PDA

View Full Version : Joe Theisman vs. Ricky Williams re: Toronto Argonauts

motife
06-03-2006, 09:36 AM
(not about the Pack, but I think this is a hoot. The egomaniac vs. the Rastafarian regarding the honor of the Toronto Argonauts.)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/They+Said+It/2006/said053106.htm

Former Washington Redskins and Toronto Argonauts QB Joe Theismann, telling Toronto radio station The Fan 590 (and with the quote running in The Globe and Mail) that the Argos shouldn’t have signed former Dolphins RB Ricky Williams: “This is a feeble excuse for the Toronto Argonauts to sell tickets, and I'm embarrassed to have worn the 'A' on my helmet. It shows classlessness in the organization.”

More Theismann on Williams, a four-time violator of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy: “He has insulted professional football players. He has insulted the game of professional football. He has been suspended by the National Football League; he doesn't want to play. He's going to a place where his value will be limited.”

Williams, quoted in the Toronto Star about Theismann’s remarks: “Every time (Theismann) says something here's what happens: He says a remark about me that's offensive, then when he has to do one of our games, he comes up to me and apologizes and says, ‘I'm sorry.’ ”

Argonauts head coach Mike “Pinballâ € Clemons, giving the Star his take on Theismann’s remarks: “You don't have to agree with someone to respect them. I respect (Theismann) as a person. (But) I'm very comfortable with my decision. I'm very proud as a Toronto Argonaut. And I don't care if Joe Theismann is standing here or the prime minister … I'm not ashamed.”

Scott Campbell
06-03-2006, 09:45 AM
I think Ricky would like Theisman to chill out.

red
06-03-2006, 09:50 AM
i think they should both be lined up and shot

do the nfl fans a favor

Harlan Huckleby
06-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Theisman could not be more full of shit.

Ricky Williams smoked weed. So now is he supposed to lock himself in a room somewhere for a few years to atone for his crimes against humanity?

Theisman is a damn fool.

Scott Campbell
06-03-2006, 10:52 AM

Ricky Williams smoked weed. So now is he supposed to lock himself in a room somewhere for a few years to atone for his crimes against humanity?

Theisman is a damn fool.

True enough. Theisman must have been pretty hard up for a soap box to get up on.

KYPack
06-03-2006, 10:53 AM

(snip)Theisman is a damn fool.

I truly hate both of these assholes.

Harlan Huckleby
06-03-2006, 10:56 AM
HArlan Huckleby & Joe Theisman?

Partial
06-03-2006, 02:01 PM
He does bring up a good point. If you want to be an NFL player, you have to follow the NFL rules. Ricky Williams hasn't done that and keeps showing he is not mature enough to handle the rules. He's a terrible role model and being in the spotlight is only making matters worse. Hate this whole situation for the message it gives to young sports fans.

edit - thats why I love shaq, he is such a great role model whenever he gets on the microphone!

KYPack
06-03-2006, 09:12 PM

(snip)Theisman is a damn fool.

I truly hate both of these assholes.

Nah H.

Ganga Ricky and big mouth Joe.

Got a trivia question for ya H,

Which Pro Football team has two Heisman Trophy winners & who are they?

Harlan Huckleby
06-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I smell a trick question. Answer must be Tornoto Argonauts.

Harlan Huckleby
06-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Eric Crouch, eh.

Two Badgers play for Argonauts, Donald Hayes and Dave Costa. Not a bad deal, get to live in a beautiful city, avoid getting a real job for a couple years.

KYPack
06-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Eric Crouch, eh.

Two Badgers play for Argonauts, Donald Hayes and Dave Costa. Not a bad deal, get to live in a beautiful city, avoid getting a real job for a couple years.

You are correct, oh Blue Balled One.

Yeah Eric Crouch the former sorta Packer. The stones on that guy, insisting he play QB for a team with Favre on it?

I love Toronto. Went to see the Packers play the Bills there in that Old "International" exhibition they used (still?) to have. Skydome is beautiful. Everybody cheers when they open or shut the roof.

Guiness
06-05-2006, 08:38 AM
You're right KY - the Rogers Center (yes, formerly the SkyDome) is a great building. Once of the best, most functional retracting roofs around. That's why I'm always confused by these new northern climate open air stadiums - not so much for football, but for baseball. It's not like it would be a gamble to go with a retractable roof - just buy the plans off Toronto. Here are a couple of facts:

# 100% of the field and 91% of the seating area is exposed with the roof open
# open/close time - 20 minutes (71 feet or 21 metres per minute)

BTW the International Center is an exhibition hall on the same grounds as the old Exhibition Stadium, the Mistake by the Lake. It was supposed to be a soccer stadium.

Guiness
06-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Here's the line on the Argo's Heisman winners:

Williams
4 rushes for 7 yds
no receptions

Crouch
1 rush for 21 yds (it's first because it's better than his passing line)
4 attempts, 1 completion for 7 yds
2 sacks for a total of 8 yds lost

Crouch is competing for the 3rd QB spot, and likely won't make it. It's kind of funny - the Argo's QB is Damon Allen, who's 43, won the league MVP award last year. So Crouch has about as much chance of getting the starting QB job here as he did in GB :razz:

KYPack
06-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Here's the line on the Argo's Heisman winners:

Williams
4 rushes for 7 yds
no receptions

Crouch
1 rush for 21 yds (it's first because it's better than his passing line)
4 attempts, 1 completion for 7 yds
2 sacks for a total of 8 yds lost

Crouch is competing for the 3rd QB spot, and likely won't make it. It's kind of funny - the Argo's QB is Damon Allen, who's 43, won the league MVP award last year. So Crouch has about as much chance of getting the starting QB job here as he did in GB :razz:

I've never considered Crouch pro material NFLthat is. He might've been an OK CFL QB if he went out for it right out of Nebraska

I think Ricky has lost whatever heart he had for the game. Last year, I saw him get drilled in a game and he never came back to play hard after that. The leagus would like to see him go away & I think he will do just that, fade away to an opium den someplace.

woodbuck27
06-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Allen injured in Argos win

17/06/2006 9:21:28 PM

Star running back Ricky Williams enjoyed a winning CFL debut Saturday, but the victory came at a cost for the Toronto Argonauts.

Quarterback Spergon Wynn tossed two touchdowns in relief of injured Argos starter Damon Allen. Quarterback ** Damon Allen, last season's CFL outstanding player, broke the middle finger on his right hand during Toronto's first drive in a 27-17 Argos victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Rogers Centre.

** Note woodbuck27: Damon Allen now 43 years old, is the brother of NFL HOFer RB Marcus Allen. Damon Allen has been a huge success over a very long career and star player in the CFL and the 2005 CFL MVP and MVP of the 2004 Grey Cup Champion Toronto Argonauts .

Backup Spergon Wynn put in a gutsy effort in relief of Allen, tossing a pair of touchdowns, including a 26-yarder to Tony Miles on his first play, and throwing for 224 yards in the season-opening triumph.

"There's always a jolt of reality," Wynn said of Allen getting hurt on an innocent-looking play. "You never know what can happen. You're relaxed on the sideline and suddenly you're in."

[b]Williams rushed for just eight yards in the first half, but exploded for 89 yards in the second to finish with 97 yards on 18 carries.

( woodbuck27 - That rushing total included a 35 yard run through the left side of the line and down the left sideline before he was hauled to the turf.)

"Ricky did his job very well," Hamilton coach Greg Marshall said. "He's a load."

Many of 27,689 spectators in attendance roared every time Williams was able to find any open space to run.

"Even if I had 10 yards today and we won, then I did my job," Williams said. "It's easy to get caught up in personal [stuff] but if you have individual players on your team, then you're not going to win.

"Just me being here, my presence, really opened up a lot of things for us and helped us get the win."

But Allen's injury overshadowed Williams's debut. The veteran quarterback, who turns 43 next month, sustained the fracture during a late hit by Tiger-Cats safety Wayne Shaw, who was penalized on the play.

"Four to six weeks is the initial diagnosis," said Toronto head coach Mike (Pinball) Clemons when asked how long Allen would be out. "But you look at Spergon and the way he played, that's why we went out looking for a guy who can come in and do the kind of things you need your No. 2, now No. 1, quarterback to do."

Arland Bruce III scored Toronto's other touchdown to give the Argos some insurance.

Bruce hauled in a 30-yard pass from Wynn at 9:09 of the second quarter to put the Argos ahead 15-8 before kicker Noel Prefontaine booted a 12-yard field goal with 17 seconds remaining in the half to make it 18-8 Toronto.

All of the second-half points came courtesy of the kickers, with Prefontaine booting three field goals and Hamilton's Jamie Boreham booting a field goal and a single.

Julian Radlein scored Hamilton's touchdown in the first quarter.

from Canadian Press and Associated Press