PDA

View Full Version : Favre to Fox?

Brando19
05-11-2008, 11:48 AM
http://gnb.scout.com/2/753973.html

It appears that former Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre may be on a televsion set on game days this fall instead of the field. Former Dallas Cowboys coach Barry Switzer recently indicated as much to RanchReport.com's Mike Fisher.
Switzer was on FOX's studio show last year, pairing him as a "Grumpy Old Man" with longtime friend/nemesis Jimmy Johnson. But Switzer told Fisher on Friday that while the network is still negotiating with him about a role, FOX may replace him on its totem pole with another legendary name.

"Well, they’re talking to Favre," said Switzer at Oklahoma University Honorary Degree luncheon on the school’s campus. "I still think they want me involved in some way. But with Brett. ... they might pair him in a segment with (Terry) Bradshaw, I don’t know. ... It’s a lot of fun for me, but there’s only so much time (available) on that show. And, hey, he’s Brett Favre!"

Since officially announcing his retirement, Favre has indirectly indicated that he may consider returning to play football. He has always downplayed any future role in television after his football career, but that may soon change for the future Hall of Famer.

Stay tuned!

KYPack
05-11-2008, 02:13 PM
It would have to be some kind of non-traditional role. I can't see Brett in a suit on a panel of idiots, fer instance.

The right producer could come up with the greatest show in TV history. I'd put Brett on an HBO type show and let him turn it loose. That would be great. How about Brett with William henderson?

Gunakor
05-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't see Brett coming back to do TV. Not this year anyway. If football were his greatest passion - meaning even moreso than his lawn and his tree stand and his tractor and most of all his family - why would he have retired knowing he can still play? I would think that Favre will want to just stay home and do the things he hasn't been able to do for 17 falls and winters. I mean, I had just assumed that was his whole reason for retiring as a player in the first place...

oregonpackfan
05-11-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't see Brett coming back to do TV. Not this year anyway. If football were his greatest passion - meaning even moreso than his lawn and his tree stand and his tractor and most of all his family - why would he have retired knowing he can still play? I would think that Favre will want to just stay home and do the things he hasn't been able to do for 17 falls and winters. I mean, I had just assumed that was his whole reason for retiring as a player in the first place...

As much as I admire Brett Favre as a player and a man, I just don't see him fitting in as an announcer or a "color commentator." He does not have the verbal fluency skills to fill that role. Perhaps with a voice and/or speech coach, he might develop those skills.

LL2
05-11-2008, 08:27 PM

As much as I admire Brett Favre as a player and a man, I just don't see him fitting in as an announcer or a "color commentator." He does not have the verbal fluency skills to fill that role. Perhaps with a voice and/or speech coach, he might develop those skills.

I agree, but many would probably like his "aw shucks" demeanor.

MJZiggy
05-11-2008, 08:30 PM
I think they'd put up with it, I just wonder because he's so long winded sometimes...

texaspackerbacker
05-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I think he would be perfectly competent, both intellectually and as a speaker. However, he probably wouldn't be flamboyant like Bradshaw and others--more like boring to the bulk of the audience--which is the only semi-serious fans.

He talks in a matter-of-fact way, and is often overly impressionable--giving kind of a weak yes answer regardless of the question. We saw that so many times when his retirement was being discussed. It wasn't deception, so much as it was an aim-to-please-type attitude. That won't fly on the pre-game shows, where the people are expected to make some kind of a bold, even outrageous statement and then argue his position.

Favre would just make some bland statement, and if confronted, he'd just say, "yeah, you're probably right".

VegasPackFan
05-12-2008, 02:22 AM
I think you are all confusing his demeanor towards the press vs what his personality could be as a member of a studio team.

For anyone that his heard the sideline/huddle/pre-game quips from NFL Films. the guy has a great sense of humor, and is pretty quick-witted. He has been the poster child of the NFL for many years. This would be a good move.

MJZiggy
05-12-2008, 05:57 AM
True, but many of his quips are not fit to be aired... :oops:

Kiwon
05-12-2008, 06:14 AM
True, but many of his quips are not fit to be aired... :oops:

But he can pass gas with the best of 'em.

Scott Campbell
05-12-2008, 08:03 AM
I don't think he's TV material.

The Leaper
05-12-2008, 08:53 AM
I think TV will eventually intrigue Favre, but I don't think he'll be interested in doing it full time immediately.

To be honest, he'd be the perfect fit for Madden and Michaels. Michaels is the premier play-by-play guy, and Madden talks enough that Favre wouldn't have to say much...but Favre could add the insights to the game that Madden just doesn't have anymore, and Michaels is good enough to be able to get those insights out of Favre.

I don't think Fox would be a good fit for Favre at all.

Jimx29
05-12-2008, 12:16 PM
I've heard that he's looking at buying some property in Minnesoda. He figures that now he's retired he wants to get as far away from professional football as possible.

Zool
05-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I've heard that he's looking at buying some property in Minnesoda. He figures that now he's retired he wants to get as far away from professional football as possible.

heyooooooohh

swede
05-12-2008, 03:26 PM
I agree with those who've said he doesn't fit the typical mold of the Network guys wearing suits behind a big shiny mega-desk.

I thought his Monday morning quarterback commercial was priceless--if anybody can youtube link it I'd appreciate it--and I think he has a knack for selling that kind of material. Better to let him be what he is, a pretty funny guy. Let him go fishing with LaDanian and give us 3 and a half minutes of an edited blend of funny, fishing , and football during the lead-up to game day.

Or the idea of an HBO show was pretty good; the demographics are about right. If he'd replace Bill Maher I'd even spend the cash to subscribe. Hell, Packer nation would never miss an episode of Down on the Farm with Brett Favre. This week Brett drives his tractor to the courthouse and landscapes over the County Commisioner's reserved parking place. Hilarity ensues,

the_idle_threat
05-12-2008, 06:54 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

woodbuck27
05-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Favre would look best in any tongue and cheek stuff but not anything too serious in terms of analysis. How many are really great anyway?

Toss him in there but I'd rather see him play again.

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2008, 09:00 PM

I think he's boring in interviews (mainly because it seems like he's careful about what he says), but he's darn good when he lets his hair down. Have you seen some of those clips where he's talking about Hasselbeck, for example? I think he'd loosen up and be pretty good. It will have to be the right fit though.

MadtownPacker
05-12-2008, 09:46 PM
A great fit? NFL Network with Mariucci. I think he is friends with Deion and Faulk too.

Scott Campbell
05-13-2008, 08:30 AM

I think he's boring in interviews (mainly because it seems like he's careful about what he says), but he's darn good when he lets his hair down. Have you seen some of those clips where he's talking about Hasselbeck, for example? I think he'd loosen up and be pretty good. It will have to be the right fit though.

His commentary reminds me of Joe Montana's a little bit. Joe was awesome interview as a player, but they put that sportscasters jacket on him and he just tightened up and got uncomfortable. Brett on Letterman reminded me of Joe.