PDA

View Full Version : Surprise/Disappoint - Fun off-season predictions

packers11
05-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Every year around this time every team has the most optimistic goal which is to reach the Super Bowl... But every year there are teams that disappoint and teams that reach above their expectations...

Name some teams that you think will surprise people this year...
Name some teams that you think will disappoint people this year...

(try to keep the packers out of the subject, unless you think they are going to be 1-15)

I'll go first : My surprise teams are :

1) Oakland Raiders - Yes I know, I never thought this team could rebound with Al Davis at the helm... But I think they will surprise many people by getting 7-8 wins this season... They don't play in that great of a division and their team looks solid on paper... They have arguably the best cb duo in the NFL and if J.Russell can pull it together on offesne I think this team has a lot of firepower with McFadden in the backfield...

2. Baltimore Ravens - With Joe Flacco looking like a star in OTA's (not that it matters much) I personally thought he was the best QB coming out of the draft this year. With a solid defense already in place, I think Flacco can get this slow moving offense to put some points on the board... People should not sleep on this team, and don't be surprised if they are in the AFC wildcard seed...

Other Nominations : Bills, Arizona

My Disappointments teams are :

1. The 49ers - This is the year when everyone will call for A.Smith's head and consider him a bust. Thier draft has no rookie that could have an immediate impact for this team (especially because they didn't even have a first round pick)... They have a decent cb duo with slow safeties and a overrated front 7... Their receiving corps is lacking fire power (no offense to I.Bruce) but hes a bit to old to be #1 on any team... Look for this team to be picking 1-5 in next years draft...

2. The Patriots - After the 18-1 run and the Super Bowl jinx against them, I see this team making the playoffs but not faring well in them.. L. Maroney is not the answer at RB , he dances way to much at the line, and doesn't hit the holes with power. God for bid Welker or Moss go down, this team would be doomed because of the depth at the WR... The defense can not take over games like it used to with an old LB corps and a secondary with all average at best players back there... I see this team making the playoffs because of the bad division they are in, but don't expect them in the Super Bowl next year (sorry Bulldog)...

Other Nominations : Giants, Vikings

MJZiggy
05-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Don't forget the Bears are still riding with Rex. I wonder if they even sniff the playoffs unless someone in Halas Hall has a major wildcard up their sleeve...

bobblehead
05-31-2008, 02:49 PM
I gotta say the Dophins surprise. They took care of the second most important position on offense (LT) and with parcells on board, prima donna players past their prime will be eliminated. he has turned around every program he has ever been involved in by going high character, good work ethic type players. Hmmmm.....sounds a bit like TT.

Now I'm not predicting 10-6, but 7-9 seems like a big improvement from 1-15.

bobblehead
05-31-2008, 02:53 PM
OK, disappointment?

how about the vikings and browns. Both traded away their drafts. Both are subscribing to the theory that a couple players make a team. The vikings have no QB and I'm not sold on the browns guy yet, and QB is still the most important thing on a team.

The browns are talking division title, I wouldn't be surprised to see 8-8.

Vikes are talking division title, I wouldn't be surprised to see 7-9 with 16 straight unders coming in (I'm a vegas boy now, so I always look at the betting angle.)

KYPack
05-31-2008, 09:40 PM
2. The Patriots - After the 18-1 run and the Super Bowl jinx against them, I see this team making the playoffs but not faring well in them.. L. Maroney is not the answer at RB , he dances way to much at the line, and doesn't hit the holes with power. God for bid Welker or Moss go down, this team would be doomed because of the depth at the WR... The defense can not take over games like it used to with an old LB corps and a secondary with all average at best players back there... I see this team making the playoffs because of the bad division they are in, but don't expect them in the Super Bowl next year (sorry Bulldog)...

Other Nominations : Giants, Vikings

Agree with everything but your NE point.

Maroney is a very solid back. Quick, great power and has a lot of shake for a big guy. Good blocker and rarely misses a blitz pick-up. He must have had a bad game that you saw, but in general, this guy is a tough player. i'd take him on our team in a minute.

oregonpackfan
05-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Now I'm not predicting 10-6, but 7-9 seems like a big improvement from 1-15.[/quote]

Going from 1 win to 7 wins would be a 700% improvement! Yes, most teams would love to have that percentage of improvement. :)

bobblehead
05-31-2008, 11:33 PM
technically a 600% improvement, but point taken.

texaspackerbacker
06-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Surprise: Vikings, Texans, Titans, Rams

Disappoint: Giants, Redskins, Jaguars, Panthers

packers11
06-02-2008, 01:35 PM
KY I live in NE; I watched most games... What game of Maroney's did you watch??? I could only recall one or two games that you could consider solid... I liked their #2 RB morris more than maroney, and i think he had more of the carries before he landed on IR...

KYPack
06-02-2008, 02:31 PM
KY I live in NE; I watched most games... What game of Maroney's did you watch??? I could only recall one or two games that you could consider solid... I liked their #2 RB morris more than maroney, and i think he had more of the carries before he landed on IR...

I saw him play live vs Cincy when he was a rook & he was very impressive. He ain't tall, but he's a strong kid. He did a lot of stuff I liked, one of which was he didn't dance. He saved his dancing for the dance floor & hit the hole with authority. He was real solid in pass pro and blitz pick-up.

Now you see him more than I do, he happened to have a great game that I attended.

I didn't look up his numbers until after I posted & I see he doesn't knock you out statistically. NE really runs enuff to keep the safeties up so they can throw. I like the kid, but you could be right. I will watch this season and will hassle the shit out of you if he has a big year.

If he sucks, I'll slink away and not post anything, just like everybody else.

packers11
10-20-2008, 05:22 PM
BUMP !

I was on with the Bills being a suprise! :)

And I was so correct about Maroney... There he goes, back to the IR...