PDA

View Full Version : What Packer Rookie Are You Looking Forward To Seeing Play?

PackerPro42
05-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm going to say Jermichael Finley because he's coming into one of the weaker Packer positions and I think he'll be a nice complement to Donald Lee.

oregonpackfan
05-26-2008, 10:46 AM
For me, it was a tie between Finley, Lee, and Nelson.

Finley because the TE needs depth and because he sounds like a quick, athletic young man.

Lee because we need new blood behind our capable, but aging cornerbacks.

Nelson because he shores up an already strong receiver corps.

BallHawk
05-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Gotta go with Nelson. I want to see if he can live up to the bill of Greg Jennings II.

bobblehead
05-26-2008, 10:50 AM
I went with Lee because as stated we need the "heirs" to start and give us hope for the future. Also, nickel was a sore spot so its sort of a need now and a future play.

texaspackerbacker
05-26-2008, 11:15 AM
I suppose "all of the above" wouldn't work in a poll like this.

I went with Jermichael Finley because I see him as having the biggest swing in potential--from horrible bust to all out superstar.

I honestly don't see TE as a "need position"--at least first string. However, having two good receiving TEs along with a great runner and a bunch of outstanding wideouts opens up more possibilities than ever before.

Tarlam!
05-26-2008, 11:31 AM
I honestly don't see TE as a "need position"--at least first string.

None of our TE's can block. That makes me curious as to how we will run the WC without a fully fledged blocking TE. That's a staple, IIRC.

red
05-26-2008, 11:50 AM
lee

because to me finding the future at the cb position was priority #1 for this draft

i'll also be paying close attention to brandon flowers

RashanGary
05-26-2008, 12:44 PM
I'll say Nelson, but Sitton is 2nd. I see a lot of potential (and college production) in Sitton.

All of these guys are high potential picks but most of them seem to need at least a year. Nelson is probably the only one ready to really contribute and he's behind two probowl caliber WR's and another one that seems poised to break out. I just don't see him getting enough opportunities to have the type of years that Jones or Jennings had, but draft picks aren't picked to be one year players. He has a long career to kick ass in Green Bay.

Brohm is a clipboard holder for a year (minimum).

Patrick Lee seems to need at least a year. I don't even think he'll be the nickle back, but he could be a gunner on punt coverage.

Finley has 1st round talent with a 5th round noggan.

TT obviously felt good about Jeremy Thompson.

I love the Sitton pick and Giacomini has already stood out at OTA's and Mini camps

Flynn and Swain are the typical late round flyers but both seem to have potential. We'll see.

CaliforniaCheez
05-26-2008, 01:56 PM
The 2 that really need to come through and show something are Lee and Brohm.

If Brohm looks good I will be very happy. If he looks like Ingle Martin I will worry.

GrnBay007
05-26-2008, 02:49 PM
How could anyone NOT be interested in a Tight End??? :twisted:

:P

KYPack
05-26-2008, 03:26 PM

None of our TE's can block. That makes me curious as to how we will run the WC without a fully fledged blocking TE. That's a staple, IIRC.

Yer right, Tar, but a good blocking TE is becoming a thing of the past. Gonzalez, Gates and the current crop of star TE's are average blockers at best. The guys that can block tip a running play, so it's not worth putting 'em in.

Nowadays, poor blocking TE's still get drafted #1.

I doubt Finley is a great blocker, either.

Lee ain't great, but he gets in the way when he should.

Rastak
05-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Nelson is an interesting prospect. He's the kind of guy who can really contribute and also hang around a long time.

cheesner
05-26-2008, 04:24 PM

Yer right, Tar, but a good blocking TE is becoming a thing of the past. Gonzalez, Gates and the current crop of star TE's are average blockers at best. The guys that can block tip a running play, so it's not worth putting 'em in.

Lee ain't great, but he gets in the way when he should.So why are they called TEs and not just WRs?

I answered Nelson, only cause I think he is more likely to succeed. Finley has more potential though, and should have a few opportunities to make some big plays.

Joemailman
05-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Lee probably has the best chance at seeing a lot of playing time. However, Nelson should be fun to watch. I'm guessing he'll be a fan favorite. I'm intrigued by Sitton (our Guards need to get meaner). I doubt we'll see much of him this year though.

The Leaper
05-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Nelson, because he has the size and ability to be a major factor in the red zone...which is what this team needs.

I like Finley, but I think he's going to be very raw this year. I think he'll be a guy that blossoms more down the road.

HarveyWallbangers
05-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Lone vote for Brett Swain. I want to see this Wes Welker clone.
:D

Badgerinmaine
05-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Another vote here for Finley along the same lines as PackerPro42. Rookie WRs are notorious for usually not doing a great deal their rookie year.

digitaldean
05-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Had to go with Finley.

If we are seeing Brohm on a regular basis in the regular season it means injury or subpar play from Rodgers.

Want to see if he can at least try to extend the field more. (or at the least take pressure off of Donald Lee).

texaspackerbacker
05-26-2008, 08:20 PM
They're called TEs because they line up next to the Tackle--DUH!

Seriously, a mediocre blocking TE is usually better than a good blocking wideout, plus, being in tight tends to make for better blocking angles than out wide. Also, a two TE look gives some symmetry that makes defensing the running game harder--and if both TEs can go deep out of a running set, you have a real weapon.

Also, we picked up an ideal goal line blocking TE. I forget if it was Sitton or Giacomini started out at TE in college and caught a TD pass from Brohm.

Packnut
05-26-2008, 10:27 PM
No brainer for me- Mr Nelson. I'm chompin at the bit to see this guy play at the pro level. I can guarentee he ain't gonna cough up the ball twice against our division rival...........

GrnBay007
05-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I can guarentee he ain't gonna cough up the ball twice against our division rival...........

Brat! :?

:wink:

Go JJ! :clap:

twoseven
05-27-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm voting for Nelson. At 6' 3", 220 he is a big target for a WR. I am looking to see if this kid can physically create space for himself on top of the routes he's supposed to run so well. Can we expect some mismatches? Have heard he has huge hands. Have the feeling this kid could be a magnet for the ball.

Tarlam!
05-27-2008, 03:22 AM

Lee ain't great, but he gets in the way when he should.

Well, they could slip the rookie Brazilian guard at TE on some plays and run the U68, a more successful, yet to be designed version of the U71. The kid started his college career at TE and moved to the OL.

I suspect he can block. At 300 lb, he'd be a handful for even the stoutest 'backer.

Packnut
05-27-2008, 07:48 AM
I can guarentee he ain't gonna cough up the ball twice against our division rival...........

Brat! :?

:wink:

Go JJ! :clap:

I know I know, I should just let it go, but there are some things in life that I just can't forgive and fumbling twice against the Bears is right up on my list along with murder and adultery! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BF4MVP
05-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Preseason: Brohm

Regular season: Jordy

DonHutson
05-27-2008, 09:52 AM
I don't expect any of these guys to have a huge impact in year one. I hope that Nelson's biggest short term impact will be in pushing Jones to stay on the ball for a full season. But as a likely #4 WR, anything more than 30 catches or so would be a good season. I voted for Nelson partly because I'd like to see what he can do, and partly because he'll make that whole unit even stronger.

Ideally Brohm doesn't play this year.

Realistically, Lee seems like a bit of a project. While he may be a starter down the road I won't be surprised if he can't beat out Williams and Blackmon for playing time this year.

Finley is the only pick that's not buried on the depth chart. He'll have the best opportunity to be a difference maker. Also the biggest opportunity to make mistakes. I would expect good moments and bad from him, but he has some talent. He'll be interesting to watch.

Scott Campbell
05-27-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm looking forward to watching Nelson play, just because I've got to see what so enamored Ted that he drafted a guy at our deepest position with their first pick.

MadScientist
05-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Going with Nelson as I expect him to be ready to play before Finley. I'm
hoping he shows great hands and takes over the number 3 slot.

KYPack
05-27-2008, 11:42 AM
I don't expect any of these guys to have a huge impact in year one. I hope that Nelson's biggest short term impact will be in pushing Jones to stay on the ball for a full season. But as a likely #4 WR, anything more than 30 catches or so would be a good season. I voted for Nelson partly because I'd like to see what he can do, and partly because he'll make that whole unit even stronger.

Ideally Brohm doesn't play this year.

Realistically, Lee seems like a bit of a project. While he may be a starter down the road I won't be surprised if he can't beat out Williams and Blackmon for playing time this year.

Finley is the only pick that's not buried on the depth chart. He'll have the best opportunity to be a difference maker. Also the biggest opportunity to make mistakes. I would expect good moments and bad from him, but he has some talent. He'll be interesting to watch.

Holy Smokers!

I totally agree with all of this. Now I don't have to post.

red
05-27-2008, 04:54 PM
No brainer for me- Mr Nelson. I'm chompin at the bit to see this guy play at the pro level. I can guarentee he ain't gonna cough up the ball twice against our division rival...........

thats because he probably won't have 2 catches in one game

Partial
05-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Hoping our Rookie TE is a game changer in a year or two personally.

red
05-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Hoping our Rookie TE is a game changer in a year or two personally.

i think it was tex that said it best.

this guy is all boom or bust

he has all the physical tools in the world, but hardly any coaching, only 2 years of college. he's very raw.

if he responds well to coaching and catches on, he'll be something special in a year or 2. but if he's dumb as a rock and doesn't learn a thing, he'll be next to worthless as a pro