PDA

View Full Version : 5 toughest/easiest 2008 schedules

GrnBay007
05-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Found this on a blog (streetcred) on Fox Sports. The writer said he waited until after the draft to make his final call.

Interesting what he has to say about the Vikings.

Thoughts?

5 Teams that Were Brutalized by the NFL Schedule Maker

1) Pittsburgh Steelers – This is by far the most brutal schedule in the NFL. The Steelers face 8 different playoff teams from 2007. They also face Cleveland twice, which won 10 games and finished a tiebreaker out of the playoffs. Here is their schedule from Week 5 to Week 14: 5) at Jacksonville, 6) Bye, 7) at Cincinnati, 8) NY Giants, 9) at Washington, 10) Indianapolis, 11) San Diego, 12) Cincinnati, 13) at New England, 14) Dallas.

Thank god for the Bengals or there would be no easy games. In particular that stretch playing Indy, San Diego, at New England, and Dallas is brutal. The Steelers opponents winning percentage in 2008 was .598. That is toughest in the NFL. Their only opponents that had losing records in 2007 are Cincinnati (2) and Baltimore (2). When you consider that most people feel the Ravens had a very quality draft, they should be improved in 2008. The Steelers did well in the draft and have a solid nucleus returning in 2008. However, they have no favors when it comes to the schedule.

2) Indianapolis – It is bad enough having to play in the AFC South where both Jacksonville and Tennessee made the playoffs. They have the following stretch of games: 7) at Green Bay, 8) at Tennessee, 9) New England, 10) at Pittsburgh, 11) Houston, 12) at San Diego, 13) at Cleveland.

That is 5 playoff teams in 7 weeks. Cleveland was a 10 game winner that was very busy in free agency. There are 3 road games in 4 weeks with the only home game being against New England. The winning percentage of the Colts opponents in 2007 was .594, which is not that much behind the Steelers. When you consider the pass rushers Jacksonville added and the Colts not having a first round pick, I believe the gap has closed between Indy and the rest of that division. While the Colts are still very talented, they will have more than their share of obstacles to repeat in the AFC South.

3) Green Bay Packers – When you look at the NFL schedule, you can begin to see why Brett Favre didn’t think returning to the playoffs based on the development of the team would be enough to ensure a playoff birth. Here is their schedule from Week 3 through 11. 3) Dallas, 4) at Tampa Bay, 5) Atlanta, 6) at Seattle, 7) Indianapolis, 8) Bye, 9) at Tennessee, 10) at Minnesota, 11) Chicago, 12) at New Orleans.

That is a lot of tough games. 5 of those 9 teams are playoff teams. Minnesota has added Jared Allen and the Packers couldn’t beat the Bears last year when the Pack won 13 games. Two of the Pack’s 3 losses were to Chicago. New Orleans could return to their 2006 form this season. The only victory that would seem certain is the Atlanta game at home. The Packer’s opponents winning percentage in 2007 was .531. The Packers aren’t going to have much time to adjust to life without #4. They had best get out of the gate fast, because the schedule will be unforgiving if they need to make up ground starting in Week 6.

4) Dallas Cowboys – The Cowboys are naturally going to have a tough schedule seeing that they were one of 3 teams that made the playoffs in their own division. Furthermore, the Eagles were 8-8 and signed the biggest free agent in the offseason in Samuel. Still, the Cowboys have a brutal stretch in the middle of the season. 8) Tampa Bay, 9) at NY Giants, 11) at Washington, 12) San Francisco, 13) Seattle, 14) at Pittsburgh, 15) NY Giants.

That would be 6 playoff opponents in 7 weeks for the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys overall schedule had a winning percentage of .523 in 2007. The Cowboys had a 13-3 record in 2007 and potentially added 4 key pieces on draft weekend to go along with Zach Thomas. They did what they needed to do to keep pace. However, they will not be able to have the lapses they had at the end of the season in 2007, otherwise their schedule is strong enough to make them pay in 2008.

5) Seattle Seahawks – The Seahawks don’t have that 8 game stretch where they play a bunch of playoff opponents. Playing in the NFC West helps in that regard. Still, the Seahawks opponents had a .477 winning percentage in 2007. Of note there are 2 three game stretches that could give the Hawks some issues. 5) at NY Giants, 6) Green Bay, 7) at Tampa Bay & 12) Washington, 13) at Dallas, 14) New England.

The Seahawks have some nice games against Miami, New York Jets, Buffalo, St Louis (2), and San Francisco (2). Arizona is probably their most formidable opponent in the division. It is imperative that they take care of those teams and not suffer any lapses. This shouldn’t be like 2007 when they played 2 playoff teams the entire season and none in the last 10 weeks of the season. If the Seahawks stumble where they shouldn’t, the schedule will be much less forgiving.

5 Teams that Were Spared by the NFL Schedule Maker

1) New England Patriots – It must be pretty nice to be coming off a 16-0 regular season and not only get the 7th pick in the draft, but get the league’s easiest schedule at .387. Part of that is due to the 1-15 Dolphins and 4-12 NY Jets residing in their division. Still, here are there first 4 opponents: 1) Kansas City. 2) at NY Jets, 3) Miami, 4) Bye, 5) at San Francisco.

The only time they play 2007 playoff opponents in back to back weeks are Pittsburgh and Seattle in Weeks 13 and 14. There are only 4 playoff opponents out of 16 on their schedule. That is the minimum a team that finished in 1st place can play the following season. I’m sure the NY Jets will be better and that there will be some surprises on their schedule. However, considering the season the Patriots had and the changes they are making on defense, they got a very favorable schedule. It is easy not only in terms of overall quality, but the lack of quality they play in the first 5 weeks of the season while those new parts become acclimated to the Patriot’s way.

2) San Diego Chargers – Very similar situation to the Patriots. They play in a bad division and therefore only drew 4 playoff opponents out of a possible 16 opponents on their schedule. Their first 5 opponents are 1) Carolina, 2) at Denver, 3) NY Jets, 4) at Oakland, 5) at Miami.

The Chargers have a few tougher obstacles that the Patriots. They did draw Pittsburgh and Indy in back to back weeks for Week 11 and 12. New Orleans could rebound from their dismal 2007 campaign. Overall, the Chargers look like they are in pretty good shape with this schedule too. Playing in the AFC West is a blessing in of itself. Combined with 3 games against Buffalo, NY Jets, and Miami gives the Chargers an easier road than most.

3) New Orleans Saints – I believe the schedule sets up nicely for the Saints to have a bounce back season in 2008. Here is their schedule from Week 3 to 11. 3) at Denver, 4) San Francisco, 5) Minnesota, 6) Oakland, 7) at Carolina, 8) San Diego, 9) Bye, 10) at Atlanta, 11) at Kansas City.

Consider that there is only one playoff team from 2007 in that 7 game mix. The Saints schedule had a winning percentage of .449 in 2007. They play against the weak AFC West. The NFC North is a relative unknown in 2008. Who knows if Minnesota will be able to win given their QB situation, if the Bears will return to their 06 level, or if the Packers can survive without Favre?

Furthermore, the Saints divisional leader (Tampa) won only 9 games in 2007 and has several issues of their own. Tampa fans will remind you that is because Tampa tanked the last couple games of the season. Still, most objective people will agree the Bucs were the weakest divisional champion in 2007. If New Orleans has fixed their defensive problems this offseason and can run the ball in 2008, the schedule sets up nicely for them.

4) Arizona Cardinals - I know, I know. People have been telling you that Arizona is the team to watch in the NFC West since Denny Green took over. Every year they find a way to win 8 games or less. But, when you look at this schedule, they should get off to a great start. Here is what they are looking at: 1) at San Francisco, 2) Miami, 3) at Washington, 4) at NY Jets, 5) Buffalo, 6) Dallas, 7) Bye, 8) at Carolina, 9) at St. Louis, 10) San Francisco.

That is exactly 2 playoff teams in their first 9 games. The overall schedule has a winning percentage of .465, so it is fairly friendly when compared to other teams. They have to make sure they aren’t depending on the end of the season to win games. They finish 15) Minnesota, 16) at New England, 17) Seattle. However, if the Cardinals can continue to progress in year 2 of the Ken Whisenhunt program they will be in good shape to be competing either for the division or a wild card spot come the end of the season.

5) Minnesota Vikings – Minnesota has a schedule where their opponents won .551 of their games in 2007. Many people will not have them on the easy column. However, I go further than just looking at percentages. They get Green Bay on the road in Week 1. That is huge, seeing the Packers will be playing their first game without Brett Favre. They are retiring Favre’s number. Rodgers is going to be as nervous as he ever will be. What better time to play Green Bay on the road and potentially steal an early season divisional win on the road?

Second, they will not be playing any cold games. Here is their schedule for November and December: 9) Houston, 10) Green Bay, 11) at Tampa Bay, 12) at Jacksonville, 13) Chicago, 14) at Detroit, 15) at Arizona, 16) Atlanta, 17) NY Giants. That is huge for a team that traditionally does not play well in the elements.

Third, they don’t really have any stretches where they play multiple impossible games. I really like them to do well from Week 13-16. That is when teams are making their playoff push. Week 1 and 2 at Green Bay and at home against Indy will be tough. They play Green Bay, at Tampa Bay, and at Jacksonville in Week 10-12. Green Bay and Tampa Bay are two teams that many people will not pick to repeat in the playoffs this season. If that is your worst stretch of games, then things aren’t too bad.

While the numbers suggest that Minnesota has a tough schedule, the retirement of Brett Favre is not factored into that. Take out Green Bay’s record and the Vikings opponents have a winning percentage of .513, which is much more manageable. While the Vikings didn’t get a gift from the NFL, it isn’t nearly as bad as you might think. The Vikings set up well to take an up for grab NFC North if they can survive the tough slate of AFC South games.

twoseven
05-06-2008, 03:45 AM
Second, they will not be playing any cold games. Here is their schedule for November and December: 9) Houston, 10) Green Bay, 11) at Tampa Bay, 12) at Jacksonville, 13) Chicago, 14) at Detroit, 15) at Arizona, 16) Atlanta, 17) NY Giants. That is huge for a team that traditionally does not play well in the elements.
Local MN sports minds tout this same nugget as a big plus and I totally disagree.

The Vikings strengths are running the ball and defending the run. Until they show differently, their weaknesses are throwing the ball and defending the pass..so tell me how NOT playing in cold weather is somehow a big plus for them, aside from the obvious they are a dome team. I say this team is built to dominate in cold weather and I am glad they'll be facing teams that won't be hampered by the temperature and can air it out against that MN secondary all year long in non-frigid conditions.

Jared Allen and Berrian's addition, while a good/great improvement, isn't going to all of a sudden completely erase the fact that MN was third from last in passing in NFC (5th from last in NFL) and dead last in defending the pass in the NFC (and NFL) last year.

But when you factor in the potential for Childress to make a Booty Call, well, that makes me nervous..

Gunakor
05-06-2008, 04:00 AM
I'm not too overly concerned. Last year we opened up the season playing 3 2006 playoff teams in a row. 2 of those teams went on to thier respective 2007 Conference Championship games, one of which won the Super Bowl. We won all three of those games to start the season, and then beat several more playoff teams down the road.

True enough we lost Brett Favre, and I'm not trying to downplay the impact that will have on the 2008 season. But at least on paper anyway we have gotten significantly better in other areas like WR and TE, so I don't think the dropoff in production from the QB position will be as bad as some make it seem.

Specifically, none of the NFC South teams scare me one bit. Only 2 inter-conference opponents have me worried, those being Indianapolis and Jacksonville. Our division rivals don't scare me at all either, but I'm sure we'll find a way to give one to Chicago like we have always found a way to do recently. That leaves Dallas and Seattle, and Seattle we should beat. So, if we finish 5-1 in division games, 2-2 in inter-conference play, 4-0 against the NFC South, beat Seattle and lose to Dallas... that's 12-4. We are NFC North Champions once again, and again are hosting at least one playoff game. Not to shabby for year 1 AF.

Kiwon
05-06-2008, 04:08 AM
With the tough schedule that the Packers are facing they better hope that they don't have any significant losses on defense, particularly at cornerback.

If A-Rod gets off to a slow start it could be a very long season if the defense falters.

2008 will be A-Rod's baptism by fire. I guess we will find out pretty quick how mentally and physically tough he really is.

packinpatland
05-06-2008, 07:32 AM
I find this the most unsettling. :evil:

"1) New England Patriots – It must be pretty nice to be coming off a 16-0 regular season and not only get the 7th pick in the draft, but get the league’s easiest schedule at .387. Part of that is due to the 1-15 Dolphins and 4-12 NY Jets residing in their division. Still, here are there first 4 opponents: 1) Kansas City. 2) at NY Jets, 3) Miami, 4) Bye, 5) at San Francisco.

The only time they play 2007 playoff opponents in back to back weeks are Pittsburgh and Seattle in Weeks 13 and 14. There are only 4 playoff opponents out of 16 on their schedule. That is the minimum a team that finished in 1st place can play the following season. I’m sure the NY Jets will be better and that there will be some surprises on their schedule. However, considering the season the Patriots had and the changes they are making on defense, they got a very favorable schedule. It is easy not only in terms of overall quality, but the lack of quality they play in the first 5 weeks of the season while those new parts become acclimated to the Patriot’s way."

Zool
05-06-2008, 07:41 AM
2 games outside the set schedule. Those 2 games, you play 1 home and 1 away game against teams with a similar record to yours from the previous season.

Everything else has been pretty much predetermined. Only thing to determine is the date and which games are home or away. This whole tough schedule thing is ridiculous. Its very 1999.

red
05-06-2008, 07:44 AM
yeah, lets reward the pats for cheating their asses off the last 5 years

and since they almost went undefeated last year, we should make sure that this year that task is easier for them

this is just bs

and honestly, i think this guy is really stretching it by saying the queens have it easy. you don't dig into a schedule like this guy did to try and make it look weaker, you could do the same thing for every team and come out with ranking that are all over the place

plus, its not like it matters, maybe this year all the playoff teams from last year suck, maybe all the sucky team that sucked the place up last season become good? we won't know till this time next year if the schedule was easy or difficult

Packnut
05-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Schedules mean nothing. The tougher the schedule, the better prepared a team will be in the play-offs.

Cheesehead Craig
05-06-2008, 09:14 AM
2 games outside the set schedule. Those 2 games, you play 1 home and 1 away game against teams with a similar record to yours from the previous season.

Everything else has been pretty much predetermined. Only thing to determine is the date and which games are home or away. This whole tough schedule thing is ridiculous. Its very 1999.
Yep, don't see how 2 teams that have virtually the same schedule can be labeled as one having a hard sched and the other a good one.

As for the Pats, of course their sched is weak. Look at their division for heaven's sake. that's over 1/3 of their games. Add in that they happen to get the NFC West (shitty division) by happenstance and there you go. Easy schedule.

Joemailman
05-06-2008, 09:30 AM
The schedule talk is annual nonsense. Last year some people here were preaching doom and gloom because the Packers were opening with Philly at home, at N.Y. Giants, San Diego at home, at Minnesota, and home vs. Chicago. Then we were mad we blew the game to the Bears to prevent a 5-0 start. If you're an elite team, the schedule doesn't matter. If you're an average team hoping to grab that last playoff spot, it might matter.

packers11
05-06-2008, 09:32 AM
The schedule talk is annual nonsense. Last year some people here were preaching doom and gloom because the Packers were opening with Philly at home, at N.Y. Giants, San Diego at home, at Minnesota, and home vs. Chicago. Then we were mad we blew the game to the Bears to prevent a 5-0 start. If you're an elite team, the schedule doesn't matter. If you're an average team hoping to grab that last playoff spot, it might matter.

Couldn't have said it any better...

SUPER BOWL HERE WE COME!!! :lol:

Merlin
05-06-2008, 09:46 AM
This is the NFL's way of creating parody. Before the division realignment teams that were crappy were supposed to get better by playing the the bottom feeders of the league from the previous season. The good teams from the previous season played the good teams from the previous season. That is how strength of schedule should be determined.

The way it is now can back fire as it did with this season and the Patriots. They should be playing the second toughest schedule in the NFL behind the Giants. The Giants are in a tough division as it is, not like the Patriots who are arguably in the worst division in the NFL based off of 2007.

DonHutson
05-06-2008, 11:31 AM
If you were playing last year's versions of these teams, with your team from last year, and the games were scheduled to be played last year - then last year's records might tell you how hard you're schedule is.

Since that's not the case, it's all pretty meaningless. If you're good, you'll beat whoever they put in front of you.

Bossman641
05-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I know there's nothing that can be done about it, and that the schedules are set up way in advance, and only 2 games each year are really chosen, but it still pisses me off about the Patriots. They play in the weakest division in football, and they get to play the NFC West this year, probably the second or third weakest division in football.

I know things change from year to year, but our schedule really does look like a beast this year. I'm still pissed about Dallas and Indy. Why do we seem to get Detroit at home late in the year every season? Why not make Dallas or Indy come here in the cold and snow?

Lurker64
05-06-2008, 11:50 AM
The Pats also play the AFC West which has three of the worst teams in football in addition to San Diego.

Bossman641
05-06-2008, 12:10 PM
The Pats also play the AFC West which has three of the worst teams in football in addition to San Diego.

Yes, this is true as well. The Broncos should be a little better this year, but I'm not expecting much from the Chiefs (rebuilding) or Raiders (suck).

swede
05-06-2008, 12:12 PM

QFT

The only story here is that some good teams have the advantage of playing in weak divisions, and differences in strength of schedule are a consequence of that and the prearranged scheduling criteria. No conspiracy here folks.

The Pack will just have to cowboy up and beat good teams, like Dallas and Indy, when the time comes.

Patler
05-06-2008, 12:26 PM
What does it matter? I couldn't care less who NE or any AFC team plays. I barely care who any other NFC team plays. All that really matters is winning the NFC North. The Packers have proven that home field in the playoffs means little to them anymore.

The way I look at the schedule:

The Packers play Dallas and Seattle.
The Bears play Philadelphia and St. Louis.
The Vikings play Arizona and the NY Giants.
The Lions play San Francisco and Washington.

Otherwise the schedules are the same, except for home and away schedules against common opponents. Win the games in the Division, do at least as well as the Bears, Vikings and Lions against the common opponents and the Packers should win the division.

The only real objective is to get into the playoffs, and the schedule has little to do with that because in your division the schedules are not much different. If the division comes down to the Packers and Vikings, there is not much difference between Dallas and NYG, so the schedule difference comes down to Seattle and Arizona.

BF4MVP
05-06-2008, 12:55 PM
I've stopped buying into the "tough schedule" crap...

We don't know how good the Packers are going to be and we don't know how good those teams they play are going to be..Everyone (except me, but I'm always optimistic 8-) ) thought last year's schedule would be impossible and look how that turned out..

MadScientist
05-06-2008, 03:13 PM
The only real objective is to get into the playoffs, and the schedule has little to do with that because in your division the schedules are not much different. If the division comes down to the Packers and Vikings, there is not much difference between Dallas and NYG, so the schedule difference comes down to Seattle and Arizona.
It also affects the odds of getting a first round bye / HFA. On paper that schedule looks set up to give the Pats the HFA, but they didn't have any problem last year when they were up against tougher AFC and NFC divisions.

Patler
05-06-2008, 04:01 PM
It also affects the odds of getting a first round bye / HFA. On paper that schedule looks set up to give the Pats the HFA, but they didn't have any problem last year when they were up against tougher AFC and NFC divisions.

As I wrote in my original post, home field advantage has seemingly meant little to the Packers in recent years, so I don't worry too much about it. It seems to be less and less significant generally. Besides, home field advantage is important only with respect to your own conference, so why should Packer fans care if NE has home field advantage through the playoffs?

If you win your division, which should be the immediate goal, your chances of a bye are 2/4 anyway. Lucky bounces during the year will probably have more of an impact on that than the schedule played.

As others have mentioned, it is surprising how many games that in May look to be tough ones turn out to be less than expected, and vice versa.

Gunakor
05-06-2008, 04:31 PM

Yeah, but the Packers play better on the road nowadays than they do at home. So HFA doesn't matter a whole lot. In any case, don't worry about the Patriots. Green Bay would not play New England until the Super Bowl should they meet at all. Whether or not the Pats get HFA in the AFC has no bearing whatsoever on the Packers playoff seeding. And I'll say it now like I did in January, I actually HOPE that the Pats make the Super Bowl so they can lose to another inferior NFC opponent and make themselves look silly on the biggest stage in sports.

Guiness
05-06-2008, 04:33 PM
As I wrote in my original post, home field advantage has seemingly meant little to the Packers in recent years, so I don't worry too much about it.

So true :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hard to believe how short a time ago that we were considered almost un-defeatable at home. Sure, we're as tough as any other top team's home field, but no more so, it seems.

As others have mentioned, it is surprising how many games that in May look to be tough ones turn out to be less than expected, and vice versa.

True...to a point. But without looking, I'm betting that more than half the teams that made the playoffs in '06 went there again in '07. Top teams are up there year after year. If you ask me now if Pittsburgh or Arizona is going to be an easier opponent in 2012, I'm taking Arizona. Every year there are a couple of surprises in each direction, but that's just it - they're surprises.

Joemailman
05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
In 2007 there were 13 teams whose win total from 2006 changed by 4 or more games (a considerable change, in my opinion) either up or down. Here's the list:

NE +4
BUF --
NYJ -6
MIA -5
PIT +2
CLE +6
CIN -1
BAL -8
IND +1
JAC +3
TEN +2
HOU +2
SD -3
DEN -2
OAK +2
KC -5
DAL +4
NYG +2
WAS +4
PHI -2
GB +5
MIN +2
CHI -6
DET +4
TB +5
NO -3
CAR -1
ATL -3
SEA +1
ARI +3
SF -2
STL -5

b bulldog
05-06-2008, 09:06 PM
In todays NFL, the thing that really matters is when you are playing your opponent, not what they did last season or how they should do this season. The Chargers and the second Giants game from this past season is a great example of this.

MJZiggy
05-06-2008, 09:31 PM
What does it matter? I couldn't care less who NE or any AFC team plays. I barely care who any other NFC team plays. All that really matters is winning the NFC North. The Packers have proven that home field in the playoffs means little to them anymore.

The way I look at the schedule:

The Packers play Dallas and Seattle.
The Bears play Philadelphia and St. Louis.
The Vikings play Arizona and the NY Giants.
The Lions play San Francisco and Washington.

Otherwise the schedules are the same, except for home and away schedules against common opponents. Win the games in the Division, do at least as well as the Bears, Vikings and Lions against the common opponents and the Packers should win the division.

Well Seattle is MUCH tougher than Arizona!! :P

Patler
05-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Well Seattle is MUCH tougher than Arizona!! :P

But Seattle has a lame-duck, has-been for a coach! :)

3irty1
05-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter much who you play, it matters much more where you play. Playing on the road for a few weeks in a row can make a team look flat. Although the Packers and Giants had amazing years on the road. For teams to get crazy better over the course of a year it takes staying healthy and young players stepping up and blossoming. Or of course a monster weapon like Randy Moss. But the Packers are still the youngest team and therefore should have the roster that improves the most over the course of the season. Last year lots of guys stepped up for us to get a special season. Look for that again.

As for the queens.... McCarthy is a convincing 4 - 0 against Childress. Barring the crazy stuff like injuries and god awful luck I expect for our domination over the Vikings to continue.

On the other side. I'm going to flip out if we lose to the Bears at home again this year!!!!