PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News : GB, NYG won't be in playoffs in '08

motife
05-20-2008, 09:23 PM
it's actually that weasel from PFT writing for TSN :

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=413960

Six NFL teams unlikely to make playoff returns in '08

In the first part of a three-part series, Mike Florio identifies six teams that aren't likely to return to the playoffs this season after making it in 2007:

Of the 12 teams that qualify for the playoffs each year, roughly six of them don't make it back the following season. Last year, for example, the Ravens, Chiefs, Jets, Bears, Saints and Eagles didn't get back to the postseason after making it in 2006. (Taking their places were the Steelers, Jaguars, Titans, Redskins, Packers and Buccaneers.)

So the challenge for those of us who pretend we know more about how a given NFL season will turn out than the average fan is to try to identify the half-dozen teams from the 2007 postseason field that won't return, and the half-dozen teams that will replace them.

And because the challenge for those of us who have to come up with two columns per week as part of a side gig with SportingNews.com includes doing so during the slow weeks of the NFL calendar, this idea has the makings of a trilogy.

In the first installment, I'll try to nail down the six playoff teams that won't get back to the postseason. Later in the week, I'll predict (guess) six that won't take their places. Finally, I'll take a stab at identifying the six that will.

Without further ado, my six picks not to return to the playoffs.

1. Pittsburgh Steelers The Steelers of the free-agency era have developed a trend of exceeding low expectations and failing to meet high ones. In 2006, the Super Bowl champs didn't make it back to play in January. A year ago, with no one expecting much from a team breaking in only its third head coach in nearly 40 years, the Steelers won the division.

This year, expectations are high again -- especially with the Bengals imploding, the Ravens rebuilding, and the Browns generally regarded as overrated. In other words, the stage is set for the Steelers to fail.

If they do, it will happen because of an offensive line that got much worse after the departure of left guard Alan Faneca. Although the team used its first two draft picks on high-profile skill-position players (Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed), these rookies won't make much of an impact with no one to block for them. The defensive line received no real upgrade despite the team's desire to do so, and the linebackers and defensive backs are getting older but not necessarily better.

In all, six of 11 starters on defense will be 30 or older by the end of September. That's not a good sign for a team that will need strong performances from the traditional strength of the franchise to prop up an offense that might not score points in bunches.

2. Tennessee Titans The Titans are the most likely '07 playoff team not to get back to the postseason. They snuck in last year because of, in part, a decision by Colts coach Tony Dungy not to contest to the wire a Week 17 game against the Titans that allowed them to secure a berth. And Tennessee has not done much to improve, despite having plenty of money to spend in free agency.

Quarterback Vince Young regressed just enough in his second season to get offensive coordinator Norm Chow fired. The move drew instant comparisons to the previous situation with Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, whose flaws as a passer were masked some by the franchise's efforts to identify a continual string of scapegoats.

Although Mike Heimerdinger brings a new offense to Tennessee, Young hasn't gotten much help on the field. At least having Vick's former favorite target, Alge Crumpler, around will be helpful, especially because the receiving corps is mediocre and no effort was made to improve it.

In an ultra-competitive AFC South, with a high-quality Colts squad, an ascending Jaguars franchise and an improving Texans team, one of the four teams has to land in the basement.

And that team very well could be the Titans.

3. Washington Redskins The Redskins rallied late in '07, coming together as a cohesive unit after the tragic death of safety Sean Taylor. They unexpectedly qualified for the playoffs, sneaking in as the sixth seed and nearly shocking the Seahawks in the wild-card round.

But then came the unexpected retirement of coach Joe Gibbs, followed by the curious decision to hire Seattle quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn as the offensive coordinator, and then to promote him to head coach. Zorn very well might become a great head coach, but it's a tall order to expect him to navigate a competitive NFC East and get back to the postseason.

The Redskins would have been wise to give the gig to defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who is now with the Jaguars. In a league where continuity means more than ever before, making the next coach a guy with whom the players were familiar would have been the best way to get a roster that hasn't seen much offseason overhaul (for a change) back into the playoffs.

4. Green Bay Packers The departure of quarterback Brett Favre creates a huge void at the most important position on the field. If the Packers truly believed Aaron Rodgers will be the answer, they wouldn't have drafted Brian Brohm. Or Matt Flynn. Or both of them.

Although the Packers have a solid young team that showed real improvement as the '07 season unfolded, the retirement of Favre and the memories of a deflating overtime loss in the NFC title game will make it hard for Green Bay to separate from the pack in '08. That will create an opening for a team such as the Vikings to swipe the division title.

5. Seattle Seahawks With coach Mike Holmgren entering his final year on the sideline and the team's next head coach (Jim Mora) already working in the building, there's a strange vibe coming out of Seattle. Shaun Alexander, the league MVP in 2005, is long gone, and the hole in the left side of the line that was created by the departure of Steve Hutchinson in 2006 is still there.

The rest of the team seems stagnant, in a division with three other squads that could be getting better. If only one of them delivers, the Seahawks will lose their hold on the NFC West.

6. New York Giants Yeah, this is the shocker. How could the team that won the Super Bowl not make the playoffs?

Well, the Giants previously won the Super Bowl in 1986 and in 1990. In both instances, they didn't qualify for the playoffs the next season.

Sure, the organization has changed dramatically in the 17 years since that last happened. But the point is, it's not unprecedented for a team to win it all, and then to struggle the next time around.

The Giants got hot at the right time and stayed hot all the way through the Super Bowl. That's a far cry from starting over with no wins and no losses -- especially when they'll have a huge bull's-eye on their backs come September.

The pressure will be high, and the potential for dysfunction is still present. If the Giants stumble, and the media swarms and guys such as Michael Strahan, Jeremy Shockey, Plaxico Burress begin to pop off, and Eli pulls his Manning-sized head back into its shell, the outcome in '08 could be far different from what it was in '07.

Joemailman
05-20-2008, 10:59 PM
[quote]

4. Green Bay Packers The departure of quarterback Brett Favre creates a huge void at the most important position on the field. If the Packers truly believed Aaron Rodgers will be the answer, they wouldn't have drafted Brian Brohm. Or Matt Flynn. Or both of them.

This is a stupid comment. First of all, someone needs to be the #2 and #3 quarterbacks. Second, if the Packers did not believe Rodgers was the answer, I hardly think they would be willing to go into the season with rookies as their backups.

Bretsky
05-20-2008, 11:01 PM
I agree; Ted believes we can succeed this year with Rodgers

And while I'm sometimes critical of TT I'm giving him the benefit this time and have faith that AROD will lead GB to a title in a still weak division

GoPackGo
05-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Clearly Vinnie Iyer didn't proof read this before it was published.
Drafting 2 QB's filled a hole the Packers had after Brett announced he was retiring. According to this author if the packers were confident in Rodgers they would have hired washed up QB's or people off the street to back him up. :roll:

oregonpackfan
05-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Making wild predictions like these before the season starts or even before training camp starts shows me the guy just want press coverage.

Someone needs to archive this article and show just off base the writer probably will become.

BF4MVP
05-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Biggest load of crap I've read this offseason...Sporting News must not have watched the press conferences from MM and TT after the draft if they think that Brohm and Flynn were drafted because they don't have confidence in Aaron Rodgers....PS Green Bay is a playoff team, no doubt in my mind..

The Leaper
05-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Yawn.

Jon Kitna will dress as Eliot Spitzer this year at Halloween...and his wife will come as a sexy $2500 an hour skank. There's my prediction.

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I'll defend Florio. The premise of the story is a good one. Usually, half of the playoff teams don't make the playoffs the next year, and I don't have a big problem with those that think Green Bay will be one of those teams (with Favre retiring). However, the fact Florio is a Vikings fan always taints his opinion.
:D

The Leaper
05-21-2008, 11:35 AM
If I had to rate the 2007 playoff teams in the order of most to least likely of missing the playoffs in 2008.

1. Titans - no chance at the division, no chance at a wild card.
2. Redskins - no chance at the division, no chance at a wild card.

3. Giants - no chance at the division, slim chance at a wild card.

4. Steelers - decent chance at the division, slim chance at a wild card.
5. Tampa Bay - decent chance at the division, slim chance at a wild card.
6. Seahawks - decent chance at the division, slim chance at a wild card.
7. Packers - decent chance at the division, slim chance at a wild card.

To me, teams 4-7 are almost interchangable...each has a reasonable chance at the division, but will be in a huge fight for a wild card if they miss the division crown. I give the Steelers the smallest chance because either IND or JAX will grab one of the AFC wild card spots.

8. Jaguars - decent chance at the division, strong chance at a wild card
9. Colts - decent chance at the division, strong chance at a wild card

10. Cowboys - strong chance at the division, strong chance at a wild card
11. Chargers - strong chance at the division, strong chance at a wild card

12. Patriots - lock on the division, won't need a wild card

Zool
05-21-2008, 11:37 AM
So who's going to win the NFC wildcard? Everyone 4-7 has a slim chance. The Cowboys have a strong chance, but no one in their division has any chance to take the division.

wist43
05-21-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't see how the Packers can be appreciably better than they were last year... Even if Rodgers is "OK", Favre played better than okay last year, so it is legitimate to expect a decrease in production from the most important position on the team.

Beyond that, there likely won't be any new starters, and at one position (DT) we've definitely taken a step backward. Nickelback will likely continue to be a problem - don't think anyone is expecting much from Lee this year.

The Packers can win the division if Chicago and Minnesota implode, but they aren't much of a threat to make a playoff run.

We're now into the post-Favre doldrums... flounder around between 6-10 and 10-6 until we find "the guy".

Zool
05-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Nickelback will likely continue to be a problem

I agree. Those guys should never have been signed to a recording contract.

The Leaper
05-21-2008, 12:24 PM
So who's going to win the NFC wildcard? Everyone 4-7 has a slim chance. The Cowboys have a strong chance, but no one in their division has any chance to take the division.

I'm not listing any teams that didn't make the playoffs last year. Some of those teams would have better chances of making the playoffs than the 12 who made it last year. Philly IMO has the best chance to topple Dallas, albeit a slim one.

DonHutson
05-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Not surprising at all. Media types always overvalue roster changes and undervalue the existing roster this time of year. Plus, our existing talent was always overshadowed by Favre anyway.

So you combine no big free agent signings with probably no immediate impact draft picks, the talking heads will predict regression. Factor in Favre leaving. No media type who's trying to look smart is going to go out on a limb for Aaron Rodgers in the middle of May.

All in all, the Packers off-season is very well set up to be shat upon by the media. Well you know what? The NFL is a meritocracy, not a democracy. Games are won on the field, and this clown's vote doesn't count for anything.

The surprise is that Ted's annual 'show about nothing' is starting to get some good reviews in the general media from time to time. Most of us have been seeing the dividends for awhile, but the national media needed a 13 win season to spin nothing into something. The Packers win with Rodgers and 'nothing' will be the new black.

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2008, 12:35 PM
No media type who's trying to look smart is going to go out on a limb for Aaron Rodgers in the middle of May.

You haven't met my boy, Vinnie Iyer, have you?
:D

sharpe1027
05-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Not surprising at all. Media types always overvalue roster changes and undervalue the existing roster this time of year.

Look no further than San Francisco for proof of this.

I fully understand that Rodgers is a big fat ?

Even if the team does regress some, they are regressing from a 13-3 season and didn't lose much else. I see them at 9-7 even if Rodgers struggles. That might be enough to win the division...

Charles Woodson
05-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Not surprising at all. Media types always overvalue roster changes and undervalue the existing roster this time of year.

Last year, for example, the Ravens, Chiefs, Jets, Bears, Saints and Eagles didn't get back to the postseason after making it in 2006. (Taking their places were the Steelers, Jaguars, Titans, Redskins, Packers and Buccaneers.)

For real, all of those witht the exception of the Bears, had numerous additions ethier via the draft or FA, while on the other sides, the teams that he says wont make it didnt do much.

I have a hard time beliving that the ravens, chiefs, jets, and the bears will all make the playoffs. I dont think that 1 good draft will put the chiefs in the playoffs, and until Joe Flacco proves his stuff, the ravens are just as big of a ? as us.
I can see the Eagles making a wild-card.
The Saints did alot durring FA, and moved up in the draft to take the 2nd best DT. But im not sold on them.

DonHutson
05-21-2008, 01:01 PM
For real all of those witht the exception of the Bears, had numerous additions ethier via the draft or FA, while on the other sides, the teams that he says wont make it didnt do much.

I bet I can tell you his six new playoff teams right now, and why:

Cleveland - traded most of their draft for a new DL

Minnesota - traded most of their draft for one DE

New Orleans - big move in the draft for Sedrick Ellis, trade for Jonathan Vilma

Philadelphia - big move for Asante Samuel

Arizona - because some jackass always picks them to "break through" when all they ever do is break down

The final AFC team will truly test my theory. If he is really enamored with off-season moves he'll pick the Jets or Raiders to be the big surprise of the NFL next year.

mngolf19
05-21-2008, 01:12 PM

I agree with all but this. They traded 2 picks for 1 DE. Not "most of their draft".

Charles Woodson
05-21-2008, 01:34 PM

I agree with all but this. They traded 2 picks for 1 DE. Not "most of their draft".

Transactions
Vikings April 23: Acquired defensive end Jared Allen and a 2008 sixth-round pick from the Kansas City Chiefs for a first-round pick, two third-round picks and a sixth-round pick in 2008.

4 picks is technically half their draft, and is still a lot

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Well, it's 3 picks when you consider they got a pick back. I can't remember... did they move up or down with that 6th round switch?

However, it was 3 of their top 4 picks. Considering how poorly they've drafted in round 5-7 over the last several years, it's pretty close to being most of their draft.

They also lost their 4th round pick when they traded up for a safety in round 2.

texaspackerbacker
05-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Obviously, I disagree about the Packers.

I think he's dead wrong about the Steelers also. I'd give the Titans a slightly better than 50/50 chance to be in, and I don't see anybody beating out Seattle in their fairly weak division.

The Giants were a pure fluke, and the Redskins pretty much the same thing.

Tampa's chances wouldn't be very good either, except that nobody in their division is any better.

DonHutson
05-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Tampa's chances wouldn't be very good either, except that nobody in their division is any better.

I'd say the same about Seattle. They seem like a team in decline, but who in that division is going to step up? Cards? Rams? Niners? Pathetic.