PDA

View Full Version : Aww man.......is November ever going to get here?

Jimx29
05-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Bar owner may be sued for........ (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cobb/stories/2008/05/13/mulligans_0514.html)

http://i27.tinypic.com/21cgso0.jpg

Gunakor
05-15-2008, 05:00 PM
By JAMIE GUMBRECHT, CHRISTIAN BOONE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 05/13/08

The publishing company that owns the Curious George image says it is considering legal action to stop the sale of a T-shirt depicting Barack Obama as the monkey from children's books.

The T-shirts are being peddled by Marietta bar owner Mike Norman at his Mulligan's Bar and Grill in Cobb County. They show a picture of Curious Georgie peeling a banana, with the words "Obama '08" underneath.

Rick Blake, a spokesman for publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which owns Curious George, said Wednesday that the company didn't authorize the use of the character's image, but hasn't been in touch with anybody selling or manufacturing the shirts.

"We find it offensive and obviously utterly out of keeping with the value Curious George represents," Blake said. "We're monitoring the situation and weighing our options with respect to legal action."

Norman has said he got the T-shirts from someone in Arkansas. He started selling them at his bar -- known for the provocative, ultra-conservative political slogans often posted on signs out front -- in April but said he has no plans to mass market them.

The sales came to light this week when a loose coalition of local groups called a protest of the T-shirts.

About a dozen protestors rallied against the shirts Tuesday afternoon, condemning them as racist and asking Norman to stop selling them.

Norman acknowledged the imagery's Jim Crow roots but said he sees nothing wrong with depicting a prominent African-American as a monkey.

"We're not living in the (19)40's," he said. "Look at him . . . the hairline, the ears -- he looks just like Curious George."

Marietta native Pam Lindley, 47, joined Tuesday's protest after reading about the controversy.

"I don't want people to think this is what Marietta is all about," she added, motioning towards the tavern. "This is what some people think the South is still like. Marietta's come a long way but I guess it's still got a little ways to go."

She said she'd like to see the city ban Norman's provocative musings regularly posted on a sign out front of the bar, which is near Marietta's downtown square. Those who gathered Tuesday say they will continue their campaign against Norman's "hate speech."

But his defenders are just as resolute. Mulligan's is a refuge, they say, in an otherwise hypersensitive world. Smoking isn't only allowed at the bar, it's expected.

"This place is a diamond in the rough," said Gene McKinley, a Woodstock engineer among the patrons Tuesday. "People here are genuine and honest. It's the one place I can go without having to worry if I'm offending someone."

Norman said he fielded calls throughout Tuesday about his T-shirts. An ajc.com story about the controversy was picked up on the Drudge Report. "One guy in New Jersey wanted me to send him 100 shirts," said Norman, 63.

He said he noted physical similarities between the Democratic frontrunner and the cartoon monkey while watching a Curious George movie with his grandchildren.

Someone -- "probably a customer, I don't know" -- from Arkansas sent him the shirts, Norman said.

The Tennessee native said he's providing a public service of sorts, reminding people they have a right to offend.

"This is my marketing tool," he said.

Gunakor
05-15-2008, 05:04 PM
The Tennessee native said he's providing a public service of sorts, reminding people they have a right to offend.

WTF is this crap?

Proof that the extreme conservatives are just as despicable as the extreme liberals.

Kiwon
05-15-2008, 06:15 PM

WTF is this crap?

About the same as Hoosier's crap

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=12452&post=269929

Proof that the extreme conservatives are just as despicable as the extreme liberals.

Hmmm....does this mean that Tyrone Bigguns is just a liberal or an extreme liberal?

The obama's don't look like chimps...Bush does. Hence the comparison. Notice how they don't use an rhesus monkey, guerilla, etc...because he doesn't look like that.

If you wanna compare the obamas to something go right ahead...as long as it looks like them...reasonably.

MJZiggy
05-15-2008, 06:28 PM
I find it interesting that they used Curious George. The fact of the matter is that they're not getting sued for the T-shirt's political content as copyright and trademark infringement. Had they done this with a generic monkey, they wouldn't have anything to say about it, and if any of us used CG unauthorized for anything and the publisher found out about it, we'd get sued too.

Freak Out
05-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I find it interesting that they used Curious George. The fact of the matter is that they're not getting sued for the T-shirt's political content as copyright and trademark infringement. Had they done this with a generic monkey, they wouldn't have anything to say about it, and if any of us used CG unauthorized for anything and the publisher found out about it, we'd get sued too.

Its a free country and I have no problem if these idiots want to make a shirt with a monkey/Obama on it but the fact that they were dumb enough to use a globally copyright image in this day and age without permission says pretty much all you need to know about these folks.

hoosier
05-15-2008, 07:27 PM

WTF is this crap?

Are you really incapable of understanding the difference between comparing Dubya to a chimp (the logic: Dubya is goofy) and comparing Obama to a monkey (logic: black men are subhuman)? If the difference between these two comparisons (hint: one is a personal attack and the other is a racist cliche) is too hard for you to grasp then I guess we'll just have to leave it at that--that Kiwon ain't the sharpest tool in the shed...

Jimx29
05-15-2008, 08:03 PM
.......Had they done this with a generic monkey, they wouldn't have anything to say about it, ........

I know where there are some to choose from

http://i26.tinypic.com/2rww9ab.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
05-15-2008, 08:21 PM

WTF is this crap?

Hmmm....does this mean that Tyrone Bigguns is just a liberal or an extreme liberal?

The obama's don't look like chimps...Bush does. Hence the comparison. Notice how they don't use an rhesus monkey, guerilla, etc...because he doesn't look like that.

If you wanna compare the obamas to something go right ahead...as long as it looks like them...reasonably.

My god, you are an idiot. I said go ahead and post a pic, if it looks like the pic. IF they feel he looks like a monkey, they are free to do so...i don't think he looks a thing like curious george..not to mention the racial overtones.

But, leave it to you to decry the Bush pic, but i don't see you decrying this pic and saying how horrible it is. I guess it is only horrible when it is bush.

dope.

texaspackerbacker
05-15-2008, 09:00 PM
The guy that put out these shirts is damn lucky he's a Democrat. If he was a Republican or even a Hillary supporter, he would be crucified--literally.

Such is the double standard of the media.

MJZiggy
05-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Read the story again. Dude who put out the shirts was an ultra conservative. He seems to still be alive and sans nail holes. He's just getting sued for copyright infringement.

hoosier
05-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Read the story again. Dude who put out the shirts was an ultra conservative. He seems to still be alive and sans nail holes. He's just getting sued for copyright infringement.

Tex doesn't let minor details like that get in his way when he's got a point to make.

Joemailman
05-15-2008, 09:32 PM

Tex doesn't let minor details like that get in his way when he's got a point to make.

I think Tex meant to say that the anti-America sick liberals who own the Curious George copyright are trying to crucify this guy because he's a patriotic conservative.

texaspackerbacker
05-15-2008, 10:38 PM
I heard the guy was an Obama supporter doing a fund-raiser for Obama. You're telling me he is NOT?

If that's the case, CNN and MSNBC got it wrong too.

MJZiggy
05-15-2008, 10:51 PM
READ THE STORY!!!

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2008, 11:10 PM
READ THE STORY!!!

Technically, the story doesn't say he's a Republican--unless I misread something. There are old school, conservative Democrats in the South (formerly Dixiecrats).

In the period following the Civil War the Radical Republicans used the Union Army to occupy and forcibly reengineer Southern society. When conservative white Southerners ended military occupation and restored the Southern politico-economic position, the region gave its political allegiance almost entirely to the Democratic Party, creating the solidly Democratic South.

In the 1930s, when the Democratic Party began its drift toward more centralized socialized engineering, the Southern Democrats remained an anchor toward traditional Democratic policies of localized populism and progressivism. After the crisis of the Great Depression, World War Two, and the beginning of the Cold War, the National Democratic Leadership fully embraced a more centralized, socialized, secularized, and multicultural program. This was seen as a return to Reconstruction and many Southern Democrats began to drift from the National Party. As a result they became termed Dixiecrats.

The term Dixiecrat is a portmanteau of Dixie, referring to the Southern United States, and Democrat, referring to the United States Democratic Party. Initially, it referred to a splinter (or offshoot) from the party in the 1948 U.S. presidential election. For more than a century, white Southerners had overwhelmingly been Democrats.

MJZiggy
05-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Either way, Harv, the dude is not an ultra conservative Obama supporter...that puts out a t-shirt depicting Obama as Curious George...

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Either way, Harv, the dude is not an ultra conservative Obama supporter...that puts out a t-shirt depicting Obama as Curious George...

Well, that much is true. I missed Tex's second post where he said he'd heard the guy was an Obama supporter.

Personally, I think it's stupid. I think the post comparing Bush to monkeys is stupid too. Now, the one with Clinton and her facial expressions is good stuff.

Kiwon
05-16-2008, 04:42 AM

WTF is this crap?

Are you really incapable of understanding the difference between comparing Dubya to a chimp (the logic: Dubya is goofy) and comparing Obama to a monkey (logic: black men are subhuman)? If the difference between these two comparisons (hint: one is a personal attack and the other is a racist cliche) is too hard for you to grasp then I guess we'll just have to leave it at that--that Kiwon ain't the sharpest tool in the shed...

What's dull is your basic sense of right and wrong. Imagine that.

A collage of 19 photos comparing George Bush and chimps is not implying that he is subhuman but a similar collage with Barack and Michelle Obama would be a heinous racist statement?

Why can't they both be a "goofy" statement and why shouldn't they both be considered a racist statement?