PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers on being 'injury prone'

woodbuck27
05-21-2008, 08:59 PM
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=10

Rodgers on being 'injury prone'

By Greg A. Bedard
Wednesday, May 21 2008, 07:40 PM

Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers spoke to the media for over 30 minutes today as he began life as "The Guy" at quarterback for the Green Bay Packers. There was a lot of interesting stuff that he said, and it will be covered in my story for tomorrow's paper. But there's one section that I wanted you guys to see now.

Rodgers was asked about the label he carries of being 'injury prone.' It's obviously one of the biggest topics going into his tenure under center for the Packers post Brett Favre. Here's what he had to say, including a little nugget that he had a torn hamstring last year -- "It was pretty bad."

You seem to take real offense when people call you injury prone...
I think it does kind of bother me to say that. To me, when somebody says injury prone, it has a negative connotation to it and a lot of times people can say you're soft because of it. I mean, I had a broken foot and a torn hamstring. And the other thing is when people who have never played by position or even laced them up before are calling me injury prone. I have a little bit of a problem with that. For anybody to call anybody in the NFL injury-prone is not a great idea unless you've played that position or the game for a long time because otherwise you don't really know what it's like to be an NFL player.

See LINK for the rest of ths story.

PACKERS FOREVER!

[/list][/list]

gbgary
05-21-2008, 10:32 PM
he HAS been injury prone. he can't deny it. i think it's weak when someone says your opinion is invalid because you've never "laced them up" before. he should have said "yes, i have been but i hope to turn that around." he's the biggest question mark going into the season.

HarveyWallbangers
05-21-2008, 11:11 PM
I like his attitude.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080521/PKR01/80521226/1058

Partial
05-21-2008, 11:14 PM
anyone else think he looks much, much bigger after this off-season? In his 4 years here, he has gone from a boy to a man. He looks bigger than Favre now.

Patler
05-22-2008, 06:10 AM
he HAS been injury prone. he can't deny it. i think it's weak when someone says your opinion is invalid because you've never "laced them up" before. he should have said "yes, i have been but i hope to turn that around." he's the biggest question mark going into the season.

Two injuries makes you "injury prone"?

MJZiggy
05-22-2008, 06:31 AM
anyone else think he looks much, much bigger after this off-season? In his 4 years here, he has gone from a boy to a man. He looks bigger than Favre now.

Big isn't everything. Wait...

vince
05-22-2008, 08:11 AM

Until this thread from early April (http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=12006&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=) degraded into a name-calling diatribe on body fat percentages and got moved into the GC, this subject was discussed previously.

Here's video from last year that shows Rodgers had gotten much bigger than when he came into the league before this offseason.
Rodgers in action last season. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yDNW_8nefQ)

Rodgers is still quite a bit smaller than both the good-sized rookie QBs, who both weigh in the low 230's.

Deputy Nutz
05-22-2008, 08:54 AM
He did go to the, "if you are not a pro football player shut the fuck up" line. Which he has a point, but the fans and media never like that.

Zool
05-22-2008, 09:08 AM
The guy had a broken foot and finished the game. That tells me something about him right there.

sheepshead
05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
I always thought people throw that term around too loosely. It's like saying a guy is a hall of fame type player, well until he's in the hall he isn't in the hall. Hells bells its the NFL. Theres 11 guys wanting nothing more than to flatten your ass on every snap. Favre was banged up plenty and he'll tell ya it was a lot of luck (and his back step) that keep his streak going. Let's not label the guy, as Taush said, let him come out and work hard and try to fill the shoes of a legend!
Looks to me like he's ready, willing and able.

sheepshead
05-22-2008, 09:11 AM
The guy had a broken foot and finished the game. That tells me something about him right there.

fuckin' hey

GrnBay007
05-22-2008, 09:16 AM
His strength and durability will come from his long hair. :P

Kinda funny, I didn't like it at first. Now I'm thinking it may make him stand out as OUR QB.

:D

Gunakor
05-22-2008, 10:35 AM

Kinda funny, I didn't like it at first. Now I'm thinking it may make him stand out as OUR QB.

A defensive lineman dragging Rodgers down by his hair is a legal tackle, as the hair is considered part of the jersey. I hope he cuts it off so defenders have less to grab on to trying to make a tackle.

I am NOT with the Chiefs in saying that all players should have to tuck thier hair into thier helmet or cut it off, but if you play offense I think it's a good idea. AJ Hawk doesn't have to cut his hair, nor does Atari Bigby or Al Harris. They are the hitters. Offensive players shouldn't HAVE to cut thier hair, but it's in thier best interest since they are the ones being tackled. Just my opinion.

Partial
05-22-2008, 10:46 AM

toughness != durability. He can be tough as nails and want to play but that doesn't mean he'll be cleared.

Just saying..

GoPackGo
05-22-2008, 10:46 AM

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may08/aaron21b.jpg

his success will depend on the shampoo and conditioner he chooses, but seriously he looks big! I'm stoked for the Rodgers era

Partial
05-22-2008, 10:48 AM

Until this thread from early April (http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=12006&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=) degraded into a name-calling diatribe on body fat percentages and got moved into the GC, this subject was discussed previously.

Here's video from last year that shows Rodgers had gotten much bigger than when he came into the league before this offseason.
Rodgers in action last season. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yDNW_8nefQ)

Rodgers is still quite a bit smaller than both the good-sized rookie QBs, who both weigh in the low 230's.

He looks a lot bigger to me this year in his shoulders and chest than he did even as recently as January.

Zool
05-22-2008, 10:57 AM

toughness != durability. He can be tough as nails and want to play but that doesn't mean he'll be cleared.

Just saying..

Yes it does. He'll play through things that other people wouldnt. Much like some other guy we had playing QB for a while.

sheepshead
05-22-2008, 11:00 AM
I have friends in No Cal that are big Cal fans that say he's the real deal and cant wait to see him get his chance-I think we should all be nothing but optimistic.

MadtownPacker
05-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I have criticized Rodgers for getting hurt after seeing some action but I have to say he looks improved. He has put on some muscle. You can tell he is much more solid. Hope his homies in the bay area didn't hook him up with something. :lol:

Pack-man
05-22-2008, 11:25 AM

He was not injury prone in college. Harrell is injury prone. Rodgers injuries have been freak injuries. He broke his foot when one of his linemen stepped on this foot. He finished that game too, thats pretty freakin tough.

I think its fair to make the "if you never laced em up" statement. Its true!

You gotta remember Favre was a freak. No QB plays that many games without missing a game.

GrnBay007
05-22-2008, 11:25 AM
his success will depend on the shampoo and conditioner he chooses, but seriously he looks big! I'm stoked for the Rodgers era

Don't forget setting gel.

Dang, nice legs!!!! No chicken legs there!!!! :D

woodbuck27
05-23-2008, 10:03 AM
I like his attitude.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080521/PKR01/80521226/1058

Bigger? So what.

I hope he can play even 12 games this season and half as good as the fella he reminds me of. . . '' Broadway Joe ''.

PACKERS FOREVER!

gbgary
05-24-2008, 10:48 PM

Two injuries makes you "injury prone"?

two season-enders and zero starts makes him either injury prone or incredibly unlucky, which are kinda the same thing. hey, i'm on his side. i hope he turns into a hall of famer. he'll play with pain...that does say something...one, that he's a tough guy, and two...that he's hurt. :D

Patler
05-25-2008, 07:10 AM
two season-enders and zero starts makes him either injury prone or incredibly unlucky, which are kinda the same thing. hey,

Two season enders????
The broken foot and........?????????????

bobblehead
05-25-2008, 08:37 AM
this is the only season that really matters.

sheepshead
05-25-2008, 09:06 AM
from Dan Pompei- Rodgers has "not proven to be durable"-That's a good way to put it.

Risky business in Green Bay
Pack counting on 2 rookies to back up QB Rodgers

Dan Pompei | On the NFL
May 25, 2008

Article tools

What the Packers are planning to do may be unprecedented in NFL history.

If the rest of the off-season, training camp and the preseason unfold the way the Packers envision it will, they will start the regular season with Aaron Rodgers, Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn as their quarterbacks. None of them has started a game in the NFL.

Rodgers has been in the league three years but never had a chance to start because he backed up iron man Brett Favre. Starting him now is unquestionably the right thing to do.

But where the Packers are stepping out is by going with two rookies to back up Rodgers.

Dan Pompei Dan Pompei E-mail | Recent columns

"On paper, it's not fun," Packers coach Mike McCarthy says. "The two rookies are accomplished quarterbacks. Brian has played a lot of football. Matt hasn't played as much, but he's a mature guy. We have to coach them up and get them ready. [Quarterbacks coach] Tom Clements does an outstanding job."

It's a risky approach for a number of reasons, the least of which is Rodgers has not proven to be durable. He has played in seven NFL games and suffered two injuries. So chances are good that the Packers will call upon their No. 2 quarterback at some point this season.

When Rodgers was a rookie, he was a primary backup, and that worked out fine. But he was backing up Favre—big difference.

The Packers are counting on their inexperienced passers benefiting from a deep and gifted group of wide receivers.

"Trust me, I understand the importance of the quarterback position in the NFL," McCarthy says. "But it's what's around him too. Do we have the ability to make that quarterback successful? I think we have the talent.

"We have a good solid team in all three phases to help the quarterback be successful."

Packers general manager Ted Thompson looked hard at the available veteran quarterbacks and decided against signing Quinn Early, Daunte Culpepper, Gus Frerotte and others. He leaves open the possibility the Packers still could go for a vet if the youngsters struggle.

McCarthy says the decision to go with two rookie backups was based on fit. That is, Brohm and Flynn fit with the Packers scheme and culture better than any of the available veterans would have.

The last thing the Packers wanted to do was bring in a veteran who would make Rodgers feel uncomfortable by trying to turn the locker room against him. In taking on the monumental assignment of replacing Favre, Rodgers needs to be supported, not threatened.

That might have more to do with the Packers quarterback roster than anything.

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Packers general manager Ted Thompson looked hard at the available veteran quarterbacks and decided against signing Quinn Early, Daunte Culpepper, Gus Frerotte and others. He leaves open the possibility the Packers still could go for a vet if the youngsters struggle.

Is that Quinn Gray or Early Doucet?

Iron Mike
05-25-2008, 09:54 AM
from Dan Pompei- Rodgers has "not proven to be durable"-That's a good way to put it.

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is a-goin' on here?

http://toddzilla.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/slim_pickens.jpg

Zool
05-25-2008, 10:30 AM

Earl Gray tea?

Brainerd
05-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Bowlers are athletes. It says so in this article about injury-prone athletes. (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6211-why-some-athletes-are-injuryprone.html)

Some sportspeople are more prone to injury than others, despite being fully fit. A new mathematical model of the body shows that these athletes rely on a fixed combination of movements that they cannot easily modify. The discovery might help in spotting injury-prone athletes early on.

cpk1994
05-26-2008, 09:56 AM

:DI didn't know Quinn Early moved from WR to QB. Isn't he like 75 years old right now? :D