PDA

View Full Version : Barbre ready for change of guard

Tarlam!
06-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Allen Barbre's offseason work in the weight room has helped him to an even-money chance or better to beat out incumbent Daryn Colledge for the Green Bay Packers' starting job at left guard.

Link (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080601/PKR01/806010636/1058&GID=jEbPUP3l7Z6IHnbiT/FSTVCLVlqdI3Mh/tRl1+SwIoU%3D)

The Packers have been high on Barbre's talent since the end of his rookie training camp last year, so no matter what happened this offseason, he had a shot at the starting job at left guard this year. But the 2007 fourth-round draft pick from Division II Missouri Southern has enhanced his chances of winning the battle by embracing the Packers' offseason workout program and making substantial physical gains.

The program began in mid-March, and by the time it ended in early May, he'd added 16 pounds of lean muscle mass and lost 10 pounds of fat as measured by a body composition scan the Packers purchased last year.

"Very significant," said Rock Gullickson, the Packers' strength and conditioning coach, of Barbre's improvement. "When I first saw (the test results) I was, 'Gee, whiz.' Being such a young guy and seeing his body make that much of a change, he's into it now. He's like, what else can I do? He's checking on his nutrition, and we're talking about better ways to snack and get his protein into him. I'm curious to see how much further he can take it."

The competition between Colledge and Barbre should be one of the most interesting during the Packers' training camp, because Colledge has been working out in Green Bay all offseason and has the advantage of starting 28 regular-season games in the Packers' offense in his two years in the NFL.

Colledge said he started working out 2½ weeks after the Packers' NFC championship loss to the New York Giants on Jan. 20 and has added about 10 pounds of lean muscle mass and dropped his body fat about three percentage points from last year. At organized team activities practices that started last week, he weighed 310 pounds, which is 5 pounds heavier than last season.

One of Colledge's greatest shortcomings at guard is his play strength — he too often was overpowered by defensive tackles in the run game. He made strength gains last offseason, his first time through the Packers' offseason program, and is hoping the gains this year plus his ingrained knowledge of the offense will make for more stout play.

"This year, I really got to focus on being in the weight room," Colledge said, "I wasn't worried about knowing my job, because now I know it, so this year was really big for me physically. It paid off. I feel great. Rock thinks I've been doing really well, so I think I'm headed in the right direction."

The battle is crucial, because the Packers signed only one free agent, linebacker Brandon Chillar, and are looking for improvement from their existing roster to get better despite the loss of quarterback Brett Favre. One of the areas that can grow most is the offensive line, where the Packers had two second-year players — Colledge and Jason Spitz — as starters last season.

General Manager Ted Thompson drafted Colledge, Spitz and Barbre, among others, to fill the guard positions that were a disaster in 2005. Though the offensive line pass-blocked well last season, there were major inconsistencies in the run game, which didn't become productive until Ryan Grant emerged from the bottom of the depth chart to almost single-handedly lift it starting in the seventh game.

"I fully expect this line to be much better than it was last year," said James Campen, the Packers' offensive line coach.

The Packers drafted Barbre (6-foot-4, 300) last year as a raw but interesting prospect from Missouri Southern, where he played left tackle and was athletic enough that he played as an outside gunner on its punt-coverage team. Because of his raw talent, he probably was farther along at the end of training camp than Colledge was at the end of his first camp, but Barbre's lack of overall awareness and Colledge's edge in experience kept Barbre on the bench.

This year, the competition is wide open. In the OTA practices, the two have alternated days working with the No. 1 offense, and that's likely to continue into training camp until one separates from the other.

The winner will be decided on the practice field, so the Packers aren't saying much, but it's clear they think Barbre has a combination of physical talent and temperament to be a top-caliber offensive lineman.

"If you went back 365 days, he's a much different guy than he was then," said Joe Philbin, the Packers' offensive coordinator. "A lot more comfortable in the system, knows where he's going. He's got some fine athletic ability."

Tarlam!
06-01-2008, 10:35 AM
I find this story less fluffy than the Rouse piece. Especially since we know they've been high on the guy for a while and considering his competition is anything but secure.

Anyone fancy his chances? I do. He looks a lot bigger than Colledge and he is said to have a mean streak, something I don't see in Colledge.

CaliforniaCheez
06-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Colledge is more mobile and is a more natural tackle.

Colledge has been gaining experience while starting.

Eventually Colledge at Tackle and Barbre at Guard would be best for the Packers.

RashanGary
06-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't know if Colledge is such a natural tackle. He looks like a guard to me. He's 310 lbs. That's pretty average for an OG. He doesn't look anywhere near as lengthy as most LT's. It sounds like Barbre is 306 right now. He was 300 then he gained 16 lbs of muscle and lost 10 lbs of fat with a net gain of 6 lbs. They're about the same size. Barbre seems a little more naturally powerfull and a litlte more athletic to me, but Colledge is a smarter guy.

As much as we expected out of Colledge early, it really does take lineman 2 or 3 years to really get it a lot of the time. I'm not high on him at all. I never really was, but I'm not giving up on him just yet either. This is his make or break year for me. This is Coston and Molls make or break years too. Barbre has an extra year IMO.

bobblehead
06-01-2008, 01:17 PM
I thought College looked very natural at tackle the few times we have seen him there. He is taller than babre so I think he can still add a few more pounds. That won't put him in typical tackle weight, but ZBS tackle weight is less.

I personally think this is THE year for college. I have never been as down on him as some here, I just think he was inconsistent (which comes from having to think about what you are going to do). If he truly KNOWS the offense like he should, I think you could see the best of him on every play, and I think most would agree when he plays to his ability he is no slouch. Its when he looks lost that we have problems.

Can't say a thing about babre, haven't actually seen him play...like what I hear though. OL is gonna be the best overall competition in camp. Its feasible that we could come out with (not likely) Clifton, Babre, Spitz, Coston, Tauscher. Or it could be clifton, college, wells, coston, tauscher. Maybe even clifton, babre, wells, spitz, tauscher. Maybe one of the rookies just plays lights out and wins the RG spot. We just really have NO CLUE how this will pan out, I just hope thats because of depth of talent and not lack of talent :)

rbaloha1
06-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Colledge is more mobile and is a more natural tackle.

Colledge has been gaining experience while starting.

Eventually Colledge at Tackle and Barbre at Guard would be best for the Packers.

Noted. Colledge played left tackle at Boise State. Played well but not as dominant as Ryan Clady.

DC still does not appear comfortable at guard. As the article mentions, DC stills gets overpowered at the point of attack.

The Packers should consider grooming DC to take over for Clifton. DC may ultimately prove to be a better left tackle than CC in the zone blocking scheme. DC has good skills but is clearly out of position.

Fritz
06-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I see Colledge starting at left tackle - possibly next year, if Clifton's body continues to break down. Barbre looks like the heir at left guard, and if "Orange" Junius doesn't become proficient at both center and guard, as a backup, he's gone.

KYPack
06-02-2008, 02:54 PM
I see Colledge starting at left tackle - possibly next year, if Clifton's body continues to break down. Barbre looks like the heir at left guard, and if "Orange" Junius doesn't become proficient at both center and guard, as a backup, he's gone.

I went to the last game against the Lions. Saw Brett's last regular season game, but of course didn't realize it at the time.

In the second half, Barbre played LG and Colledge played LT. Both guys looked great. Barbre is a strong, confident guy, who asserted himself right away. He looked like he'd been playing the position for several seasons, instead of doing his first work at the job. I jumped on his bandwagon to play LG right after that game.

The other kid that knocked me out was Colledge. He is much more comfortable at tackle than guard. LT is a quick position, where LG is a muscle-type gig. Colledge is a hell of an athlete, but he isn't much of a bruiser. Colledge also looked like he had found a home. He's not a Chad Clifton, but Chad is one play from the end of his career, with all the knicks he's taken.

These two could well be our left side in the near future. It seems like Barbre is being primed to take the LG starting job.

DonHutson
06-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't care who it is, but I'd like to see SOMEBODY actually WIN a starting OG job as opposed to stumbling into a starting job ass-backward.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Barbre makes it happen.