PDA

View Full Version : Hey, the media bashes the Vikings too! Wow!

gbpackfan
06-04-2006, 08:17 AM
http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2006/06/03/nfl_crystal_ball_time.php

Childress On the Way Out

It is hard to imagine that a coach could be on his way out after only recently being hired, but Brad Childress has exhibited zero worthiness of being an NFL Head Coach during his tenure thus far.

This is not just sour grapes for his comments about Daunte Culpepper. The simple fact of the matter is that in his press conferences he has not shown a natural feel for what he can say and what should not say. This has been evident in his addresses on all subjects, not just ones relating to Daunte Culpepper.

The league has taken notice. According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, there are many league insiders that are already wishing Brad would just shut his pie hole.

The bottom line is Childress has not been a head coach at any level of football, and has not shown a feel for handling the press, or his own players. He never called the plays in Philadelphia. Heaven only knows how much a of a hand Andy Reid had in formulating offensive game plans that called for 70 percent passing and only 30 percent running in Philadelphia.

If a new head coach wants to walk into a team situation, kick some keester and tear the roster apart in order to get out with the old and in with the new, that is fine. Brad has shown a willingness to do that, and quite frankly it is a time-honored tradition for new head coaches. When engaging in such draconian tactics, one must be swift and thorough. Otherwise, you run the risk of bending noses out of shape by engaging in a little house cleaning among high profile players, and leaving those discontented players in the locker room to destabilize the chemistry. The problem with Childress, is he has only engaged in this roster clean-up at half-speed. He targeted Daunte Culpepper as a means of giving the roster a makeover, but he did not target enough other players to make the efforts successful.

I am struck by the words of some of the Vikings' most esteemed players when asked about the possibility of a Culpepper trade in late February. Standouts like Jermaine Wiggins, Bryant McKinnie, Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, and Antoine Winfield (all of which have earned pro bowl consideration) all spoke vehemently in favor of keeping Culpepper.

McKinnie was the most vocal, and was quoted saying, "We already made one mistake (trading Moss). Don't do it twice. If that's the case, let me go."

Antoine Winfield pointed out that Culpepper was one of the primary reasons he signed with the Vikings over the Jets in the 2004 off season.

"I want him here," Winfield said. "I enjoy playing with him; he's a great guy to be around, and he's definitely a leader. I mean, he had a few bad games last year. But he's had a great career. He'll bounce back, whether it's here or somewhere else."

Pat Williams spoke up as well, saying "I'm not saying Brad wouldn't get the job done. But we still need Culpepper."

It is safe to say that in trading Daunte for the pick the team would later use on offensive lineman Ryan Cook of New Mexico (a pick largely considered a reach by draft evaluators), Childress has started his regime off on the wrong foot with a number of the team's veterans. The roster move defies conventional wisdom.

Later, Childress' open and blatant character assassination attempts on a guy that each of the players in the locker room knew as a standup person and leader, had to call into question the players' respect for Childress as a person.

If Culpepper turns out to lead the Miami Dolphins to a significant amount of success, while the Vikings struggle under Childress, the trade will hang over his head for a long time and serve as a constant reminder of Childress' incompetence as a decision-maker.

My crystall ball is telling me that Rod Marinelli will lead a revival of tough man football in Detroit, and his team's discipline will edge them over the loosely-ranked Vikings in the quest to produce an NFC North team that can attempt to compete with the Bears. Brad Childress' coaching regime will end in failure within three years.

Bryant McKinnie to Miami by 2008

Speaking of the situation in Minnesota, Bryant McKinnie's statements regarding the potential trade of Daunte Culpepper are very suggestive of his future as a Viking.

This meaning, he has no future as a Viking. The New Jersey native spent his entire college career (both junior college and university) in south Florida. He practically begged the Dolphins to find a way to get him when he came out of the 2002 NFL Draft. The Dolphins never got the chance.

In the 2002 Draft, the Vikings missed on an opportunity to select a player they badly wanted in Ryan Sims. The Dallas Cowboys were on the clock at the #6 pick, and allowed time to expire as they tried to wrap up trade negotiations that would see the Kansas City Chiefs moving up to steal Sims before the Vikings could get their hands on him. All the Vikings needed to do to get the player they wanted was turn their card in immediately after the Cowboys' time expired. There were rumors that representatives of the Chiefs physically blocked the Vikings' floor representative from turning his card in, which gave the Chiefs the time needed to turn in the trade and the pick.

Bryant McKinnie was not the guy the team wanted, and the ensuing contract negotiations reflected it. They attempted to lowball McKinnie into accepting a contract with millions less than the man picked one slot after him. The holdout was ugly, and lasted 100 days. There was a very real possibility that McKinnie would have held out until he could re-enter the draft in 2003. The team and McKinney agreed on a contract that expires after the 2007 season.

Most recently, the Vikings have negotiated a restricted free agent contract with left guard Steve Hutchinson containing a poison pill clause that would result in the entire contract becoming guaranteed if he is not the most highly paid offensive lineman on the team. The deal will put an automatic roof on any contract negotiations between McKinnie and the team.

There is also the infamous 'Love Boat' scandal to consider. McKinnie was on the boat and eyewitnesses claim they saw him performing oral sex on a naked stripper. Daunte Culpepper, according to his own testimony, as well as that of a witness, was present on the cruise as well but stayed in the back of the boat shooting craps all night. According to testimony of Culpepper and a witness, he never received so much as a lap dance. If Culpepper's fortunes could go from so high to so low in part for just being at the party, how will the team react to McKinnie's more direct involvement, and subsequent plea bargain?

Given his past history with the club, his affinity for the Miami area, the presence of the Hutchinson deal, his involvement in the 'Love Boat' scandal, and his recent public disillusionment over the Moss and Culpepper trades, my crystal ball shows me Bryant McKinnie wearing aqua and orange at the very latest by 2008, with a strong possibility for a trade or release by 2007. The Dolphins recently signed L.J. Shelton to a modest three-year contract, but his career play should not discourage the team for finding a franchise bookend when one falls in their laps.

Scott Campbell
06-04-2006, 08:52 AM
There were rumors that representatives of the Chiefs physically blocked the Vikings' floor representative from turning his card in, which gave the Chiefs the time needed to turn in the trade and the pick.

Anyone else ever heard this before? That's pretty hard to believe.

red
06-04-2006, 08:57 AM
There were rumors that representatives of the Chiefs physically blocked the Vikings' floor representative from turning his card in, which gave the Chiefs the time needed to turn in the trade and the pick.

nope

its a sad day when an real reporter has to list mike florio as a credible source of info

motife
06-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Duante forced the trade himself. After one of his worst seasons he demands a huge raise and starts sending out press releases himself outlining his holdout plans.

motife
06-04-2006, 10:10 AM

The Chiefs and Vikings both drafted bust players. Ryan Sims doesn't even start in K.C.

motife
06-04-2006, 10:15 AM
What's most amazing about the Duante trade is they settle for a 2nd round pick.

What would Peyton Manning be worth?

On top of that, paying Quarterback money to a guard, using acid laced conditions that have essentially wrecked the league system of Franchise, Transition, and restricted free agent players and poisoned the Vikings relationships with other NFL teams.

It will be interesting to see how they do with Brad Johnson at QB for the whole season and Koren Robinson as their #1 wideout.

Bretsky
06-04-2006, 10:26 AM
What's most amazing about the Duante trade is they settle for a 2nd round pick.

What would Peyton Manning be worth?

On top of that, paying Quarterback money to a guard, using acid laced conditions that have essentially wrecked the league system of Franchise, Transition, and restricted free agent players and poisoned the Vikings relationships with other NFL teams.

It will be interesting to see how they do with Brad Johnson at QB for the whole season and Koren Robinson as their #1 wideout.

It will be interesting; if Culpepper comes back from injury Miami will be very happy.

But I'm not writing the Vikings off; I think their coach will be solid and they have just as good of chance as GB next year.

oregonpackfan
06-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Oh, my! The woes of the Vikings so disturb me, I just might wear a purple arm band to honor them--then again, I think I'd rather jump off a Portland bridge into the polluted Willamette River.

Oregonpackfan

Guiness
06-04-2006, 09:57 PM
A second rounder for a relatively young franchise QB is bad, especially considering we got the same (better, actually, higher in the round) for a WR with one good year. Was is because of the injury? I mean, his knee was really messed up. Was there a possiblity he wouldn't come back?

More interesting from this is his hate for VY. I mean, he expects this guy to absolutely ROT, and drag the whole franchise with him. Wow, there was venom dripping down the screen on that part of the article.

havanother
06-05-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm surprised that very little has been mentioned about how that trade went down. Culpepper's trade value was 0. Obviously he had the injury, but the timing of his demands for more money and when his bonus was due made it obvious that he was going to be traded, so not only did teams have a flag up about the injury and his ability to come back, but they knew he was going to be traded or released. I think he'll do well in Miami, but Childress has done the right things in MN. We have to watch out for a power running game that we haven't seen from the land of the puple queens for a long time, because they solidified the line and C. Taylor will be a feature back for fantasy teams this year. I'll give Childress props so far.

Rastak
06-05-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm surprised that very little has been mentioned about how that trade went down. Culpepper's trade value was 0. Obviously he had the injury, but the timing of his demands for more money and when his bonus was due made it obvious that he was going to be traded, so not only did teams have a flag up about the injury and his ability to come back, but they knew he was going to be traded or released. I think he'll do well in Miami, but Childress has done the right things in MN. We have to watch out for a power running game that we haven't seen from the land of the puple queens for a long time, because they solidified the line and C. Taylor will be a feature back for fantasy teams this year. I'll give Childress props so far.

Don't forget Tony Richardson, that should also help the running game.

mngolf19
06-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Childress is not good at dealing with the media, but I see no reason to question his coaching abilities yet. The Culpepper trade was the right thing to do, and they got the best they could for him. McKinnie will be signed to an extension by the end of the year if he plays well, and if not then they will move him along because of his character issues. See ya. As for him being a bad pick, he has been a starter since he got here and so getting him instead of Sims was a stroke of luck, not a bad pick.

This reporter is not only stating old news, but rehashing things that have long since been proven different. Not a reliable source. And in my opinion, embarrasses himself to fans of the Vikes, they know better. This is just fodder for fans of other teams only.

MJZiggy
06-05-2006, 12:26 PM
mngolf, I'm with you. I was just wondering how they made the jump from "Childress has a big mouth" to Childress's job is in jeopardy. I don't see any quotes or suggestions coming from the Vikings front office to suggest this is true or from any team source to confirm this notion. The only thing it says is that people around the league wish he'd shut his pie hole. Hell, we've all been wishing that since the moment he opened it, but neither we nor any other league sources have any say in who the Vikings deem fit to run their team.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-05-2006, 04:35 PM
The Vikes trading away Moss was the best thing that happened to the Packers last year. Culpepper's trade is the best thing to happen to the Pack this year thus far. I am sick of having to watch Culpepper throw a TD to kick the Pack's asses and then do the traveling dance with his arms rolling.

GM Ted "Polar Bear" Thompson always always always hibernates during the peak of the free agency period, even with $35 M, so any downgrade by the Vikes is a good thing.

Gosh, Ted Thomspon sucks.

BigDmoney
06-05-2006, 05:02 PM
i'm totally on borad with Childress. If for no other reason that I have been purple fan for 25 years (i'm 29 now) and really, really hated where the vikings were at at the end of last eyar. I don't think there has ever been a coach in the NFL as underqualified and showed it on the field than Mike Tice. I am in now way comparing Childress to these coaches, but guys like Bill Parcells and Brian Billicheck have been know for there unwillingness to cooperate with the media. Tice was one of the most honest and upfront coaches with the media and he is a terrible coach. From the time Childress and zigi Wilf have taken over this team, it seems as though a huge attitude change has been made.

jack's smirking revenge
06-06-2006, 09:32 AM
i'm totally on borad with Childress. If for no other reason that I have been purple fan for 25 years (i'm 29 now) and really, really hated where the vikings were at at the end of last eyar. I don't think there has ever been a coach in the NFL as underqualified and showed it on the field than Mike Tice. I am in now way comparing Childress to these coaches, but guys like Bill Parcells and Brian Billicheck have been know for there unwillingness to cooperate with the media. Tice was one of the most honest and upfront coaches with the media and he is a terrible coach. From the time Childress and zigi Wilf have taken over this team, it seems as though a huge attitude change has been made.

What's your take on Fran Foley and the Vikes 2006 draft?

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
06-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Some of the Packers bad press is going to the Vikings. I must say that I don't have a lot of respect for "the Czar".

Vikes banking on Childress, Johnson
John Czarnecki
Special to FOXSports.com

Minnesota can be a great place. The lakes, the fresh air, the snowmobiles. But something is amiss with the Vikings, the pride of the Dakotas and the upper Midwest, too.

It started with the general lack of support for former head coach Mike Tice, who tried to micro-manage everything and failed. For some reason, the Vikings have always looked the other way on a player's character, and the club has paid the public-relations' price with such departed stars as Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper and by giving $10 million to Fred Smoot of Love Boat infamey, such a talented cornerback that the Washington Redskins couldn't wait to pack his bags.

They gambled on running back Onterrio Smith and lost when he was caught with the Whizzanator, but that mistake didn't teach them anything. Instead, they picked up receiver Koren Robinson, who was suspended numerous times by the Seattle Seahawks before finally being put on the streets.

In the past, former head coach Denny Green could control the characters on this team, but his love-hate relationship with the media took its toll and he devised his own firing, leaving former owner Red McCombs shell-shocked and a lot poorer. McCombs then simply promoted Tice because it was easy and also fiscally responsible.

New owner Zygi Wilf inherited some of this baggage and after a rocky first season decided to clean house. Wilf totally whiffed on one of his first major hires, having already fired top personnel man Fran Foley, the legal settlement pending. Also, he rushed to hire Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress and give him all this power like he's the second coming of Bill Belichick.

Well, that's the way it is now, after the so-called Triangle of Authority disintegrated with the ousting of Foley. This week, Wilf hired Rick Spielman, whom he passed over originally, to assume Foley's role. Like other unemployed executives, Spielman was binding his time with ESPN waiting for his phone to ring.

Spielman probably owes his job to contract negotiator Rob Brzezinski, a club vice president. The two are good friends and should work well together. Both have plenty of compassion, being fathers of adopted children. They are good men. Wilf deserves credit for promoting both of them.

Spielman, though, has been an unlucky personnel director. When he worked pro personnel for the Chicago Bears, that team never had a Pro Bowl player, the signature of an excellent personnel judge. Chicago's big mistake during his tenure was wasting a first-round draft pick on quarterback Rick Mirer. Spielman then followed former Bears coach Dave Wannstedt to Miami where they spent a second-round pick on Eagles quarterback A.J. Feeley and gave up a ton to New Orleans for running back Ricky Williams. There is no doubt that Williams was productive, but he's out of the NFL and his retirement cost Wannstedt and Spielman their jobs.

So what part of the new Triangle of Authority fits Spielman?

"I was on the outside and looked at this Triangle of Authority," Spielman told Minnesota reporters. "I think that was something the media labeled on this thing. I don't think there's a Triangle of Authority. I want to get to know the coaches. I want to build a relationship with the coaches and the personnel staff."

The bottom line is that Spielman will attempt to do what is best for the organization.

Finally, what are the expectations? Minnesota's most recent college draft was roundly criticized league-wide, but there remains enormous pressure on the organization to improve on last year's 9-7 record. Why? Because the perception is that Tice messed it up and what he didn't mess up the players did by their foolish public sex party on the Love Boat. The idea is that Childress is no-nonsense and head and shoulders strategy-wise above Tice.

But is that reality?

Childress is banking on quarterback Brad Johnson, who will turn 38 in September. But will Johnson still be standing and be in one piece come December? The running game will now feature Mewelde Moore, who has been very unreliable, starting only eight games last season. The offensive line is solid, but the playmakers are tight end Jermaine Wiggins and Travis Taylor, two solid receivers; but neither is a game-breaker.

Childress needs Troy Williamson and Robinson to become stars right away. If that happens, Minnesota has a chance. But so much is riding on Johnson and Childress to deliver in a big way.

The best approach is probably to sit back and wait and see. For the most part, that's how Childress has treated the situation. He can do that, along with hiding from the media like he did when Spielman was hired.

mngolf19
06-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Harv, I agree with you on "the Czar". He obviously isn't talking to or watching the Vikes. They are going to a Seattle/Pitt type offense that has big play potential but is based around a power running game. This takes all the pressure off of Johnson. It also only means that Williamson and Robinson get open in single coverage and catch the ball when thrown. Basic and simple, no stars outside of OL required. At least on the offense.

HarveyWallbangers
06-06-2006, 12:33 PM
It also only means that Williamson and Robinson get open in single coverage and catch the ball when thrown.

That's assuming they can run the ball very well.

mngolf19
06-06-2006, 12:38 PM
It also only means that Williamson and Robinson get open in single coverage and catch the ball when thrown.

That's true, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't. You don't have to be a great back to run behind that left side.

Rastak
06-06-2006, 12:50 PM

The running game should be ok. Line is much better than last year and they now have two offensive line coaches instaed of friggen zero like last year..... :evil: