PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Makes Early Impact

vince
05-22-2008, 05:14 PM
It hasn't taken Nelson long to establish himself apparently...

Nelson makes early impact (http://www.railbirdcentral.com/2008/05/nelson-makes-early-impact.html)

Wide receiver Jordy Nelson, the first draft pick of the Green Bay Packers in the '08 draft, has already made on contribution on the field and as a teammate.

Nelson had one of the highlights of the day when he made a nice leaping catch over talented rookie cornerback Patrick Lee.

"Wide receiver Jordy Nelson made a spectacular leaping catch in tight coverage Wednesday at the Don Hutson Center, and the first teammate to greet the rookie with a congratulatory chest bump was veteran Donald Driver," reports Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

On top of the catch, it's nice to see Nelson fit in. On one hand, he could be viewed as a threat to this deep receiving corps. On the other hand, he's only going to make the group better so he might as well be embraced.

sheepshead
05-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Steve Largent

Packnut
05-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Nelson will be a STUD in 2-3 seasons. Best pick of the Thompson era.

Charles Woodson
05-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Nelson will be a STUD in 2-3 seasons. Best pick of the Thompson era.

Idk i would prob still say jennings

RashanGary
05-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I think he had the play of mini camp too. It will be interesting to see him in person. I've watched the recievers pretty closely at camp the last two years. This year I'll watch to see how he stacks up. It'll be fun to see him go against Harris and Woodson too.

The Leaper
05-23-2008, 07:40 AM
I think Nelson and Jennings both have that sneaky speed to them that allows for the big play...although Jennings will always be more of a big play guy IMO. I just think Nelson also has the size to be a capable player in the possession game, which Jennings does not have. Nelson has the ability to become a guy who consistently grabs 100 receptions a year...I don't see that from Jennings.

Packnut
05-23-2008, 08:12 AM
I think Nelson and Jennings both have that sneaky speed to them that allows for the big play...although Jennings will always be more of a big play guy IMO. I just think Nelson also has the size to be a capable player in the possession game, which Jennings does not have. Nelson has the ability to become a guy who consistently grabs 100 receptions a year...I don't see that from Jennings.

Nelson has better hands and runs routes a little bit cleaner than Jennings does. I also think Nelson's football IQ is bit higher. But, Jennings has proven himself where as Nelson is just getting started so I'll have to wait a while to see if I'm right.

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Nelson has better hands and runs routes a little bit cleaner than Jennings does. I also think Nelson's football IQ is bit higher. But, Jennings has proven himself where as Nelson is just getting started so I'll have to wait a while to see if I'm right.

Nelson may have better hands. I'm not sure since I've only seen his highlights and not his lowlights, but Jennings is a great route runner. I can't rate Nelson's football IQ either. I know Jennings has great football IQ, and he's intelligent. What makes you think Nelson has better football IQ?

Partial
05-23-2008, 09:44 AM

Nelson may have better hands. I'm not sure since I've only seen his highlights and not his lowlights, but Jennings is a great route runner. I can't rate Nelson's football IQ either. I know Jennings has great football IQ, and he's intelligent. What makes you think Nelson has better football IQ?\

Not only that, but Jenniongs has already shown that he is a very capable player. I cannot in good faith declare Nelson as a better prospect or pick, even if he may show an incredible amount of potential while running in shorts.

Hopefully, the JNJ formation will be the greatest show in snow someday.

K-town
05-23-2008, 10:14 AM
In the NFC Championship game, Greg Jennings had one catch for 14 yards.
It seemed as if the Giants took him out of the game. Was this due to great coverage, weather conditions, etc.?
Maybe Jordy Nelson was drafted because he's considered to be a bigger receiver who's better suited to matching up with the so-called physical NFC East defenses, especially in cold weather.
Discuss.

DonHutson
05-23-2008, 10:23 AM
In the NFC Championship game, Greg Jennings had one catch for 14 yards. It seemed as if the Giants took him out of the game. Was this due to great coverage, weather conditions, etc.?

Take away the 90 yarder to Driver when the Giants DB fell down and no Packer receiver produced in that game. The Giants moved the ball through the air pretty well.

I'm not pinning the whole loss on Favre, but that was not a stellar day for the old man.

As for Nelson, I couldn't believe the photo of him standing next to Driver. I mean, I knew he was bigger than Driver... but he looks like a monster by comparison. Throw in the good hands, and what seems to be a great attitude and the sky's the limit.

DonHutson
05-23-2008, 10:27 AM
I know Jennings has great football IQ, and he's intelligent. What makes you think Nelson has better football IQ?

Totally agree with that. Jennings learned the position in training camp that most WRs take a couple of years to learn. Favre commended him several times for making adjustments, reading defenses, and generally getting himself in the right place at the right time.

Evidence seems to say that Jennings is extraordinarily bright.

Cleft Crusty
05-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Nelson's catch in the OTA clearly marks him as a future hall of famer. Nothing solidifies a players reputation so much as what he does in off-season non-contact drills. This type of excitement certainly must revive the warm memories of Packer fans regarding the euphoria surrounding the off season performances of De'Mond Parker.

Gunakor
05-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Nelson's catch in the OTA clearly marks him as a future hall of famer. Nothing solidifies a players reputation so much as what he does in off-season non-contact drills. This type of excitement certainly must revive the warm memories of Packer fans regarding the euphoria surrounding the off season performances of De'Mond Parker.

I don't care if Nelson is a future hall of famer. What I care about is him making positive contributions to the team, helping us win football games. He seems well on his way to accomplishing at least that much. You won't hear any differently from any media outlet or any member of the Packers organization.

Is it wrong to get excited when our top draft pick makes incredible plays during the infancy of his NFL career? How about a little optimism?

bobblehead
05-23-2008, 12:31 PM
I agree with both of you. I'm very optimistic and like what I have seen and heard on Jordan, but we can't really judge him just yet. I personally think it was a great pick, but I was high on nick collins too so....

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Is it wrong to get excited when our top draft pick makes incredible plays during the infancy of his NFL career? How about a little optimism?

1) It's Cleft Crusty.
2) I'm all for optimism, but I think it's a little much to say at this point that he runs better routes and has more football IQ than Greg Jennings.

Gunakor
05-23-2008, 01:30 PM

1) It's Cleft Crusty.
2) I'm all for optimism, but I think it's a little much to say at this point that he runs better routes and has more football IQ than Greg Jennings.

1) I haven't been around long enough to know who Cleft Crusty is, so please excuse me if I've called him out on something that is already common knowledge to most of the other rats.

2) I agree with you that saying he's a better route runner or has better football IQ than Jennings is a bit premature. It also is a bit premature to say he isn't as crisp a route runner or has less football IQ than Jennings. What I do know is that if he has equal talent and intelligence at his position as Greg Jennings, then this passing attack is going to be scary good for many years to come. We haven't seen anything less than great play so far this spring from Nelson (outstanding by rookie standards), which is why I'm so optimistic that he'll be as good or perhaps even better than Jennings. It's an extremely good problem to have if you have a couple WR's on your roster better than Greg Jennings...

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2008, 01:36 PM
1) I haven't been around long enough to know who Cleft Crusty is, so please excuse me if I've called him out on something that is already common knowledge to most of the other rats.

You'll have to check on his Profile and read some of his posts. I'm not sure of the real identity of Cleft, but he's a tongue-and-cheek spoof of Cliff "Uncle Cliffy" Christl (recently retired from the JSO).

The Leaper
05-23-2008, 02:03 PM

Nelson was a QB in high school, and he played DB when he first went to K-State.

I think Nelson's experience at the areas where he has direct interaction with at the WR position (QB, DB) gives him a unique perspective that a career WR like Jennings probably doesn't have.

Football IQ might not be the right term...I think both guys are pretty high in that area, as most Thompson draftees are.

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Nelson was a QB in high school, and he played DB when he first went to K-State.

Whatever. Most guys played a bunch of positions in high school. Jennings played RB, WR, LB, and CB in high school--according to his bio on Packers.com. Nelson's experience as a high school QB hardly proves that he has better football IQ than Jennings. Give me a break. More than anything else, Jennings came into the NFL showing he had a great football IQ.

Packnut
05-23-2008, 02:15 PM

Nelson may have better hands. I'm not sure since I've only seen his highlights and not his lowlights, but Jennings is a great route runner. I can't rate Nelson's football IQ either. I know Jennings has great football IQ, and he's intelligent. What makes you think Nelson has better football IQ?

I saw him play a lot last season so I witnessed his hands. I saw him catch more than a few poor throws. As for his route running, his coaches could'nt say enough good things about how he understands the importance of proper depth when running routes.

Now I know it's natural for coaches to build up their players, but the route running comments are not the normal bable that coaches use.

As for the IQ comment, it's just based on what I saw of him. KS was pretty good in giving the QB the freedom to audible and Nelson was on the same page.

I also have to admit that my damn college gambling addiction, gives me a pretty good read on the guys coming into the pros. When your risking your hard earned money, you pay a lot of attention to the little things.......... :oops: :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2008, 02:21 PM
But why do you think he's better than Jennings? You said he's a little better than Jennings in route running and football IQ. Those happen to be Jennings two best attributes. What makes you think he's better than Jennings in the two things that Jennings is best at?

Packnut
05-23-2008, 03:02 PM
But why do you think he's better than Jennings? You said he's a little better than Jennings in route running and football IQ. Those happen to be Jennings two best attributes. What makes you think he's better than Jennings in the two things that Jennings is best at?

I should have prefaced my comments on how they compare coming out of college. I apologize for not being clear on that. I did'nt mean to imply that Nelson is better right now. :oops:

I knew Jennings was for real based on how he played in big games. Nelson has the same history (like the Texas and Kansas game). I saw about 7 or 8 games Jennings played and I was not impressed with his route running ability. He has improved on that big-time.

Let's just call it a hunch, but I hav'nt been this stoked about a draft choice in a long long time. Nelson is the real McCoy and will impress everyone in due time.

RashanGary
05-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Like Nelson, Jennings was the #1 guy on his team. When you played Western Michigan or K-State you lined up and stopped Nelson or Jennings. They saw double and triple coverages and both found ways to get open. Both caught balls in traffic. You don't get open on double and triple coverage without great route running. You have to either set up the defender (the way Jennings did with his great quickness and route running) or you have to use yoru body (the way Nelson did with his size and great route running)

Jennings seemed to have more plays where he got behind defenses (but most of his were short routes too) and Nelson seemed to have more plays where guys were doing everything they could to take away the short pass and he still got in front of the defender and made the catch (but he also had deep balls).

Both seems somewhat similar in that they are both good at everything. However, they do have some differences.

Both are good with shorter routes - Nelson better
Both are good with YAC - Jennings better
Both are good at deep balls - Jennings better
Both are smart and natural route runners - Toss up
Both have great hands - Nelson's seem a little better
Both are fast - Jennings a little faster
Both have good size - Nelsons is better

Really, both can do everthing but at the end of the day I think you're going to see Nelson as the guy who catches more passes per season and Jennings as the guy who gets more big plays and a better YPC. I agree that the Nelson pick is going to be a great pick, but I don't think he's better than Jennings. He's different and I think he'll be equally good. I'm going to pay close attn to Rodgers and the WR's this year at TC, but my intial reaction is that I love the pick. Nelson reminds me of Hines Ward.

woodbuck27
05-24-2008, 10:30 AM
I know Jennings has great football IQ, and he's intelligent. What makes you think Nelson has better football IQ?

Totally agree with that. Jennings learned the position in training camp that most WRs take a couple of years to learn. Favre commended him several times for making adjustments, reading defenses, and generally getting himself in the right place at the right time.

Evidence seems to say that Jennings is extraordinarily bright.

Yes!

rbaloha1
05-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Comparing Nelson and Jennings is impossible.

We have not witnessed Nelson in an NFL game. Any way who cares?

Both dudes are the cornerstones for a very long time eventually ending with a super bowl victories.

Enjoy the talent TT has assembled.

CaliforniaCheez
05-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Rookies take time to learn but Nelson has a good Wonderlic score.

Some day Driver will retire and it will be Jennings, Nelson, Jones and whoever.

A good O-line and QB can only make this team a dangerous one.

bobblehead
05-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Great post Justin, I'm changing my vote to you stay!

Partial
05-24-2008, 05:40 PM

You'll have to check on his Profile and read some of his posts. I'm not sure of the real identity of Cleft, but he's a tongue-and-cheek spoof of Cliff "Uncle Cliffy" Christl (recently retired from the JSO).

*cough* greenday *cough*

Partial
05-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Like Nelson, Jennings was the #1 guy on his team. When you played Western Michigan or K-State you lined up and stopped Nelson or Jennings. They saw double and triple coverages and both found ways to get open. Both caught balls in traffic. You don't get open on double and triple coverage without great route running. You have to either set up the defender (the way Jennings did with his great quickness and route running) or you have to use yoru body (the way Nelson did with his size and great route running)

Jennings seemed to have more plays where he got behind defenses (but most of his were short routes too) and Nelson seemed to have more plays where guys were doing everything they could to take away the short pass and he still got in front of the defender and made the catch (but he also had deep balls).

Both seems somewhat similar in that they are both good at everything. However, they do have some differences.

Both are good with shorter routes - Nelson better
Both are good with YAC - Jennings better
Both are good at deep balls - Jennings better
Both are smart and natural route runners - Toss up
Both have great hands - Nelson's seem a little better
Both are fast - Jennings a little faster
Both have good size - Nelsons is better

Really, both can do everthing but at the end of the day I think you're going to see Nelson as the guy who catches more passes per season and Jennings as the guy who gets more big plays and a better YPC. I agree that the Nelson pick is going to be a great pick, but I don't think he's better than Jennings. He's different and I think he'll be equally good. I'm going to pay close attn to Rodgers and the WR's this year at TC, but my intial reaction is that I love the pick. Nelson reminds me of Hines Ward.

This is shinanigans. I'm sorry, but do you not remember all the raving and ballyhoo about how good GJ looked?!? He is now a stud as we all expected.

I am very hopeful and optimistic towards the future of Jordy, but right now he isn't anything but an unproven rookie. I'll believe it when I see it (and I hope I do soon!)

swede
05-24-2008, 09:56 PM

*cough* greenday *cough*

I thought Cleft's secret identity was a certain rugged individualist with libertarian leanings who hasn't been posting for a long while, but I asked some guy named Atlas and he just shrugged.

As far as I know Cleft (the cyberspace doppelganger for Cliff Christl) is the only sanctioned double identity in the forum, and I thought his post in this thread was hilarious given the way the normally underwhelmed Cliffy gushed and gushed about Jennings every time he got in front of a microphone during the training camps of Jennings rookie year.

That said, I am stoked about Nelson. He's gonna be like a football version of Larry Bird in that people are going to ask how a white dude got to be that good at a position that requires a buttload of fast twitch..

Joemailman
05-25-2008, 08:36 PM
I know this is completely off-topic, but speaking of white dudes, are the Packers unique in that they have an all-white starting offensive line?

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2008, 09:50 PM
I know this is completely off-topic, but speaking of white dudes, are the Packers unique in that they have an all-white starting offensive line?

No.

woodbuck27
05-26-2008, 08:24 AM

No.

Damn let's not go there. :)

3irty1
05-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Comparing Nelson to Greg Jennings at this point is ridiculous. Jennings is proven. Lets get real.

deake
05-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Comparing Nelson to Greg Jennings at this point is ridiculous. Jennings is proven. Lets get real.

I agree, he needs to be hurt in at least 2 NFL training camps to be proven injury prone.

b bulldog
05-27-2008, 02:41 PM
:bclap:

KYPack
05-27-2008, 02:52 PM
OLine is the last bastion of White Boys's.

I don't know how many NFL teams have all white OL's, but there has to be a couple - three.

NE fer instance?

I'm still trying to figure out why a lot of great DE's are Whities

HarveyWallbangers
05-27-2008, 02:54 PM

I don't know how many NFL teams have all white OL's, but there has to be a couple - three.

NE fer instance?

New England, Cleveland, and Green Bay as it stands right now.

KYPack
05-27-2008, 02:59 PM

NE fer instance?

Agreed we are on DANGEROUS turf here, but wasn't Indy a caucasoid OL last season.?

How'd you figure that out so fast, Harve?

Google won't do something like that, will it?

HarveyWallbangers
05-27-2008, 03:07 PM

No. I play in a Madden-esque type football league, and we have OL on the team, so I'm pretty aware of the starting lineups for every team. I sort of have a photographic memory when it comes to stuff like this. I can look at a depth chart or read an update on a player, and it just kind of sticks with me. It's a blessing and curse.
:D

I knew New England was one team. Then, I thought about the other teams. For example, I thought of Dallas and Flozell Adams, Washington and Chris Samuels, etc. It came down to a few teams that I wasn't sure about. After looking at the depth chart on Yahoo of those teams, it turns out Cleveland was the only other team.

Pugger
05-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Where can I get a peek at that photo of Driver and Nelson? :?: It would be fun to compare them side by side?

BTW, when does TC start? I will be in GB this summer up to August 9th...

the_idle_threat
05-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Welcome to the forum, Pugger.

Well, there's this pic from page 2 of the OTA May 21 thread:

http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v288/11/1/605353733/n605353733_462990_6584.jpg

Judging from this pic, the hyperbole regarding Jordy's size vis-a-vis Driver seems misplaced. They look to be about the same, especially when you consider that Jordy is a little closer to the camera. Anybody who has ever held a fish away from his/her body when taking pictures of that day's catch knows that optical delusion.

Tarlam!
05-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey Pugger, be welcomed! Great to have you on board!!

Guiness
05-28-2008, 02:18 PM

NE fer instance?

Ya, the fat white boys seem to do well there. Which makes me wonder why there aren't more of them playing DT? A few classed as nose tackles, but not many defensive tackles.

BTW a google of nosetackle brings up this great old article about Gilbert Brown. LOVE that suit he's wearing!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/1998/weekly/980126/gilbertbrown.html

GrnBay007
05-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Where can I get a peek at that photo of Driver and Nelson? :?: It would be fun to compare them side by side?

Welcome to PR Pugger. Great Avatar!! :D

HarveyWallbangers
05-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Welcome.

3irty1
05-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Welcomer.

Iron Mike
05-30-2008, 11:04 AM
I will be in GB this summer up to August 9th...

That's my birthday. 8-)

hoosier
05-30-2008, 11:05 AM

NE fer instance?

Agreed we are on DANGEROUS turf here, but wasn't Indy a caucasoid OL last season.?

Tony Ugoh.

GrnBay007
05-31-2008, 10:56 PM

Schedule of Packer training camp practices:

All times Central

Monday, July 28: 8:45 a.m. (shells); 6:30 p.m. (pads).

Tuesday, July 29: 2 p.m. (pads)

Wednesday, July 30: 8:45 a.m. (shells); 6:30 p.m. (pads).

Thursday, July 31: No public practice.

Friday, Aug. 1: 8:45 a.m. (shells); 6:30 p.m. (pads).

Saturday, Aug 2: 2 p.m. (pads).

Sunday, Aug. 3: No public practice in morning; Family Night Scrimmage, 6:30 p.m.

Monday, Aug. 4: No practice.

Tuesday, Aug. 5: 2 p.m. (pads).

Wednesday, Aug. 6: 8:45 a.m. (shells); 6:30 p.m. (pads).

Thursday, Aug. 7: No public practice.

Friday, Aug. 8: 8:45 a.m. (shells); 6:30 p.m. (pads).

Saturday, Aug. 9: (pads).

Sunday, Aug. 10: No public practice.

Monday, Aug. 11: vs. Cincinnati Bengals, 7 p.m.

Tuesday, Aug. 12: No practice.

Wednesday, Aug. 13: 6:30 p.m. (pads).

Thursday, Aug. 14: 10:45 a.m. (shells).

Friday, Aug. 15: No public practice.

Saturday, Aug. 16: at San Francisco 49ers, 8 p.m.

Sunday, Aug. 17: No practice.

Monday, Aug. 18: 6:30 p.m. (pads).

Tuesday, Aug. 19: 10:45 a.m. (pads).

Wednesday, Aug. 20: 10:45 a.m. (shells).

Thursday, Aug. 21: No public practice.

Friday, Aug. 22: at Denver Broncos, 8 p.m.

Saturday, Aug. 23: No practice.

Sunday, Aug. 24: 11:30 a.m. (pads).

Monday, Aug. 25: 10:45 a.m. (pads).

Tuesday, Aug. 26: 10:15 a.m. (shells).

Wednesday, Aug. 27: No public practice.

Thursday, Aug. 28: vs. Tennessee Titans, 7 p.m.