PDA

View Full Version : Eco-battle: Sea Lions vs. Salmon

Kiwon
05-04-2008, 10:43 PM
No, this isn't a game between two Japanese baseball teams.

This is a life and death struggle on the Columbia River in Oregon.

Shout out to OPF, PR correspondent on the scene. - Which animal should we be rooting for?
.................................................. ..................

Sea lions shot dead on Columbia River as salmon battle rages

By WILLIAM McCALL, Associated Press Writer

Six federally protected sea lions were apparently shot to death on the Columbia River as they lay in open traps put out to ensnare the animals, which eat endangered salmon. State and federal authorities are investigating.

The discovery came one day after three elephant seals were found shot to death at a breeding ground in central California.

Trapping will be suspended during the investigation, said Rick Hargrave, a spokesman for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife who was at the scene Sunday.

The carcasses of the four California sea lions and two Steller sea lions were found Sunday around noon below the Bonneville Dam on the Columbia River on the border of Oregon and Washington.

The six animals appear to have been shot by somebody on the Washington side during the night, said Brian Gorman, a spokesman for the National Marine Fisheries Service.

Two open cages each contained the carcasses of two California sea lions and one Steller sea lion, he said.

Necropsies were planned for all the animals, and the area was being treated as a crime scene by state and federal agencies, Gorman said.

Investigators will try to determine whether there is any link between the animals killed Sunday on the Columbia and the elephant seals killed Saturday near San Simeon in California, Gorman said.

Seven California sea lions were trapped on the Columbia starting April 24 after the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals approved their capture. One died during a medical inspection before transfer to a Sea World park.

Washington and Oregon have been granted federal authorization to capture or kill as many as 85 sea lions a year for five years at the base of the dam, where they feed on endangered salmon headed upriver to spawn.

Fishermen and American Indian tribes have pushed to protect the salmon and remove the sea lions, by lethal force if necessary, forcing a delicate balancing act by the federal government.

The Humane Society of the United States has gone to court to challenge the authorization, with another hearing set for May 8. Until a judge rules, no animals may be legally killed.

"We're really shocked," said Sharon Young, a Humane Society spokeswoman, who learned about the sea lion deaths from a reporter.

"We're a nation of laws, and we should expect people to abide by them," Young said.

oregonpackfan
05-04-2008, 11:12 PM
This is indeed a highly controversial here in the Pacific Northwest. Originally regarded as an endangered species, the sea lions have begun to multiply and thrive in the past few years.

The ones feasting on the salmon by the dams on the Columbia River have actually migrated up the coast of Oregon from California.

In an article I posted a couple of weeks ago, the salmon population along the coast has dwindled so dramatically that the Federal Government has closed the salmon fishing along the coast to both commercial and sport fishermen. This will have serious financial impact for the many small communities along the coast.

River salmon fishing is still allowed but on a limited basis on Oregon's Rivers(it shares the Columbia River with Washington).

As Kiwon's article correctly states, the federal government has allowed the removal of the sea lions by either capture or lethal force. While I prefer removing the sea lions by capture and transporting them to zoos, etc. the the eradication of them by lethal force may, unfortunately, be necessary and justified.

Kiwon
05-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Salmon - 1, Sea Lions - 0

I'm on the salmon's side too.

Oh baby, raw smoked salmon is one of my favorites on the Korean buffets. Even for breakfast its awesome.

the_idle_threat
05-04-2008, 11:28 PM
I like smoked salmon as well, but I've never tried smoked sea lion, so I can't compare them fairly. :P

Kiwon
05-04-2008, 11:33 PM
I like smoked salmon as well, but I've never tried smoked sea lion, so I can't compare them fairly. :P

It can't be as tough as the beef they serve in the Philippines. There they don't kill a cow until it almost keels over from old age.

the_idle_threat
05-04-2008, 11:39 PM

It can't be as tough as the beef they serve in the Philippines. There they don't kill a cow until it almost keels over from old age.

"I want the cancer piece!"

twoseven
05-05-2008, 03:55 AM
I'm all for eco-balance, but I would prefer they use hand-to-hand combat in dealing with the sea lions. Mixed martial arts is also going through a population explosion, I see a real opportunity here. :)

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2008, 08:13 AM
This is indeed a highly controversial here in the Pacific Northwest. Originally regarded as an endangered species, the sea lions have begun to multiply and thrive in the past few years .

We should swap some of our wolves for some of your sea lions. No sure how happy the sea lions will be in Lake Superior, but the wolves will be cool with it.

woodbuck27
05-05-2008, 10:41 AM
This is indeed a highly controversial here in the Pacific Northwest. Originally regarded as an endangered species, the sea lions have begun to multiply and thrive in the past few years .

We should swap some of our wolves for some of your sea lions. No sure how happy the sea lions will be in Lake Superior, but the wolves will be cool with it.

Nope to Sea Lions in the Great Lakes System. :D

Many fish species are thriving there after several were introduced back in the early 70's.

texaspackerbacker
05-05-2008, 02:23 PM
This is a tough question.

Ethnocentrically speaking, we mammals have to stick together.

On the other hand, salmon are food for a higher level in the ethnocentric hierarchy--us.

On still another hand, I don't particularly like the taste of salmon anyway.

So I'll just take the old Rhett Butler approach: Frankly, I don't give a damn.

The Leaper
05-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I say we give both the sea lions and salmon some guns and let them figure it out for themselves. I'm tired of us having to occupy a hostile territory for years while the savages try to figure out how to get along.

red
05-05-2008, 04:10 PM
can we attach knifes to the heads of each animal to maybe make this fight more fair?

or at least more exciting

Tyrone Bigguns
05-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I say we give both the sea lions and salmon some guns and let them figure it out for themselves. I'm tired of us having to occupy a hostile territory for years while the savages try to figure out how to get along.

What a wrongheaded position to take. Clearly our occupation of "their" waters has prevented many seal attacks on our soil.

This fact is undeniable.

Freak Out
05-05-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm all for eco-balance, but I would prefer they use hand-to-hand combat in dealing with the sea lions. Mixed martial arts is also going through a population explosion, I see a real opportunity here. :)

In the water? On land you would have a chance but if you tried to go Bruce Lee on them in the water we would be lucky to find your corpse. Stellars are some big mean MFers.

Not to jack this thread.... :jack:

I met someone a few weeks ago who told me they had been injecting Mexican bull testosterone to help them become more aggressive in the ring or octagon or whatever the hell it is. Is this person fucking with me or are they just as crazy as they seemed? Do people do this?

red
05-05-2008, 05:54 PM
i think tsome do, do that

at least the guy in GTA iV does it

twoseven
05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I met someone a few weeks ago who told me they had been injecting Mexican bull testosterone to help them become more aggressive in the ring or octagon or whatever the hell it is. That's funny, I heard it made them sleepy and they were tapping out sooner.

Freak Out
05-05-2008, 06:44 PM
I met someone a few weeks ago who told me they had been injecting Mexican bull testosterone to help them become more aggressive in the ring or octagon or whatever the hell it is. That's funny, I heard it made them sleepy and they were tapping out sooner.

Do they allow Siestas in MMA matches? :lol:

twoseven
05-06-2008, 04:10 AM

Do they allow Siestas in MMA matches? :lol:
Happy Cinco de Mayo
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/nbe0285l.jpg

Gunakor
05-06-2008, 04:23 AM

What a wrongheaded position to take. Clearly our occupation of "their" waters has prevented many seal attacks on our soil.

This fact is undeniable.

:lol: :lol: :lol: