PDA

View Full Version : OG Josh Sitton article

motife
05-20-2008, 09:38 PM
About 335 players were invited to the NFL’s scouting combine.
Josh Sitton, who the Green Bay Packers selected in the fourth round with the 135th overall draft pick, wasn’t among them.

What gives?

“I asked a number of scouts about that, and they just shook their head,” Central Florida’s offensive line coach, Tom Freeman, said in a phone interview on Monday.

One would think the NFL’s talent coordinators would have shown Sitton some love. After all, he started 39 games during his four years at Central Florida. He was a first-team all-Conference USA selection as a senior, when he helped Kevin Smith threaten Barry Sanders’ single-season rushing record.

Somehow, though, Sitton flew under the NFL’s radar. He did not, however, go unnoticed by the Packers. Even though Sitton played mostly right tackle at UCF, he seems to be a great fit at guard for the Packers. UCF’s No. 1 rushing play last season, Freeman said, was the inside zone, which is a staple in the Packers’ offense.

He also plays with a fire that is sometimes lacking in the Packers’ starting left guard, Daryn Colledge.

“He’s a rough and tumble guy,” said Freeman, who compared Sitton to former Packers guard Rich Moran, who he coached at San Diego State. “He’s also a very smart player. I told all the scouts that came through here that he was probably the smartest guy I’ve ever coached. He’s really football smart, and he makes changes on the field.”

He’s also got the balance and athleticism necessary to play the zone scheme.

“He’s got explosion and really fine balance,” Freeman said. “He’s a kid who’s got what you’re looking for. He was always on his feet, and that’s what we look for in recruiting and that’s what the coaches in that league look for.”

On draft day, Packers offensive line coach James Campen echoed many of the things Freeman said.

“Once he gets his hands on you, he’s Velcro. You’re not getting off this kid,” Campen said. “One of his biggest strengths is he plays with great passion, plays to the whistle.

“We had a great interview with him. He displayed the smarts and awareness on the grease board when he was here. He did an excellent job with that, and we’re excited to have him.”

Even if Sitton doesn’t challenge for a starting role immediately, his future on the roster seems secure. He played guard and tackle in college, and Campen said Sitton has what it takes to play center, as well.

“(At UCF), when I moved over and starting playing left guard and right guard and bouncing around, (scouts and coaches) noticed my versatility,” Sitton said during the rookie camp. “I think that’s really when I started turning a few heads.

“You have to be able to play more than one position at this level, and I definitely think versatility is my No. 1 attribute.”

Freeman boiled it down to a numbers game.

“I think he’s got a chance because he’s so darned smart. When (NFL teams) only suit seven or eight guys up (on game days), having that flexibility and football sense is really a must.”

Steve Lawrence is a frequent contributor to PackerReport.com. E-mail him at steve_lawrence_packers@yahoo.com

mission
05-20-2008, 10:33 PM
damn thats what hood cats would call a "good look" article

im excited!

ted thompson for prez (after BO of course...)

Tarlam!
05-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Weren't there similar "feelgood" articles written about every rookie the Packers ever drafted?

Hmm, OK, pass the Kool Aide. I'm losing some of my Homerism!

Bretsky
05-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Weren't there similar "feelgood" articles written about every rookie the Packers ever drafted?

Yes, I can recall several

Michael Hawkins- One of the best athletes in the draft
Orange Juice Coston- Incredibly athletic, a bit raw, but huge upside
Robert Ferguson- More ready to contribute right away than Chris Chambers
Cory Roders- The special teams ace

RashanGary
05-21-2008, 07:25 AM

I really like what they're saying abotu this one. He's tough and athletic, but he's also said to be a smart, adaptable athlete. I don't remember that ever being written about the guys above.

The Leaper
05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
The fact the kid was overlooked by some gives him a chip on his shoulder too. I like it.

Lurker64
05-21-2008, 08:44 AM

Well they have to write something about everybody we draft, and obviously not everybody is going to make it in this league or with the Packers, so some articles are going to be written touting guys who just don't make it. Don't also forget the articles analogous to this one that were written about the guys we weren't bullish on at the time (James Jones for a very recent example.)

motife
05-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Sitton sounds like another Mark Tauscher type to me. Very smart, very aggressive, never takes a play off, sticks to the defender like glue.

on a side note, Robert Ferguson was a different player before the neck injury on the tackle by Donovan Darius than he was after.