PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes....whew, that was close

GrnBay007
05-25-2008, 10:23 PM
We had a tornado warning tonight...no electricity for almost 2 hours. Parkersburg, IA got hit hard. The latest report is 7 dead and 50 injured. The tornado flattened many homes. Too close for comfort....only about 70 miles from here.

FYI - Parkersburg is where our beloved Kampman is from.

I hate storms!! Biggest thing I hate about the midwest.

red
05-25-2008, 10:27 PM
we had some hail and hard rain, but it looked like the big stuff went south of here

looks like wausau got hit hard by a few big cells

GrnBay007
05-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Kids are camping tonight with their Dad. Excuse the language, but why the fuck does anyone go camping when there is a chance of bad weather? ...like I'm going to sleep tonight. :?

GrnBay007
05-25-2008, 10:30 PM
So much for the beginning of my garden. My tomato plants are flat. :(

red
05-25-2008, 10:31 PM
yeah, thats no good

and there was plenty of warning. they've been calling for these storms for about a week now

i'm sure they're fine, they'll just have a hell of a story to tell when they get older.

GrnBay007
05-25-2008, 10:39 PM
yeah, thats no good

and there was plenty of warning. they've been calling for these storms for about a week now

i'm sure they're fine, they'll just have a hell of a story to tell when they get older.

My daughter called several times. Of the whole group only 1 cell phone is charged......ugh. Anyway, she's like me and scared of storms. My son is the carefree type..thinks it's cool :shock: The shelter at the campground is in the basement of the bar....so the last time she called I could barely hear her over the music. :roll: Makes a mom feel real good. lol

red
05-25-2008, 10:42 PM
well, at least they have the booze to keep their mind off the storm

GrnBay007
05-25-2008, 10:48 PM
well, at least they have the booze to keep their mind off the storm

well yeah, the adults. Freaked me out hearing my kid call with that noise in the background. Don't think I'll be able to handle the next 9-10 years!! :shock:

red
05-25-2008, 10:53 PM
nah, kids too

traumatic experience is a good time to start drinking

Partial
05-26-2008, 01:12 AM
It was storming really hard here but I think its pretty much done. I always get worried about tornados and whatnot because the Sirens around here suck. My girlfriend is in the heart of the HC and they cannot hear them from their house.

GBRulz
05-26-2008, 08:35 AM
I drove home from Eagle River last night and I went through two nasty cells on the way home. The second one was Shawano, about 30 miles NE of GB. Some hail, raining so hard people were pulled over on the side of the road, lightening was way too close and the sky was a very eerie color of yellow. I absolutely love storms, but being out in the middle of nowhere like that was too close for comfort.

I saw on the news that a suburb of St. Paul got hit with a bad tornado. At the time, 20 were missing and 1 dead.

Glad that you are safe, 007. When I saw all the warnings last night for IA, I was thinking about ya. You guys def get your share of storms, that's for sure.

Scott Campbell
05-26-2008, 08:43 AM
A campground with a bar?

I think it's still early enough to replant your garden. Glad you're alright.

LL2
05-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Sure seems like twisters are hitting everywhere right now.

Oscar
05-26-2008, 09:42 AM
A tornado hit my place a few years back. I live in N.W.Missouri so we have our share of warnings. What was so scary was how fast it happened. I have 4 kids and had no time to get in the basement. It took out a few trees (put one through the roof) and some windows but no one was hurt. We were extremely lucky.

oregonpackfan
05-26-2008, 10:35 AM
We actually had a thunderstorm with lighting two nights ago here in Oregon!
Those kinds of storms, common in the Midwest, are uncommon out here.

The weather for this Memorial Day weekend has been overcast, cool, and rainy. It was amazing to see the number of RV's and 5th wheel trailers on the road last Thursday and Friday.

GrnBay007
05-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Glad that you are safe, 007. When I saw all the warnings last night for IA, I was thinking about ya. You guys def get your share of storms, that's for sure.

Thanks. Yeah, the kids were camping in WI so I was watching the weather in both places.

Wow, have you seen the pics of the damage in Parkersburg? Horrible how many people lost their homes.

MadtownPacker
05-26-2008, 11:41 AM
A tornado hit my place a few years back. I live in N.W.Missouri so we have our share of warnings. What was so scary was how fast it happened. I have 4 kids and had no time to get in the basement. It took out a few trees (put one through the roof) and some windows but no one was hurt. We were extremely lucky.Thats some crazy shit man. I have never been anywheres near a tornado.

GrnBay007
05-26-2008, 12:39 PM
A tornado hit my place a few years back. I live in N.W.Missouri so we have our share of warnings. What was so scary was how fast it happened. I have 4 kids and had no time to get in the basement. It took out a few trees (put one through the roof) and some windows but no one was hurt. We were extremely lucky.

You were lucky Jeff. And you are right, sometimes it hits so fast there is little time to react/prepare. I bet your kids were scared! Windows and a roof can be repaired. Glad everyone was ok.

The Leaper
05-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Sure seems like twisters are hitting everywhere right now.

I saw something on the weather channel today...we've had as many twisters to this point in 2008 as we normally have in an entire year.

GBRulz
05-26-2008, 11:08 PM
A campground with a bar?

Obviously they were not camping in Utah :lol:

GrnBay007
05-26-2008, 11:09 PM
A campground with a bar?

Heck no. They were camping in WI. So it would be more like....a campground without a bar???? :shock:

GBRulz
05-26-2008, 11:13 PM
A campground with a bar?

Heck no. They were camping in WI. So it would be more like....a campground without a bar???? :shock:

I don't know that such a thing exists, lol.

Deputy Nutz
05-27-2008, 08:51 AM
About 25 years ago a Tornado swept threw Kettle Moraine area in Wisconsin, my family lived in Wales and my mom had to dive in a culvert on her way home from work. I was only 4 or 5 years old and ran to the basebent, but nobody else followed, I went back upstairs and my aunt was hanging out the window taking pictures of the thing and everyone else was trying to find a better view of thing. Only one year later a Tornado went threw our subdivision in Waukesha. It tore the next door neighbor's roof off and then smashed in the school behind our house. Our house went untouched.

oregonpackfan
05-27-2008, 11:11 AM
About 28-29 years ago, I introduced my fiancee' to my mother during the middle of a tornado.

We were driving to my mother's home in Rice Lake. Prior to arriving at the house, the weather was threatening with dark skies, humid weather, and strong winds. As we pulled into the driveway, the Tornado Warning sirens went off.

We scurried into the house, greeted my mother and dashed down to the basement. With the wind screaming through the narrow basement windows at a high pitch, I screamed at the top of my lungs, "Mom, I would like you to meet Lynn, my fiancee'"

My mother could only give her a hug and shout back to her "Welcome to the family and Wisconsin weather."

After we married, for some unknown reason my wife starting suggesting we move to her native state of Oregon... :?:

BallHawk
05-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Just a quip from the JSO Blog about Kampman's role in the clean-up.

Green Bay - The grandfather of Green Bay Packers defensive end Aaron Kampman underwent surgery today for injuries he sustained as his home was destroyed in Sunday's devastating tornado that hit near Kampman's hometown of Kesley, according to Packers.

Adam Woullard, the team's assistant director of public relations, spoke to Kampman this afternoon.

Claas Kampman, 71, resides in Parkersburg where the most serious damage occurred.

Kampman is at the site of the devastation, helping in relief efforts with his wife, Linde.
"Aaron said he has a chainsaw running and doing anything they can to help," Woullard said.

The Kampmans are asking anyone who would like to make a monetary donation to call Lincoln Savings Bank at (319) 347-2305.

As for less important matters, Kampman is unsure whether he will be able to attend this week's organized team activies, which start Wednesday.

red
05-27-2008, 05:42 PM
i had a funnel cloud dip down right over my house in illinois a few years back

it came about half way down, then went right back up

i thought for sure the house and the whole subdivision were goners

i saw the whole things from about a half mile down the road

HarveyWallbangers
05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
I grew up in a prairie state, so I've seen several tornadoes in my time. Most weren't that huge, but we had one enormous one that came close to destroying my hometown. It wouldn't have been pretty. Middle of the day, my cousin and I look up and see this funnel forming. We hauled ass home, jumped in Dad's truck, and darted off to the north-side of town--where we watched it from the top of a big hill. The tornado hit a few miles south of town.

Kampman's hometown has a ton of damage.

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/news/img/may08/iowaj1052808.jpg

GrnBay007
05-27-2008, 11:00 PM
A guy from our district office lost his home in the Parkersburg mess. An email we got today at work said the families get two days to try to find/gather any of their belongings and then they will be bringing bulldozers in.

GBRulz
05-27-2008, 11:27 PM
For whatever reason, GB seems to have some magical weather shield where all the major storms either go north or south of here. I wonder if it has something to do with the amount of water that surrounds it. dunno.

So, I've never been through or seen a tornado. I have however, experienced a hurricane when I lived in Florida as a kid. We lived about 45 miles from the coast so we didn't get the full force of it, just alot of wind and rain.