PDA

View Full Version : Harrell out

SkinBasket
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
According to the JSO blog, Harrell will not be taking part in the upcoming practice sessions due to a back injury.

One a positive note with obvious Super Bowl implications, Noah Herron is cleared to practice.

A list of other "injured" players can be found here;

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/05/20/harrell-sidelined-again.aspx

Deputy Nutz
05-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Thats the problem with these OTAs, everyone makes a big deal about them when a player doesn't participate, it is like cell phones, How did we get by without them?

Lurker64
05-20-2008, 02:49 PM
No big deal, McCarthy has shown repeatedly that he will sit anybody in preseason activities if there's any chance whatsoever that they'll aggravate an injury.

Patler
05-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I have to admit, this is a tiny bit interesting because Harrell was seemingly healthy at the end of the season, and his previous problems were not reported as back problems. This seems to be something new. The other listed players are no surprise, and their injuries are listed as what we knew they had for problems at the end of the season.

Then again, as others have noted, MM seems exceedingly cautious about these things.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
I really dont give a fuck! Its Justin Harrell for fuck's sake! He suck!

sheepshead
05-20-2008, 04:08 PM

That means he's heading to Canton for sure!

hurleyfan
05-20-2008, 06:51 PM

Man Tank, you have become over-bearingly negative :x :evil:

RashanGary
05-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Yikes. Back injuries are scary because they can nag and nag. Hopefully it's just muscle strain and he can get it together.

b bulldog
05-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Hopefully he hasn't put any bad weight on. Back and knee issues are worth being interested in when it comes to DT'S.

b bulldog
05-20-2008, 07:01 PM
bLACKMON IS ALSO on the report. He truely can't stay healthy, hopefully Jolley can recover and be 100%.

MadtownPacker
05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Last year I was ok with him being jacked up but this year we should expected nothing less than for Harrell to come out strong and be a noticeable force in the middle. He was shown the money for doing almost nothing last season.

I though he would come into this season determined to make a name for himself but not like this. Unless this injury happened while working out or something football related my scale on him has started tipping the wrong way.

b bulldog
05-20-2008, 08:49 PM
When your a first round pick and you can barely get through the Dline drills, that was when my red flag went up.

packers11
05-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Get off this guy... Jesus, its only OTAS... Last year i believe woodson and harris didn't show up and people were hitting the fan...

I'll start talking shit about Harrell when training camp comes and if he isn't showing anything then...

UNTIL THEN... SILENCE... because I might have to bump this thread up when he is having his breakout year... :lol:

The Leaper
05-21-2008, 12:26 PM
When your a first round pick and you can barely get through the Dline drills, that was when my red flag went up.

Yep, that drunk Favre guy was a real turd. Glad you raised the red flag on that one.

MadtownPacker
05-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Get off this guy... Jesus, its only OTAS... Last year i believe woodson and harris didn't show up and people were hitting the fan...

I'll start talking shit about Harrell when training camp comes and if he isn't showing anything then...

UNTIL THEN... SILENCE... because I might have to bump this thread up when he is having his breakout year... :lol:Very bad comparison. Harris and Woodson are vets who have proved themselves year after year against some of the best. JH hasnt even served up half a season. After being considered a risky move he needs to show he was worth the gamble.

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Woodson and Harris are absent from the OTA. Harrell had "minor back surgery" early in the offseason. For what it's worth, McCarthy said he's doing fine and that the Packers are being cautious. Barbre opened camp as the starter at LG.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/05/21/woodson-harris-absent-at-start-of-otas.aspx

Fritz
05-21-2008, 03:45 PM

My dog's red flag went up when I told him about Harrell not being available. His red flag went up when I told him the next day that Noah Herron was available. His red flag goes up when somebody pets him.

I think the Bulldog's red flag, being that he is a dog and all, may be prone to going up a lot. This makes him neither wrong nor right. It's just part of his nature.

b bulldog
05-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Show me where Brett in school had a history of drinking problems or injury to cause concern :lol: as Harrell does with motivation and injury :lol:

sharpe1027
05-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Show me where Brett in school had a history of drinking problems or injury to cause concern :lol: as Harrell does with motivation and injury :lol:

Since when does a bicep tear make someone more likely to have a back injury?

Motivation problems? : His biceps tendon was torn from the entry point in his upper arm. The injury required surgery, however Harrell played the next game against the Florida Gators before having the required surgery.

Honestly.

Bretsky
05-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Woodson and Harris are absent from the OTA. Harrell had "minor back surgery" early in the offseason. For what it's worth, McCarthy said he's doing fine and that the Packers are being cautious. Barbre opened camp as the starter at LG.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/05/21/woodson-harris-absent-at-start-of-otas.aspx

Didn't McCarthy say Marvel Underwood was way ahead of schedule and looking well also ?

RashanGary
05-21-2008, 06:30 PM
I was concerned with Jennings injuries last year. He went from ankle his rookie season to hip flexor to hammy, then he finially made it the rest of the way.

Harrell concerns me more because his game depends a lot on strength and I can't imagine he's building too much of it with a bad back. With him missing another important stretch of the off season, I don't expect him to explode this year. I can see him making small improvment from below average to average. Had he been healthy, maybe he could have taken the bigger jump but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. I'm disappointed.

Bretsky
05-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I was concerned with Jennings injuries last year. He went from ankle his rookie season to hip flexor to hammy, then he finially made it the rest of the way.

Harrell concerns me more because his game depends a lot on strength and I can't imagine he's building too much of it with a bad back. With him missing another important stretch of the off season, I don't expect him to explode this year. I can see him making small improvment from below average to average. Had he been healthy, maybe he could have taken the bigger jump but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. I'm disappointed.

It's just OTA

If he shows signs of being less than 100% come training camp then I'll be very disappointed

Patler
05-21-2008, 06:48 PM

It's just OTA

If he shows signs of being less than 100% come training camp then I'll be very disappointed

Except that right now, and for the last couple months is the exact time that he should be building strength and power in the weight room. They take some time off after the season to allow their bodies to recuperate, then use the spring and early summer to work in the weight room with specific goals for increases. If Harrell had back surgery a while back, it seems that he will miss most of the off season strength building program.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-21-2008, 07:20 PM

It's just OTA

Except that right now, and for the last couple months is the exact time that he should be building strength and power in the weight room. They take some time off after the season to allow their bodies to recuperate, then use the spring and early summer to work in the weight room with specific goals for increases. If Harrell had back surgery a while back, it seems that he will miss most of the off season strength building program.

Injured lifting weights. Let'ts go back to the days when year round training wasn't the norm. :roll:

He had MINOR back surgery..on a disc. Let's not blow this up into a major issue.

Patler
05-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Well, apparently justin doesn't follow the patlet offseason has he was injured lifting weights. :roll:

He had MINOR back surgery..on a disc. Let's not blow this up into a major issue.

He was following it exactly, you seemed to miss what I said. He apparently hurt himself already over a month ago. Probably at the early weight room sessions. They usually start in about March. If he had back surgery he has been limited ever since then, and apparently is limited now and will be until sometime in the future.

It's not a big deal by any means, but no matter how you look at it he will miss or be limited for most of the off-season weight program this year, too; just like last year.

Patler
05-21-2008, 07:38 PM
For those interested:

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 03/13/2008
First- and second-year players begin their offseason workouts on Monday, followed by veteran players two weeks later, on March 31.

The offseason program is a time during which players combine strength and conditioning workouts with one-on-one instructional time with their position coaches, and for one of the youngest teams in the NFL, the strides made a year ago during this time paid significant dividends.

Looks like Harrell may have been injured in the early weeks of the program.

MadtownPacker
05-21-2008, 07:46 PM
It's not a big deal by any means, but no matter how you look at it he will miss or be limited for most of the off-season weight program this year, too; just like last year.There it is right there!

Only difference is no CWilliams to depend on. TT has to be sweating this one now.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Well, apparently justin doesn't follow the patlet offseason has he was injured lifting weights. :roll:

He was following it exactly, you seemed to miss what I said. He apparently hurt himself already over a month ago. Probably at the early weight room sessions. They usually start in about March. If he had back surgery he has been limited ever since then, and apparently is limited now and will be until sometime in the future.

It's not a big deal by any means, but no matter how you look at it he will miss or be limited for most of the off-season weight program this year, too; just like last year.

NO, i don't think you got my sarcasm.

THey lift in season as well. I'm not worried about his strength whatsover.

As for last year...that is a bit of a stretch to use the offseason..he was coming outta college and an injury. Nobody was expecting much from him.

woodbuck27
05-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Green Bay - Defensive tackle Justin Harrell, who missed last year's off-season practices due to injury, is out again.

According to the Packers' website, Harrell (back), Johnny Jolly (shoulder) and cornerback Will Blackmon (foot) will not participate in the 13 practice sessions but "should be cleared for the start of training camp."

Six other players will not initially participate in practices but could return. They are: defensive tackles Daniel Muir (pectoral muscle) and Colin Cole (forearm), linebacker Abdul Hodge (knees), fullback John Kuhn (groin), offensive lineman Cameron Stephenson (calf) and tight end Tory Humphrey (ankle).

The fella's highlghted concern me.

It's simple.

They're all under contract and can be declared for the most part missing for action. When their contracts expire they wll be assessed as to their contributon and gven an honorary dscharge if the balance scale says not avalable.

Patler
05-21-2008, 09:10 PM

As for last year...that is a bit of a stretch to use the offseason..he was coming outta college and an injury. Nobody was expecting much from him.

Lifting in season is done STRICTLY for strength maintenance, not for gains. Even during the offseason, they taper their programs down before training camp begins.

If Harrell is limited from their off season program due to his surgery he will have made none of the strength gains that 1st and 2nd year players typically do. Personally, I don't think it is a big deal, because Harrell is reputed to be a naturally strong and very powerful individual. But, it is not totally irrelevant either.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-21-2008, 09:15 PM

Lifting in season is done STRICTLY for strength maintenance, not for gains. Even during the offseason, they taper their programs down before training camp begins.

If Harrell is limited from their off season program due to his surgery he will have made none of the strength gains that 1st and 2nd year players typically do. Personally, I don't think it is a big deal, because Harrell is reputed to be a naturally strong and very powerful individual. But, it is not totally irrelevant either.

Agreed, about strength vs. conditioning lifting.

I"m much more worried about conditioning than stength right now with JH.

And, strength is derived from the legs for a DT like him..you don't get "push" from the upper body. He isn't reggie who had ridiculous upper body strength.

Patler
05-21-2008, 09:25 PM

And, strength is derived from the legs for a DT like him..you don't get "push" from the upper body. He isn't reggie who had ridiculous upper body strength.

Of course their legs are important. They "lift" for those, too; and while he may be able to do somethings for his legs, he won't develop explosive power from riding a stationary bike.

Packnut
05-22-2008, 07:34 AM
While the disc injury itself was'nt a major thing, it just adds to the pattern of Harrell's EXTENSIVE injury history going back to HS. It's a pattern Thompson neglected to see and shame on him for taking that kind of risk with the 16th pick in the draft..............

sharpe1027
05-22-2008, 09:35 AM
While the disc injury itself was'nt a major thing, it just adds to the pattern of Harrell's EXTENSIVE injury history going back to HS. It's a pattern Thompson neglected to see and shame on him for taking that kind of risk with the 16th pick in the draft..............

I was only aware of an ankle and biceps injury. What other problems has he had?

Either way, suggesting that Thompson didn't know his history backwards and forwards is disingenuous. I'm sure it was factored into the selection. Could it be that TT took a risk on a guy because he had a lot of upside and still might be a steal at 16? *gasp*

The critics say that TT is too conservative AND now they are saying that he shouldn't take risks...

Bretsky
05-22-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure if I see huge upside with Harrell. Big bodies like him can clog the middle. What seperates an ok DT from a special one is that initital burst and penetration to pressure the QB. That's what we need to see to truly make this pick worthwhile. Time will tell whether he ends up being that or his injury history will have him nicknamed Harriette :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
05-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Of course their legs are important. They "lift" for those, too; and while he may be able to do somethings for his legs, he won't develop explosive power from riding a stationary bike.

I know they lift for their legs. But, let's face it, he has probably made enough gains in that area to be fine in the NFL.

JH is an athlete..he already has explosive power. IF he didn't, he woulda been a 6th round pick.

Packnut
05-22-2008, 06:20 PM

Either way, suggesting that Thompson didn't know his history backwards and forwards is disingenuous. I'm sure it was factored into the selection. Could it be that TT took a risk on a guy because he had a lot of upside and still might be a steal at 16? *gasp*

The critics say that TT is too conservative AND now they are saying that he shouldn't take risks...

It's one thing thing to get hurt in college, but Harrell was hurt in freakin HS! I think it's a safe bet that he was injured in Pee wee also :lol: .

His HS injuries were discussed on ESPN when he was drafted. Injury prone was also mentioned.

My point here is that you take risks on 6th and 7th rd picks, NOT THE 16TH PICK IN THE DRAFT. This recent injury validates a serious trend. Now sure, you can sit around and HOPE this kid can someday stay healthy, but last time I checked, Reggie Nelson is healthy and attending OTA's. I also recall him playing the WHOLE ROOKIE season and being on the all rookie team.

And just for the record, Nelson is not a "hindsight" pick. Both Bretsky and I were singing his praises on this forum BEFORE the draft.......... :shock:

Tyrone Bigguns
05-22-2008, 06:47 PM

It's one thing thing to get hurt in college, but Harrell was hurt in freakin HS! I think it's a safe bet that he was injured in Pee wee also :lol: .

His HS injuries were discussed on ESPN when he was drafted. Injury prone was also mentioned.

My point here is that you take risks on 6th and 7th rd picks, NOT THE 16TH PICK IN THE DRAFT. This recent injury validates a serious trend. Now sure, you can sit around and HOPE this kid can someday stay healthy, but last time I checked, Reggie Nelson is healthy and attending OTA's. I also recall him playing the WHOLE ROOKIE season and being on the all rookie team.

And just for the record, Nelson is not a "hindsight" pick. Both Bretsky and I were singing his praises on this forum BEFORE the draft.......... :shock:

Who cares if he was injured in high school..apparently not Tenn..where he played and dominated enough to be thought of as a first round pick.

Please post some facts regarding his injuries in high school...until then, i question the veracity of your memory.

The guy was an all american by prep star...mr. football for 2a...and started 3 years on the bball team...doesn't sound like he was injured severely if he somehow came off football season and then started in basketball.

He was a 3 year starter at Tenn...and let's not forget...did play his rookie year for us.

As for Nelson...judging players and their careers after ONE season is stupid.

sharpe1027
05-22-2008, 09:43 PM
It's one thing thing to get hurt in college, but Harrell was hurt in freakin HS!

The significance of getting hurt in HS vs. college is lost on me.

Guiness
05-22-2008, 11:23 PM
I would have to think this injury does impact him pretty seriously...I agree with Patler that being limited in his participation of off-season activities will harm his development. That the jump you see out of 2nd year players is because they are pros - and can devote themselves entirely to their trade. For a DT, this means strength gains that can be had when all you have to worry about is eating, sleeping and working out.

Sure, he's got good (probably great) natural strength and explosiveness. So does pretty much every guy in the NFL though, so you can't give up and edge.

I think we'll basically see him in the form he would've been in for his rookie year this season if he hadn't been hurt, as opposed to a guy with a year under his belt.