PDA

View Full Version : The Great SS scam

bobblehead
05-27-2008, 12:16 AM
OK, I alluded earlier to my finance background so I decided to put into type something I have done for friends many many times.

If you came to me at age 18 and said "I want to put 12.8% of my earnings into a retirement account taken out of my check at the end of each month. What can I do at age 65" it would be almost identical to social security.

Lets be VERY MODEST in our assumptions so there is NO POSSIBLE way anyone can accuse me of being unrealistic in my calculations.

Lets say you earn EXACTLY 20k every year (for simplicity, and I hope most of you earn more than that especially as an average).

Lets say you earn 5% on your money every year (will calculate the same as if you average 5%)
I choose this number cuz that allows you to carry peoples mortgages (at a great deal to them no less) use bank CD's, you know, the absolute safest investments known to mankind. This is a number that is unrealistically low, if any financial advisor tells you to expect 5% with him, fire him and find someone else.

OK on to the answer.

At age 65 you would have $484,000 (your money, not the gov'ts)
If you continue to earn a whopping 5% how much and how long can you draw?
If you live to be 100 you can draw $2442 per month without going broke.

This is the system that our government can't seem to manage. People earning 20k will NOT get 2442 a month and will not be able to leave money to their kids if they die before 100. LBJ raided the social security trust fund and every congress since simply puts the money in the budget and moves on. Now I ask you....are these the people you want in charge of your health care? I'll also ask you...doesn't bush's privatizing social security sound pretty good all of a sudden?

sidenote: if we change to 6% (still VERY low) it becomes
670,000 and withdrawal of 3820 a month, and if you only live to 95 you can withdraw over 4000 a month. See, the numbers get silly fast, and i'm still not even close to reasonable expectations.

Tarlam!
05-27-2008, 01:52 AM
Wow. That is amazing.

You are not even talking about pooling the money, you are merely suggesting individual pension planning.

Wow.

In Germany, we deal with it like an insurance. We pay 9% and our employer matches that, so 18% per month. Current generations finance past generations.

That all worked fine until we stopped having kids. Now, there aren't enough adults in my future to pay for my pension.

I really don't know what to do...

MJZiggy
05-27-2008, 06:18 AM
Tar, you've just summed up Social Security beautifully.

Scott Campbell
05-27-2008, 10:17 AM
And those numbers weren't even adjusted for inflation.

People need to finance their own retirements, and our government needs to get out of the retirement business once and for all.

texaspackerbacker
05-27-2008, 10:54 AM
The thing is, some people won't/don't/possibly can't.

Should we just let them wallow in depravity? That's the way it was for many before Social Security.

Not having people suffer from poverty--even those who in the strictest sense, may "deserve" to suffer from poverty--is a luxury that America can afford.

What we should NOT do, however, is stupidly raise taxes to "pay for" helping people, as that would mean sacrifice for all of us, when none is necessary.

oregonpackfan
05-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Bobblehead,

Johnson wasn't the only President to raid the Social Security funds. Our current George W. Bush presidency has done the same thing.

Privatizing social security might be the way to go but W's plan of privatizing SS was met with strong resistance from the Banking industry(which is heavily Repulican in membership and philosophy).

They pointed out the W's plan would actually cost the country more than the current SS system.

bobblehead
05-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Bobblehead,

Johnson wasn't the only President to raid the Social Security funds. Our current George W. Bush presidency has done the same thing.

Privatizing social security might be the way to go but W's plan of privatizing SS was met with strong resistance from the Banking industry(which is heavily Repulican in membership and philosophy).

They pointed out the W's plan would actually cost the country more than the current SS system.

Then they were wrong! Its that simple. It would cost us a little in the short term (because they currently spend all the money) but make it solvent in the long term. And I said that johnson changed the law and every congress since is doing it, you aren't enlightening me there.

Don't buy into the demgogeury that went on, his plan was sound and the only real solution. Congress (republicans too) didn't want it to go thru cuz then they would have lost 6.4% of your income cuz it would have gone into a private account, and they REALLY REALLY wanted to keep spending it now.