05-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Ridiculously early, I know. Trying to get a sense of where the battles will be

QB (3) Rodger, Brohm, Flynn
TT and MM are never afraid to go with youth

RB (3) Grant, Jackson, Wynn

FB (2) Hall, Kuhn
Watch for Corey White though, either at RB or FB

TE (3) Lee, Humphrey, Finley

OL (9) Wells, Colledge, Clifton, Spitz, Tauscher, Sitton, Giacomini, Barbre, Moll
Coston loses out to the rookies

WR (6) Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Martin, Swain

DL (9) Pickett, Jolly, Harrell, Muir, Jenkins, Kampman, KGB, Thompson, Cole

LB (6) Barnett, Hawk, Poppinga, Chillar, Bishop, White
Could go with 5 here if someone is as good as White on ST

CB (5) Harris, Woodson, Lee, Blackmon, Williams

S (4) Bigby, Collins, Rouse, Peprah

ST (3) Crosby, Ryan, Long Snapper

RashanGary
05-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Solid early guess. You know there will be a few suprises, but that was a good stab.

RashanGary
05-04-2008, 10:40 AM
CB and LT still seems like a problem area. We're about to lose three important players. We're getting really good players at other positions, but we're going to need at least solid guys at CB and LT if we don't want to get killed.

Right now, I think there is a good chance we have a RT on the roster. I think there is a good chance we have one quality CB (between Lee, Blackmon and Williams) that will be ready by next season.

They do have one more off season to get something developed or have the draft fall the right way. Other than that, the roster looks pretty deep and strong.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2008, 10:49 AM
I see you have Swain making the final roster, and Peprah, and the cut of Bush at CB.

Interesting. Should be some great camp battles.

vince
05-04-2008, 11:03 AM
I think Bush makes the team because of his special teams ability ... Swain to the practice squad. Robinson is probably history due to health and needs.

Battles on the d-line. Cole/Muir (probably Cole) could be odd man out vs. Montgomery/Hunter as a result of special teams needs.

Wynn needs to show he can stay healthy throughout camp to make the squad...

Brohm
05-04-2008, 12:40 PM
White looked good running the ball last pre-season, he's a possiblity as a combo RB/FB.

Coston is in a contract year so he has to step up and be consistant. I would guess he gets cut in favor of a pure RT candidate (Moll/Giacomini) otherwise. If Moll is healthy....

Bush is good on ST and still has potential. This may be a year where we keep extra DBs.

White is a ST demon as well but offers little to the defense. However, he is the only WLB backup we have unless a UFA steps up.

I think Muir and Cole both stick and the DL cut will be a DE.

Receiver is up in the air, not sure where TT will go. Is Martin topped out? Is K-Rob healthy?

Will be an exciting TC for sure.

red
05-04-2008, 01:52 PM
i would hope we carry more then 3 rb's

Joemailman
05-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Last year I believe TT kept 4 (Jackson, Grant, Wynn, Morency), but that was probably because Morency was hurt. You seldom if ever have more than 1 on the field at the same time, so 4 seems like a lot to me if the top 3 are healthy.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2008, 04:22 PM
The Packers have generally carried 3, but they carried 4 last year because they had Morency getting over and an injury and Grant was new to the team.

Joemailman
05-04-2008, 04:35 PM
I think Bush makes the team because of his special teams ability ... Swain to the practice squad. Robinson is probably history due to health and needs.

Battles on the d-line. Cole/Muir (probably Cole) could be odd man out vs. Montgomery/Hunter as a result of special teams needs.

Wynn needs to show he can stay healthy throughout camp to make the squad...

When I think of Bush's special teams ability, I get flashbacks of him not falling on that fumble against the Giants last January. Bush seems to me to be one of those guys who teases you with flashes of ability, but never seems to make the needed play when it counts the most.

Agree on Wynn. I think Montgomery is toast. Hunter may have a chance.

DonHutson
05-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I agree on almost everything.

The big difference: I'd keep Jason Hunter who played very well on special teams as a 10th DL and I'd keep only 5 WR's. Swain would be my guess to go at this point, sight unseen but who knows? If they do go with 9 DL, I'd keep Hunter over Muir.

I think Morencey has an edge over Wynn, but I don't like either one of them. I think you're right about Corey White. He could be the #3 RB.

I seem to recall the team being pretty high on Ryan Powdrell at FB before he got hurt. I wouldn't put him over Hall and Kuhn yet, but he could be right in the mix.

I think Moll is done. I'd keep Coston over him.

Joemailman
05-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I didn't realize Powdrell was still on the roster. He could definitely push Kuhn. The one advantage Moll has over Coston is that he can play Tackle and Guard. Of course the Packers may feel they already have enough guys who can play both positions (Barbre, Colledge, Sitton).

Badgerinmaine
05-04-2008, 07:45 PM
I think that's an excellent first stab. I have a feeling someone is going to give Ryan a run for his money at punter, and Flynn could still lose out to a veteran QB--but I think your guess is as good as anyone's right now.

Bretsky
05-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I won't mind it if Orange Juice Coston is gone
It would not surprise me if the UW Punter shows more consistency than Ryan

He forgot about da Beaver :lol:

Joemailman
05-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Punters are often not ready for the NFL right out of college. That's why I went with Ryan. Haven't forgotten about Beav. Just waiting to see more.

CaliforniaCheez
05-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I just would like to thank the Packers for making this one of the most boring off seasons. The Packers are a 13-3 team. Most teams would want to be where they are.

No need for free agents. Draft choices are going to have to struggle to become roster depth.

But during the offseason the focus is on improvement. As fans we get to nit pick.

There are a few issues on the team that are unsettled.

a) Long snapper somewhere on the squad or in free agency an adequate one must on the team

b) Blocking TE. Since few TE's block anymore one of the OT's will have to perform this role.

c) Third string Center. If Wells or Spitz can't go, who steps into the mix?

There is more to nit pick but it all breaks down to which players will earn a spot on the roster. The competition is genuine.

Little will happen in the next 98 days. After the preseaon games there will be something to talk about.

Guiness
05-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I didn't realize Powdrell was still on the roster. He could definitely push Kuhn. The one advantage Moll has over Coston is that he can play Tackle and Guard. Of course the Packers may feel they already have enough guys who can play both positions (Barbre, Colledge, Sitton).

I hope this isn't the case. I would much rather see a pure guard than a combination player...although I'm not sure we have one of those on the roster, other than Spitz.

Same as I'm glad we tired of the experiment of converted CB's at safety, I hope we stop trying to convert tackles to play guard.

texaspackerbacker
05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
The original version comes pretty close.

I'd say Robinson over Swain until proven otherwise--hiding Swain on the practice squad would be nice.

I'd prefer Montgomery over Muir--he has been decent the little we have seen of him being healthy--and Coston over Moll, although I'd almost bet that somebody gets injured and we keep them both.

DeBauche over Ryan is a strong possibility.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Humphrey is cut and only two TEs kept.

And I kinda like the idea of Bush over Peprah, with one or more of the Corners cross-trained at Safety.

I'd still like some position player to be trained by Rob Davis as Long Snapper, but I'm resigned to the fact that it probably won't happen.

CaliforniaCheez
05-06-2008, 06:03 AM
When predicting the roster I always start with the traditional boiler plate model and work from it.

QB 3, RB 3, FB 2, WR 6, TE 3, OT 4, OG 3, C 2, for 26 on Offense

DT 5, DE 4, LB 6, CB 5, S 4, for 24 total on Defense

PK, P, LS

Now here is my first stab at it.

Offense (26)

QB (3)

Rodgers
Brohm
Flynn

RB (3)

Grant
Jackson
White

FB (2)

Hall
Kuhn

WR (6)

Driver
Jennings
Jones
Nelson
Martin
Bodiford (bubble)

TE (3)

Lee
Humphrey
Finley

OT (4)

Tauscher
Clifton
Moll
Giacomini

OG (3)

Colledge
Barbre
Sitton or Coston(Bubble spot)

Center (2)
Wells
Spitz*

Deffense (24)

DT (5)

Pickett
Harrell
Jolly
Cole
Jenkins*

DE (4)
Kampmann
KGB
Thompson
Montgomery

LB (6)

Barnett
Hawk
Poppinga
Chiller
Bishop
Hodge (bubble)

CB (5)

Harris
Woodson
Williams
Lee
Blackmon

S (4)

Collins
Rouse
Bigby
Peprah

PK, P, LS

You can see how I manipulated the template (*). There can be many variables but right now you can see my prejudices. Going one shorter at LB, WR, TE could allow one more on the O-line or elsewhere.

The template forces you to make the choices. I think they might go 10 on the O-line. There is always somone in the final cuts I don't like.

wist43
05-06-2008, 08:13 AM
CB and LT still seems like a problem area. We're about to lose three important players. We're getting really good players at other positions, but we're going to need at least solid guys at CB and LT if we don't want to get killed.

Right now, I think there is a good chance we have a RT on the roster. I think there is a good chance we have one quality CB (between Lee, Blackmon and Williams) that will be ready by next season.

They do have one more off season to get something developed or have the draft fall the right way. Other than that, the roster looks pretty deep and strong.

At CB, that's a lot of faith to place in development... I see CB as a definite need. Blackmon hasn't stayed on the field, Williams has some ability but he had the farthest to come, and Lee is anybody's guess - he only started one year in college.

If either Woodson or Harris goes down, the defense as a whole could suffer greatly... hopefully Lee will turn out.

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2008, 09:26 AM
LB (6)

Barnett
Hawk
Poppinga
Chiller
Bishop
Hodge (bubble)

I think there's a really good chance that White makes the team again because of his special teams play. I think Bishop and Hodge are fighting for the last LB spot--unless both guys can show they can play STs and LB. That would make White expendable.

Bossman641
05-06-2008, 09:52 AM
LB (6)

Barnett
Hawk
Poppinga
Chiller
Bishop
Hodge (bubble)

I think there's a really good chance that White makes the team again because of his special teams play. I think Bishop and Hodge are fighting for the last LB spot--unless both guys can show they can play STs and LB. That would make White expendable.

I agree. They seem to be extremely high on White. I'd say Barnett, Hawk, Chillar, Poppinga, Bishop, and White. Hodge is as good as gone IMO.

KYPack
05-06-2008, 11:26 AM
LB (6)

Barnett
Hawk
Poppinga
Chiller
Bishop
Hodge (bubble)

I agree. They seem to be extremely high on White. I'd say Barnett, Hawk, Chillar, Poppinga, Bishop, and White. Hodge is as good as gone IMO.

You wouldn't think Hodge would have learned how to cover while re-habbing two bad knees. Too bad, he was a good kid, but it doesn't look like it worked out.

Lurker64
05-06-2008, 12:49 PM
I'd say White is guaranteed to make the team because he's not only "good on special teams", he's our best player on kick coverage. Hodge and Bishop are competing for one roster spot, Hodge might not have learned to cover while rehabbing but I was never too taken by Bishop's ability to cover, we just never saw him exposed because Barnett played essentially the entire year last year.

There's no point in saying "he's gone" or "he's not", training camp is going to decide this one. Hard to say you cut a guy based on lack of production through two injured years provided he's healthy now.

texaspackerbacker
05-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Probably true, and I'd bet on Bishop over Hodge in that case.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chillar go, though. If his money isn't guaranteed, and he proves to be not good enough to beat out Popinga, I'm pretty sure he's the one with the highest salary between Popinga, White, Hodge, Bishop, and himself, and you know Thompson's cheapness.

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2008, 04:42 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chillar go, though. If his money isn't guaranteed, and he proves to be not good enough to beat out Popinga, I'm pretty sure he's the one with the highest salary between Popinga, White, Hodge, Bishop, and himself, and you know Thompson's cheapness.

I don't think that will matter. He has the ability to backup at all three spots. Hodge and Bishop are probably MLBs only. Pretty sure Chillar will be on the team, at worst, as the primary backup at all three LB positions.

sharpe1027
05-06-2008, 04:57 PM

I don't think that money will be much of a factor and they'll just keep the best players. What benefit do they get for being even more below the cap? Thompson is "cheap" only in that he doesn't sign five free agents every year like the Redskins. He has paid well for some FAs and also for players already on the team by renewing their contracts when appropriate.

I guess we'll see, but it is good to have some competition.

Joemailman
05-06-2008, 05:06 PM

I don't think that will matter. He has the ability to backup at all three spots. Hodge and Bishop are probably MLBs only. Pretty sure Chillar will be on the team, at worst, as the primary backup at all three LB positions.

He will probably get better as the season wears on. We may not see Chillar at his best until the weather turns cold. :rs:

motife
05-06-2008, 09:52 PM
1 Scott Wells C L
2 Korey Hall FB L
3 Josh Sitton G L
4 Daryn Colledge G L
5 Allen Barbre G L
6 Jason Spitz G/C L
7 Brian Brohm QB L
8 Aaron Rodgers QB L
9 Ryan Grant RB L
10 Brandon Jackson RB L
11 Breno Giacomini T L
12 Mark Tauscher T L
13 Chad Clifton T L
14 Jermichael Finley TE L
15 Donald Lee TE L
16 Jordy Nelson WR L
17 Donald Driver WR L
18 Greg Jennings WR L
19 James Jones WR L

20 John Kuhn FB x
21 Junius Coston G x
22 Matt Flynn QB x
23 Vernand Morency RB x
24 DeShawn Wynn RB x
25 Tony Moll T x
26 Tory Humphrey TE x
27 Ruvell Martin WR x

28 Patrick Lee CB L
29 Charles Woodson CB L
30 Al Harris CB L
31 Jeremy Thompson DE L
32 Aaron Kampman DE L
33 Cullen Jenkins DE L
34 Ryan Pickett DT L
35 Johnny Jolly DT L
36 Justin Harrell DT L
37 Nick Barnett LB L
38 Brandon Chillar LB L
39 Brady Poppinga LB L
40 A.J. Hawk LB L
41 Nick Collins S L
42 Atari Bigby S L
43 Aaron Rouse S L

44 Will Blackmon CB x
45 Jarrett Bush CB x
46 Tramon Williams CB x
47 Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila DE x
48 Michael Montgomery DE x
49 Colin Cole DT x
50 Tracy White LB x
51 Abdul Hodge LB x

52 Mason Crosby K L
53 Jon Ryan P L

bobblehead
05-06-2008, 11:41 PM
I have a strange take on RB. I honestly think Grant runs an ugly holdout, gets traded for a second in next years draft and we go in with:

Jackson, Wynn, CWhite

Kuhn

We might keep Morency if he is healthy and looks strong in camp, but otherwise I think we go with 4. Another possibility is that Wynn tears a nail and misses a lot of training camp and they go with the above 4, but morency instead of wynn.

I also think the third TE could be a surprise rookie FA or even another teams final cut.

The most interesting battles imo are on the OLine where we have a lot of young talent, but limited spots. One of TT's draft picks might not make the team. I think the 3 guards locked in are College, spitz, and babre. 3 tackles will be clifton, tauscher, sitton. Wells is the center with spitz his backup. That leaves really one, MAYBE two spots for coston/moll/giocomini/thompson. Palmer lost his career, too bad, I liked him. If none of the above mentioned players wows 'em so to speak I think they go with 7 on the line as a few can play multiple positions. Its very possible some of the guys on the final roster wont' come outta our camp.

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2008, 11:44 PM
I have a strange take on RB. I honestly think Grant runs an ugly holdout, gets traded for a second in next years draft and we go in with:

Jackson, Wynn, CWhite

Kuhn

Welcome. Now, I'll move onto disagreeing with you. White couldn't beat out Hall last year. I'm guessing he won't this year either. Grant will play. He has to prove 1/2 year wasn't a fluke. If he does it again, he'll get big bucks.

sepporepi
05-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Most teams carry 9 OL, sometimes 8 or 10.
I have NEVER seen just 7 and I strongly doubt the pack will start
it this year.

DonHutson
05-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Not much love for Juice Coston in this thread. He's got his issues but I think he's right back in the hunt with Spitz and Colledge. If you rank the guards in different categories, it looks something like this:

Athleticism: 1) Colledge, 2) Coston, 3) Spitz

Size/Strength: 1) Spitz, 2) Coston, 3) Colledge

Consistency: 1) Spitz, 2) tie between Colledge and Coston - both are inadequate

Intensity: 1) Spitz, 2) another tie between Colledge and Coston - both seem pretty laid back on the field

It's obviously a very unscientific system, but Coston and Colledge rank about even to me. In fact the gap between Coston over Colledge in strength is probably a lot larger than the gap between Colledge and Coston in athleticism.

idpackerfan
05-07-2008, 01:31 PM
I agree with most of what you guys think, with a couple of changes... here's mine...

QB (3) Rodger, Brohm, Flynn
No need for a vet... I think Rodgers will be fine.

RB (3) Grant, Jackson, Wynn
I think that Grant will be a stud again this year and average over 4.5 yds a carry. Jackson showed flashes in mop up duty against the lions last year... Wynn needs to drink some milk and try to stop being made of glass, but as an emergency 3rd string back, he'd be okay.

FB (2) Hall, Kuhn
I like Hall... maybe just cuz he came from an idaho school... even if it was *shutters* BSU.

TE (3) Lee, Finley, Humphrey
I think that Finley will come on midway through the season... humphrey will act moreso as a blocker... I wouldn't be surprised to see some 3 TE sets to throw a curveball at the D this year

OL (9) Wells,Barbre , Clifton, Spitz, Tauscher, Sitton, Giacomini,Colledge , Moll
I think that Barbre beats out Colledge in camp. He's a beast and finally seems to be getting a grasp of the scheme he's playing in(only know that from reading quotes and articles from coaches and I guess i'm taking their word on that)

WR (6) Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Martin, Swain
Robinsen has been a great story about coming back, but swain and jordy will make him expendable by taking over the return duties. I'm actually really excited about Jordy's return abilities... he's decisive, which is something we haven't had for a while in returners... they've liked to dance too much in the past couple of years for my taste.

DL (9) Pickett, Jolly, Harrell, Muir, Jenkins, Kampman, KGB, Thompson, Cole

LB (6) Barnett, Hawk, Chillar, Poppinga, Bishop, White
I think that Chillar beats out Pop for the 3rd spot. Bishop is a hard hitter and a capable backup for barnett. I like hodge, but he's the odd man out here.

CB (5) Harris, Woodson, Lee, Williams, Allen
I think that that Allen, an Undrafted free agent we signed will prove to be clutch. He's big (6-2) and I liked him when I saw portland state play. I know he's a dark horse, but with blackmoon being unable to stay healthy, I think that allen shows major flashes and they go with him and give up on trying to get blackmoon on the field for a full season. If they keep only 3 safeties, i can definitely see them keeping blackmoon for one more season.
S (4) Bigby, Rouse, Collins, Peprah
On here I have them keeping 4 safeties, but I have a feeling that they might only go with 3 with having woodson be their emergency option as a 4th safety. If they want to keep an extra guy at another position, then they can sacrifice one guy here... Also I think that Rouse beats out Collins in camp. He shows up and plays lights out. Ballhawk Rouse and Atari "I don't care about my body" Bigby would make a great combo of aggresiveness and coverage. I just liked Rouse last season a lot and think that he's going to be great.

ST (3) Crosby, DeBauche, Long Snapper
I think that DeBauche dispatches Ryan as the punter with his great directional punting skills. Seems to have quite the leg and is a feel good story since he played at wisconsin.

texaspackerbacker
05-07-2008, 05:14 PM
1 Scott Wells C L
2 Korey Hall FB L
3 Josh Sitton G L
4 Daryn Colledge G L
5 Allen Barbre G L
6 Jason Spitz G/C L
7 Brian Brohm QB L
8 Aaron Rodgers QB L
9 Ryan Grant RB L
10 Brandon Jackson RB L
11 Breno Giacomini T L
12 Mark Tauscher T L
13 Chad Clifton T L
14 Jermichael Finley TE L
15 Donald Lee TE L
16 Jordy Nelson WR L
17 Donald Driver WR L
18 Greg Jennings WR L
19 James Jones WR L

20 John Kuhn FB x
21 Junius Coston G x
22 Matt Flynn QB x
23 Vernand Morency RB x
24 DeShawn Wynn RB x
25 Tony Moll T x
26 Tory Humphrey TE x
27 Ruvell Martin WR x

28 Patrick Lee CB L
29 Charles Woodson CB L
30 Al Harris CB L
31 Jeremy Thompson DE L
32 Aaron Kampman DE L
33 Cullen Jenkins DE L
34 Ryan Pickett DT L
35 Johnny Jolly DT L
36 Justin Harrell DT L
37 Nick Barnett LB L
38 Brandon Chillar LB L
39 Brady Poppinga LB L
40 A.J. Hawk LB L
41 Nick Collins S L
42 Atari Bigby S L
43 Aaron Rouse S L

44 Will Blackmon CB x
45 Jarrett Bush CB x
46 Tramon Williams CB x
47 Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila DE x
48 Michael Montgomery DE x
49 Colin Cole DT x
50 Tracy White LB x
51 Abdul Hodge LB x

52 Mason Crosby K L
53 Jon Ryan P L

What are the l and x ?

The only names of consequence I can see that are missing are Koren Robinson and Desmond Bishop. Who else did you leave out?

Freak Out
05-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Has Grant signed yet? I remember reading awhile back that there could be some issues involving the tender he was offered.

We need the Beav!

motife
05-07-2008, 07:11 PM
What are the l and x ?

The only names of consequence I can see that are missing are Koren Robinson and Desmond Bishop. Who else did you leave out?

L is a lock. x is probable.

Here's who I left out. I did not include a Long Snapper, and I admit I did not balance the roster by position and probable numbers at OL, DL, LB, S, CB, RB... I did at QB and WR..

Jason Hunter DE z
Daniel Muir DT z
Desmond Bishop LB z
Noah Herron RB z
Charlie Peprah S z
Tyrone Culver S z
Orrin Thompson T z
Brett Swain WR z
Koren Robinson WR z
Shaun Bodiford WR z
Chris Francies WR z

motife
05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
ST (3) Crosby, DeBauche, Long Snapper
I think that DeBauche dispatches Ryan as the punter with his great directional punting skills. Seems to have quite the leg and is a feel good story since he played at wisconsin.

Other than an atrocious game in Chicago, didn't Jon Ryan just have one of the greatest punting gross and net avg.'s in Packer history?

motife
05-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I couldn't find the net punting avgs. but since 1959 only 2 Packer punters had a better gross avg than Jon Ryan's
44.4, of last year.

In 2007 Ryan also had a net 37.6, 18 in 20, 13 FC, 19 ret for 113 yards, 0TD. 2 BLKD.
Here are some of his good gross games :
STL 1 - 60.0
KC 2 - 57.5
DEN 3 - 52.3
MN 3 - 50.7
DAL 3 - 49.7
DET 4 - 49.0
MN 4 - 49.0
CHI 5 - 48.0

2006 Ryan gross 44.5, net 35.7, 17 in 20, 4 FC, 55!! ret for 503!! yds, 1TD, 0 BLKD

Only 2 Packer punters with better gross avg's than Ryan in 06/07 :

1997 : Craig Hentrich 45.0. 36.0 net (worse than Ryan's in 07), but with 26! in 20. 15 FC, 32 ret for 255 yds)
1963 : Jerry Norton 44.7

The only other Packer punters to crack 43 : Ron Widby in 1973 and Boyd Dowler 2 years in the 1960's.

btw, Donny Anderson was the Packers Punter from 1965 to 1970 and had very good numbers, all above 40. In 65/66 Donny shared the duties with Don Chandler.

If Ryan improves as much in 08 as he did in 07, he'll be in the Pro Bowl.

bobblehead
05-07-2008, 11:42 PM

Jackson, Wynn, CWhite

Kuhn

Welcome. Now, I'll move onto disagreeing with you. White couldn't beat out Hall last year. I'm guessing he won't this year either. Grant will play. He has to prove 1/2 year wasn't a fluke. If he does it again, he'll get big bucks.

The Grant situation is funny though, TT doesn't like holdouts and demands especially from a guy with half a season under his belt...do you think he will sign the minimum?

I know that Hall beat out White last year and is learning the position still, I probably agree with you that my call isn't likely since TT will go with his pick for at least one more year. I just see it shaping up the way I said.

Another poster said teams tend to go 9 OL, and if that is true the position is a lot clearer, but I thought most went with 8, I could be wrong.

Bretsky
05-07-2008, 11:48 PM

Jackson, Wynn, CWhite

Kuhn

The Grant situation is funny though, TT doesn't like holdouts and demands especially from a guy with half a season under his belt...do you think he will sign the minimum?

I know that Hall beat out White last year and is learning the position still, I probably agree with you that my call isn't likely since TT will go with his pick for at least one more year. I just see it shaping up the way I said.

Another poster said teams tend to go 9 OL, and if that is true the position is a lot clearer, but I thought most went with 8, I could be wrong.

First off welcome to PR bobblehead

I don't think Grant will sign the minimum w/o some incentive clauses worked in; I could also see TT giving him a bit more money.......but Grant has no negotiating power and I don't think TT wants to extend him in a serious contract until he sees Grant excel for a season with AROD.

motife
05-08-2008, 11:44 AM
...oops..

KYPack
05-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Not much love for Juice Coston in this thread. He's got his issues but I think he's right back in the hunt with Spitz and Colledge. If you rank the guards in different categories, it looks something like this:

Athleticism: 1) Colledge, 2) Coston, 3) Spitz

Size/Strength: 1) Spitz, 2) Coston, 3) Colledge

Consistency: 1) Spitz, 2) tie between Colledge and Coston - both are inadequate

Intensity: 1) Spitz, 2) another tie between Colledge and Coston - both seem pretty laid back on the field

It's obviously a very unscientific system, but Coston and Colledge rank about even to me. In fact the gap between Coston over Colledge in strength is probably a lot larger than the gap between Colledge and Coston in athleticism.

I'll buy most of this, DH. The C&C boys are pretty much of a dead heat.

Both have their strong points.

Coston is strong and has the ability to make blow-up blocks at the point of attack. He also is an air-head and can disappear for multiple plays.

Colledge is a hellacious athlete. He makes pulls and downfield blocks that remind me of Wahle in his prime. He's soft, get bullrushed right off the field at times. He also has his moments of disappearing. Against Dallas, he was getting swarmed and just went into a flat footed shell. They had to bench him.

Somehow, I get the idea the coaches wanted Coston to emerge last year and were pissed that he seemed to regress again. Colledge got the gig by default.

Yer right, both guys needs to fire up, for different reasons, but more intensity would help both guys.

I think they want Barbre to win the LG gig, cut one of the C&C squad and give the back-up job to a kid. I hope we don't get rid of the wrong one. I think Colledge gets the job due to his ability to play tackle. He's real comfortable there & could do that job for us in the future.

Patler
05-09-2008, 06:46 AM
The Coston/Colledge competition should be interesting. Colledge got the starting job back last season mostly because Coston was injured. When he first got into the starting lineup, the coaches seemed fairly pleased with Coston, but he got hurt quite quickly.

Coston could be even more versatile than Colledge. The Packers have practiced him at all five line positions. In college, Coston started multiple games at each of the five positions. I think the Packers consider him their #3 center, which is where he played mostly as a senior in college.

Coston is almost two years younger than Colledge. In some ways, I think he has more of a chance to make a major step this season than Colledge does.

RashanGary
05-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Coston is almost two years younger than Colledge. In some ways, I think he has more of a chance to make a major step this season than Colledge does.

It would be a very pleasant suprise if everythign fell that way. Coston seems more natural at RG (considering they moved Spitz to left when Coston started if I remember correctly).

If they feel better about Coston than Colledge, I think it would be wise to move Spitz over right away so he can get acclimated and hit the ground running in preseason and the regular season. I'm starting to take issue with the way they put all of the good prospects ar RG and pretty much give Colledge no competition at LG (other than Barbre and who knows how he pans out).

DonHutson
05-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I think they want Barbre to win the LG gig, cut one of the C&C squad and give the back-up job to a kid. I hope we don't get rid of the wrong one. I think Colledge gets the job due to his ability to play tackle. He's real comfortable there & could do that job for us in the future.

My feeling is Moll will be the odd man out, unless one of the rookies flops.

C- Wells

G- Spitz, Coston, Colledge, Barbre, Sitton

T- Clifton, Tauscher, Giacomini

Several of the guards can also fill in at center or tackle, so the position listings don't mean that much.

Barbre is interesting. Early in the off-season he was being talked about as a potential starter. Then right after the draft when Ted was asked about potential starters at G he listed only Spitz, Colledge, and Coston. I wonder if there's any significance to that, or if it was a slip? Or maybe a motivational ploy? I would think Barbre has an opening to step in and take a job.