PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Grant gonna get paid??

sheepshead
05-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Grant's agent will talk to Packers today

By Tom Pelissero and Pete Dougherty • tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com; pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com • May 22, 2008

* Read Comments(2)
* Recommend (1)
* Print this page
* E-mail this article

* Share this article:
* Del.icio.us
* Facebook
* Digg
* Reddit
* Newsvine
* What’s this?

Ryan Grant's agent expects to know within a day or two whether the Green Bay Packers are willing to give their starting running back the multiyear deal he wants.
Advertisement

Unless and until he gets it, Grant doesn't plan to participate in football drills.

Grant, who took over as a starter midway through last season and ran for 956 yards, has participated in the Packers' offseason program despite refusing to sign the minimum $370,000 tender the team gave him as an exclusive-rights player with one accrued NFL season. However, he is sitting out the team's organized team activities practices, which began this week, because of the injury risk.

Grant's agent, Alan Herman, on Wednesday said he plans to have a lengthy conversation today with the Packers' chief negotiator, Russ Ball, and would know "real soon" if a deal can get done.

"The process has started," Herman said. "Are we getting anywhere? Probably a better question at the end of the week."

Though he technically is a second-year player who won't be eligible for unrestricted free agency until at least 2011, Grant is four years removed from college. He spent two seasons with the New York Giants — one on the practice squad and one on the non-football injury list — before the Packers traded for him in September, and is 25 years old at a position where many players decline by 30.

So, Grant hopes to be rewarded immediately for the life he breathed into a stagnant running game last season.

"I just felt like it was in my best (interest) to handle it this way," Grant said, "and I think both sides feel like I'm going about it the correct way."

Given Grant's lack of leverage, precedent for a deal is difficult to find.

Tuesday, the Dallas Cowboys signed Marion Barber to a seven-year, $45 million contract that included $16 million in guarantees. Barber rushed for roughly the same number of yards (975) as Grant at only a slightly lower average (4.8 yards per carry, to Grant's 5.1), but he was a restricted free agent with three accrued seasons.

Unrestricted free agent Julius Jones, who started in front of Barber the past three seasons, agreed to a four-year, $12 million contract with Seattle that included $5.5 million in the first year. Jones ran for only 588 yards last season at a 3.6-yard average.

Herman declined to discuss the numbers he expects to be exchanged today, but said, "I think the Packers are open to negotiating a fair deal for Ryan. I'm optimistic that will occur."

He added: "It's probably the most unique situation I've dealt with in the 25 years I've been negotiating contracts in the league. As long as both sides aren't rigid — in the true spirit of compromise, this has to be a situation where there's compromise."

Coach Mike McCarthy, among others, has praised Grant for attending the voluntary workouts the past two months in spite of the contractual issue.

"He's a true pro," running backs coach Edgar Bennett said. "His approach in the film room, the study room, meeting room … has been phenomenal. The leadership, even out on the field — obviously, he's limited with certain things that he can do — but in the weight room, it's all-bore."

"I'm not unhappy," Grant said. "There's no unhappiness, there's no hard feelings or anything like that. Not at all. It's the business aspect."

Grant said he expects a deal to be done before training camp opens July 28. He wouldn't speculate on what would happen if a deal isn't struck, but accepting the Packers' initial offer doesn't seem to be a possibility.

"There's not a chance we're signing that tender," Herman said.

Bretsky
05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
I'd expect something will get worked out that will improve his salary and be a bargain for the Packers as well.

Carolina_Packer
05-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Sign him now, only make it a cap friendly deal with lots of incentives. Lock the dude up, already. He's a player!

MJZiggy
05-22-2008, 08:27 PM
I'd expect something will get worked out that will improve his salary and be a bargain for the Packers as well.

Whatever would give you a crazy idea like that? Those kind of deals never happen in Green Bay... :P

RashanGary
05-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I don't think it will happen. If it does, Grant will have to compromise a lot.

1st, it's going to have to be 5 or more years (guaranteeing us his prime and giving up his shot at FA)
2nd, it's going to have to be well below (half price or less) the deal that Marion Barber recieved
3rd, it will have a nice roster bonus early, but it will not be completely front loaded like some other contracts. He's going to have to earn it year after year

He really has no leverage. Any deal he gets is going to have to be a gross rip off that guarantees him no shot at UFA and is more back loaded than front loaded. He might want a contract, but I don't know how ready he is to give up his chance at a monster contract to take half price now.

MadtownPacker
05-22-2008, 11:10 PM
I just hate the idea that he gets a decent payday now, has a monster season and then gets greedy. His actions now make me think that he could very well go that route too.

Tony Oday
05-22-2008, 11:59 PM
I think that he deserves a payday because he only has so long left in a real playing career.

Patler
05-23-2008, 12:05 AM
I just hate the idea that he gets a decent payday now, has a monster season and then gets greedy. His actions now make me think that he could very well go that route too.

Do you people realize that if he signs the contract he was tendered, he would make LESS than:

Chris Francies
Alfred Malone
Daniel Muir
DeShawn Wynn
Desmond Bishop
Corey Hall
Charlie Peprah
Ruvell Martin
Noah Herron
Jarrett Bush
Shaun Bodiford
Tyrone Culver
....and just about every other player on the team?

He was offered the same contract as Joe Toledo! It's fair to say that by the time the final roster is set, there may be only a couple players with a cap number and/or 2008 salary less than his. Basically only the undrafted rookie free agents would make less than him. Virtually everyone of the drafted players would make as much or more than him.

He has at least the same bargaining power as any of the players that were drafted and are yet unsigned, and probably more because he is more of a proven commodity than any of those players.

If I was him, I wouldn't sign either.

packrulz
05-23-2008, 05:30 AM
I could see signing him to a contract similar to what Seattle signed Julius Jones for, 4 years $12 mil., he ran the ball when nobody else could.

woodbuck27
05-23-2008, 07:38 AM

I'm just interested in where this goes. He's the only man on our roster we have that resembles a RB and we've got lots of CAP space.

Guiness
05-23-2008, 08:44 AM

Do you people realize that if he signs the contract he was tendered, he would make LESS than:

Yes, I realize that. I guess it gets back to whether or not he trusts the Packers to continue to negotiate.

If I was him, I wouldn't sign either.

I would. It goes back to what I said earlier - the Packers have a history of rewarding players who play beyond their contract.

I get the fear of injury thing, and he has already missed a season...if he misses another, he may not get another chance.

But let's be honest here - he's got nothing. Half a year of good production, can't even talk to anyone else. He's an indentured servant. If the Pack offers him a million and he says no, they can tell him to go piss up a rope. I'm sure they don't want to do that, but I believe they will.

JH has a very good point, he's got to offer them something, and it'll probably be that he'll never be an FA while in his prime. If he gets a 4yr $12 million, it'll be pretty close to a string of 4 $3mil contracts, I think.

sharpe1027
05-23-2008, 08:59 AM
I would. It goes back to what I said earlier - the Packers have a history of rewarding players who play beyond their contract.

Which is why he is talking to them now. So what if they have a "history" of rewarding players? If refuse to reward Grant personally, what good does that history do him?

But let's be honest here - he's got nothing. Half a year of good production, can't even talk to anyone else. He's an indentured servant. If the Pack offers him a million and he says no, they can tell him to go piss up a rope. I'm sure they don't want to do that, but I believe they will.

Are you suggesting there wouldn't be any repercussions to the management if Grant refused to play and the Packer's struggle to run the ball like they did last year? I think there is at least some leverage on both sides.

Clearly Grant is at a disadvantage, but I wouldn't expect him to play for the minimum tender offer this year. I'm pretty sure the Packers will offer him a nice fat raise and hopefully he is happy with it. If they load it with incentives this year (they have the cap room), they can carry over the incentives that he doesn't meet to next year. If he plays lights-out, he gets paid.

Patler
05-23-2008, 03:45 PM

Knowing what he did last year, what round would you draft him in this year? Give him that type of contract.

Tarlam!
05-24-2008, 01:42 AM

Knowing what he did last year, what round would you draft him in this year? Give him that type of contract.

Except for the Giants game, I thought he was outstanding and his stats really prove it. Apparently in the games he played, only LT ran for more comparable yards. Since LT would have to be considered a 1st rounder and more than 1 RB traditionally get picked in the 1st, Grant makes a case to be a 1st rounder.

Am I suggesting he get 1st money? Er, no. But I also think that Matt Ryan, never having played a down, should get 34 million guaranteed either. To me, Grant should not be getting less than Brandon, if he is outplaying Brandon. Which sofar, he clearly is.

Let's face it, even if we sign the guy to big money and he busts, we have the cap room to waste. The only issue will arise with the other players. Frankly, I think that is what is motivating the Packers.

And another thing, TT gacve up a 6th to get him. Now, it is no secret that TT sees draft picks like Muslims see virgins in Paradise, so TT has some leverage when evaluating Undrafted FAs when they start knocking at his door.

The Leaper
05-24-2008, 07:51 AM

Well, there can be a significant difference in pay scales even within rounds.

Scott Campbell
05-24-2008, 08:01 AM

I think I saw enough to put him in the top third of round 1.