PDA

View Full Version : Information nerds can use

CaliforniaCheez
05-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Some players will not last until after the draft picks are signed.
I have researched and compiled a list.

Current players on the Packer Roster who are Practice Squad eligible.

Condrew Allen CB rookie
Jake Allen WR rookie
Allen Barbre OL
Conrad Bolston DT
Brian Brohm QB (if signed) rookie
Brennan Carvalho C rookie
Ryan Considine OL rookie
Ken DeBausche P rookie
Jermichael Finley TE (if signed) rookie
Matt Flynn QB (if signed) rookie
Chris Francies WR
Thomas Gafford LS
Breno Giacomini OL (if signed) rookie
Rod Harper WR
Justin Harrell DT
Spencer Havner LB
Joey Haynos TE rookie
Abdul Hodge LB
Tory Humphrey TE
J.J. Jansen LS
Ryan Keenan OL
Danny Lasanah LB rookie
Patrick Lee CB (if signed) rookie
Kregg Lumpkin RB rookie
Alfred Malone DT
Evan Moore TE rookie
Daniel Muir DL
Jordy Nelson WR (if signed) rookie
Mike Peterson TE rookie
Joe Porter CB
Ryan Powdrell FB
Johnny Quinn WR
Marcus Riley LB rookie
Josh Sitton OL (if signed) rookie
Tai Smith WR rookie
Cameron Stephenson OL
Brett Swain WR (if signed) rookie
Jeremy Thompson DE (if signed) rookie
Orrin Thompson OT
Joe Toledo OL
Kyle Ward CB rookie
Cory White RB
DeShawn Wynn RB

43 players or about half the team.

Sorry Bishop has just the minimum to never be eligible for the practice squad.
Some like Brohm, Harrell, and Barbre obviously will never clear waivers without a claim being made.

Don't post about Bodiford or Culver being eligible for the practice squad because it cannot happen.

Patler
05-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Some players will not last until after the draft picks are signed.
I have researched and compiled a list.

Current players on the Packer Roster who are Practice Squad eligible.

Condrew Allen CB rookie
Jake Allen WR rookie
Allen Barbre OL
Conrad Bolston DT
Brian Brohm QB (if signed) rookie
Brennan Carvalho C rookie
Ryan Considine OL rookie
Ken DeBausche P rookie
Jermichael Finley TE (if signed) rookie
Matt Flynn QB (if signed) rookie
Chris Francies WR
Thomas Gafford LS
Breno Giacomini OL (if signed) rookie
Rod Harper WR
Justin Harrell DT
Spencer Havner LB
Joey Haynos TE rookie
Abdul Hodge LB
Tory Humphrey TE
J.J. Jansen LS
Ryan Keenan OL
Danny Lasanah LB rookie
Patrick Lee CB (if signed) rookie
Kregg Lumpkin RB rookie
Alfred Malone DT
Evan Moore TE rookie
Daniel Muir DL
Jordy Nelson WR (if signed) rookie
Mike Peterson TE rookie
Joe Porter CB
Ryan Powdrell FB
Johnny Quinn WR
Marcus Riley LB rookie
Josh Sitton OL (if signed) rookie
Tai Smith WR rookie
Cameron Stephenson OL
Brett Swain WR (if signed) rookie
Jeremy Thompson DE (if signed) rookie
Orrin Thompson OT
Joe Toledo OL
Kyle Ward CB rookie
Cory White RB
DeShawn Wynn RB

43 players or about half the team.

Sorry Bishop has just the minimum to never be eligible for the practice squad.
Some like Brohm, Harrell, and Barbre obviously will never clear waivers without a claim being made.

Don't post about Bodiford or Culver being eligible for the practice squad because it cannot happen.

Nerds everywhere thank you!

Are you sure about your list?

I believe a player who isn't a free agent and has an "Accrued Season" is not Practice Squad eligible. Barbre, Hodge, Harrell, etc. and others have an accrued season. I think several others like Francies and Havner have been on the practice squad for two seasons already, so are not eligible this year. (Under some circumstances a third season is allowed.)

Note: You can certainly show me where I am wrong. I'm too lazy today to spend as much time on this as you have! :lol:

Chubbyhubby
05-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Long list. I can't see Brian Brohm being on the practice squad because he is the backup of Aarron Rodgers. Matt Flynn on the other hand... I doubt they will just carry 2 QB's this season. Unlike last season. When Brett was at the helm. Nice job on compiling the list.

CaliforniaCheez
05-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Nerds everywhere thank you!

Are you sure about your list?

I believe a player who isn't a free agent and has an "Accrued Season" is not Practice Squad eligible. Barbre, Hodge, Harrell, etc. and others have an accrued season. I think several others like Francies and Havner have been on the practice squad for two seasons already, so are not eligible this year. (Under some circumstances a third season is allowed.)

Note: You can certainly show me where I am wrong. I'm too lazy today to spend as much time on this as you have! :lol:

The rule is any player that has less than 4 accrued seasons;
and less than 10 games on the 45 player game day roster.

A lot of people get confused on this and they think some players can go on the practice squad after being cut. I hate reading opinions during the cuts when so many get this wrong.

Like I said some will not get cut and exposed; they are good enough to make the team. Some like Wynn may wind up there.

oregonpackfan
05-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Wow! Seeing that long list gives special meaning to the word "competition."

KYPack
05-31-2008, 09:45 PM
Long list. I can't see Brian Brohm being on the practice squad because he is the backup of Aarron Rodgers. Matt Flynn on the other hand... I doubt they will just carry 2 QB's this season. Unlike last season. When Brett was at the helm. Nice job on compiling the list.

I think Matt Flynn spends '08 on PS. I still think we pick up a vet to be our 3rd QB and work w/ Brohm a bit. Flynn is very green and has a long way to go to be an NFL QB.

Patler
05-31-2008, 10:18 PM
The rule is any player that has less than 4 accrued seasons;
and less than 10 games on the 45 player game day roster.

A lot of people get confused on this and they think some players can go on the practice squad after being cut. I hate reading opinions during the cuts when so many get this wrong.

Like I said some will not get cut and exposed; they are good enough to make the team. Some like Wynn may wind up there.

That's not the rule according to the collective bargaining agreement. One accrued NFL season or two practice squad seasons makes you ineligible:

Section 4. Eligibility:
(a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment.

The nine games or fewer caveat applies only to free agent players who have only one accrued season.

CaliforniaCheez
06-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Patler, I gave a simplified definition which is esstentially the same as what you posted. If you have a link to the CBA please share it.

Read the definition you posted again. A guy like Francies can be on the practice squad a third year.

I do not want to have to get into lawyer mode and have to look up the definitions of:
Accrued Season
served
NFL experience
free agent player
employed
season
player

I don't have a desire to argue. I am concerned with the truth.

I can tell you I looked at each player on the list and they have nine or fewer regular season games on the active list(less than 10) during their 2 or less accrued season(s) if they have any accrued season(s).

RashanGary
06-01-2008, 12:52 PM
That's not the rule according to the collective bargaining agreement. One accrued NFL season or two practice squad seasons makes you ineligible:

The nine games or fewer caveat applies only to free agent players who have only one accrued season.

It seems like CaliCheese is right here. The CBA you just quoted said players that have been on the active roster for fewer than 9 games in their only accrued season(s). I think you're blending the first line with the later lines in a way that isn't implied or intended.

RashanGary
06-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Section 4. Eligibility:
(a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment.

A more simplified version

Players who are eligable must meet one of the below requirements as well as not spending 2 seasons on the practice squad (may spend a 3rd year if the team by which the player is employed that season has at least 53 players on it's active/inactive list during the entire preiod of his employment)

a. Players who do not have an accrued season of NFL experience. (A number of thing could happen over a number of seasons that would still make this true.)

b. Players who were on the inactive list for fewer than 9 regular season games (no matter how many seasons they may have been on the inactive 53).

There are many combinations of games played over multiple seasons taht could make a player eligable. I think Cali is more correct here than Patler and explained it much easier to boot. However, I think he gave players 1 extra game of being on the active list. It should be fewer than 9, not 9 or fewer as I read it. Also, even if a player is on the active roster for 10 games, if it were split over 4 seasons (rarely if ever would happen), a player could still be eligable because he may still not have recieved an accrued season. There is an (or) statement that I think both of you are reading as an (and) statement.

CBA definition of an Accrued Season if you care to have it
Section 1. Accrued Seasons Calculation:
(a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games, but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice or Development Squad.
(b) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, for any League Year beginning with the 1993 League Year, a player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which he failed to report to such Club at least thirty days prior to the first regular season game of that season, or in which the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within thirty days of the application by the player, and shall be based upon all information relating to such hardship submitted by such date. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be final and binding upon all parties.

Patler
06-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Section 4. Eligibility:

(a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad:

(i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and

(ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s).

An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment.

All I did was add spaces, to break it into individual clauses. The "fewer than nine regular season games" applies only to "free agent players".

Read another way, a player with "an Accrued Season" is not eligible for the Practice Squad unless he qualifies under paragraph ii.

A third year is granted only if the player is otherwise eligible, except for the fact he has been on the Practice Squad for two years, and the team meets the limitations of the last paragraph quoted above.

RashanGary
06-01-2008, 01:49 PM
That's what I'm reading as well, Patler. It's an "either or" thing with paragraph i and ii but must also not have spent 2 years on the practice squad. For all practical purposes, cali's list should be pretty accurate because it is probably going to be very rare that a player meets clause i but not clause ii. The fewer than 10 games should be cahnged to fewer than 9 games and I think he'd have a very accurate list.

RashanGary
06-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Ah, I do see what you're saying with the free agent thing. I missed that. Drafted players (guys with longer contracts) will likely be ineligable sooner than non drafted players without contracts unless they are cut and become free agents. At the same time, Cali did say they would have to be cut and clear waiver so they could make it to free agent status and Cali did say that was unlikely with many of them.

texaspackerbacker
06-01-2008, 09:06 PM
What was said about clearing waivers--or not--is very significant. So is the fact that teams can sign players off somebody else's practice squad.

Therefore, I really think/hope the Packers will NOT sign a veteran QB. That would almost certainly mean losing Flynn. So unless he looks so hopeless that we don't want him anyway, it would be large mistake to sign a veteran clipboard holder--who would do little more than take reps in practice away from the rookies.

bobblehead
06-01-2008, 10:37 PM
we are required to pay a veteran QB like 3 times what we are gonna be required to pay flynn, that may or may not factor into it, but we would really have to believe the veteran is worth the extra coin.

The Leaper
06-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Why would Flynn have to be on the PS? The #3 QB typically is useless for the most part anyway. To me, Brohm would have to look really bad in preseason for us to get a veteran QB to place in front of him.

KYPack
06-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Why would Flynn have to be on the PS? The #3 QB typically is useless for the most part anyway. To me, Brohm would have to look really bad in preseason for us to get a veteran QB to place in front of him.

I think he will not make the regular season roster. Flynn is a prospect, but a very green prospect. The team basically can't move their offense with an unfinished product like Flynn.

I saw Flynn have an awful game against UK in one of LSU's two regular season losses. He was rattled, freaked and made numerous mistakes that cost the Tigers dearly. If he reacts to pressure poorly in college, what will he do against NFL competition?

It is entirely possible that the Pack will gamble and keep him on the roster during the season. As pointed out, the 3rd spot on the roster is a pretty iffy position.

But, we are in a new spot this year. ARod could get hurt and be lost for some games next season. That would elevate Flynn to the two spot and leave us in a bad situation. I'd feel a lot better with a guy who is seasoned and will have some idea of what to do in that back-up role. Flynn may be a good QB some day, but he ain't there yet.

oregonpackfan
06-02-2008, 09:54 AM
KY,

Your argument has some merit in watching someone struggle in college and wondering how he could handle the pro level. There are times, however, where college players surprise us.

I remember watching QB Derek Anderson's last year for the Oregon State Beavers. While he had a great arm at the college level, he was slow of foot and could not elude a blitz effectively. I saw a couple of games where opposing teams consistently blitzed against Anderson forcing him to panic and make mistakes.

When he was chosen in the 6th round, I recall saying to myself, "No way does he make it at the pro level." Needless to say, he surprised me and has had a very successful NFL career.

CaliforniaCheez
06-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I tried to simplify and explain and now it is somewhat mucked up.

I thought "less than 10" is an easier explanation "than 9 or fewer".

It is the same thing!!!

No one on the list has more than 7.

I know Brohm and Lee are not going to be on the Practices squad. I listed them because if I didn't I would hear from some naysayer about them being possibilities and not being included. I tried to incorporate a whole list.

Good luck on something less simple like the salary cap.

Where are some of you getting your CBA information??????????

KYPack
06-02-2008, 03:27 PM
KY,

Your argument has some merit in watching someone struggle in college and wondering how he could handle the pro level. There are times, however, where college players surprise us.

I remember watching QB Derek Anderson's last year for the Oregon State Beavers. While he had a great arm at the college level, he was slow of foot and could not elude a blitz effectively. I saw a couple of games where opposing teams consistently blitzed against Anderson forcing him to panic and make mistakes.

When he was chosen in the 6th round, I recall saying to myself, "No way does he make it at the pro level." Needless to say, he surprised me and has had a very successful NFL career.

One game can be a poor guide to a player's abilities in the pro game. That said, Flynn is a real project with a long way to go to be an NFL QB.

He was sacked several tines, mainly due to his inability to read and react to exotic blitzes. He also makes a lot of poor choices when rattled.

Here are his statistics for that game:

Passing Att-Cmp-Int Yds TD Long Sack
-------------------------------------------------
Matt Flynn 35-17-1 130 1 18 3

I was impressed with a QB with pro potential in that game. Andre Woodsen played like the poor man's Vince Young for KY. I was hoping we'd get him with one of our lower round picks.

Both guys are a long way off and won't be NFL ready til 2010 or so. I have my doubts that Flynn will ever get to that level. It can happen, Anderson is a great example of that.

Guiness
06-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Ah, I do see what you're saying with the free agent thing. I missed that. Drafted players (guys with longer contracts) will likely be ineligable sooner than non drafted players without contracts unless they are cut and become free agents. At the same time, Cali did say they would have to be cut and clear waiver so they could make it to free agent status and Cali did say that was unlikely with many of them.

The free agent statement confuses me a bit as well. Does that mean that if a guy could be ineligible for one team's PS, but could go on someone else's?

I.E. You draft a guy, and he stays on the roster for the season, gaining an accrued year. But never sees the active list. He's PS not eligible, because you didn't get him as an FA. You cut him, someone else signs him (as an FA) and can put him on the PS because he was an FA and has less than 9 games on the active list?

But...you have to cut a guy, then re-sign him to the PS anyways, don't you? You can't put them on there with their rookie contract, can you?