PDA

View Full Version : CAP Extensions and the Future

CaliforniaCheez
05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
My understanding is the Packers are 25 million or 26 million under the cap depending on Chillar's incentives and that the entire rookie cap will be spent.

Obviously Mark Tauscher is deserving of an entension. He will likely get around 18 to 20 million for 3 years. If he is paid 15 million for this season and 1.5 million a year for the next 3 years that will eat up a large protion of the cap. It is a deal both sides would like.

Brady Poppinga has to earn the starting job for a big contract. If he does how can he get less than Chillars contract?? If he does he could get a 3 year extention worth 12 million with 6 million this year. That is sketchy.

If Poppinga doesn't keep the starting spot his 3 year extension might be worth 6 million with 3 million paid under this year's cap.

So with Poppinga getting a starters extension there would be about 4 million left to work out deals with punter Ryan, CB Tamon Williams, and perhaps Montgomery or Bush. If Popinga earns a back up contract, there would be 7 million for extenstion to back up players.

Cole wouldn't be worth more than 800K a season, Ryan wouldn't be worth more and neither would be Tramon Williams, Montgomery or Bush. Unless they really perform I can't see more than 500K up front for any one of them.

The Packers always want to keep 1.5 or 2 million in reserve than can be carried over if not needed.

It could be Poppinga is gone next season and money is pushed forward into 2009.

I can see the Packers being able to do every extenison that they want to do and still have money left over.

I don't think all those with contracts up after 2008 will get extensions. At the end of 2009 several players have contracts expiring. Money should be carried over to help with:
Clifton, Kampmann, Pickett, Rodgers, Collins, Colledge, Jennings, Spitz, Jolly, Coston, Hodge, Blackmon, Moll, Peprah, I don't think the Packers can afford all those contracts at once. Some they won't want to extend.

Spring of 2010 (22 months) those decisions will be made. The will be after a CBA vote. We can't stress now but there is some financial danger on the radar. How much of it the Packers bite off nest year will be far more interesting than the extensions this year.

Tarlam!
05-27-2008, 03:28 AM
Great idea for a thread, Cheeze. Surprised the Rats aren't all over it!

Coupla comments to your observations: TT won't pay silly money and his drafts are setting us up to replace older players demanding a king's ransome. Look at the Tackle position for evidence. He's quietly recruiting and developing Tackles behind Cliffy and Tausch. Now, if he can extend those two vets, my bet is he gladly will. But if they get to the point Rivera and Wahle got to, he sets them free and takes the compensatory picks the following year.

TT won't ever steer us into cap hell and he'll be developing behind vets to alleviate risks. It won't always work - see our current guard dilemma! But TT wasn't drafting before Wahle and Marco were ripe.

CaliforniaCheez
05-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Well not all of those players with contracts expiring after the 2009 season will get extensions. I don't see Clifton holding up for years beyond 2010 physically. I think he is gone after his contract.

The Poppinga options are key for me to watch
1) Big extension for earning a starting role.
2) small extension for being a quality back up.
3) No extension and Chillar is only a stop gap until a young draft pick starts.

I see # 3 above happening as some forward thinking by Ted Thompson.

With what is coming after 2009 (especially the possibility of a Rodgers contract) money will be saved on Poppinga and held over for when needed.

After 2009 these contracts expire:

O-line Colledge, Spitz, Coston, Moll, Clifton?
D-line Kampmann, Pickett, Jolly, Cole(next offseason)
DB Collins, Blackmon, Peprah
Rodgers
Jennings

This season after the draft picks are signed there will still be 25 million in cap room.
I see a large part being rolled over in preparation for some coming expensive contracs.

RashanGary
05-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Now we have Grant and Tauscher to work with.

Next year I could see Jennings and Kampman getting a deal bigger than Barnett's
Spitz, Pickett and Jolly getting nice deals
Collins, Colledge, Moll getting smaller deals
Rodgers is a wildcard right now

Either way, after locking up some core players of this team and a couple of our own playmakers, it's going to eat up big chunks of that cap space. I still think the situation will be healthy enough to continue to grow.