PDA

View Full Version : at what point do you quit your job?

red
05-22-2008, 05:46 PM
honestly, at what point do you say enough is enough and tell everyone to shove it up their asses?

i'm tired of putting up with stupidity and taking order with people that are much more moronic then i am

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2008, 05:47 PM
honestly, at what point do you say enough is enough and tell everyone to shove it up their asses?

When you can afford to do or you have a viable alternative.

red
05-22-2008, 05:49 PM

thats the exact answer i didn't want to hear

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2008, 05:51 PM

Well, I think a viable alternative can be found--if you want it bad enough. Search for it.

red
05-22-2008, 05:52 PM

Well, I think a viable alternative can be found--if you want it bad enough. Search for it.

i think this weekend will be a hardcore job search weekend

MJZiggy
05-22-2008, 05:54 PM
What line of work are you in?

Freak Out
05-22-2008, 05:55 PM
I thought I read that you are a tradesman? Masonry? Start a business or start looking at getting on with another contractor. Its a tough call Red and is entirely based on factors we know nothing about. Just don't wait to long and get mad enough to hurt anyone. :)

red
05-22-2008, 05:57 PM

shit

i have a college degree, and i'm doing construction/landscaping work

mostly because my high anxiety keeps me from getting a job i'm actually trained and qualified for

so i settle on a job that i hate, that kills my body, and pays me a quarter of what i should be making

Bretsky
05-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Ambitious people will success eventually; something I've always believed.
May be a lot of bumps along the way but it it's not an if, but a when.

So if you detest what you are doing, stop scouting for FFL (your time is over anyways) and find somthing you think you will excel in..........apply yourself.....and kick @ss :!:

MJZiggy
05-22-2008, 06:01 PM

shit

mostly because my high anxiety keeps me from getting a job i'm actually trained and qualified for

so i settle on a job that i hate, that kills my body, and pays me a quarter of what i should be making

A college degree in what?

red
05-22-2008, 06:05 PM
if have a wonderful BAD (bachelor of business administration) with a major in marketing, that as been so useful to me since i got it

MJZiggy
05-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Aren't there like a hundred different directions you could take with that degree? What do you want to be doing?

red
05-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Aren't there like a hundred different directions you could take with that degree? What do you want to be doing?

well, when i was actually job hunting, years ago, it seemed the only real thing a marketing degree could get you was a sales job. now i'm a natural at sales, but i don't really like it

although these days it starting to sound great

when i was getting the stupid degree i was thinking i could get a job in advertising, or coming up with marketing strategies. but those jobs don't exists as far as i can tell

i was even told by the head of the marketing department at my school, years after i got the degree. that the marketing major doesn't qualify me for that type of job. even though over half the classes they forsed me to take, concentrated on those topics

Partial
05-22-2008, 06:27 PM

i'm tired of putting up with stupidity and taking order with people that are much more moronic then i am

It's just a job. I'd quit whenever I was sick of bullshit and or not challenged. I cannot stand being miserable or being bored.

retailguy
05-22-2008, 06:33 PM

It's just a job. I'd quit whenever I was sick of bullshit and or not challenged. I cannot stand being miserable or being bored.

Red doesn't live at home, and has BILLS. Life doesn't work that way.

When he finds a new job, THEN he quits, and not before then.

Deputy Nutz
05-22-2008, 06:51 PM

My buddy is in the same position. He got his masters in accounting even though he never wanted to actually be an accountant. He is good at his job but he hates it.

He keeps asking my wife if she knows of any single lawyers.

Fuck you ain't never going to find a job working at the one you have now. Quit your job, it will put the pressure on you to find another job.

FavreChild
05-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Get fired so you can collect unemployment. :twisted:

Seriously, I'm in the camp where I would quit if I job was really causing me to be that miserable. I'd much rather bartend or do something menial that continue to work at a job I loathe, even though it pays more money. Making a lot of money really isn't my top priority. But I'm also in a position to feel that way since I have greater control over my finances - no debt, no kids, etc. So I can literally afford to not make as much money as I am capable of earning. That's not the case for everyone, I'm sure.

MadtownPacker
05-22-2008, 08:18 PM

shit

so i settle on a job that i hate, that kills my body, and pays me a quarter of what i should be makingSee this is why you are a stupid ass gabacho. You need to move somewhere that you are more appreciated, Like somewhere that there are more so called African/Mexican/Asian/Arabian-Americans etc.

You are a place where you are just another white guy. You cant pull the race card, you cant bitch about civil rights, none of that fun stuff non-whites get to do. If you move you might be special and sought after. In HIGH demand.

MJZiggy
05-22-2008, 08:38 PM
There's always politics... Why not try a PR firm instead of an ad agency?

HarveyWallbangers
05-22-2008, 08:44 PM

I'm offended that you are ridiculing the fine post made by my friend, Partial.

Partial
05-22-2008, 10:16 PM

Well right, that goes without saying. But I have bills and whatnot to pay too. As a matter of fact I forked over almost 4 grand in cash to the state of Wisconsin for my overpriced tuition over the past several weeks and the bank account is still recovering.

Tarlam!
05-23-2008, 02:09 AM
When to quit a job?

That is so easy!

When it starts to interfere with your drinking time!!! 8-)

Deputy Nutz
05-23-2008, 08:37 AM
When to quit a job?

That is so easy!

Do you even have a job anymore?

Tarlam!
05-23-2008, 08:39 AM
When to quit a job?

That is so easy!

Do you even have a job anymore?

Only on paper 8-)

GoPackGo
05-23-2008, 10:13 AM

I used to have the same problem. At work, I would want to to things my way, I thought my co workers were lazy, my boss is stupid...etc.. One day I talked to a psychologist about it and he asked me why I was taking all of these things personally. My answer was "I don't know". At that moment I realized that I had the power to not get pissed off at work. Since then I've been much happier at work. Maybe if you ask yourself that same question, it can change your attitude a little or at least buy you some time until you find a new job.

moral of the story: Don't take it personal!

sheepshead
05-23-2008, 12:21 PM

You are one miserable human aren't you? Why don't you make the planet a better place and just put a gun to your head?
Hmmm?

MadScientist
05-23-2008, 12:34 PM

Workers comp while you search for a new job?

mraynrand
05-23-2008, 12:47 PM

Red, I'd stay away from the hardcore side of the industry. It's fun at first, but when you have to reshoot the same scene six times or so in a single day, excitement gives way to pure exhaustion.

Deputy Nutz
05-23-2008, 12:49 PM

Red, I'd stay away from the hardcore side of the industry. It's fun at first, but when you have to reshoot the same scene six times or so in a single day, excitement gives way to pure exhaustion.

Not to mention chaffing

LL2
05-23-2008, 03:03 PM

I've seen stupid people quit before they had a new job. The last 6 months of last year I HATED and was MISERABLE with my last job, but being married with two little ones kept me going back to put up with the bitch boss I had. It was either get a new job or get fired to collect unemployment. I actually got a better deal. In January I got let go with 3 months pay and full insurance benefits for 3 months, plus I collected unemployment. That allowed me to set myself up as an independent contractor and I now happily go to work. :whist:

Partial
05-23-2008, 03:46 PM

I've seen stupid people quit before they had a new job. The last 6 months of last year I HATED and was MISERABLE with my last job, but being married with two little ones kept me going back to put up with the bitch boss I had. It was either get a new job or get fired to collect unemployment. I actually got a better deal. In January I got let go with 3 months pay and full insurance benefits for 3 months, plus I collected unemployment. That allowed me to set myself up as an independent contractor and I now happily go to work. :whist:

Are you in IT?

LL2
05-23-2008, 03:51 PM

Are you in IT?

Nope...not that smart...but smart enough to work for myself. :D

red
05-23-2008, 05:46 PM

LOL

well played

MadtownPacker
05-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Have you ever thought about a career in meth-cooking? Seems like you would be good at it.

red
05-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Have you ever thought about a career in meth-cooking? Seems like you would be good at it.

that actually use to be a huge business in this area a few years back

i don't know if its still that way or not

i would see myself as more of a high class trafficker.

digitaldean
05-23-2008, 07:21 PM

Until my wife graduates next year, I work 2 jobs and am the only family source of income. Would like to go freelance my graphic design, web development and print consulting skills. But the insurance and income are a necessity at the moment.

My present employer has had 4 people quit in the last month. We undergoing a "consolidation". Hoping for the best, but let's just say I'm keeping my options open.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-23-2008, 07:39 PM

You are one miserable human aren't you? Why don't you make the planet a better place and just put a gun to your head?
Hmmm?

This is coming from the poster who was outraged about an O'reilly comment?

Hypocrisy is thy name.

red
05-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Until my wife graduates next year, I work 2 jobs and am the only family source of income. Would like to go freelance my graphic design, web development and print consulting skills. But the insurance and income are a necessity at the moment.

My present employer has had 4 people quit in the last month. We undergoing a "consolidation". Hoping for the best, but let's just say I'm keeping my options open.

i have a cousin who does that. loves her job. she makes very good money, gets to work at home when she wants.

i would do that in a second if i were you once she graduates