PDA

View Full Version : GB vs KC

HarveyWallbangers
05-11-2008, 03:54 PM
It's on NFL Channel right now for those that have the NFL Channel and are interested.

Partial
05-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I watched Adrian Peterson destroy the Chargers earlier. Man, Peterson is such a stud. The way he runs is just incredible. I cannot believe people around here have put McFadden into the same sentence!! Peterson and Sidney Rice scare me.

cpk1994
05-11-2008, 06:36 PM
I watched Adrian Peterson destroy the Chargers earlier. Man, Peterson is such a stud. The way he runs is just incredible. I cannot believe people around here have put McFadden into the same sentence!! Peterson and Sidney Rice scare me.Peterson doesn't scare me. The Packers stopped him both times last year and they will again this year.

RashanGary
05-11-2008, 06:40 PM
I listened to Vikes GM Rick Spielman on ESPN radio with John Clayton. He said he thinks is defense is going to be equally strong against the run and play the pass better with the upgrade at DE.

He said it's going to be harder for teams to focus on AP with the threat of Barrian getting behind defenses.

He made some solid points. He reminded me of a quality poster here at packerrats. He had all of these ideas of how everythign was going to work and wasn't shy about making predictions. It's very different from the TT/MM routine "We think he's a good player" "We hope he fits in well with our guys" "You never know until they are out there". . . . . It's definitly more fun to have a big mouth GM. I'd rather have one that speaks softly and carries a big stick though.

texaspackerbacker
05-11-2008, 06:49 PM
It does no good for the Packers or Packers fans to deny the goodness of our division rivals.

Peterson is one helluva running back. True, the Packers did stop him both times last season, and hopefully will again this year, but he is the kind of runner who is a threat to go all the way on every carry--even against very good defenses. I get the same feeling about Peterson that I used to about Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders.

The Vikings have had a lot of the pieces of the puzzle the last few years, but just haven't been able to put it altogether. This year, they seem to have everything except a quality QB. If somebody emerges for them at QB, then they are right there as an elite team with the Packers and a very few others.

oregonpackfan
05-11-2008, 07:01 PM
If I recall, Peterson did have one very long run against the Packers though he did not score.

I agree that Peterson is a very talented NFL back. If he stays healthy, he will be a force for years to come.

McFadden is a very talented college running back. Whether or not he will be as successful his first year in the NFL as Peterson remains to be seen.

BooHoo
05-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Let's hope that they don't find a quality QB for some time.

BZnDallas
05-11-2008, 07:56 PM
i might have to disagree with the fact that we stopped AP twice last year... i think we stopped him once and if my memory serves me correctly Childress stopped him the other time... didn't AP have over 100 yards at the half and BC stopped using him in the second half in one of those games?... just a thought... hes a damn good running back, and i don't think mcfadden can hold a candle to him... he has to prove it first i guess is what i'm trying to say... just one mans opinion! 8-)

cpk1994
05-11-2008, 08:08 PM
i might have to disagree with the fact that we stopped AP twice last year... i think we stopped him once and if my memory serves me correctly Childress stopped him the other time... didn't AP have over 100 yards at the half and BC stopped using him in the second half in one of those games?... just a thought... hes a damn good running back, and i don't think mcfadden can hold a candle to him... he has to prove it first i guess is what i'm trying to say... just one mans opinion! 8-)Petersen did have 110 yds in the first half of the game at the dome, but the majority of that total was the result of a 60+ yard run. And the Vikes GM better realize that Berrian getting behind the defense doesn't matter if your QB blows. And Jackson hasn't shown anything other than that so far.

Patler
05-11-2008, 09:39 PM
The Packers did not stop Peterson, Childress did. His carries in the first game by quarter:
1st - 0, 8, 4, 10
2nd - 9, 5, 4, 5, 55, 8
3rd - 2, 2
4th - No Carries

Second game, by quarter:
1st - 5, 0, 12, 0, 4, 11, 4
2nd - 11, (-2)
3rd - 3, 0
4th - No Carries

packers11
05-11-2008, 09:52 PM
ummm back on topic about the gb vs kc game... how perfect was that last bomb to jennings...

Favre on his back foot with someone in his face... boy am I going to miss that...

Lurker64
05-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Second game, by quarter:
2nd - 11, (-2)
3rd - 3, 0
4th - No Carries

If I recall correctly, one of the reasons Peterson had so few carries in the first half of that game was that the Vikings offense was tremendously poor in the first half (and second half) of that game and ran very few offensive plays. Some credit for this has to go to the Green Bay defense.

Zool
05-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Second game, by quarter:
2nd - 11, (-2)
3rd - 3, 0
4th - No Carries

If I recall correctly, one of the reasons Peterson had so few carries in the first half of that game was that the Vikings offense was tremendously poor in the first half (and second half) of that game and ran very few offensive plays. Some credit for this has to go to the Green Bay defense.

Also, the second game was where Harris got low and Peterson went high and hyperextended his knee. Didnt play pretty much the entire second half.

The Leaper
05-12-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't think McFadden compares to AP...but I do think McFadden was the best back in this draft. However, we may never know since he went to the black hole of Oakland. Few offensive playmakers have been able to make a name for themselves there in the last three decades.

Partial
05-12-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't think McFadden compares to AP...but I do think McFadden was the best back in this draft. However, we may never know since he went to the black hole of Oakland. Few offensive playmakers have been able to make a name for themselves there in the last three decades.

Tell that to Jerry Rice, Rich Gannon, Tim Brown, etc.

Gunakor
05-12-2008, 05:47 PM
I watched Adrian Peterson destroy the Chargers earlier. Man, Peterson is such a stud. The way he runs is just incredible. I cannot believe people around here have put McFadden into the same sentence!! Peterson and Sidney Rice scare me.Peterson doesn't scare me. The Packers stopped him both times last year and they will again this year.

Aside from the game where Childress pulled him at halftime, wasn't he injured early in the other one on a hit by Al Harris? I don't remember him having a great day up to that point, but seeing as how AP is a home run hitter...

RashanGary
05-12-2008, 05:53 PM
If a guy is going to run that upright, I think you have to stick to your fundementals, keep your pads low and tackle low. If a guy wants to stand high, he should recognize that tackling is done at a lower level and he's probably not going to last. I'll be interested to see if AP can last in the NFL running the way he does and if he changes is running style he might last longer but will he be as effective? He's definitly a high risk player. Super high upside, but that high running style usually spells a short career.

denverYooper
05-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Tell that to Jerry Rice, Rich Gannon, Tim Brown, etc.

Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson weren't too shabby, either.

Zool
05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Willie Gault, George Blanda, Fred Biletnikoff, Eric Dickerson, James Lofton.

The Leaper
05-13-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm talking about players who made their names in the 80s, 90s and 00s.

Marcus Allen and Tim Brown are the 2 names that really come to mind...long productive careers in Oakland. Rich Gannon can be added to the list as well, even if his career in Oakland wasn't lengthy.

Bo Jackson was famous and very talented, but he was a better baseball player than football player...or maybe more dedicated baseball player I suppose. Less than 3,000 career yards and just 1 Pro Bowl nod.

Eric Dickerson, Jerry Rice, James Lofton and Willie Gault did not make their names in Oakland, and really did not produce at an elite level for any signifcant time while in Oakland. Try again.

Blanda? Biletnikoff? Last 3 decades? Really?

Tyrone Bigguns
05-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm talking about players who made their names in the 80s, 90s and 00s.

Marcus Allen and Tim Brown are the 2 names that really come to mind...long productive careers in Oakland. Rich Gannon can be added to the list as well, even if his career in Oakland wasn't lengthy.

Bo Jackson was famous and very talented, but he was a better baseball player than football player...or maybe more dedicated baseball player I suppose. Less than 3,000 career yards and just 1 Pro Bowl nod.

Eric Dickerson, Jerry Rice, James Lofton and Willie Gault did not make their names in Oakland, and really did not produce at an elite level for any signifcant time while in Oakland. Try again.

Blanda? Biletnikoff? Last 3 decades? Really?

This is kinda poor on your part. You create a criteria about making their name on the raiders, but fail to acknowledge that is quite hard to do with free agency...very few players are going to stay with the same team.

They had one of the best TEs in the game in Christensen.

Hostetler was a very good QB.

As for running backs..if you get one good one a decade you are doing well. So, in the 80s that was Allen. However, they have had plenty of players subsequently who had good seasons..but, aren't HOF.

Under Gruden in the 90s you can't expect a rusher to have huge numbers..that isn't what Gruden is about..he subs in a number of backs and throws the ball. But, clearly Garner was a superior back.

Kaufman and Wheatley also were 800 plus yard backs. Kaufman also was a good back. It isn't like they were trotting out Eric Torkelson or Barty Smith.

As for receivers...when you have a dominant receiver like Brown...kinda hard to have another dominant receiver. Very few teams ever get two great receivers...especially in the days of free agency...if you think you have the talent to be a #1 you are going to leave..witness Alvin Harper.

James Jetta and Jerry porter (headcase yes, but still good) were both good receivers. So was Fernandez.

The problem with the raiders has been coaching. Hard for any player to shine when you are going thru coaches like Hef goes thru girlfriends.