PDA

View Full Version : NFL CB Rankings

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2008, 02:00 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=408428

NFC rankings: cornerbacks
Sporting News

In the first installment of Sporting News' offseason position rankings, SN's correspondents break down the cornerbacks in the NFC.

1. Eagles. Lito Sheppard and offseason pickup Asante Samuel are supreme playmakers. Sheppard is every bit the ballhawk Samuel is, but injuries have limited him too often. Sheldon Brown is a punishing hitter.

2. Packers. Al Harris, 33, and Charles Woodson, 31, form perhaps the best press corner duo in the NFL, but they're getting old. Tramon Williams finished 2007 as the nickel; he is quick and tough but lacks size (5-11, 185).

3. Seahawks. Marcus Trufant is coming off a Pro Bowl season in which he led NFC corners in interceptions. Kelly Jennings was solid on the right side. Nickel back Jordan Babineaux's best trait is versatility.

4. Vikings. Antoine Winfield -- perhaps the NFL's best tackling corner -- and Cedric Griffin do a good job of pressing receivers. Charles Gordon might be the best cover guy among three players vying for the nickel job.

5. Cowboys. Terence Newman made the Pro Bowl last season but needs to intercept more passes. Anthony Henry knocks down balls with his long arms. If Pacman Jones is reinstated, he should excel in one-on-one coverage.

6. Panthers. Ken Lucas is underrated; he's a complete run/pass corner. Chris Gamble isn't much of a tackler but has pure cover ability. Nickel back Richard Marshall might eventually be the best of the group.

7. 49ers. Nate Clements covers the opponent's top receiver and isn't afraid to help in run support. Walt Harris' play dipped a bit last season, so the team drafted Reggie Smith with the hopes he can be a starter in the future.

8. Bears. Nathan Vasher is skilled in cover 2, and Charles Tillman is physical in press coverage and run support. Ricky Manning is an experienced nickel back but will be challenged by Trumaine McBride and Zackary Bowman.

9. Buccaneers. Rookie Aqib Talib gives the team a playmaker who is effective in man schemes. Ronde Barber is at his best working the slot on passing downs. Eugene Wilson and Phillip Buchanon are solid in man-to-man.

10. Redskins. Shawn Springs can cover one-on-one, press at the line or drop into a zone. Fred Smoot sometimes gives receivers too much cushion. Carlos Rogers is coming off a devastating knee injury.

11. Cardinals. Rod Hood and Eric Green are solid, but rookie Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie will challenge them for a job. Antrel Rolle was moved to safety but could return to his nickel slot, where he has had success.

12. Giants. Corey Webster was a revelation in the playoffs but must prove he can do it for the long haul. Aaron Ross is coming off a strong rookie year. Second-round pick Terrell Thomas is aggressive in press coverage.

13. Lions. The team made upgrades with the trade for Leigh Bodden, who is underrated, and the acquisition of free agent Brian Kelly, a Tampa 2 scheme veteran. Nickel back Travis Fisher is good in short zones.

14. Rams. The team lacks a difference-maker. Fakhir Brown is decent in coverage and is a sure tackler. Tye Hill has good speed but is undersized and injury-prone. Nickel back Ron Bartell must make better use of his size.

15. Saints. The team made marginal improvement at its weakest position by adding free agents Randall Gay and Aaron Glenn and drafting Tracy Porter. Gay and Porter will push starters Mike McKenzie and Jason David.

16. Falcons. The team's best starter is journeyman Von Hutchins, who is better suited to the slot. Chris Houston struggled as a rookie. The team drafted Chevis Jackson, but he doesn't have the speed to run with the fastest receivers.

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Top five NFC corners
1. Marcus Trufant, Seahawks
2. Asante Samuel, Eagles
3. Antoine Winfield, Vikings
4. Al Harris, Packers
5. Nate Clements, 49ers

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Personally, if I had to rank them (bases some off my own observations, but also researching several sources that I trust), I'd go with:

1. Philadelphia
2. Carolina
3. Green Bay
4. Chicago
5. Seattle
6. Minnesota
7. Dallas
8. Tampa Bay
9. San Francisco
10. NY Giants
11. Arizona
12. Washington
13. St. Louis
14. New Orleans
15. Atlanta
16. Detroit

I think the top 4 are solid. The next 5 are decent. The next 3 are adequate. The bottom 4 are poor.

My top 10 NFC corners would be (okay, it's 11 since I felt 11 guys deserved consideration):

1. Asante Samuel, Eagles
2. Marcus Trufant, Seahawks
3. Charles Woodson, Packers
4. Terrence Newman, Cowboys
5. Antoine Winfield, Vikings
6. Ken Lucas, Panthers
7. Nate Clements, 49ers
8. Al Harris, Packers
9. Nathan Vasher, Bears
10. Charles Tillman, Bears
11. Lito Sheppard, Eagles

Most underrated corner = Richard Marshall, Panthers. He's good enough to start for most teams. He probably should be starting over Chris Gamble.

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=408426

AFC rankings: cornerbacks

1. Raiders. Offseason pickup DeAngelo Hall and Nnamdi Asomugha give the team the best corner combo in the NFL. Asomugha, who had only one pick last year, will get more balls thrown into his area with Hall on the other side.

2. Chargers. Antonio Cromartie has big hands, long arms and outstanding speed. Quentin Jammer won't intercept many passes but is a sticky cover guy. First-round pick Antoine Cason will compete for the nickel job.

3. Broncos. Champ Bailey will be back to his old ballhawking ways if the line play improves. Dre' Bly has great ball skills but is vulnerable to double moves. Karl Paymah has good size and played with more discipline last year.

4. Colts. With their size (both are 6-0, 195) and physical style, Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden are ideal starters in coach Tony Dungy's scheme. Tim Jennings and Dante Hughes are promising options for the No. 3 job.

5. Jaguars. Offseason addition Drayton Florence is an aggressive player who is a plus in run support. Former Pro Bowler Rashean Mathis will return hungry after playing tentatively in 2007 because of a leg injury.

6. Ravens. When healthy, Chris McAlister, 30, and Samari Rolle, 31, are solid or better. They're aging but still have enough speed to run with receivers. Fabian Washington was acquired to provide insurance and to help in the nickel.

7. Bengals. Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall are strong enough to reroute receivers and fast enough to cover them deep. Hall does a better job of making plays on the ball. Former Pro Bowler Deltha O'Neal is the nickel back.

8. Titans. Cortland Finnegan is a physical player who holds his own in coverage. Nick Harper helps in run support and does a good job of making plays on the ball. Eric King and Reynaldo Hill are experienced backups.

9. Patriots. Ellis Hobbs, who's coming off two offseason surgeries, will start on the right. Free-agent pickup Fernando Bryant and rookie Terrence Wheatley will battle for the other job. Overall, the group lacks size.

10. Steelers. Deshea Townsend had a strong 2007, but he's 32 and will eventually wear down. Ike Taylor is steady but hasn't played up to his big contract. Bryant McFadden hasn't played well enough to win a starting job.

11. Jets. Darrelle Revis is a future Pro Bowler -- his coverage skills are excellent, and his ball skills are improving - but the other starting job is up for grabs. David Barrett could be cut, and Hank Poteat could be re-signed.

12. Bills. Rookie Leodis McKelvin will help immediately in the nickel and will eventually challenge Ashton Youboty for a starting job. Terrence McGee does a good job of recovering after receivers get separation.

13. Chiefs. Rookie Brandon Flowers brings life to a stale position. He will join Patrick Surtain, 31, who should be good for one more year. Tyron Brackenridge played well in the nickel as a rookie.

14. Texans. With Dunta Robinson out half the season, the Texans will struggle. Fred Bennett is big and physical . Free-agent pickup Jacques Reeves is a quick corner who will start until Robinson returns.

15. Browns. Young starters Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald should improve upon solid rookie years, and Daven Holly will be a plus in the nickel. But none is proven.

16. Dolphins. The team has confidence in Will Allen, but after him, there's a group of injury-plagued, inexperienced and undertalented guys. Andre Goodman and Travis Daniels are the top candidates to start opposite Allen.

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Top five AFC corners
1. Champ Bailey, Broncos
2. Antonio Cromartie, Chargers
3. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders
4. DeAngelo Hall, Raiders
5. Chris McAlister, Ravens

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2008, 02:26 PM
My AFC ranks:

1. Oakland
2. San Diego
3. Denver
4. Indianapolis
5. Jacksonville
6. Baltimore
7. Tennessee
8. Cincinnati
9. Pittsburgh
10. Buffalo
11. New England
12. NY Jets
13. Kansas City
14. Houston (would be a lot higher with a healthy Dunta Robinson)
15. Cleveland
16. Miami

Poor group in the AFC. Top 5 are solid. Next 2 are decent. The next 3 are adequate. The bottom 6 are poor.

My top 10 AFC corners:

1. Champ Bailey, Broncos
2. Antonio Cromartie, Chargers
3. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders
4. Rashean Mathis, Jaguars (he should bounce back)
5. Marlin Jackson, Colts
6. Kelvin Hayden, Colts
7. DeAngelo Hall, Raiders
8. Chris McAllister, Ravens
9. Cortland Finnegan, Titans
10. Quentin Jammer, Chargers
11. Dre' Bly, Broncos

Dunta Robinson would be in the top 10 if he were healthy.

Most underrated = Cortland Finnegan, Titans.

cheesner
05-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Did anyone else smile when they saw McKenzie as a part of the 2nd worst tandem?

DonHutson
05-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Giants low ranking coming off a Super Bowl win where they won with great defense lends support to those that think a great pass rush is more important than shut down corners.

Almost nowhere to go but down for the Pack. Hopefully Harris can keep it together in the big games this year.

HarveyWallbangers
05-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Giants low ranking coming off a Super Bowl win where they won with great defense lends support to those that think a great pass rush is more important than shut down corners.

Almost nowhere to go but down for the Pack. Hopefully Harris can keep it together in the big games this year.

I actually think the Giants corners aren't as bad as some think. The light seemed to go off for Corey Webster at some point last year, and he was pretty good. Aaron Ross had a very good rookie year. Sam Madison is a wily veteran.

3irty1
05-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Some of these rankings are like comparing apples and oranges. Al Harris and Winfield are totally role players. Winfield would get picked on worse than he already does playing in a scheme like ours and I'm sure Harris would look lost if he was asked to do what Winfield does.

HarveyWallbangers
05-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Some of these rankings are like comparing apples and oranges. Al Harris and Winfield are totally role players. Winfield would get picked on worse than he already does playing in a scheme like ours and I'm sure Harris would look lost if he was asked to do what Winfield does.

That's true. I guess you just have to judge how well each does in their scheme. I think that's part of the reason that I don't rate Winfield and Harris as highly as some others do. They are system's corners. There are some guys that I think can play well in any system, and I have them ranked higher. Just look at Woodson. I think he'd play much better than Al in other systems, so I have him ranked higher.

I was actually going to put Winfield at #7 in the NFC. Lucas had a bounce back year after a down 2006 season. Clements was solid, but not elite. I think both of those guys are less system's corners than Winfield is. I ranked Winfield #5 because I figured Rastak would accuse me of being a Vikings hater if I did that.
:D

3irty1
05-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Personally, if I had to rank them (bases some off my own observations, but also researching several sources that I trust), I'd go with:

1. Philadelphia
2. Carolina
3. Green Bay
4. Chicago
5. Seattle
6. Minnesota
7. Dallas
8. Tampa Bay
9. San Francisco
10. NY Giants
11. Arizona
12. Washington
13. St. Louis
14. New Orleans
15. Atlanta
16. Detroit

If only going on play from corners this is how my rankings would go:

1. Philadelphia
2. Green Bay
3. Seattle
4. Chicago
5. Carolina
6. Dallas
7. Tampa Bay
8. San Francisco
9. NY Giants
10. Washington
11. Minnesota
12. St. Louis
13. Arizona
14. New Orleans
15. Detroit
16. Atlanta

Guiness
05-14-2008, 01:18 PM
I find it interesting that we are always ranked as one of the top corner tandems, and either Harris or Woodson are ranked as a top CB, but it sometimes it's one, sometimes it's the other...almost like writers only want to rank one as top corners, but don't know which one it should be :?
Most seem to think Woodson had a better year in '07, but here's another writer ranking Harris and not Woodson. I guess he just looked at the pro bowl selection :roll:

Am I the only one who doesn't buy that Clements is an elite corner? I love his run support, but he get thrown at a LOT - he baits QB's to get INT's, but give up underneath stuff because of that.

cheesner - NO may be ranked low, but MM is still playing quite well. The team rank is bad because of David -

Patler
05-14-2008, 01:45 PM
cheesner - NO may be ranked low, but MM is still playing quite well. The team rank is bad because of David -

Is he? I never see them play, but I thought I read that McKenzie had a fairly poor season in 2007. In fact, I vaguely remember some mention of him possibly losing his starting spot. I could be thinking of someone else.

Guiness
05-14-2008, 02:19 PM

Is he? I never see them play, but I thought I read that McKenzie had a fairly poor season in 2007. In fact, I vaguely remember some mention of him possibly losing his starting spot. I could be thinking of someone else.

I thought he was ok, and his yard/pass were good. However, he tore his ACL, NO signed Terry Glen, and drafted DRC, so I would guess they're looking for a wholesale change!

Charles Woodson
05-14-2008, 02:28 PM

I thought he was ok, and his yard/pass were good. However, he tore his ACL, NO signed Terry Glen, and drafted DRC, so I would guess they're looking for a wholesale change!

New Orleans have had the offense the past few years to be good, but never the deffense. The past few years MM has been one of the only good players on the team.
Really quick dude, check your info next time because they didnt sign Terry Glen nor did they draft DRC

They signed Randall Gay formerly a Patriot for corner and also Aaron Glen from Jacksonville, and drafted Tracy porter in the 2nd round
They got Sedrick Ellis in the 1st round

HarveyWallbangers
05-14-2008, 02:43 PM
DRC went to Arizona.

Guiness
05-15-2008, 12:54 PM

New Orleans have had the offense the past few years to be good, but never the deffense. The past few years MM has been one of the only good players on the team.
Really quick dude, check your info next time because they didnt sign Terry Glen nor did they draft DRC

They signed Randall Gay formerly a Patriot for corner and also Aaron Glen from Jacksonville, and drafted Tracy porter in the 2nd round
They got Sedrick Ellis in the 1st round

yes - obviously meant Aaron Glen, not Terry Glen...all TG would do for their D is let them gain confidence after knocking him down in practice :lol:

Anti-Polar Bear
05-16-2008, 06:44 PM
good thread.

3irty1
05-18-2008, 09:02 AM

That's true. I guess you just have to judge how well each does in their scheme. I think that's part of the reason that I don't rate Winfield and Harris as highly as some others do. They are system's corners. There are some guys that I think can play well in any system, and I have them ranked higher. Just look at Woodson. I think he'd play much better than Al in other systems, so I have him ranked higher.

I was actually going to put Winfield at #7 in the NFC. Lucas had a bounce back year after a down 2006 season. Clements was solid, but not elite. I think both of those guys are less system's corners than Winfield is. I ranked Winfield #5 because I figured Rastak would accuse me of being a Vikings hater if I did that.
:D

I agree that Woodson needs to be considered the more valuable CB since he could step in anywhere and play at a high level. Woodson is as good of a football player as anyone in the league.

Winfield at number 5 in the NFC personally made me throw up in my mouth a little. He's one of the most targeted CB in the league and I'm not sure its a good thing to have upwards of one hundred tackles a year as a CB. He'll never been pro-bowl material.

pbmax
05-18-2008, 09:10 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=408428

1. Eagles. Lito Sheppard and offseason pickup Asante Samuel are supreme playmakers. Sheppard is every bit the ballhawk Samuel is, but injuries have limited him too often. Sheldon Brown is a punishing hitter.

Odd, this evaluation of Sheppard, as the Eagles spent a ton of money for a new CB and are now trying to trade LS. I think the Eagles disagree with the SN's correspondents.

HarveyWallbangers
05-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Odd, this evaluation of Sheppard, as the Eagles spent a ton of money for a new CB and are now trying to trade LS. I think the Eagles disagree with the SN's correspondents.

Could be. I don't think he's elite, but he's solid. It's more likely that they feel Samuel IS elite, Brown is good enough as the other starter (and with a more affordable contract), and Joselio Hanson is a fine nickelback.