PDA

View Full Version : Grant versus Jennings

texaspackerbacker
05-23-2008, 01:59 PM
This will never happen--hopefully, but if the Packers were faced with a choice of losing either Ryan Grant or Greg Jennings, which one would you prefer that they lose?

I say Grant is a far more unique talent--one of the top 3 or 4 RBs in the NFL. Jennings is an outstanding player too, but I would guess 15 or 20 teams have a WR as good as he is.

Add to that the fact that a great RB is more of a difference maker than a great wideout.

Damn. I screwed up voting in my own poll. I meant to put "give up Jennings", not Grant.

MadtownPacker
05-23-2008, 02:04 PM
If Grant had did his thing all 16 games last season I might have to think about it but Jennings is a big time playmaker. In M3's system I think Jennings holds equal value to a good RB. Jennings is the keeper.

HarveyWallbangers
05-23-2008, 02:14 PM
For this team, I'd rather have Grant. I have more faith in James Jones and Jordy Nelson than Brandon Jackson.

BallHawk
05-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Greg Jennings, no hesitation. Greg Jennings is becoming an elite WR and will be Top 10 in the league in a year or two. This is on top of the fact he is one of the class-acts in the league.

Grant, while possessing great talent and character, is at a position where most players are good for a few years and then drop off. Not to mention it is one of the easier positions to replace in the league.

Both are great players, but I'd take Greg in a heartbeat.

bobblehead
05-23-2008, 05:55 PM
I'll go back to a point I tried to make to cliff christl once when he was spouting about certain "playmaker" running backs. One in particular he was high on that day was Frank Gore...a real difference maker. I politely pointed out that Gore was a 3rd round pick with little fanfare and that finding contributing running backs is simple....IF the rest of the team is playing well around them. If Wynn doesn't tear a hang nail and plays inspired he could put up similar (not quite as good) to RG. Same with Morency and health. Remember, ahman green had a few backups who ran really well behind wahle/flannigan/rivera too.

red
05-23-2008, 07:31 PM
i would keep jennings over grant

but that in no way is a knock on grant. i think he's a hell of a rb, and head and shoulders better then anything else we have

but jennings seems to have that "it" about him. i expect huge things from him this year

Patler
05-24-2008, 05:32 AM
If Grant had did his thing all 16 games last season I might have to think about it but Jennings is a big time playmaker. In M3's system I think Jennings holds equal value to a good RB. Jennings is the keeper.

Grant was the "starter" for 9 games and had 22 carries for 104 yards in the game before he was named starter. He was the primary performer or starter at RB for 10 of the 16 games. In two other games he had 6 carries for 27 yards, showing the ability to do it in those games, too.

Jennings played in 14 games in 2007. Grant played in 12.
Jennings played in 13 games in 2006.

Grant's season in 2007 wasn't all that different from either of Jennings' two seasons.

The Leaper
05-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Tough question. Both guys are very good...neither is that close to being elite.

Grant is NOT one of the 3 or 4 best RBs in the NFL. He's a solid RB...and has the potential to be one of the top 5-10 backs in the league over the next few years. He still has a lot of improving to do as a receiver and blocker to become a great RB.

Jennings is a very good WR...he has the capacity to stretch the defense even though he's not a verticle/jump ball kind of guy. He's a very good compliment to Driver. His ability to read the defense at the line of scrimmage and understand where the QB is going with the ball is highly important to the WCO.

This is basically almost a coin flip IMO. You don't want to lose either. If I had to choose, I'd keep Jennings over Grant...based on the likelihood of a longer career and the relative provenness of both players at this point.

Scott Campbell
05-24-2008, 08:33 AM
I think its pretty close, but voted for Grant in large part because the feature RB gets so many more touches than your WR does.

RashanGary
05-24-2008, 08:45 AM
You guys all realize your voting to get rid of one so everyone is voting to get rid of Grant, not Jennings - right?

Scott Campbell
05-24-2008, 08:47 AM
You guys all realize your voting to get rid of one so everyone is voting to get rid of Grant, not Jennings - right?

I think I probably got it right a few days ago when I voted. I forgot about the way the poll was worded.

red
05-24-2008, 09:09 AM
this question is like asking, which nut would you prefer to be smacked with a hammer?

neither is the only possible answer

unless you have some sick twisted fetish

woodbuck27
05-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Tough question. Both guys are very good...neither is that close to being elite.

Grant is NOT one of the 3 or 4 best RBs in the NFL. He's a solid RB...and has the potential to be one of the top 5-10 backs in the league over the next few years. He still has a lot of improving to do as a receiver and blocker to become a great RB.

Jennings is a very good WR...he has the capacity to stretch the defense even though he's not a verticle/jump ball kind of guy. He's a very good compliment to Driver. His ability to read the defense at the line of scrimmage and understand where the QB is going with the ball is highly important to the WCO.

This is basically almost a coin flip IMO. You don't want to lose either. If I had to choose, I'd keep Jennings over Grant...based on the likelihood of a longer career and the relative provenness of both players at this point.

Solid analysis The Leaper.

MJZiggy
05-24-2008, 11:27 AM
I chose to keep Grant; we have DD and a group of wideouts with potential, but if we lose Grant, what potential is there behind him? Happily we don't have to deal with decisions like this.