PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Packer "Make You Tear Your Hair Out" Team

Joemailman
05-09-2008, 05:46 PM
These could be the worst players you remember, or players who made you tear your hair out because a lot was invested in them, or any other reason you want to come up with. I don't have a complete team here, so please add your own.

QB Jerry Tagge
RB Darrell Thompson
FB Barty Smith
WR Robert Ferguson, Frankie Neal
TE
C
G Will Whitticker
OT Tony Mandarich, John Michels
DT Cletidus Hunt, James Lee
DE Jamal Reynolds
LB Mark D'Onofrio
S
CB Ahmad Carroll, Terrell Buckley
K Max Zendejas
P B.J. Sander

RashanGary
05-09-2008, 05:59 PM
That's a Sherman dominated list right there.

packers11
05-09-2008, 06:01 PM
S - Manuel ... He was awful...

WR - Taco Wallace

The Shadow
05-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Michael Haddix.
Slow, puffy, awful.

CaliforniaCheez
05-09-2008, 06:13 PM
TE - Tyrone Davis
DE - Joe Johnson

Bretsky
05-09-2008, 06:14 PM
QB TJ Rubley
RB Darrell Thompson
FB Barty Smith
WR Robert Ferguson
WR Bill Schroeder
TE David Martin
C ??
G Will Whitticker
G Orange Juice Coston
OT Tony Mandarich
OT John Michels
DT Cletidus Hunt,
DT Gabe Wilkins
DE Jamal Reynolds
DE ??

LB Mark D'Onofrio
LB Torrence Marshall
S Marquand Manuel
CB Ahmad Carroll
CB Estus Hood
K Tom Birney
P B.J. Sander

oregonpackfan
05-09-2008, 06:27 PM
WR Bill Schroeder often received my wrath. The guy had excellent size and speed but was as dumb as a fence post. He ran the wrong route too many times.

HarveyWallbangers
05-09-2008, 08:16 PM
You can't have this team, and not have Brent Fullwood on it.

KYPack
05-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Mossy Cade

Bretsky
05-09-2008, 09:46 PM
You can't have this team, and not have Brent Fullwood on it.

Very true

Bretsky
05-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Mossy Cade

Mosey Cade showed a lot of natural ability and wasn't that bad.....until we lost him to the clinker

MJZiggy
05-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Mossy Cade

Mosey Cade showed a lot of natural ability and wasn't that bad.....until we lost him to the clinker

Yes, well, he lost a little speed after that...

Badgerinmaine
05-10-2008, 06:16 AM
You have got to have Estus Hood on this roster! He was the most aggravating defensive back I have ever seen. My dad would get so annoyed with him that every time he saw him appear on TV, he called him Useless Hood. :P Very good man, very bad player.
The 1970s were full of aggravating players. Remember Barry (not to be confused with Barty) Smith? 1st round pick at WR and couldn't catch a cold. He was gone in three years. And for how little he delivered in comparison to what the Pack gave up to get him, John Hadl is my QB on this team. For kickers, just about anyone you want from the era right before Chester Marcol would do. Booth Lustig? Dale Livingston? Man, they had some dreadful kickers between Don Chandler and Marcol.

KYPack
05-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Mossy Cade

He had a rough time running the 40 in his cell.

TE Ben (Hands of) Steele

Scott Campbell
05-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Who was that 6'3" DB we had a few years back?

red
05-10-2008, 09:47 AM
QB TJ Rubley
RB Darrell Thompson
FB Barty Smith
WR Robert Ferguson
WR Bill Schroeder
TE David Martin
C ??
G Will Whitticker
G Orange Juice Coston
OT Tony Mandarich
OT John Michels
DT Cletidus Hunt,
DT Gabe Wilkins
DE Jamal Reynolds
DE ??

LB Mark D'Onofrio
LB Torrence Marshall
S Marquand Manuel
CB Ahmad Carroll
CB Estus Hood
K Tom Birney
P B.J. Sander

i got one for you,

KGB on running plays and passing plays when he doesn't get the sack. if he doesn't get the sack he's usually miles away from the qb

sure made me pull out my hair

qb- the young brett favre. he could make some great plays, but made he could also drive you insane

Lurker64
05-10-2008, 09:47 AM

TE Ben (Hands of) Steele

Steele recovered that one fumble against the purple a couple years ago which was likely responsible for us winning the game. I can't really hate him, he wasn't great but he did at least one great thing.

It's like how I will hate T.J. Rubley forever for his "audible".

green_bowl_packer
05-10-2008, 10:15 AM

Mike Hawkins? He only played 11 games with us (must have sucked hard to have gained consideration). Now of the Vikings at least that's what wikipedia says.

packers11
05-10-2008, 10:20 AM
TE David Martin

What did he do to piss you off? :lol: ... The last image I have of him was that nice catch in the end zone vs the dolphins two years ago...

He was average, but I would never scream about him...

packers11
05-10-2008, 10:21 AM
THIS WILL NEVER GET OLD!!!

34 games played with the Green Bay Packers
28 games in which Carroll started
33 total penalty flags thrown against Carroll
26 penalties called for coverage violations such as pass interference, illegal contact, and holding
256 penalty yards enforced as a result of 24 infractions that were not declined or offset by another penalty
11 touchdowns Carroll allowed in coverage
3 interceptions by Carroll

Carroll is known around the league by the nicknames "Grabby Smurf," for his tendency to commit illegal contact penalties and by the name "Highway 28," in the sense that opposing receivers speed past him into the end zone.

Scott Campbell
05-10-2008, 10:34 AM

Mike Hawkins? He only played 11 games with us (must have sucked hard to have gained consideration). Now of the Vikings at least that's what wikipedia says.

Yeah, that's him. Boy did he ever suck.

Iron Mike
05-10-2008, 11:27 AM
DE ??

Gabe Wilkins. If that pussy had manned up and didn't pull himself out of the game in SB XXXII, Darius Holland wouldn't have been allowed to let Terrel Davis run roughshod over the Packer D and we would be a perfect 4-0 in Super Bowls. :(

DonHutson
05-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Tear Your Hair Out Team (1979-present):

QB - Brett Favre (love the guy, but nobody made me crazier over the years)
RB - Eddie Lee Ivery (not his fault, but what a waste of talent)
RB - Brent Fullwood (entirely his fault, what a waste of a top 10 pick)
RB - Barry Sanders (because he could've been ours)
WR - Sterling Sharpe (love the guy as a player, but this is for his surly attitude toward fans and media and his day before the season hold out threat)
WR - Javon Walker (million dollar talent, ten cent head)
TE - Mark Chmura (dude... seriously...)
OL - Tony Mandarich (how'd those 'roids work out? here's a microscope, go look for your balls)
OL - Earl Dotson (love the guy, but he was offsides at least once per week... I know he had a hearing thing, but still...)
OL - Larry McCarren (for stiffing me for an autograph when I was eight)

DL - Joe Johnson (at least pretend you give a shit)
DL - Cletidus Hunt (Chong to Johnson's Cheech)
LB - Torrance Marshall (maybe the dumbest Packer ever)
LB - Derrick Thomas (see Barry Sanders, f*cking Tony Mandarich... :evil: )
CB - Terrell Buckley (see Brent Fullwood AND Javon Walker)
CB - Ahmad Carroll (you gotta admire his conviction, he wasn't going to let anyone tell him he couldn't put his hands in someone's face)
S - Darren Sharper (he made the good list for his playmaking, he makes this list for his "tackling" and for his patented end zone INT returns to the 3 yard line)
S - Nick Collins (hey Nick, when people call you Iron Man, they're only talking about your hands)

Iron Mike
05-10-2008, 11:39 AM
RB - Eddie Lee Ivery (not his fault, but what a waste of talent)

I was thinking the same thing......just when it seemed like we'd be able to compete with Da Bears, he'd go down AGAIN!!! :roll:

cpk1994
05-10-2008, 11:52 AM
DE ??

Gabe Wilkins. If that pussy had manned up and didn't pull himself out of the game in SB XXXII, Darius Holland wouldn't have been allowed to let Terrel Davis run roughshod over the Packer D and we would be a perfect 4-0 in Super Bowls. :(Or if Holmgren had gone with Paul Frase on the active list instead of Holland.

hoosier
05-10-2008, 01:11 PM

Yeah, that's him. Boy did he ever suck.

I think you mean Michael Hawthorne, the guy who got abused serially during Slowick's great adventure.

chain_gang
05-10-2008, 02:16 PM
QB- Anthony Dilweg- Just terrible, so terrible he's unforgettable
RB- Paul Ott Carruth- Damn 80's, 3 yrs in Green Bay, at least he has a career passer rating of 118.3, that's the only positive I can think of
FB- Nick Luchey- should have been a devastating lead blocker, instead just a devastating lead blocker in the buffet line at old country buffet
WR- Walter Stanley- Very athletic, fast receiver/kick returner, thought he could turn into something special after hauling in 35 passes for over 720 yards (almost 21yds a catch) as a rookie, but just turned into a big let down. Actually one of bigger disappointments for me personally.
WR- Corey Bradford- Another wideout that had some great abilities. With his size, speed, and his jump ball skills, I thought he'd be able to become a dominating wideout. In his second year(1999) he put up some good numbers, and looked to be the next breakout player for the Packers in 2000, but injuries derailed that idea, and 1999 turned out to be his most productive season as a Packer.
TE- David Martin- Every summer it seemed to be the same thing, David Martin has a ton of potential that hasn't been seen yet, due to injuries, and every year it ended the same, David Martin injured. It's true he did have some ability, and I remember the few times he was healthy he looked alright, but he could never live up to expectations, due to his injuries, almost bi-weekly it seemed.
C- Mike Wellman- Drafted by the L.A. Rams in the third round in the 1979 draft, and traded that same year to Green Bay for a 5th rounder in the 1980 draft, should have been a sign there, played in 20 games for Green Bay including starting 16 in his rookie year, only 4 the following year. Wellman then finished up his last pro football season in 1981 with the Kansas City Chiefs.
G- Daryn Colledge- The thing that drives me nuts about Colledge is that he has a ton of ability, and shows flashes of that every few games, but then has terrible one's in between, and the complete whiffs on some blocks that make you wonder, if the light will ever completely go on for him.
G- Junius Coston- He's almost like a David Martin Ver2.0, is one of the most athletic linemen Green Bay has, but can't beat the injury bug. The Good thing about Colledge and himself, is that they still have time to turn it around.
OT- Tony Mandarich- everyone knows his story.
OT- John Michels- Man injuries are a killer, A great rookie year and lots of promise, but Career was cut short due to injuries, I had high hopes for him
DT- Cletidus Hunt- Enough said
DT- Don Davey- I'm a Wisconsin homer, so I was excited when Green Bay drafted him, and he had a pretty productive career in college. It didn't really translate over into the pro's and ended up being a disappointment, notching a total of 1.5 career sacks in 4 seasons in Green Bay.
DE- Jamal Reynolds- I really want to forget about this guy
DE- Joe Johnson- Turned out to be probably Green Bay's worse signing ever in Free Agency
LB- Abdul Hodge- I was pretty excited when he was drafted too, having followed his college career pretty close, he was touted as the steal of the draft, well now I kind of wish someone stole the steal, before we stole the steal.
LB- Hardy Nickerson- I know he was on his last legs, but I was hoping we could get one more solid season out of him, we didn't, end of story.
LB- Brian Williams- A very good player, before the injuries started to mount. I remember him being touted as one of the top LB's in the game. 3 very good seasons, and not a terrible player by any stretch, I thought he could be one of cornerstones on defense for years, but injuries derailed that fantasy
CB- Terrell Buckley- He couldn't live up to his own hype, he did have a long career, and was a respectable nickelback, but you don't draft a Number 3 corner #5 in the draft, we could have had Troy Vincent. I blame Don Davey for this, if Don Davey turns out to be a player Troy Vincent spends his career in Green and Gold. :)
CB- Ahmad Carroll- The corners are the easiest part of this whole list for me.
S - Nick Collins- He has some of the worst hands I've seen in a safety. He has plenty of chances to be a playmaker, but he can't catch the damn ball.
K- Brett Conway- Almost as big of a waste as the next guy on my list. One good thing did come out of the Brett Conway fiasco, Ryan Longwell
P- B.J. Sander- Don't draft kicker or a punter in the 3rd round. It doesn't work. See Above. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Bretsky
05-10-2008, 02:26 PM
HONORABLE MENTION GOES TO

FRANKIE NEAL---WR

Anybody ever know what happened to this WR ?

He looked like he had tons of potential his first year and all of a sudden he was out of the league.

Somebody told me he did something bad and ended up in the clinker but I never really verified anything

DonHutson
05-10-2008, 02:32 PM
FRANKIE NEAL---WR

He looked like he had tons of potential his first year and all of a sudden he was out of the league.

Maybe we need an 'All Flash in the Pan Team.'

I nominate Tom Flynn, the rookie S with the 9 INT's who sank like a rock soon thereafter.

MJZiggy
05-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Robert Ferguson.

Badgerinmaine
05-11-2008, 08:24 AM

FRANKIE NEAL---WR

Somebody told me he did something bad and ended up in the clinker but I never really verified anything
Couldn't find anything online about where he went, but all the football reference sites say his only NFL action was in '87 for Green Bay.

There is an online letters forum I found on Packers.com interviewing Lee Remmell, and someone asked why he'd been cut. Here's the exchange:

Frankie Neal seemed to have a decent rookie season for the Pack in 1987. Why was he cut the next year? Thanks - John (Superior, WI)

(Remmell) ...On the subject of Frankie Neal, John Dorsey, the Packers' current scouting director and a teammate of Neal in 1987, says of him and the reasons for his termination from the Green Bay roster in 1988, "Frankie Neal had a lot of talent but he was a classic underachiever. He did not have good work habits-and he did not approach the game in a professional manner."

motife
05-11-2008, 09:37 AM
here are some of the worst "starting" players of the post Lombardi era, players who were the starters that year :

WR Jack Clancy
TE John Hilton

QB Scott Hunter
WR John Spilis
SS Al Randolph

WR Leland Glass
TE Len Garrett

QB Scott Hunter/Jerry Taggee
WR Barry Smith
WR Jon Staggers
WR Leland Glass

QB Jerry Taggee
WR Barry Smith
WR Jon Staggers

1975 RB Willard Harrell
WR Steve Odom
WR Barry Smith
WR Ken Payne
RG Pat Matson
LLB Gary Weaver
LLB Tom Toner

RB Willard Harrell
RB Barty Smith
RB Eric Torkelson
WR Steve Odom
WR Ken Payne
LLB Gary Weaver
MLB Don Hanson

RB Eric Torkelson
RB Barty Smith
WR Steve Odom
WR Ollie Smith
LG Steve Knutson
LG Dennis Havig
RDE Bob Barber
LLB Tom Toner

FB Barty Smith

RB Eric Torkelson
RB Barty Smith
DT Earl Edwards
DE Bob Barber

LOLB Jim Gueno
LILB Ed ONeil
LILB Kurt Allerman
PK Tom Birney

RB Harlan Huckleby
NT Terry Jones
DE Casey Merrill

DE Byron Braggs
NT Charles Johnson
NT Richard Turner
LILB Randy Scott

DE Donnie Humphrey
LILB Randy Scott
FS Tom Flynn

Badgerinmaine
05-11-2008, 09:43 AM
I hadn't remembered Steve Odom or Kenny Payne as being that bad. Then again, maybe thy just looked okay to me because the rest of the team was so awful back then. 8-)

woodbuck27
05-11-2008, 11:49 AM
QB TJ Rubley
RB Darrell Thompson
FB Barty Smith
WR Robert Ferguson
WR Bill Schroeder
TE David Martin
C ??
G Will Whitticker
G Orange Juice Coston
OT Tony Mandarich
OT John Michels
DT Cletidus Hunt,
DT Gabe Wilkins
DE Jamal Reynolds
DE ??

LB Mark D'Onofrio
LB Torrence Marshall
S Marquand Manuel
CB Ahmad Carroll
CB Estus Hood
K Tom Birney
P B.J. Sander

i got one for you,

KGB on running plays and passing plays when he doesn't get the sack. if he doesn't get the sack he's usually miles away from the qb

sure made me pull out my hair

qb- the young brett favre. he could make some great plays, but made he could also drive you insane

Yup Favre was really a head smasher Vs the Boys.

Too many Ohh my GOD!! Noooo's.

Running right . . . side line pass . . . PICK!!

PACKERS FOREVER!

Harlan Huckleby
05-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Cletidus Hunt takes the cake for most frustrating because he really was an up-and-comer his contract year.

That big goon Darrel Washington, the man-mountain defensive tackle who got a lot press and no push should be on the list.

Running backs who are really fast, but not so hot at avoiding tackles are another source of instant hair loss. You want them to break free because you know there'll be a good gain. Darrell Thompson is the prototype. De'Mond Parker, Lashon Johnson. Maybe Bradon Jackson is next in the tradition.

bobblehead
05-11-2008, 11:00 PM
OK, I got some good ideas from others, so I'm gonna pair it down to my personal dislikes:

QB: TJ Rubley...just hand the ball off

RB: Eddie Lee Ivory....wish he had stayed healthy
RB: Travis Jervy...I was fooled into thinking he might be special

WR: Robert Ferguson...what happened to him after that one great playoff game.
WR: Javon Walker and his father in law..."He makes favre look good by catching all those jump balls" (he may have been right but some opinions you keep to yourself)

TE: David Martin...this year for sure!!!

T: Mandarich...how can he not be on the list.
T: Ross Verba...I met the guy; grade A ass

G: Will Whitaker...he really didn't belong, but he was a warm body
G: ?
C: ?

S: Collins...sick of hearing about potential, TT has to give up on him.
S: Sharper...A lot of talk, but man he blew more assignments than a vietcong hooker.

CB: Jerry "Toast" Holmes...my lasting image is of him chasing a reciever.
CB: Terell Buckly...you know, the next deion.

LB: Wayne Simmons...A beast who couldn't stay out of Holmgrens doghouse.
LB: Brian Williams...was headed for great things but injuries got him.

DT: Grady Jackson...Stud, wanted respect without actually working hard.
DT: Charles Martin...didn't make me pull my hair out, but needs mention for the McMahon thing.

DE: Joe Johnson...yea, lets sign an aging vet with injury problems
DE: Jamal Reynolds...Another sherman Gem.

Well, thats my list.

Fritz
05-12-2008, 08:37 AM

TE Ben (Hands of) Steele

Steele recovered that one fumble against the purple a couple years ago which was likely responsible for us winning the game. I can't really hate him, he wasn't great but he did at least one great thing.

It's like how I will hate T.J. Rubley forever for his "audible".

Actually Lurker, wasn't that Ferguson?

I vote for John Hadl, though it wasn't his fault. He was laready over the hill, the and Packers basically traded away a half a decade's worth of draft picks to get him.

Antuan/Antwan Edwards - Ron Wolf picked some first round stinkers in his time. Like John Michels, too. And Jamaal Reynolds.

Tony Mandarich has to be on this team. And every defensive player from those early 80's Lynn Dickey teams.

Add Bawoh Jue. Marques Anderson. Ahmad Carroll to the list.

Oh, wait. Just put down "every defensive back ever drafted by Mike Sherman."

Fritz
05-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Cletidus Hunt takes the cake for most frustrating because he really was an up-and-comer his contract year.

That big goon Darrel Washington, the man-mountain defensive tackle who got a lot press and no push should be on the list.

Running backs who are really fast, but not so hot at avoiding tackles are another source of instant hair loss. You want them to break free because you know there'll be a good gain. Darrell Thompson is the prototype. De'Mond Parker, Lashon Johnson. Maybe Bradon Jackson is next in the tradition.

Don't forget Travis Jervey, then, Blue Dog.

Partial
05-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Neon Mike, the most physically talented corner since Prime Time!! :lol:

NewsBruin
05-12-2008, 11:40 AM
RB: Travis Jervy...I was fooled into thinking he might be special

Well, we've not have a Packer before or since get in trouble for buying and keeping a lion at his house.

Scott Campbell
05-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Look at motiffe's post, and notice how long we stuck with crappy players like Barty Smith back in the day. Maybe that's why Ted likes bringing in so much new talent every year.

privatepacker
05-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Wasn't Barty Smith the fullback from Richmond? He got hurt in the all-star game between the rookies and Bears in the pre-season. Healthy, the guy was a beast but I didn't even remember him playing at all after his injury.

Patler
05-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Barty Smith is the 18th leading rusher in Packer history, and the #14 Packer running back in combined rushing and receiving yards.

Now to put some perspective in those rankings, he had less than 2,000 career yards rushing and less than 3,000 career yards combined rushing and receiving. Longevity (7 years) can do a lot for your ranking!

KYPack
05-12-2008, 02:50 PM
here are some of the worst "starting" players of the post Lombardi era, players who were the starters that year :

1975 RB Willard Harrell
WR Steve Odom
WR Barry Smith
WR Ken Payne
RG Pat Matson
LLB Gary Weaver
LLB Tom Toner

RB Willard Harrell
RB Barty Smith
RB Eric Torkelson
WR Steve Odom
WR Ken Payne
LLB Gary Weaver
MLB Don Hanson

Ken Payne was actually a pretty good hand for a couple years. He was the team's leading receiver for those two years and was a decent player, not a bust, per se.

He was released for "insubordination" in early '77. Starr made a number of very questionable personnel move that year & cutting Ken Payne was one of 'em.

Joemailman
05-12-2008, 04:10 PM

FRANKIE NEAL---WR

My recollection is that he showed up at training camp his 2nd year considerably overweight and was shortly finished.

MadScientist
05-13-2008, 04:22 PM
There's got to be some (non) love here for Jude Waddy. I remember comments that he was dumb as a post. I also remember thinking that Torrence Marshall was going to be the second coming of Jude Waddy, which proved to be correct.

The only thing good to say about him was that his screw-ups after replacing Williams probably cost the Packers the playoffs, which allowed Wolf to can Ray Rhodes.

SnakeLH2006
05-14-2008, 03:58 AM
Who can forget Perry Kemp. I saw many games in Lambeau as a youngsta seeing Kemp lose many a game. 1991 vs. Cool Joe Montana who threw for 440 yards....Kemp (hands of Rock) fumbled the ball of a Makowski pass that led to a 24-20 Packer loss. That dude had the worst hands EVER for a WR. At least Joe signed my 1979 Fleer rookie card that I sold on Ebay a couple years ago for $800 cuz my hot sister made him come over to us and sign it with a picture. Damn Kemp sucked tho. Put him up there.