PDA

View Full Version : Packers cut K-Rob!

swede
05-09-2008, 03:49 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/05/09/agent-robinson-to-be-cut.aspx

I guess the rumor had some truth to it, and TT has already filled WR positions 1-4.

swede
05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Aww, man.

This news is an hour old already. :(

Scott Campbell
05-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Aww, man.

LOL - I searched before almost doing the same thing.

Badgerinmaine
05-09-2008, 04:01 PM
He probably saw this coming with the two WRs taken in the draft...I hope he catches on somewhere else and that his recovery from alcoholism goes well.

GrnBay007
05-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Aww, man.

Stinks when you can't be the first one to come out with the big news.

Keep trying!! :D

Fosco33
05-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm surprised that we didn't keep him through training camp - to get into shape and get more experience with the plays.

Ultimately - this is an effect of Favre retiring - Krob was his boy and I would have seen this happen awhile ago if Favre wasn't keeping him around.

And if he had been more impressive last half of last year - he'd still be around...

DonHutson
05-09-2008, 05:13 PM
And if he had been more impressive last half of last year - he'd still be around...

There's your real answer.

texaspackerbacker
05-09-2008, 05:18 PM
So much for that. I had hopes that the reports his injury wasn't gonna get any better were exaggerated, and he might come back better than last year, I guess not, though.

Or maybe the Packers have advance word on some behavioral regression about to come out in the news.

I will decline to wish him (or anybody else) going to another team good luck. It's all about the Packers.

I think this solidifies Ruvell Martin's status. If Swain is good they keep six WRs; If not, they keep five.

Packers4Ever
05-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Aww, man.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Same here, Swede, I just heard it on Milwaukee's FOX network and thought I might be first at 6 P.M. hahahaha !!
Well, we all figured it would be coming, no big surprise there. TT can afford to choose here and there from the roster now!
And that's a very good thing! :D

Harlan Huckleby
05-09-2008, 06:18 PM
I won't be surprised if he finds a roster spot somewhere.

But maybe he is just done in NFL, he was less explosive last year than in his glory days.

oregonpackfan
05-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Good luck to the guy, be it in football or making it in the non-football world.

Tony Oday
05-09-2008, 07:00 PM
I think this sucked...I mean give the guy a chance in camp WTF. but anyway TT is smarter than me in football so I agree then :) hehe

Good luck K Rob I hope you stay off the booze.

the_idle_threat
05-09-2008, 07:07 PM
*flush*

BallHawk
05-09-2008, 07:09 PM
At least TT makes the move now to give the young guys some more chances in camp.

Best of luck to K-Rob. Hope he catches on with another team and does well.

sheepshead
05-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Kennedy shot?

Nixon Resigns?

BlueBrewer
05-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Next Stop-Bengals :lol:

KYPack
05-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Guess that story Fritz talked about KRob's bad knee was the real deal.

Wish him well.

TT really likes to see the young guys get reps.

Rastak
05-09-2008, 09:46 PM
I think this sucked...I mean give the guy a chance in camp WTF. but anyway TT is smarter than me in football so I agree then :) hehe

Good luck K Rob I hope you stay off the booze.

Tony, we agree on this one.

Rastak
05-09-2008, 09:47 PM
So much for that. I had hopes that the reports his injury wasn't gonna get any better were exaggerated, and he might come back better than last year, I guess not, though.

Or maybe the Packers have advance word on some behavioral regression about to come out in the news.

I will decline to wish him (or anybody else) going to another team good luck. It's all about the Packers.

I think this solidifies Ruvell Martin's status. If Swain is good they keep six WRs; If not, they keep five.

You do realize these are actual people, right?

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Can't say that I'm surprised or disappointed, but I wish him the best of luck--especially off-the-field. That's much more important than whether he can regain his form on the football field.

CaliforniaCheez
05-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm surprised that we didn't keep him through training camp - to get into shape and get more experience with the plays.

Ted has spoken on this several times including when William Henderson was cut.

Ted when he was a player put everything into it and made the team through the final cuts. Then during the week after the final cuts he was released. He was out of football after all that effort.

Ted said he felt badly about what happened to him, so for good veterans he cuts them early as a kindness to them rather than have them face what happened to him.

I have complained that he let value go out the door with such cuts but now I understand it really is a kindness to veterans. Ted doesn't want to lie to them. If they are going to work, sweat, and get ready it ought to be where they have a chance to make it.

I thought last year Ruvell Martin should have gotten more snaps and Robinson less. If it was going to happen why not let it hppen early.

The Leaper
05-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Not all that surprising...I'm guessing Thompson is hoping to keep 5 WRs on the final roster and have a couple on the practice squad in case of injury. KRob isn't a guy you can stash on the practice squad.

Kiwon
05-10-2008, 01:49 AM
Robinson will make it with some team. Better to be let go now then late into training camp.

LL2
05-10-2008, 07:29 AM
After reading the JSO article it looks like their are a couple teams interested, so he probably will play 1-2 more years in the league. There are a few teams that could use receivers and he could very well be a 2 or 3 receiver on a few teams.

Packnut
05-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Obvious move. No production, no play. Kudos to Teddy for getting this one right!

BallHawk
05-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Obvious move. No production, no play. Kudos to Teddy for getting this one right!

Something happened to you and I can't put my finger on it. But something strange definitely happened to you. This isn't Packnut.

GrnBay007
05-10-2008, 08:57 AM

Something happened to you and I can't put my finger on it. But something strange definitely happened to you. This isn't Packnut.

One of those chics in his avatar got to him. :P

Packnut
05-10-2008, 09:16 AM

One of those chics in his avatar got to him. :P

IN MY DREAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cpk1994
05-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Obvious move. No production, no play. Kudos to Teddy for getting this one right!By that logic, Ruvell Martin should be released as well. Moronic move by TT. Should have at least given KRob a chance in camp.

Packnut
05-10-2008, 09:26 AM

Nope same as always. It's just to some here, ANY criticism againt TT get's one labled as a Thompson basher and then they went on to promote that view of me and others bought into it.

I still have my problems with Teddy. I find it amusing that he's building up an arsenal for HIS guy, but left Favre hanging out in the wind. At this point in time, his evaluations of offensive linemen leave much to be desired. Collins is a bust plain and simple.

That said, Teddy's batting above .500 and has us going in the right direction. Before last season, I stated if we improved upon the previous season, then he deserved an extension. I've always been fair IMO with Teddy, it's a few others here who are GOOFY! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Packnut
05-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Obvious move. No production, no play. Kudos to Teddy for getting this one right!By that logic, Ruvell Martin should be released as well. Moronic move by TT. Should have at least given KRob a chance in camp.

I agree about Ruvell. Martin did have a good season, but the drop in the Giants game soured me on him. I'm all for any move that will get Nelson more reps. I'm telling ya, this guy is a freakin STUD! He'll make Martin and K-Rob look like garbage............

Carolina_Packer
05-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I have to say I was a little surprised by this move. What does it do to strengthen the team? Of course, there are things that go on behind the scenes that we'll never know about, so I'm sure it wasn't a random decision. This opens the door more for Jordy Nelson to walk through, plus the Pack has a bunch of receivers. With the investment and time that the team put into Robinson, it just surprises me that they wouldn't try and get more out of him by giving him more time to show his wares at this point.

I have heard everyone's feelings about the move so far, but I haven't heard anyone guess as to why the move was made. Does TT not think KR can still contribute to the offense? We had him on the field for such a short time, I'm just surprised they didn't take another flyer this year in camp.

Lurker64
05-10-2008, 10:49 AM
According to Robinson's agent, Thompson had contacted Robinson and told him that he would likely be on the bubble for this year during training camp, and asked if he would like to be traded/released. No trade could be worked out, so Robinson was released.

It was really just a polite move by Thompson to tell Robinson at this stage in the game that he's unlikely to make the team, as opposed to letting him work his butt off in training camp and then cutting him in the first week of the season when it's a lot harder for him to find a job.

This might have been slightly worse for the Packers in terms of "talent" and "winning football games" but it was certainly a classy and appropriate gesture.

Patler
05-10-2008, 11:34 AM
I have heard everyone's feelings about the move so far, but I haven't heard anyone guess as to why the move was made. Does TT not think KR can still contribute to the offense? We had him on the field for such a short time, I'm just surprised they didn't take another flyer this year in camp.

First, the Packers have much too many receivers right now, and some will go before training camp anyway. Some were signed just to have enough WRs available to work two rookie QBs at the rookie weekend last week. To give both QBs reasonable opportunities, you need a lot of guys running routes.

Then the questions are, why Robinson and why now?

Why Robinson? - Lots of reasons that combined for the decision to let Robinson go, I think. In my opinion, TT figured Robinson would be behind Driver, Jennings, Jones and Nelson. Do you really want a former 1st round pick battling for the 5th spot with younger guys who might develop? I think not. Robinson has a one year contract, does he really fit into plans for the future? With his knee problems he might require time off from practices, which would be extremely detrimental with an inexperienced Rodgers and two rookies behind him. Robinson really became the odd man out with guys like Martin, Swain and maybe some others for the 5th spot.

Why now? - TT has been very upfront with veterans who are in danger of losing their spots. He has said several times that for a veteran who is good enough to play, but doesn't fit into the Packers plans, the fair thing to do is to let them go early so they have a chance to find a spot with another team. He has said that several times in cuts before training camp, and in the first cuts during camp. Cutting Robinson now will allow him to find a team and spend the off season camps and training camp with them.

I think the move was both reasoned and fair to the team and Robinson. The Packers really had nothing invested in Robinson, and his value in a trade was negligible.

Tarlam!
05-10-2008, 11:41 AM
(...)I find it amusing that he's building up an arsenal for HIS guy, but left Favre hanging out in the wind.(...)

The problem I have is that ths is one hell of an accusation with no way to really provide any proof. If i can in any way appraise what you have said, you are simply speculating. You are providing an opinion and nothing more. I uttely disagree with the opinion, but, you are entitled to it.

Patler
05-10-2008, 12:21 PM
(...)I find it amusing that he's building up an arsenal for HIS guy, but left Favre hanging out in the wind.(...)

The problem I have is that ths is one hell of an accusation with no way to really provide any proof. If i can in any way appraise what you have said, you are simply speculating. You are providing an opinion and nothing more. I uttely disagree with the opinion, but, you are entitled to it.

In my opinion, the conclusion is wrong.

TT did nothing different this year than he did every other draft since he came. He has drafted a WR high every year, and another receiver lower in the draft:

2005 - Murphy and Bragg
2006 - Jennings and Rodgers (granted, Rodger was more of a returner)
2007 - Jones and Clowney
2008 - Nelson and Swain.

Swain may prove to be nothing more than Bragg, Rodgers and Clowney. All were considered good picks with potential, but not sure things.

So how is he doing anything more for Rodgers than he did for Favre? What we are seeing is the accumulated effect of his efforts. Coupled with Murphy's unfortunate career-ending injury, and Walker's injury and desires to get out, it only seems like TT has done more recently. In fact, he has been very consistent in trying to upgrade the WR group.

He has brought in TEs continually, by draft (Finley and Harris) and by free agent signings who were thought to have potential (Lee, Humphrey, Alcorn, Cross). His efforts have been continuous.

The complaint seems to be based on TT's inability to replace half the roster with very good players in a single season. Rodgers may have more to work with than Favre did, but it is because Favre dealt with the accumulated effect of Sherman as a GM and Rodgers is dealing with the accumulated effect of TT as a GM.

DonHutson
05-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Well said, Patler.

packers11
05-10-2008, 01:53 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may08/koren09b.jpg

Good Luck K-Rob... I'm glad Favre helped the process of him getting back in line, and hopefully he can stay that way...

RashanGary
05-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Well said, Patler.

I agree.