PDA

View Full Version : How can they make the NFLE better?

Tony Oday
06-05-2006, 11:26 AM
What would make you watch?

For me it would be a dedicated team in the NFLE for 4 teams in the NFL that are not in the same division.

I could turn on say the Rhein Fire and see all the Packer guys in NFLE.

What do you think?

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Tony, I love this topic!

havanother
06-05-2006, 12:20 PM
I really like that idea! A true minor league for the NFL. I would definately watch. Would it make sense two have two teams from each conference putting players on a team? or have four teams with players from the NFC and four teams with players from the AFC? I like keeping the conferences seperate.

gureski
06-05-2006, 01:42 PM
If they made it into a farm system of sorts then it would get more support.

What I had suggested in the past was to take players from each division and create a team with those players.

So, you'd have all the fans who watch the teams from Chicago, G.B., Minnesota, and Detroit getting to follow a single team with names they recognize and want to keep tabs on. Likewise for the fans who are in the East and are watching Dallas, Washington, Philly, and New York.

The other thing would be for the games to be more accessable for fans to watch. They'd need a clear TV deal that would allow the home cities to follow the teams with their players on it.

And last, the teams would need to send better players over. You can't run just practice squad guys only. You'd need guys like Mike Hawkins and people like that who need playing time and fine tuning....maybe even an A.Carroll could benefit.

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 01:49 PM
G, my thoughts and suggestions are thoroughly ´shared and i hate to bore good folk....

HarveyWallbangers
06-05-2006, 02:12 PM
I love the idea in the original post. Here are some ideas I'd have:

1) Expand to 8 teams.
2) Each team in NFL Europe should have 4 NFL teams that farm players to that team. That would keep players on one NFL team on one NFLE team. It might also encourage teams to send more and better players because it might help the timing of a young QB to work with some of the teams young wideouts. For instance, if Aaron Rodgers was sent over there to work with someone like Cory Rodgers next year, that might be more benefit to the Packers. These teams that have players dedicated to the NFLE teams should be from different divisions though. This would also encourage NFLE fans to root for NFL teams more specifically because they know they they are a farm system for those 4 NFL teams.
3) More and better players should be sent over. Not good players, mind you, but young guys that have a better chance of sticking in the NFL. Teams should be encouraged to do this by giving them legitimate reasons to do so--like extra draft picks. Guys on the Packers that might have been served well by going over this offseason are Marviel Underwood, Mike Hawkins, Donnell Washington, etc.
4) Since we don't want these players to be beat down for the season. The length of the season should be shortened to 7 games. Once against each team in the league. The top two teams should make the World Bowl. This would mean that no player would have to play no more than 8 games.
5) Each team should be designated a draft pick if I decent player were to get seriously injured. For example, each team should be able to mark a guy as 5th round, 6th round, or 7th round caliber. Not sure how'd they work it out, but it would protect teams from injuries in NFLE. They could do it much like they do the compensatory picks--except the NFL teams would know ahead of time what a pick would be if a guy were to get injured, so they could determine if it's worth the risk.
6) Get rid of the 4 point FG.

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 02:16 PM
You Bastards are fully ignoring my ideas that I have been pushing since JSO!!!! Harv!!! Tell 'em!

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Well, I feel thoroughly raped.

havanother
06-05-2006, 02:22 PM
LOL Tarlam! If this idea goes through you should get a cut of the money.

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 02:30 PM
LOL Tarlam! If this idea goes through you should get a cut of the money.

Bullshit! I should be replacing Tabs! This was all my idea!!!!

But thanks for thinking positively about poor ol' in the gutter Tar.

NoVaDMak
06-05-2006, 02:44 PM
I like the idea, but what happens if two teams want to put QBs there for more work. For example, what do you do if the Pack wants to put AR or Ingle Martin there as does Chicago with Kyle Orton? There would need to be some sort of system to ensure players got work so its not a waste of time.

This idea is similar to the NBA and the NBADL where 4 or 5 NBA teams share D league rosters. I've only read a few things on that topic, but so far it seems to be well received by the NBA teams.

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I like the idea, but what happens if two teams want to put QBs there for more work.

They do that now. The starter never finishes the game, unless it's the world bowl. The thing is, the whole NFLE is misunderstood. Unfortunately this thread is starting the whole discussion over. There are 2 other threads that have dealt with this. I wish you'all would just mae me commish -then you'd have it down in a minute!

MJZiggy
06-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the forum NoVa. (Does that stand for Northern Virginia or Spanish for doesn't go?) If you need help with your avatar or have any questions, I'll gladly find someone computer literate to help you out. MadtownPack would be a good choice.

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Sorry Nova, I shoulda welcomed ya to the forum!! WELCOME!!

It's just that this is the topic that gets my ire going more than SOV!

Tony Oday
06-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Well These are some of my thoughts on it my ideas are a little off the wall but hang with me :)

Merge with the CFLs 9 teams brings the total to 15 teams. NFLE turns into a division against the CFL teams.

Expand the CFL by one team.

That gives the new League 16 teams and allows for two NFL teams to share a team.

The teams that share in the NFL will be a NFC and AFC team. This will make sure that the new Packer players arent friends and team mates with say the Vikings or the Bears.

Going off a roster of 52 players per team each NFL team has to allocate the 26 players from their team.

Players will be tagged 1st tier or 2nd tier.

4 players may be tagged 1st tier cannot be in the NFL for more than 5 years. (this is a developmental league!)

If a 1st tier player is injured for the season the allocating team is awarded a pick in the subsequent draft the same round as the injured player.

If a player is allocated to the new league at a 1st tier spot they are not counted against the 52 player roster in the NFL until the 6th week when they can be moved to the practice squad without being released.

10 game season with inter division play. (sticky because of different conntinent thing ;)

8 teams make the playoffs.

winner of the division and by record for the remaining spots.

Team that wins the championship gets the two NFL sponser teams a free 2nd round pick in the next years draft at the end of the round.

2nd place gets a 4th rounder

Playoff winners get a 6th rounder

making the playoffs gets you a 7th rounder

this would incentivise the NFL teams to send decent players to this new league.

thoughts?

*edit*
Also make Tarlam the Commish ;)

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Great ideas. You just want my job! :cool:

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 03:45 PM
I love the idea of rewarding winners with draft picks. I would suggest, though, that the winner of world bowl gets pick # 33 and #34. (two NFL teams). The higher pick goes in order of the draft. Second place in world bowl gets the corresponding 2nd round picks, and so forth.

I love bringing Canada into it, but, Canada will not.

Overall, some great ideas...

Tony Oday
06-05-2006, 03:47 PM
I thought of the higher picks but man that seems too high for me for some reason.

Just buy Canada!!!! cmon at that exchange rate we could by the whole company for what it costs for a number 6 and a coke!!!!

Tarlam!
06-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Are you completely bizarre? What is the cost of fielding a 3rd rate football team? 50 players, coaches and band aides? That MUST be worth a 1st if I field the best....

Tony Oday
06-05-2006, 03:58 PM
I dont know I just think that a 1st rounder is too high but heck its open to suggestions! :)

The main benefit of the new league would be upgraded players that have upgraded experience when they step on the NFL field. Not just college players but actually proffesional that is all I do is play football talent.

BigDmoney
06-05-2006, 04:24 PM
some questions regarding this set-up?
football is a much different animal than the other longer-gamed seasons. How would injuries and underperfroming roster members be handled. Would it be modeled after baseball where injured players can be designated back to the minors for rehab? As it stands now, players just sit on the sidelines and wait to come back. Maybe now you can call up a 2nd year QB while your stud QB or whatever rehabs for a month or two in Europe.

Tony Oday
06-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Big D the NFL would be playing at different times to fill up the void in sports that is called the NBA season!

Guiness
06-05-2006, 04:28 PM
I think you guys have put a lot of thought into things. However, you can't just 'use' the CFL. It happens to be a pro league in its own rights!

The NFL has had some agreements with it in the past, but I doubt very much it would be open to having players 'assigned' to it. The league has continuity, and teams have 10yr vets that the community knows and supports, etc. No interest in a league full of players passing through, hoping to move onto something better.

Tony Oday
06-05-2006, 04:30 PM
GREAT point Guiness. Thats why we buy the league!!! ;) hehe

THat is a big flaw in my plan but is there a work around? Im sure there is :)

Brainstorm people!!! We need to get Tarlam a jobby job!

Tony Oday
06-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Just thought about it is there anyone in the CFL that could replace a starter in the NFL? I dont think so unless they cant stay off the mary jane!!!!

So this would give their pro league an infusion of money and talent will providing the cities a better product on the field and lead to inroads into the Canada market for the NFL.

CaptainKickass
06-05-2006, 04:33 PM
What would make me watch?

How about televising the games on american Network TV (ABC,CBS,NBC, FOX) on frickin' SUNDAY?

It's my same beef with the AFL, which I would watch more of if they could televise the games on frickin' Sunday!

Football/Sunday - just like beer/brats, spaghetti/sauce, chocolate/peanut butter - these things just go great together so why do they gotta re-invent the wheel?

Tony Oday
06-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Well I dont see it on the main networks however the NFL network would be nice if the games were on Sunday.

But that would be nice to turn on Fox and see an NFLE game in HD.

BigDmoney
06-05-2006, 04:45 PM
if the nfl could attach itself to the cfl somehow (other than wizzinator customers smoking the ganga with likes of ricky williams), i don't think the canucks would have an player identity problem. As soon as the NFL puts it's name on anything, peoples interest is there. Would anybody be talking about this if the NFLE were called the Eurpean Football League or something but had the same players and orginization. I like the sound of NFL Canada and NFL Europe squaring off....nice You can't tell me there is ANY players in canada that wouldn't mind moving to the states to make dollars instead of Loonies and Toonies.

Tarlam!
06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
What would make me watch?

The only reason anyone would become a fan is if the NFL teams supported a SINGLE farm team. I put up a proposal on the other thread, where I allocated the NFL teams their farm teams, and also moved the franchises around Europe.

I TRULY think this league could be HUGE in promoting the NFL. Heck, get into the Aisan market - except they rip off the merchandise and sell cheapo copies...

HarveyWallbangers
06-06-2006, 09:20 PM
if the nfl could attach itself to the cfl somehow (other than wizzinator customers smoking the ganga with likes of ricky williams), i don't think the canucks would have an player identity problem. As soon as the NFL puts it's name on anything, peoples interest is there. Would anybody be talking about this if the NFLE were called the Eurpean Football League or something but had the same players and orginization. I like the sound of NFL Canada and NFL Europe squaring off....nice You can't tell me there is ANY players in canada that wouldn't mind moving to the states to make dollars instead of Loonies and Toonies.

The problem with this is that the Canadian Football League has been around longer than the NFL, has a long history, and its rules vary greatly from NFL rules. Canadians like their game. I'd like to hear from a Canadian about what they think.

Tony Oday
06-07-2006, 04:15 PM
That is true but you would think that they would love the 'world' feel to their league.