PDA

View Full Version : 17th game? woohoo!

GrnBay007
05-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Goodell, owners discuss adding 17th game

(sorry if this was posted somewhere already)

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has an idea to combat the declining interest in the NFL preseason: a 17th regular season game.

Goodell broached the subject at the owners' meeting on Tuesday in Atlanta. The basic premise would be to eliminate one preseason game, bringing that number down to three, and add on one regular season game.

Since most starters and veterans play sparingly the first few preseason games, the move would likely not have an impact on a team's ability to prepare for the regular season. With the odd number of regular season games, the conferences would alternate between its teams hosting nine games in a season and its teams hosting eight games.

The move could also have the added benefit of increasing league revenues, which might make it easier for players and owners to come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement. On Tuesday, the owners opted out of the current labor deal, which means that the CBA now runs through 2010, not 2012. If no new agreement is reached, the 2008 and 2009 seasons would be played under the current terms, the 2010 season would be an uncapped year, and there would be no agreement covering the 2011 season.

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't like it. In a 32 team league, 16 games is ideal for scheduling. I'd be okay with them reducing the preseason by one game though. As much as I love the NFL, I'm cool with a 16 game season. I don't need the extra game.

The Leaper
05-22-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm not a fan of a 17 game schedule either. The current schedule is very fair and balanced.

If you are going to expand it, go to 18...which then allows each team to play twice in their division (6), play two other divisions in their conference (8), and play one other division in the other conference (4).

This would remove the unbalancing of the schedule altogether...every team in a division would play the exact same opponents, although location would obviously differ.

GrnBay007
05-22-2008, 11:47 AM
I guess whatever they decide to do with respect to the regular game season I would be in favor of having less pre-season games. 2 or 3 at most?

Joemailman
05-22-2008, 04:38 PM
It would be unfair to give some teams an extra home game, and others an extra road game. There was talk several years ago of expanding to 18 games, although I haven't heard that talk recently.