PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News on Minicamps-Never saw this reported

privatepacker
05-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Sporting News had an article that describes the NFC's Mini-Camps. First time I saw that the team was impressed w/ Lumpkin. Maybe I missed it but either way, good news for our RB situation.

Running back Kregg Lumpkin really stood out during early practices. The undrafted rookie was the only signed player to take part in the camp and got many repetitions. Although he ran poorly at the Combine and missed most of his senior season at Georgia because of injury, he clearly has talent.

>Lumpkin is a quick, one-cut runner who carries 222 pounds behind his pads and isn't afraid to hit it up in the hole. He showed good quickness making cuts. He probably won't be as effective running outside, but he will get a shot to compete with DeShawn Wynn, Noah Herron and Vernand Morency for a backup job behind Ryan Grant and Brandon Jackson.

MadtownPacker
05-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Isn't Georgia all about running the ball? I recall they diced Hawaii's shitty D up on the ground.

Fritz
05-16-2008, 02:34 PM
If I were a running back, and my name was "Lumpkin" I would definitely change that in court. Maybe "Mercury" or "HeHateMe" but not "Lumpkin."

Packers4Ever
05-16-2008, 04:18 PM
If I were a running back, and my name was "Lumpkin" I would definitely change that in court. Maybe "Mercury" or "HeHateMe" but not "Lumpkin."

Same thoughts here.....
But wasn't there a comedian on TV whose TV name was "Willie Willie Lumpkin" ? I'm not kidding, guys, he was frequently on Red Skelton show, Jack Benny, anyone remember him? :P

Iron Mike
05-16-2008, 04:53 PM

I would change my first name to "Fuzzy."

http://www.blisterdirect.com/images-item-big/page-2948.jpg

BallHawk
05-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Shit, Mike beat me to it. :D

woodbuck27
05-17-2008, 07:53 AM

I would change my first name to "Fuzzy."

http://www.blisterdirect.com/images-item-big/page-2948.jpg

Fuzzy Lumpkin's a BEAST! A REAL Super Hero.

woodbuck27
05-17-2008, 08:11 AM
I just went to Packers.Com to get more on this Undrafted FA. We sure need someone to emerge behind Ryan Grant.

I still can't see TT's strategy in bringing in so many WR's when we need help at RB/FB and TE.

Patler
05-17-2008, 08:53 AM
I still can't see TT's strategy in bringing in so many WR's when we need help at RB/FB and TE.

It's very simple. They were having a rookie camp with 2 drafted QBs that they wanted to work a fair amount. Give each one a bunch of throws to see what they have. To give the QBs work, you need WRs to run routes and stay reasonably fresh. The veterans weren't there, so he signed a bunch of undrafted FAs just to have enough to work his QBs.

They might keep as many for the early part of training camp for the same reason. It doesn't do the QB a lot of good to have to throw to exhausted receivers who can't run decently. The Packers will want to work Rodgers a lot with the top 5. He might get more throws than Favre has the last few years because of his age and experience level. They will have two other QBs who combined may get more basic work than the backups the last few years. They will need a bunch of WRs to accomplish that.

Besides, he really hasn't shorted the TE or RB positions. With an 80 man roster you can have about 2 per position, give or take a few. He has 5 TEs signed and 10 RBs. He's not "short" at either position.

Lumpkin was a highly acclaimed runner coming out of HS. His college career was short-circuited by injuries. Sounds a lot like Grant, who also went undrafted for the same reason.