PDA

View Full Version : Cedric Benson arrested

Brando19
05-04-2008, 11:06 AM
From PFT:

KVUE News in Austin, Texas, is reporting that Bears running back Cedric Benson was arrested early this morning by the Travis County Sheriff’s department.

The report does not give a reason for the arrest, but does say Benson is out on bond.

Benson has had previous legal trouble. In 2004 he was found guilty of criminal trespassing in connection with a break-in at a woman’s home. In 2002 he was arrested on marijuana possession charges.

The Bears’ 2005 first-round draft pick, Benson has been a disappointment in the NFL. After the Bears used their second-round draft pick on running back Matt Forte, there has been talk in Chicago that Benson won’t be around much longer.

red
05-04-2008, 11:14 AM
i was going to go with the headline, "bears bust gets busted"

talk about stupid. guys about to flop out of the league and he gets into trouble? what an idiot

woodbuck27
05-04-2008, 11:21 AM
The " Off season Hooligans " are upon us. :D

Joemailman
05-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/931248,benson050408.article

Brando19
05-04-2008, 11:51 AM
From PFT:
Following up on the reports this morning that Bears running back Cedric Benson was arrested in Texas, more details have now emerged.

The Chicago Tribune reports that Benson failed a sobriety “float test,” which is similar to a field sobriety test that drivers take. Benson also reportedly argued about taking a follow-up test on land and refused to put on a life jacket. The report says that when police attempted to arrest Benson, he refused to cooperate and was pepper sprayed.

Benson was charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest, both Class B misdemeanors.

The Chicago Sun-Times reports that Benson, who was on his 30-foot boat with 12 to 15 others, is out on $14,500 bail.

The incident took place near Austin, Texas, where Benson played at the University of Texas. The Tribune reports that a sergeant from the Travis County Sheriff’s office says the Lower Colorado River Authority made the arrest.

After off-field trouble at Texas, including a marijuana arrest, led some to compare him to fellow former Longhorns running back Ricky Williams, Benson appeared on the cover of ESPN the Magazine declaring “I’m Not Ricky!“

BallHawk
05-04-2008, 12:39 PM
The NFC North has a boat fetish.

red
05-04-2008, 01:50 PM
The NFC North has a boat fetish.

the article did say that there was 12 to 15 other people on the boat.

hpw funny would it be if our other hated rival had their own love boat fiasco

Partial
05-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Boating while intoxicated seems far less serious than it is. Really, it isn't that much different than drinking and driving, but I can't remember the last time I didn't have a beer while out on a boat.

Deputy Nutz
05-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Boating while intoxicated seems far less serious than it is. Really, it isn't that much different than drinking and driving, but I can't remember the last time I didn't have a beer while out on a boat.

Key word is "seems". Considering there are no lanes, and sure there is boating code with stuff, but it is open water, where people are swimming, fishing, water sking etc...., Impaired judgement on the water is very dangerous, and again Partial, just because you are niave, doesn't make it seem less dangerous.

DonHutson
05-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Benson's been boating up Shit Creek without a paddle for several years. He might as well have a beer or two and enjoy the ride.

FavreChild
05-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Really, it isn't that much different than drinking and driving

Why is it not surprising that you think driving drunk is no big thing? You might kill someone or yourself, but, you know, whatever. It's great to enjoy a beer behind the wheel while you're feeling the open road.

Partial
05-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Really, it isn't that much different than drinking and driving

Why is it not surprising that you think driving drunk is no big thing? You might kill someone or yourself, but, you know, whatever. It's great to enjoy a beer behind the wheel while you're feeling the open road.

Ummm, I think drinking and driving is one of the worst things someone can do. My next door neighbor, a childhood friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver, and a teammate on the tennis team spent months in a coma from the same accident.

Partial
05-04-2008, 03:12 PM

Key word is "seems". Considering there are no lanes, and sure there is boating code with stuff, but it is open water, where people are swimming, fishing, water sking etc...., Impaired judgement on the water is very dangerous, and again Partial, just because you are niave, doesn't make it seem less dangerous.

I am saying that IT IS dangerous. Just as dangerous as driving, yet I see many, many people having a beer while on the boat.

Scott Campbell
05-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Benson's been stealing money from the Bears for years.

Badgerinmaine
05-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Benson's been stealing money from the Bears for years. :rs:

Deputy Nutz
05-04-2008, 08:48 PM

I am saying that IT IS dangerous. Just as dangerous as driving, yet I see many, many people having a beer while on the boat.

The difference is you can use your boat as a bar, you can't do that with your car.

Benson had to be peppered sprayed

Partial
05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't understand what you're implying, but unless you're flip-flopping it seems we're in agreement.

SkinBasket
05-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Boating while intoxicated seems far less serious than it is.

I am saying that IT IS dangerous.

Your tax dollars hard at work. Congratulations Wisconsin and Milwaukee County. You couldn't afford to fund your own child's college fund, but at least your helping pay Partial's way though college. At look at what it's got you!

Partial
05-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Boating while intoxicated seems far less serious than it is.

I am saying that IT IS dangerous.

Your tax dollars hard at work. Congratulations Wisconsin and Milwaukee County. You couldn't afford to fund your own child's college fund, but at least your helping pay Partial's way though college. At look at what it's got you!

Hello, think of how many people are out drinking on a boat. Clearly people believe it is less dangerous than it is. It is very dangerous. What is so difficult to understand about that?!? I suppose the medium isn't ideal, but I thought it was pretty clear.

Bretsky
05-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Back in college years we partied a few times on a boat; I was skiing on one and had a beer in each pocket. Slammed them as I was water skiing around Lake Ripley. Intoxicated Water Skiing was fun; no fear of anything. Good thing I didn't take some hard spills.

Sorry, just thought of that. I have nothing to add to the thread

the_idle_threat
05-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Who doesn't "boat" while intoxicated? :?:

Partial
05-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Back in college years we partied a few times on a boat; I was skiing on one and had a beer in each pocket. Slammed them as I was water skiing around Lake Ripley. Intoxicated Water Skiing was fun; no fear of anything. Good thing I didn't take some hard spills.

Sorry, just thought of that. I have nothing to add to the thread

Case and point. Not ripping on your B-Mac. But its true, people party on the boat and don't think anything of it yet wouldn't dare drunk drive, when they are probably equally dangerous. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Bretsky
05-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Statistically I don't think you can say they are near equally dangerous. We have this little road you have to stay on when drinking. And with cars coming the other way not a lot of room for error. Even though almost everybody drinks while boating severe accidents are few and far between.

Gunakor
05-05-2008, 03:33 AM
I haven't read anything that states Benson was wildly operating that boat while intoxicated, only that he was intoxicated while on board. If that 30 foot boat were sitting idle in the open water as 20 people partied up on the deck, then nobody is really operating that boat. If Benson were in fact piloting that vessel erratically while intoxicated, I would feel a bit differently about it. But to me it sounds like he just took his boat out with some friends onto the open water to drink and have a good time, and I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

Hell, my family and I go out onto Lake Michigan all the time, and always have a few beers while we are on the water. It's customary, and I don't see any danger in it.

It's not the same as driving a car. As B has stated, you are not confined to the road or lane assignments, you are not dealing with cross traffic, and you are not driving just a few feet from streetlights and road signs and mailboxes and such. It's just you and the water.

However, I do think that you should always wear a life jacket - especially when drinking. And I certainly don't agree with his resisting arrest and needing to be sprayed. I just don't think that getting drunk aboard a boat in the open water should be a crime on it's own.

GrnBay007
05-05-2008, 07:23 AM
AUSTIN, Texas (May 4) - Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson failed a sobriety test while operating a 30-foot boat, then resisted arrest before being hit with pepper spray and dragged ashore by officers.

Benson faces charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest after the incident Saturday night on Lake Travis, Travis County Sheriff's Department spokesman Roger Wade said.

Benson was released from jail early Sunday on a $14,500 bond. A call to Benson's agent was not immediately returned.

Benson was operating the boat with 15 passengers aboard when he was stopped by a Lower Colorado River Authority officer for a random safety inspection. He failed a field sobriety test on the officer's boat and was uncooperative when the officer tried to take him ashore, the authority said.

"When Benson did not pass the test, he presented himself as a threat to the officer and argued about whether or not he would be taken to land to have a follow-up field sobriety test performed on land and refused to put on a life jacket," the authority said in a statement.

The officer had to use pepper spray to subdue Benson. He then refused to leave the officer's boat and authorities had to drag him to a car to be taken to the Travis County jail, the authority said.

Zool
05-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Here that Ced? Thats your career going downstream.

DonHutson
05-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Benson's side of the story: others on the boat were drinking, but he was not. The police officers gave him a field sobriety test (ABC's, counting etc.) after which they asked him to come back to shore for further tests. Benson claims he asked politely why he needed to go to shore and the officer maced him in the eye.

If Benson's story is true, apparently he is so bad at reciting the alphabet and counting to ten that he appears to be wildly intoxicated even when completely sober.

Hey Cedric, they sell field sobriety test prep kits at Toys R Us. They're called flash cards. Study up, buddy.

Patler
05-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Statistically I don't think you can say they are near equally dangerous. We have this little road you have to stay on when drinking. And with cars coming the other way not a lot of room for error. Even though almost everybody drinks while boating severe accidents are few and far between.

With no argument pro or con on my part, I provide the following statistics for those who want to debate the impact of alcohol and boating accidents.

In Wisconsin, during the three year period of 2005, 2006 and 2007 there were 50 fatalities from boating accidents. Alcohol impairment was listed as a factor in 16, drugs in 1. Perhaps more important statistically, alcohol and drugs were ruled out as contributing factors in only 9 of those fatalities. In the other 24 the involvement of drugs or alcohol is listed as "unavailable" primarily because it was not investigated adequately or not reported to the state.

In 2006, the Coast Guard attributed 351 boating accidents and 133 boating fatalities to the use of alcohol. I'm not sure how many of those were drunken non-operators falling overboard and drowning, which would not be prevented even with a non-drinking operator.

MadScientist
05-05-2008, 01:12 PM
This is terrible news. Now the bears might be forced to start someone who can actually run the ball, instead of keeping their pet first rounder as the starter.

Freak Out
05-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I heard that the Bears are working a deal with the Cowboys as we speak.

Bretsky
05-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Busted on a routine safety inspection :roll:

99% of Boat Cops are asswipes

Rastak
05-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Seems like a lame deal to me....although, if you run your damn mouth to the cops, this is the shit you get. You ain't gonna win. Right or wrong, you ain't gonna win.

Bretsky
05-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Seems like a lame deal to me....although, if you run your damn mouth to the cops, this is the shit you get. You ain't gonna win. Right or wrong, you ain't gonna win.

This is much about nothing IMO; but that's boat cops.

Most are wanna be pricks who pull up next to you, and inspect your boat for just about everything with the goal to bust your ass for something.

Rastak
05-05-2008, 08:32 PM

Most are wanna be pricks who pull up next to you, and inspect your boat for just about everything with the goal to bust your ass for something.

I never boat so I'll take your word for it.

Would you agree if you run your mouth you are pretty much done? It seems to me not such a smart thing to do.

red
05-05-2008, 08:58 PM
young people need to learn how to shut the hell up and do what the police men say imo

too many have the attitude that they don't have to listen to cops or that they are above any kind of law

if i was a cop, and i told someone we had to do more tests on land and they coped an attitude with me and said no. i would have tazed the prick

Bretsky
05-05-2008, 09:03 PM

I never boat so I'll take your word for it.

Would you agree if you run your mouth you are pretty much done? It seems to me not such a smart thing to do.

If anything is not perfect you are done; if you run your mouth they will absolutely search til you're screwed

Not a wise move by CB

MJZiggy
05-05-2008, 09:10 PM

Sounds like SOMEbody had a run-in...?

By the way, Idle, I don't boat drunk (or much at all) since leaving a small chunk of my leg in a lake because the boat operator was wasted and forgot to cut the engine.

Bretsky
05-05-2008, 09:30 PM

Sounds like SOMEbody had a run-in...?

By the way, Idle, I don't boat drunk (or much at all) since leaving a small chunk of my leg in a lake because the boat operator was wasted and forgot to cut the engine.

Actually I have not; I was always the guy to kill the boat cop with kindness and be sure to have all in order the first time I met the guy. Have met tons of different ones over the years; one nice guy and a bunch of less than friendly wanna be's. Always looking for the city's good graces by ramping up fines anywhere they can find them

GrnBay007
05-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Benson's side of the story: others on the boat were drinking, but he was not. The police officers gave him a field sobriety test (ABC's, counting etc.) after which they asked him to come back to shore for further tests. Benson claims he asked politely why he needed to go to shore and the officer maced him in the eye.

If Benson's story is true, apparently he is so bad at reciting the alphabet and counting to ten that he appears to be wildly intoxicated even when completely sober.

Hey Cedric, they sell field sobriety test prep kits at Toys R Us. They're called flash cards. Study up, buddy.

:lol: :lol:

His side of the story gets better.......

"I'm not handcuffed. I'm not under arrest. I'm not threatening him. I'm not pushing him. I'm not touching him. And he sprays me right in my eye."

The situation escalated when they reached shore, Benson told the paper.

"Once we got to land, the Travis County police grabbed me and kicked my feet from under me. So I landed on my back while I was handcuffed. They held me down and held the water hose over my face. I couldn't breathe, I'm choking, I'm begging the cops, 'Please stop. Please stop.' Then they picked me up and dragged me backward toward their car. And I'm still being polite, asking them, 'Sir, could you please allow me to walk like a man to your cop car?' They just kept dragging me on."

...and somewhere in between is the truth.

the_idle_threat
05-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Well, Zig makes one. Well, maybe one half because you said you really don't boat much anymore.

How the heck did that happen, by the way? Were you down by the prop?

twoseven
05-06-2008, 04:04 AM
Benson, use your head..charter a boat..like the Vikings did.

MJZiggy
05-06-2008, 07:10 PM
yeah, that worked out well for them.

cheesner
05-07-2008, 09:54 AM
:lol:

No bear fans are surprised he was caught and brought down so easily.

DonHutson
05-07-2008, 01:13 PM
:lol:

No bear fans are surprised he was caught and brought down so easily.

Excellent point. His biggest problem is that you can't really run out of bounds from a boat.

Guiness
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
the jokes are rolling now...

Benson was easy to take down (http://www.serioussportsnewsnetwork.com/2008/05/cops-say-benson-is-surprisingly-easy-to-take-down.html)

Cops say Benson is surprisingly easy to take down
Cedric Benson at his classiest

AUSTIN, TX — When Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was arrested for driving his boat on an Austin, Texas lake, police say they were surprised by how easily the 6-foot, 220-pound man went down to the ground.

“Basically, we barely touched him, and he went down,” said one officer on the scene. “It wasn’t difficult to take him down and cuff him at all. He basically fell over on first contact. It almost seemed like he was looking for a place to fall before we even told him he was under arrest.”

Benson was arrested last weekend when officers on Lake Travis pulled up next to his boat for a routine safety check. Reportedly, the former fourth overall pick failed a sobriety test and was uncooperative with the officers, who were compelled to use force to take him down after he refused to head for land.

That was when the scuffle ensued, and the cops took Benson down and got him under control. According to eyewitness accounts, the officer who tackled Benson was not a large man.

“Yeah, the guy who wrestled him to the ground was only about 5-foot-8, 150 pounds. But he just grabbed him by the legs, and down Benson went,” said one surprised onlooker. “I would’ve thought an NFL running back would be more difficult to tackle, but it looked shockingly easy. It all happened very fast.”

Benson defended his apparent lack of fortitude as simple self-preservation. He maintains that as an NFL player, his continued physical well-being is the first priority.

“Could I have taken that guy? Probably – I must outweigh him by at least 50 pounds. But I’ve got a career to think about,” Benson explained. “When I saw him come at me, it was like ‘well, I can either just hit the deck, literally, or he could maybe twist my ankle or bruise my thigh or something.’ Obviously I don’t want to get injured, so I got down before he could do any damage.

“It’s a strategy that’s worked for me on the field, so I figured the same basic principles apply on a boat. And you know what? My legs feel great.”

hoosier
05-07-2008, 07:54 PM
These Texas river cops sound like scum of the earth. Something tells me Benson got profiled and screwed.

Report: Benson's friend had dad call 911 over police treatment
ESPN.com news services

A woman who was a passenger in Cedric Benson's boat when he was pepper-sprayed and arrested Saturday night said the Chicago Bears running back did not seem intoxicated and did not resist arrest, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Elizabeth Cartwright, 22, a senior at the University of Texas and a friend of Benson, said she called her father and asked him to call police about the way Benson was treated by officers of the Lower Colorado River Authority, which patrols Lake Travis, a man-made lake northwest of Austin, Texas.

"I called my dad and told him, 'Call 911, my black friend is getting beaten up by police on Lake Travis,'" Cartwright recalled, according to the Tribune. "It's more what I heard than what I saw. I have never heard or seen Cedric that scared."

According to the police report, Benson had bloodshot eyes, a "strong" alcohol odor and slurred speech when his boat was stopped by authorities on Saturday.

Benson has denied he was intoxicated or that he resisted law enforcement and will fight the charges against him.

He met with Bears coach Lovie Smith and general manager Jerry Angelo on Tuesday, but the Bears did not comment on the meeting or their invesetigation of the incident, the Daily Herald of Arlington Heights, Ill. reported.

Cartwright said she is willing to present her account of events as evidence. She also said her fiance took photographs of the incident that help back up her claims.

According to the Tribune, Cartwright said she had had one drink and Benson had consumed two when the party of about 15 people decided to head back to shore at about 9:30 p.m. on Saturday to get dinner. About that time, a patrol boat approached to conduct a random check, she said.

According to Cartwright, it was the sixth time that a patrol had stopped Benson's boat on Lake Travis in as many outings this year.

Cartwright said after the boat passed the safety checkup, Benson was asked to board the LCRA craft for a sobriety test. As an officer led Benson to the LCRA boat for the test, the second officer left behind on Benson's boat assured his mother, Jackie Benson, that her son would be fine, Cartwright said, according to the report.

"I know Cedric and I don't think he was drunk," Cartwright said, according to the Tribune.

A few minutes later, Cartwright said she heard Benson begin to scream after the officer pepper-sprayed him, according to the report. By the time Benson was in handcuffs, he was screaming, "Please stop, Mom, make them please stop," she said.

According to the report, Cartwright's father, Jeff, called 911 at his daughter's insistence. Unaware she was calling about Benson, he told the dispatcher that police "were beating up a black kid on Lake Travis."

A Travis County spokesman wouldn't confirm or deny Tuesday night that a 911 call had been placed regarding the incident, according to the Tribune.

Benson and Cartwright's accounts differ from the police account of the incident.

According to the police report, Sgt. Leonard Snyder, who sprayed and arrested Benson, said he believed Benson was intoxicated because he was "combative," "cocky," "insulting" and used "profanity," but at other times was "crying" and "cooperative."

After failing sobriety tests applied by Snyder, who works with the Lower Colorado River Authority, Snyder wrote that Benson refused to come ashore for additional tests and "stood up from the position where I had him seated and suggested I could not tell him what to do."

Information from The Associated

MadtownPacker
05-07-2008, 08:06 PM
These Texas river cops sound like scum of the earth. Something tells me Benson got profiled and screwed.

"I called my dad and told him, 'Call 911, my black friend is getting beaten up by police on Lake Travis,'" Cartwright recalled, according to the Tribune. "It's more what I heard than what I saw. I have never heard or seen Cedric that scared."

Who would say it like that? The fact this broad is injecting racism tells me all I need to know. This chick cried to her daddy, benson cried to his mama. Sounds like a bunch of spoiled pukes upset they cant do whatever they want.

I hope all the charges get dropped though. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
05-07-2008, 08:39 PM

Who would say it like that? The fact this broad is injecting racism tells me all I need to know. This chick cried to her daddy, benson cried to his mama. Sounds like a bunch of spoiled pukes upset they cant do whatever they want.

I hope all the charges get dropped though. :lol:

Who would say it? A white person it texas.

That state don't tolerate no uppity black men. You know, like that byrd guy.

MadtownPacker
05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I said all the charges should get dropped you asscavern, what more do you want???

I really didnt need to read you post. Just had to look at the avatar and I knew what it would say. You think all his homies arent gonna say whatever to get him outta a jam? You think they want to lose all the millions that paid for that boat trip?? You really think his Mama would side against him?

If so then you just dont know or dont wanna know shit.

Guiness
05-07-2008, 10:47 PM
MTP - going off like a Mexican - oh, I don't know, a Mexican something, anyways.

I think what the good brother Tyrone was doing was just answering the question. Who would say "my black friend is getting..."? A whitey in Texas, that's who.

fo' my money though, her statement is so full of holes, it laughable. First off, she admitted he was drinking...multiple drinks. Oops, she just admitted they had probable cause.

She heard him scream after he was pepper sprayed? Was she watching before that? Does she know if he was resisting or not?

twoseven
05-08-2008, 03:56 AM
fo' my money though, her statement is so full of holes, it laughable. First off, she admitted he was drinking...multiple drinks. Oops, she just admitted they had probable cause.
Yes, but..

'"I know Cedric and I don't think he was drunk," Cartwright said, according to the Tribune. '

Hey, works for me. :roll:

DonHutson
05-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Something tells me Benson got profiled and screwed.

Maybe. But Benson is a former UT star, and this was in Austin. I think he'd be more likely to get profiled as "Cedric Benson, Longhorn star" than as some black guy on a big boat.

Would Ron Dayne get maced in the face and tackled to the ground on State Street if he wasn't really asking for it?

red
05-08-2008, 04:14 PM
i read somewhere that the boat patrol made a statement regarding the racial profiling

they said over the past, i don't know how many years, they have made 470-some arrests on that lake. 450-something have been white folks. a whopping , 10 arrests were black folks

obviously the boat cops have it out for black people

Tarlam!
05-08-2008, 04:23 PM
i read somewhere

Well, with that type of source, I am totally convinced that the cops weren't in any way acting out of racism.

But aside from Red's stupid assertion, I fail to see what race would have to do with this. If the guy waqs acting the prick, he went down. My step father was a cop, albeit in Sydney. Cops are not pricks or racist´by habit. They are a product of the society from which they come.

red
05-08-2008, 05:02 PM
heres your god damn link, crybaby

pft.com

heres the paragraph

On the night in question, Cartwright says she called her father and told him “to call 911 and tell them my black friend is getting beat up by cops,” possibly suggesting that Cartwright believed the police targeted Benson because he is black. The Lower Colorado River Authority, which made the arrest, says that in the last five years, its officers have made 457 arrests on the lake, and that 428 of the people arrested were white and 10 were black.

Freak Out
05-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Was he boating anywhere near Jasper?

Tyrone Bigguns
05-08-2008, 06:11 PM
i read somewhere that the boat patrol made a statement regarding the racial profiling

they said over the past, i don't know how many years, they have made 470-some arrests on that lake. 450-something have been white folks. a whopping , 10 arrests were black folks

obviously the boat cops have it out for black people

I think we need to put that figure in perspective.

There were like thousands of white boaters...while one black and his boat got arrested 10 times. :oops:

Tyrone Bigguns
05-08-2008, 06:12 PM
I said all the charges should get dropped you asscavern, what more do you want???

I really didnt need to read you post. Just had to look at the avatar and I knew what it would say. You think all his homies arent gonna say whatever to get him outta a jam? You think they want to lose all the millions that paid for that boat trip?? You really think his Mama would side against him?

If so then you just dont know or dont wanna know shit.

Relax man. I was just sayin who would say it...a white person.

Sure, homies will say stuff to protect their friend....just as cops will lie.

As Mickey Rourke said in Barfly..."It's not that i don't like cops, i just feel safer when they aren't around."

Tyrone Bigguns
05-08-2008, 06:15 PM
i read somewhere

Well, with that type of source, I am totally convinced that the cops weren't in any way acting out of racism.

But aside from Red's stupid assertion, I fail to see what race would have to do with this. If the guy waqs acting the prick, he went down. My step father was a cop, albeit in Sydney. Cops are not pricks or racist´by habit. They are a product of the society from which they come.

Very true. But, you also have to recognize institutionalized racism.

Birds of a feather flock together. In this country, cops have long been racist...the grew up racist and joined the force where there were with other racists...and allowed to continue to act in a racist manner.

Take a look at sentence disparity tween whites and blacks..especially in the south.

MadtownPacker
05-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Something tells me Benson got profiled and screwed.

Maybe. But Benson is a former UT star, and this was in Austin. I think he'd be more likely to get profiled as "Cedric Benson, Longhorn star" than as some black guy on a big boat.

Would Ron Dayne get maced in the face and tackled to the ground on State Street if he wasn't really asking for it?See thats what I was thinking too. Considering TX is always spoken of as very big on football I have to believe benson was acting like a fool. He was probably use to getting special treatment before but what he got was a taste of what average Joe gets if he acts stupid.

cheesner
05-09-2008, 02:49 PM

Birds of a feather flock together. In this country, cops have long been racist...the grew up racist and joined the force where there were with other racists...and allowed to continue to act in a racist manner.

Take a look at sentence disparity tween whites and blacks..especially in the south.
Real nice. Who is the one with predispositions?

Kettle, meet teapot.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-09-2008, 06:20 PM

Kettle, meet teapot.

Sorry, but the truth hurts. I didn't say all cops, but the facts are the facts.

Care to argue on the merits of what i said. care to argue about sentence disparity. Care to argue about earnest lacy or rodney king or abner louima (or the the NYC cops that rioted when giuliana ran against dinkins..who they cops hated), etc.

When I meet a cop i don't look at him/her and think racist, but when I read a story about a black/white situation..i'm not surprised.

Partial
05-09-2008, 06:22 PM
I don't think Cops are racist.

cheesner
05-09-2008, 06:53 PM

Kettle, meet teapot.

Care to argue on the merits of what i said. care to argue about sentence disparity. Care to argue about earnest lacy or rodney king or abner louima (or the the NYC cops that rioted when giuliana ran against dinkins..who they cops hated), etc.

When I meet a cop i don't look at him/her and think racist, but when I read a story about a black/white situation..i'm not surprised.
So, you get to be a racist because you are African-American?

What about Reginald Denny? Some guy smashed a cinder block into his head because he was white. He was not charged with a hate crime although the Rodney King cops were. Does this mean that the justice system is prejudiced towards AAs? How about OJ? He stabs 2 white people and gets off free? Can it now be said that Black people are murders? It is proven that some are. NO! it is Bullshit! And so are your statements.

As you say the truth hurts. As you just proved you are a racist - you are exactly what you are suggesting is bad.

And if you don't believe you are a racist, define it and look at your posts again.

If you would like, substitute black for white and white for black in your statements and suppose a white guy wrote it. Sound racist? Then it is. Think it is different because you are black? Go back and read your definition (or at least a standard definition) of racism.

Scott Campbell
05-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Psssst. That was a great rant, but Ty's not black.

cheesner
05-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Psssst. That was a great rant, but Ty's not black.
oops

So that's not him in the AVATAR? :oops:

Tyrone Bigguns
05-09-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't think Cops are racist.

OH. So all cops aren't racist? They are all good people? LOL

There is no arguing that racism exists within police departments. For years, only whites were police officers.

Not all cops are racist, however, some are racist to begin with, others are molded into that perspective.

HOw?

Police work, unlike most other professional activities, has the capacity to bring officers into contact with a skewed cross-section of society, with the well-recognized potential for producing negative stereotypes of particular groups. Such stereotypes become the common currency of the police occupational culture. If the predominantly white staff of the police organization have their experience of visible minorities largely restricted to interactions with such groups, then negative racial stereotypes will tend to develop accordingly.

What happens when this becomes "institutional racism?"

It results in a generalized tendency, particularly where any element of discretion is involved, whereby minorities may receive different and less favorable treatment than the majority. Such differential treatment need be neither conscious nor intentional, and it may be practised routinely by officers whose professionalism is exemplary in all other respects. There is great danger that focusing on overt acts of personal racism by individual officers may deflect attention from the much greater institutional challenge ... of addressing the more subtle and concealed form that organizational-level racism may take. Its most important challenging feature is its predominantly hidden character and its inbuilt pervasiveness within the occupational culture.

Perhaps you would be interested in reading the CU study (using videogames) that showed police officers quicker to fire at blacks than whites.

Since the 1970s, sociologists and political scientists have consistently found that minority suspects in the United States face lethal force from police officers at a disproportionate rate. According to 2001 figures from the Department of Justice, black suspects were five times more likely to be shot and killed by officers than white suspects.

And, to be forthright...officers are 5 times more likely to be shot by a black man than white.

Scott Campbell
05-09-2008, 07:14 PM
And, to be forthright...officers are 5 times more likely to be shot by a black man than white.

So it it racism or are they just statistic buffs?

Tyrone Bigguns
05-09-2008, 07:18 PM

Kettle, meet teapot.

So, you get to be a racist because you are African-American?

What about Reginald Denny? Some guy smashed a cinder block into his head because he was white. He was not charged with a hate crime although the Rodney King cops were. Does this mean that the justice system is prejudiced towards AAs? How about OJ? He stabs 2 white people and gets off free? Can it now be said that Black people are murders? It is proven that some are. NO! it is Bullshit! And so are your statements.

As you say the truth hurts. As you just proved you are a racist - you are exactly what you are suggesting is bad.

And if you don't believe you are a racist, define it and look at your posts again.

If you would like, substitute black for white and white for black in your statements and suppose a white guy wrote it. Sound racist? Then it is. Think it is different because you are black? Go back and read your definition (or at least a standard definition) of racism.

Man, you are exactly the brightet bulb. Did i say anything about treating people differently because of their skin color. I said exactly the opposite. When i meet a cop i dont' view him as a racist. What i said was that when i see/hear about it it doesn't surprise me.

Just as when someone who is rich and wearing bling in a bad section of town gets jacked. Do they deserve it..no. Am i surprised, no.

YOu need to get a grip. THere is no doubting the racism that exists in society. Police officers are part of society. Follow the logic.

You can't equate all crimes. I'm not doing that..you fuckin dope. Some cases are blatantly racist, some are good solid police work.

Again, explain the police reloading on that black guy on his wedding day, or abner louima, or the riots caused by giuliani, or lacey, or the countless other blacks that were killed. I guess the expression DWB just came about because...well outta thin air.

P.S. Who said anything about my color. Are you judging my posts based on an AVATAR? Hmm, wonder if i had a different avatar that you might not post exactly the same...or imply that my posts are a result of race.

Figure it out man...cause, you aren't exactly on track.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-09-2008, 07:21 PM

Well, we could also throw out shootings related to econ status as well.

I think we all know that crime (non white collar) is directly related to econ status.

cheesner
05-09-2008, 07:47 PM
YOu need to get a grip. THere is no doubting the racism that exists in society. Police officers are part of society. Follow the logic.

You can't equate all crimes. I'm not doing that..you fuckin dope. Some cases are blatantly racist, some are good solid police work.

Again, explain the police reloading on that black guy on his wedding day, or abner louima, or the riots caused by giuliani, or lacey, or the countless other blacks that were killed. I guess the expression DWB just came about because...well outta thin air.

P.S. Who said anything about my color. Are you judging my posts based on an AVATAR? Hmm, wonder if i had a different avatar that you might not post exactly the same...or imply that my posts are a result of race.

I agree, there is a lot of racism. Some of it is unfortunately 'politically correct' and encouraged by society.

Tyrone, I appreciate your posts in general. You are definitely an intelligent poster. I think my post was a little harsh and premature. I prefer your later post in response to Partial. I don't think we will quite agree on things, I certainly see things in a different perspective.

Partial
05-09-2008, 07:53 PM

Ty considers that racist. And Cheesner, Tyrone is as white as a upper middle class suburban kid can get.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-10-2008, 05:03 PM

I agree, there is a lot of racism. Some of it is unfortunately 'politically correct' and encouraged by society.

Tyrone, I appreciate your posts in general. You are definitely an intelligent poster. I think my post was a little harsh and premature. I prefer your later post in response to Partial. I don't think we will quite agree on things, I certainly see things in a different perspective.

Cheesner,

Not a problem. As we say in the ghetto..no autopsy, no foul. :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
05-10-2008, 05:04 PM

Ty considers that racist. And Cheesner, Tyrone is as white as a upper middle class suburban kid can get.

there you go again, stalking me. Give me your addy so i can send the poster.

NewsBruin
05-11-2008, 06:22 AM
I hate to stick up for a Longhorn AND a Chicago Bear, but my unscientific smell test says Benson is in the right on this one.