PDA

View Full Version : Disney

GrnBay007
05-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Anyone have suggestions/tips on a trip to Disney in Florida?

We would like to stay at a resort on the Disney grounds so there is no driving back and forth....but wow, they are pricey.

Any suggestions from past experiences are appreciated. :D

I was a kid last time I was there....it's all different now and I'm paying for it this time.

texaspackerbacker
05-13-2008, 11:47 PM
The last time we took the kids there--maybe 12 or 15 years ago, most of the hotels on the main road into Orlando--some of them fairly reasonably priced--had free shuttles going to Magic Kingdom, Epcot, etc.

Iron Mike
05-14-2008, 07:32 AM

Why not take a trip to Green Bay??

The rides at Bay Beach are VERY inexpensive. 8-)

Scott Campbell
05-14-2008, 08:29 AM

We would like to stay at a resort on the Disney grounds so there is no driving back and forth....but wow, they are pricey.

Any suggestions from past experiences are appreciated. :D

I was a kid last time I was there....it's all different now and I'm paying for it this time.

I don't think the hotels on the property are all that convenient, just because the property is so gargantuan. If the on property hotels were convenient enough to go back to you room for a lunch break, then that would be worthwhile. But they're not - unless you're staying at that hotel on the monorail. And your kids are older and you may want to do Universal which is off the property anyway.

I've stayed down there a bunch of times, as they host a lot of conventions. And I've had the kids down there once or twice, but we stayed on points. Even then, it was a pretty spendy trip.

LL2
05-14-2008, 09:10 AM
007...here's what you do. My wife and I went to Florida and Disney last summer. Check into staying at a time share resort. Tell them you going to Florida for the first time as a family with the kids and looking for deals. They will let you stay at the resort for probably around $300 for a week, but the catch is that you will have to sit through a timeshare presentation. The pain is that these "presentations" last around 3 hours, but if you start at 8 am you'll be done before noon and have the rest of the day. To stay at some of these resorts can cost between $1200-1500 for the week. My wife and I listened to two presentations, 1 for the resort we stayed at and 1 at another resort to get free Disney tickets. We saved quite a bit. To some it's not worth it. These resorts can be very nice, and a lot better than staying at a Holiday Inn.

If you want I can set you up. A friend of mine sells timeshares for a living at the resort below (see link). It's a really nice place and close to Disney. Just send me a PM. He's not a high pressure sales type, but to get a deal to stay there you will have to listed to a presentation. My wife and I actually bought a timeshare to the place (my friend gave us a 10% discount and waived his commision, but don't expect that. I've known him for 20 years).

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=5608

Chubbyhubby
05-14-2008, 09:49 AM
When I first read the title of the thread I thought it was about the Disney Store. The Disney Store by us is going out of buisness. Which really sucks. We get alot of stuff from there. Blame it on the ECONOMY!!!

Gunakor
05-14-2008, 10:49 AM
I go down to Disney just about every other summer. We always stay at Fort Wilderness, which is just a short ferry boat ride over the lagoon from Magic Kingdom. It is a campground, so if you bring a tent and camp out it's very inexpensive. $40 per night I think for a campsite. They also have air conditioned cabins w/ cable and appliances, but those are far more expensive.

The All-Star resorts are also very inexpensive - like $89-$99 per night. They include the All-Star Sports, Movies, and Music resorts as well as the Pop Century resort.

The resorts near Downtown Disney are convienient, but a bit more pricey. The main hub for all of the Disney busses is at Downtown Disney so you won't need to transfer busses very often. Not to mention that Pleasure Island is right there, so you won't have to deal with a long bus ride back to your resort at 1am after a night of heavy drinking.

The Epcot resorts are nice. Next to Epcot Center is the Boardwalk, which has some fun clubs including an ESPN Zone and and my favorite bar in all of Disney called Jellyrolls.

Some newer rides I'd definitely suggest checking out are Soarin' and Test Track at Epcot, Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom, Rock n' Roller Coaster at MGM Studios, and Philharmagic and a remade Pirates of the Carribean and Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom.

LL2
05-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Some newer rides I'd definitely suggest checking out are Soarin' and Test Track at Epcot, Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom, Rock n' Roller Coaster at MGM Studios, and Philharmagic and a remade Pirates of the Carribean and Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom.

We did the Pirates ride, and my son liked it a lot. In a few years we will go back as my kids get older and do more of the other parks.

MadtownPacker
05-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Some newer rides I'd definitely suggest checking out are Soarin'What is the Soaring over there? Is it Florida?

Deputy Nutz
05-14-2008, 11:32 AM
My wife wants to go to Disney this year and I no way in hell want to go. I told her that she and the daughter can go and I will stay at home with the younger son. I hated that fucking place when we went in 1991. I must have been spoiled, but in my opinion nothing can be worse than going to Disney World over Christmas break.

We are also looking for deals at Disney. my wife and kid are probably only going to go for 3 or 4 days during the week in October or November.

Gunakor
05-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Some newer rides I'd definitely suggest checking out are Soarin'What is the Soaring over there? Is it Florida?

Soarin' is a IMAX type attraction at Epcot Center. There is a full length clip showing the ride on Youtube. Granted, that clip doesn't do it justice. They added SMELLS to the ride - meaning that when the IMAX shows you flying over a field of orange trees you smell oranges, when you fly over a golf course you smell freshly cut grass, when you fly over a forest you smell pine, etc. It's very cool.

LL2
05-14-2008, 12:42 PM

Soarin' is a IMAX type attraction at Epcot Center. There is a full length clip showing the ride on Youtube. Granted, that clip doesn't do it justice. They added SMELLS to the ride - meaning that when the IMAX shows you flying over a field of orange trees you smell oranges, when you fly over a golf course you smell freshly cut grass, when you fly over a forest you smell pine, etc. It's very cool.

I'm sure Nutz will send his wife and kids on this ride and will want to go on a ride where he can SMELL sex.

GrnBay007
05-14-2008, 12:48 PM
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=5608

That's nice LL2. How far is that from Disney? I would be all for doing something like that...I'll check with my friend.

So far we narrowed it down to the Wilderness Lodge and one other place I can't think of. The WL for a cabin is $2000 for a week. I'd much rather spend a chunk of that on something fun.

Gunakor
05-14-2008, 12:50 PM
My wife wants to go to Disney this year and I no way in hell want to go. I told her that she and the daughter can go and I will stay at home with the younger son. I hated that fucking place when we went in 1991. I must have been spoiled, but in my opinion nothing can be worse than going to Disney World over Christmas break.

We are also looking for deals at Disney. my wife and kid are probably only going to go for 3 or 4 days during the week in October or November.

What didn't you like about Disney? If you went during Christmas Break, I can understand you having to deal with a HUGE crowd and hating the lines and such. But if you don't go during busy seasons - i.e. school breaks - it's not incredibly crowded and the lines are not too bad. Since 1991 they have also started thier fast pass deal, so if the line is too long at the ride you want you can just grab a fast pass and go do something else for a while. Then when your fast pass time comes up, you can practically walk right on.

Disney is a very different place than it was in 1991. They are always adding new attractions. Downtown Disney and Animal Kingdom didn't even exist back then. Newer rides have been added, such as the ones I mentioned earlier. Thier transportation system is better than any city public transportation system I know of, and best of all it's at no cost to Disney patrons. They have a pyrotechnics show every night at 3 different theme parks. Every night is New Year's Eve at Pleasure Island. Disney Resort guests have Disney Magical Hours, where the theme parks stay open for resort guests only for an extra couple hours on certain nights - dramatically reducing wait times on the best rides. They've added many great restaurants such as a Wolfgang Puck's and a Rainforest Cafe. At Disney's Wide World of Sports complex, you can see the Atlanta Braves spring training in March or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers training camp in August. There is sooo much to do.

LL2
05-14-2008, 01:03 PM

That's nice LL2. How far is that from Disney? I would be all for doing something like that...I'll check with my friend.

So far we narrowed it down to the Wilderness Lodge and one other place I can't think of. The WL for a cabin is $2000 for a week. I'd much rather spend a chunk of that on something fun.

It is nice. They have a kitchen area, living room area, and 1-2 bedrooms. If I remember correctly it's only around 10-15 minutes from Disney. We liked it so much we bought a timeshare, obviously, but we now can stay at any Starwood hotel and resort, and that includes places like Sheraton, Weston, W, St. Regis, and more. Just let me know if interested.

MadtownPacker
05-14-2008, 01:34 PM

Soarin' is a IMAX type attraction at Epcot Center. There is a full length clip showing the ride on Youtube. Granted, that clip doesn't do it justice. They added SMELLS to the ride - meaning that when the IMAX shows you flying over a field of orange trees you smell oranges, when you fly over a golf course you smell freshly cut grass, when you fly over a forest you smell pine, etc. It's very cool.I meant what state does it take you through.

At Disneyland here in Cali it is called "California Soaring" and if i recall correctly it takes you around the state. Even get an orange blast going over orange orchards.

Partial
05-14-2008, 01:38 PM
kayak.com for flights, hotwire.com for hotel.

Get one in buena vista, but not necessarily in disney. it's not any more convienent and hella expensive. Rent a car away from the airport and have them pick you up.

Buy tickets there from the little boothes outside restaurants and stuff. They're dirt cheap. I got offered a week at sea world for 25 bucks.

Charles Woodson
05-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Gunakor, ive been on the soaring and the test track and both are really awesome.
007-If you like rollercoasters i deffinetly would advise islands of adventure. Epcot is also pretty good
As sad as it is, ive only been to disney world 3 or 4 times. I did go last summer, but we stayed at a hotel that had a little drive, cause my dad had a buisness conference there.
I have a friend who goes to disney more than she goes to church, and i can see where she stays and such

Tyrone Bigguns
05-14-2008, 04:41 PM

Tyrone lived in Orlando for about 10 years. Tyrone would be happy to give you advice. Just send a PM.

Tyrone would also say that Disney is overrated and Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure are much better. Unless you are a Disney freak/fanatic most park goers agree with Tyrone.

Seaworld offers the advantage of FREE BEER!!! Sure, it is AB, but FREE IS FREE!! And, nothing beats watching the cat circus!!

And, if you are a religious nut...don't miss:

www.theholylandexperience.com

red
05-14-2008, 05:30 PM
well, i was there in 1983, and we stayed in some pyramid shaped hotel that was quite a ways away from anything

i lost a pound puppy there that i had just received the day before. i was devastated

hope that helps

and if you find my pound puppy, please return him to me, he is missed

GBRulz
05-14-2008, 05:43 PM
I lived in Orlando for several years and because of that, I'm probably not the best one to give advice on how the tourists do things. We had season passes to all the parks and just went whenever we felt like it.

From the people that I do know who have visited recently though, they said setting everything up through disney's website was the way to go. Apparently it's very customizable to weed out what you need or don't need. I've heard from many that if you are going to see Disney or one of their surrounding parks, to stay on the grounds because the free transportation is plentiful and renting a car isn't necessary.

You are never going to see everything in one trip. I would probably recommend adding the park hopper option if you want to see more than just Disney though. Shoot me an email if u have questions.

BallHawk
05-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Being a 3 hour drive from Orlando I've been to Disney way too many times, but I'll reiterate what others have said.

Go through disney's website. It ends up being easier and more customizable. Definitely beats going through a ticket office or something like that.

This is just my opinion, but don't stay on site when at Disney. You are overcharged for an average room and if you eat at the hotel you'll be paying out the ass. There are many good hotels off site that offer a shuttle and there's always the option of renting a car, though if can be a pain to park. We've always gone through the Radison or a Marriott so that's all I can speak for, but the Radison sometimes has great deals. When we went it was $50 a night for a great hotel and kids eat free for the buffet breakfast and sit down dinner. Great deal.

Also, if you want to keep the kids happy I'd go more towards Magic Kingdom and MGM or Animal Kingdom. Epcot is a great park for adults because of the countries and such, but younger kids will be bored by the lack of rides.

Anyways, good luck with your trip.

Gunakor
05-15-2008, 10:24 AM

Soarin' is a IMAX type attraction at Epcot Center. There is a full length clip showing the ride on Youtube. Granted, that clip doesn't do it justice. They added SMELLS to the ride - meaning that when the IMAX shows you flying over a field of orange trees you smell oranges, when you fly over a golf course you smell freshly cut grass, when you fly over a forest you smell pine, etc. It's very cool.I meant what state does it take you through.

At Disneyland here in Cali it is called "California Soaring" and if i recall correctly it takes you around the state. Even get an orange blast going over orange orchards.

It takes you all over the country I think. They take you over a Ski Resort, and orange fields, and a PGA Golf Tournament, and a Navy Base (I think it's San Diego, but I'm not sure), and the Grand Canyon, river rafting through a forest area, and other places. They finish it up at Walt Disney Land in California. You can see the whole sequence on Youtube. The one in Florida is just called "Soarin", it doesn't have any pretext.

Gunakor
05-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Being a 3 hour drive from Orlando I've been to Disney way too many times, but I'll reiterate what others have said.

Go through disney's website. It ends up being easier and more customizable. Definitely beats going through a ticket office or something like that.

This is just my opinion, but don't stay on site when at Disney. You are overcharged for an average room and if you eat at the hotel you'll be paying out the ass. There are many good hotels off site that offer a shuttle and there's always the option of renting a car, though if can be a pain to park. We've always gone through the Radison or a Marriott so that's all I can speak for, but the Radison sometimes has great deals. When we went it was $50 a night for a great hotel and kids eat free for the buffet breakfast and sit down dinner. Great deal.

Also, if you want to keep the kids happy I'd go more towards Magic Kingdom and MGM or Animal Kingdom. Epcot is a great park for adults because of the countries and such, but younger kids will be bored by the lack of rides.

Anyways, good luck with your trip.

There are perks to staying on property resorts. Yes, it will cost you more money - unless you stay at one of the value resorts owned by Disney. The value resorts are only about $100 per night. I work at a hotel in Milwaukee and WE charge more than that. The transportation is still included. The park passes aren't any more expensive. You can stay at a Disney property for less than you think and still get all of the perks that come with it.

The Lagoon of Nations at Epcot isn't very appealing to kids, but the other half of Epcot I enjoyed as a kid and now my nieces and nephews enjoy it. Spaceship Earth is cool. There is a new exhibit at the Living Seas where you can talk with Crush, the turtle from Finding Nemo - kids can ask him questions and he'll answer, as if they were having a normal conversation IRL. Innovations has an arcade where kids can play some of the newer games - Disney approved of course. I mentioned Soarin' and Test Track earlier, and the kids should enjoy those.

Mission Space is fun too, but it is a spinner so you shouldn't go on if you have a weak stomach. They spin you around at an incredible speed to create the effect of gravity. It's kind of like Cajun Cliffhanger at Six Flags Great America. I did it once, and it was a cool ride I suppose, but I was queasy the rest of the afternoon because I don't have a strong stomach. However I now hear that they have built a second Mission Space ride, one that does not have the spinning to create gravity - to cater to people like me who don't do well with spinners. So if you have a problem with spinners, you can still do Mission Space without experiencing the added g-force of liftoff.

The World of Energy has an exhibit with Bill Nye and Ellen DeGeneres - I don't like it anymore only because I've seen it 20 times, but the kids might. Also on that side of the park is Body Wars, a fun thrill ride that I'm sure the kids will enjoy (not reccommended for small kids though).

The countries are basically a place to learn about world history, drink, eat, and shop. Nothing like going to France for a Napoleon, then Ireland for an Ale, then Mexico for a Margarita, then Germany to buy a beer mug, then the American Embassy for a burger and fries, etc. all in one afternoon.

BallHawk
05-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Going to Epcot on Saturday with my class and trying to decide what country to eat in. Suggestions?

MadtownPacker
05-15-2008, 11:27 AM
It takes you all over the country I think. They take you over a Ski Resort, and orange fields, and a PGA Golf Tournament, and a Navy Base (I think it's San Diego, but I'm not sure), and the Grand Canyon, river rafting through a forest area, and other places. They finish it up at Walt Disney Land in California. You can see the whole sequence on Youtube. The one in Florida is just called "Soarin", it doesn't have any pretext.Sounds like they jjust didn't want to call it "Cali Soaring". Fuck em!

Did yours have the Golden Gate bridge?

Gunakor
05-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Going to Epcot on Saturday with my class and trying to decide what country to eat in. Suggestions?

France.

oregonpackfan
05-15-2008, 12:31 PM
I have mixed feelings about Disney World/Land. While it offers many exciting and interesting exhibitions, rides, etc., I was turned off by the expense and the commercialism.

My wife and I did take our girls to Disneyland about three years ago. I do feel every family should take in the experience of Disney at least once in their lifetime.

My recommendation for kids is to wait until they are old enough to remember the experience. If they are too young, they cannot retain the memories of the trip.

For the "scary" rides, be sure there is at least one parent brave and/or foolish enough to go on the rides with your older children. My teenaged daughter loved the scary rides but my wife refused to ride them. That left me as the parent to accompany her. Though I used to enjoy the challenging when I was young, I was squeemish for several of them. After exiting one of the new roller coaster rides, I marched right up to my wife and announced, "You owe me!" :lol:

BallHawk
05-15-2008, 12:32 PM

France.

I always go to get a Napoleon from there. They be damn good.

Gunakor
05-15-2008, 12:34 PM
It takes you all over the country I think. They take you over a Ski Resort, and orange fields, and a PGA Golf Tournament, and a Navy Base (I think it's San Diego, but I'm not sure), and the Grand Canyon, river rafting through a forest area, and other places. They finish it up at Walt Disney Land in California. You can see the whole sequence on Youtube. The one in Florida is just called "Soarin", it doesn't have any pretext.Sounds like they jjust didn't want to call it "Cali Soaring". Fuck em!

Did yours have the Golden Gate bridge?

It does. It might have been filmed entirely in California, I had just assumed that it was fimed elsewhere as well, with the river rafting and such. I can't think of a PGA event in California either. The Navy Base is California for sure, as is the unmistakeable ending in Disneyland. But the mountainous scene I had assumed was in Arizona/New Mexico, the ski hill I thought was in Colorado, etc. I think it might be the same thing as the one in California though. I've never been to Disneyland in Cali. But I know it was first opened up at Disneyland and then came to Disney World afterward, so it might be the same thing.

Gunakor
05-15-2008, 12:39 PM

France.

I always go to get a Napoleon from there. They be damn good.

ANY of the pastries sold at the French Embassy are very good. The Napoleon is the tastiest by far, but thier fruit tortes and creme horns are very good as well. The Iced Cappuccino you get from the same shop is very good also. But they have a French restaurant next door to the pastry shop that is unbelievably delicious also. It's a white tablecloth, fine silverware, upper class restaurant that costs a pretty penny. But it's soooooo good.

BallHawk
05-15-2008, 12:47 PM
You ever go to the Rose and Crown in the UK section? That's pretty good pub fare. Japan's big restaurant is good, too.

Gunakor
05-15-2008, 02:04 PM
You ever go to the Rose and Crown in the UK section? That's pretty good pub fare. Japan's big restaurant is good, too.

I'm not a big fan of Japaneese food, so I've never eaten there. I tend to do a lot of shopping at Japan though, as they have some of the most gorgeous crystal and glassware you'll find in all of Florida.

I've been to the Rose and Crown, and you are right it's pretty good pub fare. Drinking my way around the lagoon, however, I'm more partial to the ales at the Irish pub and the margaritas in Mexico. But every time I drink my way around the world, I end up getting drunk at 2 in the afternoon. On a sunny 95 degree day, with 90% humidity. Oops...

Fosco33
05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Wife works for corp Disney. And has a silver pass - meaning we can take like 3 (+ her) into the CA parks for free most days...
And the free clothes for the upcoming baby girl are a nice perk 8-)

MJZiggy
05-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Oh shit. I forgot.