was I wrong.

MadtownPacker
05-03-2008, 02:12 PM
I wonder if Peyton will go off on him like he did he OL? :lol:

Real surprised that harrison is turning out to be a piece of trash. I know these guys have to have secrets but damn, choking some kids that arent your own??

MJZiggy
05-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Is choking your own ok?

]{ilr]3
05-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Is choking your own ok?

What? You mean that its not?
Uh oh......
http://images.tfaw.com/coverst/sm/s/simpsonschoket.jpg

BallHawk
05-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Is choking your own ok?

Nice double entendre, Zig.

Rastak
05-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Seems like a lot of conjecture to me. I think I'll wait to hear the facts on the case.

Lots of conjecture.

1) Guy fights with Harrison.
2) Guy is shot minutes later.
3) Gun found on Harrison's property and ballistics show that gun was used.

Yea, that's a huge leap..... :wink:

MJZiggy
05-03-2008, 06:42 PM
I thought they matched the bullets at the crime scene to his gun?

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2008, 06:47 PM

Lots of conjecture.

1) Guy fights with Harrison.
2) Guy is shot minutes later.
3) Gun found on Harrison's property and ballistics show that gun was used.

Yea, that's a huge leap..... :wink:

Let's see. The original report said nothing about the gun being Harrison's gun or that it was found on Harrison's property.

This is what it said:

Ballistic tests showed that the bullets came from a custom-made Belgian gun. Harrison owns one of the guns in question.

This is a lot different then saying it was Harrison's gun and it was found on his property.

Rastak
05-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Not sure who said what when but.....

Police then went to a Philadelphia car wash owned by Harrison to question him about the gun. Harrison admitted owning such a weapon but claimed it never left his suburban Philadelphia home.

However, WIP's source said the gun was discovered in a bucket at the car wash, and tests showed that it had fired seven bullets that matched those found at the scene.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3378829

MadtownPacker
05-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Why you defending this guy for Harvey?? He aint darren sharper. Even if he wasnt the one he was likely rolling with the person who did it. Did you read the reports above?? He aint the guy I thought he was I can tell you that. I viewed him as the anti TO. Something aint right no matter what happened with the shooting. Just seems like he likes going off on what is bothering him.

Rastak
05-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Why you defending this guy for Harvey?? He aint darren sharper. Even if he wasnt the one he was likely rolling with the person who did it. Did you read the reports above?? He aint the guy I thought he was I can tell you that. I viewed him as the anti TO. Something aint right no matter what happened with the shooting. Just seems like he likes going off on what is bothering him.

Yea, he sure does. I can't believe some dude with that much coin would be shooting at someone after a fight. WTF. You got so much to lose and what to gain?

Society is pretty much screwed up now. Used to be a man settled his differences with his fists when words didn't cut it. Now, you fire a gun like a chicken shit.

Fucking cowards.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm not defending him. I haven't had time to read details. The original report wasn't conclusive at all. That's all I was saying.

The Leaper
05-03-2008, 10:40 PM

This is a lot different then saying it was Harrison's gun and it was found on his property.

Well, what the report basically is saying is that tests showed the gun used came from a VERY RARE GUN...which also just happens to be owned by the guy who owns the bar and was in the argument with the victim.

I dunno...you do the math. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the chances Marvin's gun is the same one that was used are about 99.5%.

While not entire conclusive, it is pretty close to being conclusive...at least in terms of the weapon in question. Of course, who actually fired the weapon is certainly in question.

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2008, 10:53 PM

Well, what the report basically is saying is that tests showed the gun used came from a VERY RARE GUN...

The report above doesn't say a "VERY RARE GUN". It says it's from a "custom-made Belgian gun". That may rare or not. There are Belgian gun manufacturers. As far as the media is concerned, any gun made by that manufacturer could be custom-made as far as they know.

I haven't read one story about the case. Maybe I've become immune to these cases, but I'm going to wait until the facts are all out and a decision has been made in the case.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-03-2008, 11:12 PM

Well, what the report basically is saying is that tests showed the gun used came from a VERY RARE GUN...which also just happens to be owned by the guy who owns the bar and was in the argument with the victim.

I dunno...you do the math. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the chances Marvin's gun is the same one that was used are about 99.5%.

While not entire conclusive, it is pretty close to being conclusive...at least in terms of the weapon in question. Of course, who actually fired the weapon is certainly in question.

While i am pretty much a "don't jump to conclusions" kinda guy...witness my stance on Sean Taylor...i gotta say this is a huge "coincidence."

A rare gun...how many guys you think have that exact model? I'm not sayin harrison did it, but i'm guessing he is pretty involved. Maybe his posse.

red
05-04-2008, 12:22 AM
well, to my knowledge. when they do a ballistics test on the bullets and the used casing, they match it to an exact gun, not just a type or model of gun.

every single gun has a different ballastic patern like a finger print

the fired sheel matched to harrisons gun, not just a gun like harrisons

at least thats what i understand

we need a gun expert. where the hell is tex, he's gotta own thousands of guns

the_idle_threat
05-04-2008, 01:24 AM
If they were just matching to the type of gun, rather than Harison's specific gun, they'd only need to look at the shell casings (this is not true in all cases, but see below). Ballistics tests are more specific---they purport to name the specific gun that fired the shots, just like red described above.

In this case, the gun has been identified in this article:

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/top_story/20080503_NFL_star_s_gun_linked_to_N__Philly_shooti ng.html

as an FN 5.7.

I've been around a lot of guns, but I've not heard of this gun before. Did a little research, and found that it's commercially available. It fires a proprietary round---5.7x28mm---so this is not the kind of situation where it was plain ol' 9mm or .22 that could have been fired from all kinds of makes and models.

Pretty stupid to commit a crime using a rare gun that fires proprietary rounds---the evidence against Harrison is pretty damning.

At this point, he's on the hook unless someone else pulled the trigger on his rare gun.

woodbuck27
05-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Whatever. :D

Guiness
05-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Gotta say this whole thing surprises me as well - he appears to have kept his nose clean for his reasonably long career, but maybe there are some skeletons in the closet? Either he's the victim of what happens to presidential candidates, i.e. dig enough, and everybody's done something or until now he's just been good at hiding stuff, and now the cover has been blown off.

As far as ballistics, I think that threatening guy covered most of it, but here's my spiel.

Once they recovered the bullet and found it to be the reasonably rare round that it was (commercially available, a single manufacturer, not popular in NA), it was something they could use to find the perpetrator.

Once they found out the owner of the bar owned such a firearm, they certainly had reasonable suspicious to request it for testing...which it turn showed it was the firearm used.

red
05-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Gotta say this whole thing surprises me as well - he appears to have kept his nose clean for his reasonably long career, but maybe there are some skeletons in the closet? Either he's the victim of what happens to presidential candidates, i.e. dig enough, and everybody's done something or until now he's just been good at hiding stuff, and now the cover has been blown off.

As far as ballistics, I think that threatening guy covered most of it, but here's my spiel.

Once they recovered the bullet and found it to be the reasonably rare round that it was (commercially available, a single manufacturer, not popular in NA), it was something they could use to find the perpetrator.

Once they found out the owner of the bar owned such a firearm, they certainly had reasonable suspicious to request it for testing...which it turn showed it was the firearm used.

that and the fact that the guy got into an argument with harrison moment before in the bar, an harrison was follwing behind the guy down the street after the guy left the bar

the, then bang bang bang

GrnBay007
05-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Here's an interesting article about "the gun"

Regardless of outcome, Harrison has already misfired
By Mike Freeman, CBS sports

Marvin Harrison allegedly owns a Belgian Fabrique Nationale 5.7 firearm. Previously when I thought Belgian, I thought waffles. No longer. They apparently make both delicious pastries and potent little weapons.

"In November (2005) the Homeland Security Department issued an 'Officer Safety Alert' regarding the (BFN 5.7) with the headline 'body armor defeating handgun,'" reported the Associated Press. "The alert said the Trumbull, Conn., police department had seized such a pistol and noted that its bullets were 'advertised as being able to penetrate 48 layers of Kevlar at 50 meters.'"

Why exactly would a civilian need such a weapon?

To take down Ironman?

From the website enemyforces.com: "The "Five-seveN" Self-loading Pistol is a new generation and conception weapon. Technically it is classified as an ordinary submachine gun but tactically it is a Personal Defense Weapon. To remind: the PD Weapons are mainly used by drivers, staff personnel, artillery crew, and other second line soldiers ..."

Artillery crew? Apparently Harrison was preparing to do battle with a Romulan warbird.

And: "Cartridge recoil power is threefold lower than the standard NATO 5.56 x 45 mm (.223 Rem) cartridges."

It's not often you're going to see the words "NATO" and "Marvin Harrison" in the same sentence.

"It doesn't take much imagination to see this cartridge changing the direction of law enforcement weaponry in the new millennium," wrote American Handgunner about the BFN. "The Five-seveN might well serve as standard issue for officers in a crowded urban setting and the P-90 could be used by special teams and thus retain commonality of ammunition."

And by "special teams" I'm assuming they don't mean punt return coverage.

Does it bother anyone that an NFL player allegedly owns a gun in which its main attraction to potential buyers is the fact its ammunition can penetrate body armor? Body armor most times worn by police?

Don't get your guntotin' panties in a bunch. It's just a question.

And please stop waving the Second Amendment in my face like it's a ticket to a Springsteen concert. Nobody's trying to take your gat away.

You call me an anti-gun media weenie. I see that and raise you Columbine (13 dead, 23 wounded), the University of Texas massacre (14 dead, 31 wounded), Virginia Tech (32 dead), Northern Illinois (five dead, 18 wounded), the Red Lake High School massacre (seven dead) and the Jonesboro school massacre (five dead, nine wounded).

Just to name a few school shootings of innocent women and kids.

But I digress.

This has nothing to do with the Second Amendment or someone trying to pry the gun from your cold, dead hands. So cease with the phony, false choices.

Keep your firearms. I target shoot. I'm ex-Army (basic training at Ft. Sill in Oklahoma where I was the worst shooter of an M-16 probably in that base's history).

This is more about athletes, guns and their continued mistaken impression that owning one automatically means you're better protected.

No charges have been filed against Harrison and it's wholly possible the Indianapolis wide receiver had nothing to do with a shooting outside of his bar, Playmakers, located in Harrison's hometown of Philadelphia.

The fact Harrison owns that weapon and possibly many others prove what NFL players have told me in the past. Several have estimated that 70-80 percent of all NFL players own some sort of firearm and many of those carry guns on them for protection.

There may be numerous unknown incidents where owning a handgun saved an athlete's life. It just seems guns get players in more trouble than get them out of it.

That message continually seems to be missed by today's players.

Athletes admittedly have a difficult line to walk. They are targets of beer goggled, pot-bellied wanna-be's and genuine first-class thugs and hyenas.

Yet packing high-powered weaponry might not be the best way to protect yourself. Tempers and ego can drastically affect judgment, leading to the very situation an athlete is trying to avoid.

Even highly trained police officers, on rare occasions, have difficulty maintaining their cool in the heat of the moment. See: Diallo, Amadou, New York.

Harrison may have purchased his weapon strictly as a collection gem or as some form of protection. He owns, according to media reports, some several dozen guns. Thus making him Dirty Harry Harrison.

Harrison might not have fired a single shot in this incident but he's learning even non-discharged guns can still get a professional athlete into plenty of trouble.

red
05-06-2008, 08:52 AM
and today this tory takes an odd twist

WILD CLAIMS IN HARRISON CASE
Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2008, 7:01 a.m.

We were alerted last night to some eye-popping claims regarding the Marvin Harrison case made by Philly sports anchor Keith Russell during a Monday afternoon radio spot in Miami. And so we tracked down the audio, and we have given it a listen.

Appearing with Jason Jackson on WQAM, Russell said that his sources tell him that the guy who was allegedly shot in the hand after leaving Harrison’s bar last Tuesday had come to the establishment to carry out a gangland-style “hit.”

A “hit” on Harrison.

Seriously.

Russell said during the segment that the issue relates to Harrison’s father, who is (per Russell) incarcerated, and that the supposed “hit” was in retaliation for something Harrison’s father supposedly had done.

Media sources in Philadelphia tell us that the contention, which Russell apparently hasn’t made on the air in his home market, is simply not true.

Russell also said that there are “people who are willing to do whatever is necessary” to keep Harrison from facing charges.

GrnBay007
05-06-2008, 08:56 AM
LOL....gangs, hits being ordered, prison retaliation. The whole truth will never be known on this deal whether they make an arrest or not.

the_idle_threat
05-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Here come the gun banners, getting some face time after the latest headline.

Marvin Harrison allegedly owns a Belgian Fabrique Nationale 5.7 firearm. Previously when I thought Belgian, I thought waffles. No longer. They apparently make both delicious pastries and potent little weapons.

"In November (2005) the Homeland Security Department issued an 'Officer Safety Alert' regarding the (BFN 5.7) with the headline 'body armor defeating handgun,'" reported the Associated Press. "The alert said the Trumbull, Conn., police department had seized such a pistol and noted that its bullets were 'advertised as being able to penetrate 48 layers of Kevlar at 50 meters.'"

Why exactly would a civilian need such a weapon?

To take down Ironman?

From the website enemyforces.com: "The "Five-seveN" Self-loading Pistol is a new generation and conception weapon. Technically it is classified as an ordinary submachine gun but tactically it is a Personal Defense Weapon. To remind: the PD Weapons are mainly used by drivers, staff personnel, artillery crew, and other second line soldiers ..."

Artillery crew? Apparently Harrison was preparing to do battle with a Romulan warbird.

And: "Cartridge recoil power is threefold lower than the standard NATO 5.56 x 45 mm (.223 Rem) cartridges."

It's not often you're going to see the words "NATO" and "Marvin Harrison" in the same sentence.

"It doesn't take much imagination to see this cartridge changing the direction of law enforcement weaponry in the new millennium," wrote American Handgunner about the BFN. "The Five-seveN might well serve as standard issue for officers in a crowded urban setting and the P-90 could be used by special teams and thus retain commonality of ammunition."

And by "special teams" I'm assuming they don't mean punt return coverage.

Does it bother anyone that an NFL player allegedly owns a gun in which its main attraction to potential buyers is the fact its ammunition can penetrate body armor? Body armor most times worn by police?

Don't get your guntotin' panties in a bunch. It's just a question.

Mr. Freeman, you're apparently lost in hysteria over this particular gun, and you've obviously missed the fact that the BATFE has declared this gun to NOT be armor-piercing. See here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/fabriquen.htm

It's only certain ammunition for this gun that can be armor piercing---not the gun itself---and although the gun is capable of firing ammo that is armor piercing, that ammo cannot legally be sold in the U.S. According to the BATFE link above: "commercial sales of 5.7 X 28mm ammunition are restricted to the SS196" type, which is "not armor piercing ammunition." So the cops and the military might have the armor piercing stuff, but everyday people are not running around with it.

Of course, many commercially available guns are capable of firing armor-piercing ammo, including most hunting rifles. I wonder if Mr. Freeman is aware of that?

And please stop waving the Second Amendment in my face like it's a ticket to a Springsteen concert. Nobody's trying to take your gat away.

You call me an anti-gun media weenie. I see that and raise you Columbine (13 dead, 23 wounded), the University of Texas massacre (14 dead, 31 wounded), Virginia Tech (32 dead), Northern Illinois (five dead, 18 wounded), the Red Lake High School massacre (seven dead) and the Jonesboro school massacre (five dead, nine wounded).

Just to name a few school shootings of innocent women and kids.

Nothing like throwing in lurid references to school shootings, despite the fact that none of them are related to this story in any way. None involved this type of firearm and none of them involved a person wearing body armor. So if it's the "armor piercing" label that wigs you out so much, school shootings have nothing to do with it.

But I digress.

You certainly do.

This has nothing to do with the Second Amendment or someone trying to pry the gun from your cold, dead hands. So cease with the phony, false choices.

Please cease with the phony, false strawman arguments.

Keep your firearms. I target shoot. I'm ex-Army (basic training at Ft. Sill in Oklahoma where I was the worst shooter of an M-16 probably in that base's history).

You just said you can't hit the broad side of the barn with a rifle, and you want people to believe you target shoot?

This guy saying he "target shoots" reminds me of racists who say they have black friends.

This is more about athletes, guns and their continued mistaken impression that owning one automatically means you're better protected.

Mistaken impression says who? Says the guy who admittedly can't hit the broad side of a barn?

And to be accurate, this story is about a media guy with a pulpit and an anti-gun bias.

No charges have been filed against Harrison and it's wholly possible the Indianapolis wide receiver had nothing to do with a shooting outside of his bar, Playmakers, located in Harrison's hometown of Philadelphia.

The fact Harrison owns that weapon and possibly many others prove what NFL players have told me in the past. Several have estimated that 70-80 percent of all NFL players own some sort of firearm and many of those carry guns on them for protection.

There may be numerous unknown incidents where owning a handgun saved an athlete's life. It just seems guns get players in more trouble than get them out of it.

Speculate much? Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

How could it "seem" that guns get athletes get in more trouble than guns get them out of if you admit you have no idea how often guns might have gotten an athlete out of a jam?

That message continually seems to be missed by today's players.

Maybe because they learn how to tune out bullshit.

Athletes admittedly have a difficult line to walk. They are targets of beer goggled, pot-bellied wanna-be's and genuine first-class thugs and hyenas.

You admit this, and yet you say they are clearly wrong to want to go armed? It's so easy to say they should go unarmed when it's them, not you.

Yet packing high-powered weaponry might not be the best way to protect yourself. Tempers and ego can drastically affect judgment, leading to the very situation an athlete is trying to avoid.

More speculation. I can specualte too. High-powered weaponry might be the very best way to protect one's self if you're a public target. It's certainly true that many, many famous people are protected by "high-powered weaponry," whether they themselves are carrying or they have "people" for that. (See bodyguards or *ahem* Secret Service).

Even highly trained police officers, on rare occasions, have difficulty maintaining their cool in the heat of the moment. See: Diallo, Amadou, New York.

Let's drop another name of an unrelated high-profile case where things went to the worst-case scenario.

It seems this type of thing should happen all the time if "70-80 percent of all NFL players" own firearms and many carry them for protection, as is stated above. Of course, the reality is that it doesn't happen.

Harrison may have purchased his weapon strictly as a collection gem or as some form of protection. He owns, according to media reports, some several dozen guns. Thus making him Dirty Harry Harrison.

Harrison might not have fired a single shot in this incident but he's learning even non-discharged guns can still get a professional athlete into plenty of trouble.

Plenty of trouble with media guys who have a pulpit and an anti-gun bias. It remains to be seen what happens in the actual case. And for the record, the actual case exists because the gun was discharged. If Harrison committed a crime, he should be charged for it. But owning this gun was not the problem.

If Harrison was truly a target of some thug---whether the guy was there to perform a "hit" or the guy just had a grudge from being thrown out of Harrison's bar a couple weeks before (as is supported by articles I've read)---Harrison might very well be dead right now if he didn't have this gun.

I guess this writer would call that a better outcome.

Guiness
05-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Here's an interesting article about "the gun"

[snip...]

Ah, standard liberal media stuff - he makes some points, but tosses around the political footballs like Columbine, et al. In Canada, every time we have gun play, the 14 women who got shot at Ecole Polytechnique gets trotted out. Both terrible events, to be sure, but also both single, isolated events.

The truth is that the gun isn't some doomsday device. It's of the type prefered for military use. High velocity, flat shooting, armour penetrating. Downside is that it also has a small bullet that doesn't rip big holes. For street combat type shootings (i.e. 20' from your target) a .45 or .357 is much more effective at causing them bleed out in a matter of minutes.

edit: once again, idle is quite right...the gun isn't armour piercing, unless loaded with the proper (steel jacketed, likely) ammunition. Although, even if that style of ammunition isn't 'commercially' available, it's not big deal to reload and make it yourself.

The Leaper
05-06-2008, 03:28 PM
22,000 people died from a cyclone.

Can we ban cyclones?

GrnBay007
05-06-2008, 05:10 PM
LOL didn't take long to get the gun supporters fired up! :lol: :lol:

take a couple deep breaths guys, it was just an article. :wink:

Guiness
05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Meh - I'm not a gun supporter, actually. I just know balderdash when I see it :D

I don't like people crying "WOLF!!!!" when there's a Labrador puppy walking down the street. :roll:

BlueBrewer
05-07-2008, 01:10 AM
saying guns kill people is like saying pencils mis-spell words

I heard this somewhere, and I liked it.

the_idle_threat
05-07-2008, 08:57 AM
LOL didn't take long to get the gun supporters fired up! :lol: :lol:

take a couple deep breaths guys, it was just an article. :wink:

Who's fired up? We're just responding to the article.

red
05-08-2008, 08:48 PM
looks like there might be a lot more to marvin harrison that we didn't know about

but might soon be finding out

http://deadspin.com/388589/has-marvin-harrisons-shady-past-and-present-finally-caught-up-to-him

Scott Campbell
05-08-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm thinking that it's looking pretty unlikely that he ever suits up again.

the_idle_threat
05-09-2008, 02:46 AM
I'm thinking that it's looking pretty unlikely that he ever suits up again.

Way too soon to tell, IMO.

They say that 6 of the 7 shell casings matched his gun. What about the seventh one? If that casing came from a different weapon, then who's to say Marvin wasn't shooting in self-defense?

There are still some facts that need to come out.