PDA

View Full Version : (Ray) Edwards Targets Strahan's Sack Record

vince
05-25-2008, 12:02 PM
From PFT.

I just love this kind of talk - especially when it comes from a no-name Viking who posted a whopping 5 sacks last season...

EDWARDS TARGETS STRAHAN’S RECORD

Posted by Mike Florio on May 25, 2008, 12:16 p.m.

Ray Edwards says that he plans to breaking the single-season sack record, currently held by Giants defensive end Michael Strahan.

All together now: “Who in the hell is Ray Edwards?”

Edwards is a defensive end with the Vikings, the fourth member of a neo-Purple People Eaters line featuring Pro Bowlers Jared Allen, Pat Williams, and Kevin Williams.

After being suspended four games in 2007 for violation of the league’s policy against anabolic steroids and related substances, Edwards has dedicated himself to becoming the best he can be.

“I look up to Strahan,” Edwards recently told KSTP-TV in Minnesota. ”I learned a lot from him watching and studying his film.

“This year I definitely plan on going out here and breaking Strahan’s record of 22 and 1/2 sacks this year.”

On the surface, Edwards’ claim is ludicrous. But given that he’s certain to face favorable matchups as offensive lines obsess over stopping Allen and the Williamses, Edwards will have more than a fair opportunity to make an impact.

To get there, he has taken up boxing, and he worked out nearly every day during the offseason. He’ll move to the left side of the defensive line, where he’ll face right tackles — just as Strahan has done.

Hey, Edwards probably won’t reach his goal. But at least he’s aiming high.

red
05-25-2008, 12:05 PM
yeah

good luck with that buddy

i watch a lot of football too, does that mean i could break the td record for running backs?

MJZiggy
05-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Did you take up boxing because you're serious about it?

red
05-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Did you take up boxing because you're serious about it?

no

but i have started drinking more

and to quote the great philosopher, homer

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose. It's how drunk you get."

Rastak
05-25-2008, 01:36 PM
From PFT.

I just love this kind of talk - especially when it comes from a no-name Viking who posted a whopping 5 sacks last season...

EDWARDS TARGETS STRAHAN’S RECORD

Posted by Mike Florio on May 25, 2008, 12:16 p.m.

Ray Edwards says that he plans to breaking the single-season sack record, currently held by Giants defensive end Michael Strahan.

All together now: “Who in the hell is Ray Edwards?”

Edwards is a defensive end with the Vikings, the fourth member of a neo-Purple People Eaters line featuring Pro Bowlers Jared Allen, Pat Williams, and Kevin Williams.

After being suspended four games in 2007 for violation of the league’s policy against anabolic steroids and related substances, Edwards has dedicated himself to becoming the best he can be.

“I look up to Strahan,” Edwards recently told KSTP-TV in Minnesota. ”I learned a lot from him watching and studying his film.

“This year I definitely plan on going out here and breaking Strahan’s record of 22 and 1/2 sacks this year.”

On the surface, Edwards’ claim is ludicrous. But given that he’s certain to face favorable matchups as offensive lines obsess over stopping Allen and the Williamses, Edwards will have more than a fair opportunity to make an impact.

To get there, he has taken up boxing, and he worked out nearly every day during the offseason. He’ll move to the left side of the defensive line, where he’ll face right tackles — just as Strahan has done.

Hey, Edwards probably won’t reach his goal. But at least he’s aiming high.

Yea, I'd be more impressed if he said he was shooting for being average.

:roll:

The dude will see no doubleteams this year and he's shown flashes. I have no problem with a guy setting his goals high. Will he get it? Ummm, no. But why not shoot high? Plus, with Favre gone there won't be anyone available to give out the final one as a freebie...... :)

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2008, 01:47 PM
The guy must be pretty high on himself.

This should be the official Ray Edwards Countdown to the Single Season Sack Record thread.

I'll start it off.

22.5 sacks to go

BallHawk
05-25-2008, 01:49 PM
First Jon Kitna's "We're gonna win at least 10 games", now this.

Maybe the rest of the NFC North should worry about actually producing on the field instead of making foolish predictions.

Rastak
05-25-2008, 02:01 PM

This should be the official Ray Edwards Countdown to the Single Season Sack Record thread.

I'll start it off.

22.5 sacks to go

I'd much prefer he thinks he sucks and is lucky to be on the team..... :roll:

Good idea on the countdown though. Here's to 18.5 left heading into week 2!

edit: By the way, although I fully support setting ones goals very high, I think in this case keeping this goal to himself might have been the route to go.

bobblehead
05-25-2008, 03:25 PM
This guy already failed a steroids test and now he is gonna go and get himself tested for mindaltering drugs with this kinda talk.

vince
05-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Ras I understand your support for the guy, but this is a little over the top for someone who hasn't accomplished anything even in the ballpark of sniffing getting anywhere close to hoping to threaten average sack totals in the league - if you get my meaning.

To say this is just a joke. How about doing something on the field before opening one's mouth to look foolish...

Rastak
05-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Ras I understand your support for the guy, but this is a little over the top for someone who hasn't accomplished anything even in the ballpark of sniffing getting anywhere close to hoping to threaten average sack totals in the league - if you get my meaning.

To say this is just a joke. How about doing something on the field before opening one's mouth to look foolish...

Yup, I'm with you on the keeping it to yourself take.....

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, it's one thing for Adrian Peterson to say his goal is 2000 rushing yards. He actually has a chance at it. This guy may not to get to 22.5 sacks in his next three seasons combined.

Rastak
05-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Yeah, it's one thing for Adrian Peterson to say his goal is 2000 rushing yards. He actually has a chance at it. This guy may not to get to 22.5 sacks in his next three seasons combined.

If he get's 22.5 sacks I'll also win the lottery......LOL.....

Like I said, I'm fine with a guy shooting high...I'm not sure I'd tell everybody else.....

Partial
05-25-2008, 04:14 PM

I honestly would not be surprised if he did it.. But it probably won't happen until they show a consistent passing threat.

Joemailman
05-25-2008, 04:36 PM
JACKSON TARGETS BRADY'S RECORD

Tarvaris Jackson says that he plans to breaking the single-season TD pass record, currently held by Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

All together now: “Who in the hell is Tarvaris Jackson?”

Jackson is a quarterback with the Vikings.

After throwing 11 TD passes and 16 INT's in his first two seasons, Jackson has dedicated himself to becoming the best he can be.

“I look up to Brady,” Jackson recently told KSTP-TV in Minnesota. ”I learned a lot from him watching and studying his film.

“This year I definitely plan on going out here and breaking Brady's record of 50 TD passes this year.”

On the surface, Edwards’ claim is ludicrous. But given that he’s certain to face favorable matchups as defenses obsess over stopping Adrian Peterson, Edwards will have more than a fair opportunity to make an impact.

To get there, he has taken up boxing, and he worked out nearly every day during the offseason.

Hey, Jackson probably won’t reach his goal. But at least he’s aiming high.

MJZiggy
05-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Were these in The Onion or something?

HarveyWallbangers
05-25-2008, 05:03 PM
JACKSON TARGETS BRADY'S RECORD

Tarvaris Jackson says that he plans to breaking the single-season TD pass record, currently held by Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

All together now: “Who in the hell is Tarvaris Jackson?”

Jackson is a quarterback with the Vikings.

After throwing 11 TD passes and 16 INT's in his first two seasons, Jackson has dedicated himself to becoming the best he can be.

“I look up to Brady,” Jackson recently told KSTP-TV in Minnesota. ”I learned a lot from him watching and studying his film.

“This year I definitely plan on going out here and breaking Brady's record of 50 TD passes this year.”

On the surface, Edwards’ claim is ludicrous. But given that he’s certain to face favorable matchups as defenses obsess over stopping Adrian Peterson, Edwards will have more than a fair opportunity to make an impact.

To get there, he has taken up boxing, and he worked out nearly every day during the offseason.

Hey, Jackson probably won’t reach his goal. But at least he’s aiming high.

Change Edwards to Jackson, and shoot it over to Florio.
:D

Rastak
05-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Mailman shoots for smartass of the year....

and he nails it!

Lets make shit up instead of discuss what was actually said!

I have a shitload of material with Rodgers and Favre but what would be the point of that?

Zool
05-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Mailman shoots for smartass of the year....

and he nails it!

Lets make shit up instead of discuss what was actually said!

I have a shitload of material with Rodgers and Favre but what would be the point of that?

Damn Raz. This is a Packer board. You're gonna get shots like this. It was kinda funny, and about as likely.

Iron Mike
05-26-2008, 05:50 AM
You know what they say about "If you can't stand the heat?" 8-)

woodbuck27
05-26-2008, 07:28 AM

I'll start it off.

22.5 sacks to go

'' The best laid plans of mice and men. '' :)

Rastak
05-26-2008, 02:15 PM
You know what they say about "If you can't stand the heat?" 8-)

You get a beer from the kitchen? Something like that, anyway.

Or you start a big flame war which degenerates into a mindless mass of pure ignorance and stupidity on all sides.

I'll go get a brew I guess.

GrnBay007
05-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Who cares......let the guy set his goals high!! More power to him. At least he's not out there shooting people or involved in dog fighting :D

Good luck to him.......as long as he doesn't sack Rodgers!! :P

KYPack
05-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah.

Lighten up, Ras.

It was funny, Dude.

Lurker64
05-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah.

Lighten up, Ras.

It was funny, Dude.

I have to agree. Let's take our partisan glasses off, here's what happened:

"A fairly obscure player who's not one of the elite players in the NFL at his position (most likely not the best player at that position on his own team) and hasn't really accomplished much of note so far in his career claims he is determined this year to break an all time record that was set by one of the elite players at that position."

No matter who that player is, what his position is, what team he plays on, what the record is, or who set that record that's a weird thing to say.

If James Jones came out and claimed he was determined to break Moss's record for TD receptions this year (even though that's out of character for James from what I know of him), I would certainly think that was a little laughable.

MJZiggy
05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Beer sounds good...

Rastak
05-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah.

Lighten up, Ras.

It was funny, Dude.

"A fairly obscure player who's not one of the elite players in the NFL at his position (most likely not the best player at that position on his own team) and hasn't really accomplished much of note so far in his career claims he is determined this year to break an all time record that was set by one of the elite players at that position."

No matter who that player is, what his position is, what team he plays on, what the record is, or who set that record that's a weird thing to say.

If James Jones came out and claimed he was determined to break Moss's record for TD receptions this year (even though that's out of character for James from what I know of him), I would certainly think that was a little laughable.

Hey KY and Lurker, I think we are closer to agreeing than disagreeing. I like the fact he's got some lofty goals, I'm not sure I would have told the newspaper.....LOL.

As for Mailman's little piece, no problem. Like I said, I had a great one in mind for Rodgers and Favre and consective quarter streak but I held off!

Why?

a) It ain't that funny
b) It has nothing to do with this.

Rastak
05-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Beer sounds good...

I took my own advice since it's a holiday......and it is good!

HarveyWallbangers
05-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Who cares......let the guy set his goals high!! More power to him. At least he's not out there shooting people or involved in dog fighting :D

Good luck to him.......as long as he doesn't sack Rodgers!! :P

Nah, he's just using steroids--causing him to get banned for 4 games.

KYPack
05-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Yeah.

Lighten up, Ras.

It was funny, Dude.

Hey KY and Lurker, I think we are closer to agreeing than disagreeing. I like the fact he's got some lofty goals, I'm not sure I would have told the newspaper.....LOL.

As for Mailman's little piece, no problem. Like I said, I had a great one in mind for Rodgers and Favre and consective quarter streak but I held off!

Why?

a) It ain't that funny
b) It has nothing to do with this.

Cool by me, Ras.,

I've been on both sides of a flame war and know it's more fun to flame than burn.

I thought JM's bit was funny, but probably not to a Purple fan.

Happy Mem. Day (If that's proper to say).

Rastak
05-26-2008, 04:35 PM
You too KY.

Get some good chow and relax.

red
05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Beer sounds good...

like, duh

when doesn't it sound good?

MJZiggy
05-26-2008, 07:50 PM
When I'm drinking wine... 8-)