PDA

View Full Version : MY stats and analysis about Packers and others OTAs

Patler
06-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Someone asked about how the Packers attendance at OTAs compares to other teams,....so, like the idiot no life that I am, I wasted a few hours and looked into it. I searched and skimmed many newspaper articles for many teams, over the last few years. I have no intention of citing my sources, just too many to do that. If you trust my research from the past, trust it now. If not, don't. It matters not to me which way you fall.

My general comments and impressions:

GB attendance is quite good. By all reports, 14 players missed the first day, including Green, Driver, Franks and Collins who showed up the second day. It also included Hawk who isn't allowed to be there. GB has "about 100" players, (I figured at least 98). Nine true no shows means 90%+ attendance.

Some teams are happy that they had 80% and better attendance.

In the past some teams have said attendance "wasn't too bad" when they had around 60-70 players.

Some teams cite "near 100%" attendance, absent the "excused" players, and then they identify 6 or 8 of those. Overall, not much different than GB.

Attendance at OTAs is declining.

The NFLPA hates the OTAs and wants them eliminated.

It is VERY common for players to come and go at the OTAs. It has happened for the Packers in the past, too. It happens with all teams.

The local media is scrutinizing the packers much greater than newspapers in other NFL cities, many of which barely comment on the OTAs.

Several factors make the story in GB more interesting even nationally:
1. New coaching staff.
2. Harris.
3. New players Pickett and Woodson.

That's about it. Take it for what it is worth! I'll be happy to respond to questions about things I may have read, or impressions I might have gained.

GrnBay007
06-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Several factors make the story in GB more interesting even nationally:
1. New coaching staff.
2. Harris.
3. New players Pickett and Woodson.

Thanks for checking that out Shamrockfan. Interesting!

I think you can add to the above list
-Favre is on the team. He draws media attention
-Last year's first losing season in how many years.

Partial
06-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Atta boy!

Oscar
06-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Nice work Shamrock :D

Bretsky
06-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Good Work researching. I once had a Fact Buster over at JS to support or bust many of my arguments. You seem a lot like him and I hope I can call for your research expertise over here in a pinch as well.

Cheers,
B

Patler
06-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Good Work researching. I once had a Fact Buster over at JS to support or bust many of my arguments. You seem a lot like him and I hope I can call for your research expertise over here in a pinch as well.

Cheers,
B

I don't know, he sounds like a pretty dull sort of guy !!

red
06-04-2006, 09:02 AM
i'll give you alot of credit

i know what it feels like to piss away a couple of hours to research something on the packers, only to have nobody give a flying rats ass

nice job

maybe i'll post my findings on this fine site and give it a whirl

Bretsky
06-04-2006, 09:15 AM
i'll give you alot of credit

i know what it feels like to piss away a couple of hours to research something on the packers, only to have nobody give a flying rats ass

nice job

maybe i'll post my findings on this fine site and give it a whirl

We like research here; bring it.

Cheers,
B

MadtownPacker
06-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Great research Rock. I had a feeling it wasn't as bad as it was being made out.

Oscar
06-04-2006, 11:46 AM
It seems alot of these reporters are stuck in a gloom and doom mode. A good scandal once in a while is ok but a lil good news goes a long way. :wink:

Scott Campbell
06-04-2006, 11:59 AM

Cheers,
B

I don't know, he sounds like a pretty dull sort of guy !!

Yeah, you pretty much have him pegged. Though we all liked him anyway.

:twisted:

esoxx
06-04-2006, 12:17 PM
If the Packers OTA attendance is so good, I wonder why Pro Football Weekly signaled the Packers out (along with the Bills) for their poor attendance. Actually, this is a rhetorical question, b/c PFW is a whiney bunch of ass clowns who are always dogging the Pack.

Patler
06-04-2006, 12:26 PM
If the Packers OTA attendance is so good, I wonder why Pro Football Weekly signaled the Packers out (along with the Bills) for their poor attendance. Actually, this is a rhetorical question, b/c PFW is a whiney bunch of ass clowns who are always dogging the Pack.

Weren't they also the ones who thought the Ravens did pretty good with 80 players in attendance? Every team has rosters of close to 100 right now, so the Ravens "good" attendance was worse than the Packers "bad" attendance.

HarveyWallbangers
06-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Actually, I believe the Packers had the most or second most players in NFL-E, and for every player you have in NFL-E, you are also allowed another player on your roster, so I believe the Packers have the largest or second largest roster. Not sure how much different it is than other teams though.

HarveyWallbangers
06-05-2006, 08:25 AM
These are from various sources. There are more, but these were some reports out there. It's not something that is just happening with Green Bay. They need to make these things required or just not have them.

Giants WR Plaxico Burress and TE Jeremy Shockey are again skipping offseason workouts to work out on their own down in Miami. The organization and coaching staff has become resigned to their annual trip, though they're still not happy about it at all.

Jacksonville RB Fred Taylor's continued absence from on-field workouts this spring is giving several of his backups a chance to shine.

Chicago RB Thomas Jones and OLB Lance Briggs, both represented by Drew Rosenhaus, skipped out on the bulk of the voluntary offseason program with Jones darting after his name surfaced in trade talks prior to the draft and Briggs when talks for a long-term contract extension crumbled in April.

Buffalo isn't thrilled with the spotty attendance by some of the veterans during the offseason workouts. Eleven veterans were no-shows at the first week of OTAs, including RB Willis McGahee, MLB London Fletcher, DE Aaron Schobel, CB Nate Clements and G Chris Villarrial. McGahee is the only veteran who has yet to make at least one spring practice. The minicamps are voluntary, but team would like the players to participate so they can get a head start learning the new offense and defense.

Baltimore RB Jamal Lewis hasn't attended voluntary passing camps, but the Ravens aren't concerned. Lewis has had to fulfill an obligation of community service in Atlanta stemming from drug conspiracy charges years ago, but he will attend mandatory camps coming up soon. Word has it that Lewis has been working out and in good shape.

Last year, some of the guys that missed OTAs were Javon Walker, Corey Chavous, Brian Williams, and Michael Clayton--among others.

The Leaper
06-05-2006, 09:19 AM
I don't see the big deal. Sure, it would be nice if all these guys were in OTAs...but does it really provide much help for veteran players, especially if there isn't a change in the coaching staff? I don't think so.

If guys want to train on their own and are responsible in doing so, I really don't see the need for 100% mandatory attendance at some light practices. Half the guys actually there end up tweaking a hammy or something and are sitting on the sidelines anyway. Training camp provides MORE than enough training time for most positions, especially considering that most areas of the team are going to be operating under similar conditions to last season anyway despite coaching changes. I think the main area where OTAs provide a training boost for veteran Packers this year is on the OL...where an entirely new scheme is being implemented. Otherwise, this is still the WCO and the defense scheme will be very similar to what we saw under Bates.

HarveyWallbangers
06-05-2006, 01:59 PM
From Peter King:

7. I think what Bears coach Lovie Smith did in demoting running back Thomas Jones and linebacker Lance Briggs is what all coaches want to do when players miss voluntary workouts. Smith made Jones and Briggs second-teamers because, as he said, "What is right is letting the players that have been here working out with their team be with the first group.'' However, if I ran the NFLPA, this would be a watershed event. What Smith is saying is that voluntary workouts are certainly not voluntary; if you're not there, you will be penalized.

woodbuck27
06-05-2006, 02:09 PM
"What Smith is saying is that voluntary workouts are certainly not voluntary; if you're not there, you will be penalized." HarveyWallbangers

Yup ! In the tradition of 'the Bears', just another example of SMACKDOWN !

Hang em' out to dry Lovie.

Patler
06-05-2006, 04:13 PM
From Peter King:

7. I think what Bears coach Lovie Smith did in demoting running back Thomas Jones and linebacker Lance Briggs is what all coaches want to do when players miss voluntary workouts. Smith made Jones and Briggs second-teamers because, as he said, "What is right is letting the players that have been here working out with their team be with the first group.'' However, if I ran the NFLPA, this would be a watershed event. What Smith is saying is that voluntary workouts are certainly not voluntary; if you're not there, you will be penalized.

That was my first thought. I can see a grievance coming from the NFLPA.