PDA

View Full Version : Vikings cut ties with James after series of knee injuries

Tarlam!
05-24-2008, 02:06 AM
MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Vikings cut ties with former first-round pick Erasmus James on Friday, essentially tying a bow on a monumentally disappointing 2005 draft.

The Vikings waived James after he failed to pass a physical and now have hardly anything to show for a 2005 draft that was supposed to shore up several weak spots in the post-Randy Moss era.

Minnesota chose James out of Wisconsin with the 18th overall pick, envisioning him as the pass-rushing defensive end they had sorely lacked since the days of Chris Doleman. But after notching four sacks in 15 games during his rookie season, James had a series of serious knee injuries that derailed his time with the Vikings.

James tore the ACL in his left knee in Week 2 of the 2006 season. After a long and arduous rehab, James returned to the Vikings and played sparingly in six games last year. But he suffered a similar injury to the same knee in Week 13 against Detroit and again was placed on injured reserve.

After his second injury, coach Brad Childress said he expected James to make a full recovery. James also attended the four days of "organized team activities" this week and participated on a limited basis.

"We decided to waive Erasmus and we wish the best for him in the future," Childress, who was not with the team for the 2005 draft, said in a statement issued by the team.

A message left with James' agent, Ethan Lock, was not immediately returned.

The Vikings sorely missed James on the defensive line the last two seasons, an absence that contributed to the team ranking last in the league in pass defense.

James' injury, coupled with Kenechi Udeze contracting leukemia, makes defensive end a priority for the Vikings in free agency. They made a big splash in April when they traded with Kansas City for All-Pro Jared Allen, who led the NFL with 15½ sacks last season.

Now, with Allen, Ray Edwards and Brian Robison, the Vikings are on much more stable ground at the position, though defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said Thursday they will need someone like Jayme Mitchell or Ellis Wyms to step up and provide depth.

The 25-year-old James leaves the Vikings with just five career sacks and 38 tackles in three seasons. Making the move this long before the start of training camp affords James the chance to catch on with another team, provided he is healthy enough to play.

James' inability to stay healthy was just one of the failures of the 2005 draft.

Earlier in the round, at No. 7 overall, the Vikings took receiver Troy Williamson out of South Carolina as the heir apparent to Moss, who was shipped to Oakland that season. Williamson struggled mightily with drops during his three years in purple and was traded to Jacksonville earlier this offseason.

Third-round cornerback Dustin Fox, fourth-round running back Ciatrick Fason, sixth-round defensive lineman C.J. Mosley and seventh-round cornerback Adrian Ward are also no longer with the team, leaving second-round offensive tackle Marcus Johnson, a seldom-used backup, as the only player remaining from the 2005 class.

The Vikings went 9-7 in 2005, coach Mike Tice's last season with the team. Owner Zygi Wilf cleaned house after a season-ending victory over Chicago.

The new regime headed by Childress and vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman has had more success in the draft early in their tenures.

Last year, the Vikings struck it big with running back Adrian Peterson in the first round, while receiver Sidney Rice (second round), cornerback Marcus McCauley (third round), Robison (fourth round) and receiver Aundrae Allison (fifth round) all made significant contributions.

In 2006, the Vikings drafted future starters in linebacker Chad Greenway (first round), cornerback Cedric Griffin (second round), offensive lineman Ryan Cook (second round), quarterback Tarvaris Jackson (second round) and Edwards (fourth round).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80878caf&template=without-video&confirm=true

Tarlam!
05-24-2008, 02:07 AM
I remember when they made this pick, that I was really not pleased at all. On paper, Erasmus looked pretty much like a beast.

Too bad he couldn't stay healthy.

pack4to84
05-24-2008, 06:43 AM
He was the guy I wanted the Packers to take. I was really upset when the Vikings got him. He was a beast in college.

Rastak
05-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Did have knee problems at Wisconsin?

I think he could have developed into a really good DE but you can't keep tearing up your knee and be even a little effective.

He seems like a pretty good guy too. Maybe he can rehab it and continue to play but that might be a longshot.

cpk1994
05-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Did have knee problems at Wisconsin?

I think he could have developed into a really good DE but you can't keep tearing up your knee and be even a little effective.

He seems like a pretty good guy too. Maybe he can rehab it and continue to play but that might be a longshot.Yes he did. I think hip problems as well. He really only had only one year of production, his senior year.

oregonpackfan
05-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Stories like this emphasize that football is one tough sport.

Scott Campbell
05-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Stories like this emphasize that football is one tough sport.

That, and its not good enough just to be a great player. Talent without durability means nothing.

Bretsky
05-24-2008, 10:07 AM
It would not hurt to give this guy a shot

Rastak
05-24-2008, 10:59 AM

I would think he'd be cheap. Thing is, it's hard to find pass rushers so I doubt they would have cut him if they thought he had a shot at making it back. Two torn acl's in a row on the same knee, that's pretty hard to come back from. To be honest, I hoped he could come back but I kind of assumed he was finished.

woodbuck27
05-24-2008, 11:16 AM

Don't we need more WR's? :)

and YES bring him in for at least a look.

CaliforniaCheez
05-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I knew it was a bad pick at the time it was made. I saw the knee injury on television when it happened. The guy was a New Jersey trouble maker.

The Vikings could have had Aaron Rodgers instead.

The next year they traded up to get a bust named Tarvaris Jackson.

They could have had Drew Brees but they picked Michael Bennett instead.

Their failure to get a QB is now their serious sore spot.

oregonpackfan
05-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Their failure to get a QB is now their serious sore spot.[/quote]

The Bears are beginning to realize that the QB position just might be their sore spot as well, or do they?

twoseven
05-24-2008, 02:05 PM

I would think he'd be cheap. Thing is, it's hard to find pass rushers so I doubt they would have cut him if they thought he had a shot at making it back. Two torn acl's in a row on the same knee, that's pretty hard to come back from. To be honest, I hoped he could come back but I kind of assumed he was finished.
Before the Vikes landed Jared Allen they needed TWO ends, cutting James when they still have work to do opposite Allen can't be a good sign for what James might have left.

Iron Mike
05-24-2008, 05:03 PM
I met Erasmus James at the Jellystone Park Campground in Fremont in 2002. He was the only black person there.

He and his buddy spent the weekend playing video games. I spent the weekend wondering why they needed to rent a campsite to do that. :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
05-24-2008, 06:46 PM
I knew it was a bad pick at the time it was made. I saw the knee injury on television when it happened. The guy was a New Jersey trouble maker.

The Vikings could have had Aaron Rodgers instead.

Please try to at least ATTEMPT to be accurate.

EJ wasn't from NJ. He played football in florida, from the St.Kitts. He only played one year of high school football.

EJ is the story of a low "starred" recruit that made himself into something.

EJ never was in trouble at UW or with the Vikes.

I dont' know who you are thinking of, but maybe Hawthorne..and even he wasn't from NJ.

If this is what passes for being sagacious...might be time to change your moniker. :oops:

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2008, 10:50 PM

Don't we need more WR's? :)

and YES bring him in for at least a look.

I think James has had so many serious surgeries that its not even worth a look. Maybe in a couple years he'll make a dramatic return to NFL, but doubtful.

He was INCREDIBLY talented in college, if only for a brief period.

texaspackerbacker
05-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Most of the time, players can come back from ACL surgery--not always, but it takes well over a year for the injury to be overcome.

Signing James cheap, even if it means putting him on IR for the whole season would be a good move. You waste a few hundred thousand--peanuts in the NFL--if he is permanently damaged, but if he does come all the way back, you have the rights to a potential star.

Harlan Huckleby
05-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Most of the time, players can come back from ACL surgery--not always, but it takes well over a year for the injury to be overcome. .

James has had THREE knee surgeries, following a hip surgergy that was thought to be career ending.

texaspackerbacker
05-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Wasn't the hip surgery BEFORE his big season with the Badgers?

He probably is finished, but just in case he isn't, a small investment wouldn't hurt.

cpk1994
05-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Wasn't the hip surgery BEFORE his big season with the Badgers?

He probably is finished, but just in case he isn't, a small investment wouldn't hurt.Yes, the hip surgery was before his big year with the Badgers.

bobblehead
05-26-2008, 09:48 AM
In a related story james was quoted:

"I really wish they had let me come back this season. I mean with all the talent on the line I figure I could have broken the single season tackles record. I feel good, I'm ready to go, yep, 200 tackles and 18 sacks wasn't out of the question for me."

mngolf19
05-27-2008, 12:22 PM

"I really wish they had let me come back this season. I mean with all the talent on the line I figure I could have broken the single season tackles record. I feel good, I'm ready to go, yep, 200 tackles and 18 sacks wasn't out of the question for me."

It's interesting to see this quote in relation to Ray Edwards saying he believes he'll break Strahan's sack record. Means 2 guys thought they would dominate from that position this year.

KYPack
05-27-2008, 02:46 PM

It's interesting to see this quote in relation to Ray Edwards saying he believes he'll break Strahan's sack record. Means 2 guys thought they would dominate from that position this year.

Delusions of grandeur.

The Pack won't pick James up. He's all done.

HarveyWallbangers
05-27-2008, 02:53 PM

Ummm... I think it was a joke.

red
05-27-2008, 05:07 PM
turns out the vikes decided not to cut him

they traded him to the skins for a conditional 7th

Rastak
05-27-2008, 05:07 PM
In a weird development....per PFT.com the Vikings rescinded James off the waiver wire and then traded him to Washington for a conditional 7.

VIKINGS TRADE JAMES TO ‘SKINS
Posted by Mike Florio on May 27, 2008, 5:28 p.m.
As it turns out, the Minnesota Vikings didn’t cut defensive end Erasmus James after all.

Instead, the reported move was rescinded by the Vikings on Tuesday, and James has been traded to the Washington Redskins for a conditional seventh-round draft pick.

“We really liked Erasmus coming out of college,” executive V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato said. “He’s young and talented, and he has a great deal of potential. We like the fact that his defensive line coach at the University of Wisconsin — John Palermo — is our current defensive line coach.”

James was a first-round pick of the Vikings in the 2005 draft.

Lurker64
05-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I wonder what's more of an ego hit: being cut or being traded for a conditional seventh.

KYPack
05-27-2008, 10:01 PM
I wonder what's more of an ego hit: being cut or being traded for a conditional seventh.

I can't believe this one.

The Skins do some pretty strange shit from a mgt standpoint.

Spaulding
05-27-2008, 10:54 PM

That had to based on their decent record and otherwise possibility of losing out on James due to a team with a worse record putting in a claim for him on the waiver wire.

Conditional 7th (based on making the roster) seems like a potentially good deal for a former mid 1st rounder (albeit with bum knees).

Fritz
06-02-2008, 12:16 PM

That had to based on their decent record and otherwise possibility of losing out on James due to a team with a worse record putting in a claim for him on the waiver wire.

Conditional 7th (based on making the roster) seems like a potentially good deal for a former mid 1st rounder (albeit with bum knees).

Maybe the Pack could've gotten him for Will Blackmon.