PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping

GrnBay007
05-23-2008, 04:22 PM
I never realized it was such hard work!! :oops:

Pulled 3 big bushes out of my front yard this morning, loaded and unloaded all the brick edging I'm going to use, picked up 4 large totes full of river rock from underneath the old bushes and filled the area with dirt. Now tomorrow is the new construction. I'm pooped. Thank goodness my son has a game tonight...a reason to SIT and enjoy the game!!!

....wonder how much it would have cost to hire it done. :D All I have to say is it better look nice when it's done!!! :? (can you tell by my whining I have a desk job for the most part?)

LL2
05-23-2008, 04:35 PM
I can relate completely! This past month I laid about a 3 foot by 80 foot section with topsoil and new sod, which replace a side walk that I smashed with a sledgehammer and hauled away. Landscaped one corner of our back yard into a flower garden surrounded by flat stone rock. In another corner I removed roughly 200 square feet of sod and planted a tree and a handful of wild tall grass plants.

I've been doing a little every weekend and put about 50+ hours into it. I'm taking a break this weekend and being lazy. I'm sure a lanscaper wouldv'e charged over 2k for all that.

Joemailman
05-23-2008, 04:45 PM

Pulled 3 big bushes out of my front yard this morning, loaded and unloaded all the brick edging I'm going to use, picked up 4 large totes full of river rock from underneath the old bushes and filled the area with dirt. Now tomorrow is the new construction. I'm pooped. Thank goodness my son has a game tonight...a reason to SIT and enjoy the game!!!

....wonder how much it would have cost to hire it done. :D All I have to say is it better look nice when it's done!!! :? (can you tell by my whining I have a desk job for the most part?)

Why didn't you just hire Red to do the job?

MJZiggy
05-23-2008, 05:22 PM
I know the feeling. I ripped up a sidewalk, put in a new path and doubled the size of the front garden last year. I got an estimate before I started and it would have cost $4k to have someone else do the work, then again, they likely would have finished it in a weekend and it took me slightly longer than that...

MadtownPacker
05-23-2008, 05:45 PM

....wonder how much it would have cost to hire it done. :D All I have to say is it better look nice when it's done!!! :? (can you tell by my whining I have a desk job for the most part?)You had your hands all over some bush?? Oh yeah, Bretsky is gonna like this.

red
05-23-2008, 05:49 PM

Why didn't you just hire Red to do the job?

i'd have done it cheap

in return for certain favors :wink:

you're going to save a ton doing it yourself, and you'll enjoy it more knowing you did the work all on your own

Deputy Nutz
05-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Plus we all get to here you bitch about how tough it is.

twoseven
05-23-2008, 06:18 PM

Pulled big bush out this morning, loaded and unloaded the bush and filled the area. I'm pooped. Thank goodness tonight to SIT and enjoy!!!

....wonder how much it would have cost to hire it done. :D
What a pervert :)

oregonpackfan
05-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Several years ago, my wife and I reached a stage where she would say things like "Wouldn't it be nice to put in shrubs, trees, and plants over here.." Instead of considering doing the job, I now answer "Sounds good, Dear, why don't you call a landscaping company and get an estimate?"

Besides lawnmowing, weeding, etc. I will no longer spend my time and effort fulfilling her "Better Homes and Gardens" fantasies. :)

MJZiggy
05-23-2008, 06:49 PM
What, OPF?? The putting in is easy--it's when she changes her mind and wants stuff OUT that it gets tricky...

GrnBay007
05-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Plus we all get to here you bitch about how tough it is.

:P

HUSH!!

GrnBay007
05-23-2008, 08:45 PM
you're going to save a ton doing it yourself,

Yes!!!!

and you'll enjoy it more knowing you did the work all on your own

well......for the most part. :oops:

my ex is helping with the edging tomorrow morning. :D

Deputy Nutz
05-23-2008, 11:27 PM
What, OPF?? The putting in is easy--it's when she changes her mind and wants stuff OUT that it gets tricky...

You're disgusting. Filthy

Partial
05-24-2008, 01:54 AM
I was doing some chain sawing today, and I was trying to manipulate a branch from a tree up against a fence in order to safely cut it into fire wood. Somehow, it slipped and I jabbed about an inch of wood directly into my bicep. It was bleeding really badly and is still aching quite badly.

SkinBasket
05-24-2008, 07:03 AM
This is why almost everyone here was against the idea of you getting a gun.

MJZiggy
05-24-2008, 07:26 AM
i'd have done it cheap

you're going to save a ton doing it yourself, and you'll enjoy it more knowing you did the work all on your own

You mean you could get--

and the landscaping done too????

MJZiggy
05-24-2008, 07:30 AM

You're disgusting. Filthy

Nobody said it was clean work. 8-)

Scott Campbell
05-24-2008, 08:35 AM
I was doing some chain sawing today, and I was trying to manipulate a branch from a tree up against a fence in order to safely cut it into fire wood. Somehow, it slipped and I jabbed about an inch of wood directly into my bicep. It was bleeding really badly and is still aching quite badly.

Better keep an eye on that. Sounds like a recipe for a really nasty infection.

Scott Campbell
05-24-2008, 08:38 AM
.......my ex is helping with the edging tomorrow morning. :D

Ok, that's a pretty neat trick. How'd you pull that off?

GrnBay007
05-24-2008, 09:10 AM
.......my ex is helping with the edging tomorrow morning. :D

Ok, that's a pretty neat trick. How'd you pull that off?

Just asked. :D

OK, off to work. but dang.....it's kinda cold out there. :?

red
05-24-2008, 09:11 AM
i'd have done it cheap

You mean you could get--

and the landscaping done too????

multitasking

MJZiggy
05-24-2008, 09:19 AM
I didn't know men knew how to do that...

sheepshead
05-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Humberto does it and he's the only one that speaks English.

MJZiggy
05-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Ya know, now that I think about it, there is that garden in the back that needs to be edged in brick...

red
05-24-2008, 11:53 AM
lol

desperate rat is right

SkinBasket
05-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Ya know, now that I think about it, there is that garden in the back that needs to be edged in brick...

If this is still a sexual reference, I'm a little concerned.

MJZiggy
05-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Oh lighten up, Seymour.

SkinBasket
05-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Seymour Butts is a friend of mine.

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2008, 12:47 PM
http://silencedmajority.blogs.com/silenced_majority_portal/images/2007/10/07/dsc05304.jpg

RashanGary
05-24-2008, 01:08 PM
If anyone is planning on putting in a brick patio, I recommend taking a look at the stamped concrete. It's very hard to prevent bricks from settling, but if you get a cool concrete design, it will be much more stable and resistant to uneven settling (amd it will look like bricks).

If you ever see the brick looking cross walks and roundabouts, they are not brick, but stamped concrete. I think it's a very usefull and cosmetically pleasing building material with the new stamping and coloring that they do. And vote for me to stay :)

red
05-24-2008, 01:23 PM
bricks are fine as long as you do it right

get a nice level sand base, and compact the shit out of it so its solid

and pavers look 50 times better then stamped concrete

Scott Campbell
05-24-2008, 02:49 PM
bricks are fine as long as you do it right

get a nice level sand base, and compact the shit out of it so its solid

and pavers look 50 times better then stamped concrete

Pavers are the ultimate outdoor surface. Installed correctly, they've got a 100 year life expectancy. Unlike many other surfaces, it can be repaired. I wouldn't use sand. Try road base.

Bretsky
05-24-2008, 03:13 PM
When I saw a Lanscaping thread by 007 I thought she was finally going to participate in a mud wrestling exhibition in her back yard or something

Executive Producer: Bretsky
Director : Bretsky

I'm taking donations and anybody who would like to serve on the exective committee is welcome. We also need a filming crew and a couple volunteers to water down the rink :lol:

oregonpackfan
05-24-2008, 06:02 PM
If anyone is planning on putting in a brick patio, I recommend taking a look at the stamped concrete. It's very hard to prevent bricks from settling, but if you get a cool concrete design, it will be much more stable and resistant to uneven settling (amd it will look like bricks).

If you ever see the brick looking cross walks and roundabouts, they are not brick, but stamped concrete. I think it's a very usefull and cosmetically pleasing building material with the new stamping and coloring that they do. And vote for me to stay :)

JH,

You have me sold on the stamped concrete. It is attractive and much easier than putting in pavers.

Several years ago, I installed an 8' by 12' section using pavers. I did all the research and consulted guys at the Home Depot before installing it. After a year, it looked very uneven. I spent an entire afternoon pulling out each and every paver and redoing the base. I installed the pavers to a more even setting.

Now two years later, the section is again uneven(and we don't have frost heaves in this part of Oregon). I just shake my head and mutter, "Never will I install pavers again!" :)

Oscar
05-24-2008, 07:48 PM
A guy I've done some work for had a couple loads of old road paver's 4x4x8's. I salvaged a lil over 200 of these beauties.. I'm trying do decide how I want to use them..For a walk way in front of my house or maybe a something in the back near the garden..

GrnBay007
05-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Ohhhhh My Gosh....it's 99% done and then plant a lil grass sead in a few places......and it's beautiful!! I love it!!!! Well worth the work. We worked 9:30 till 6 and I'm beat....but if I can make myself stand and walk to the door, I'd love to see if my lighting is working now that it's dark. lol :P

red
05-24-2008, 10:05 PM
well thats just dumb working that hard on a weekend

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2008, 10:40 PM

right on, bro

don't let these calvinist, work-ethic bitches ruin our good vibe.

GrnBay007
05-24-2008, 11:14 PM

Actually I took vacation time for this project but then ended up needing to work longer then expected b4 being off. Anyway, doesn't matter....the hard work/satisfaction was no comparison to the icky stress of work. I've been outside 3x tonight to admire it with the lights......that are working!!! :D If I wasn't afraid of spiders, I take my sleeping bag out there and sleep in the lawn! :P :wink:

GrnBay007
05-24-2008, 11:15 PM

right on, bro

don't let these calvinist, work-ethic bitches ruin our good vibe.

mean dog!

Bretsky
05-24-2008, 11:16 PM
so is the pit ready for the waterboy :?: :lol:

GrnBay007
05-24-2008, 11:17 PM
so is the pit ready for the waterboy :?: :lol:

I have plenty of water.........I need a massage tonight!! :P Don't be selfish! lol